~Official "It's Thursday, I Should Call for a Loyola Status Check" Thread~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For me... I call because I think it helps me feel better to be doing something. This whole process is so out of our hands, just waiting and hoping and dreaming.

Calling gives me a voice, some words, a little comfort? Like I hear "still under review" and it lets me breathe a tiny sigh of relief that I'm still in it.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed before Christmas and have not heard anything yet. I thought I was told that the adcoms would be meeting today, but from what people have said on here they met on 1/7, which does make sense because they are supposed to meet on Mondays. My friend who got in about two months ago lives within an hour of Loyola and I think it took about 5 days for the letter to arrive. Again from what I have seen on here, sometimes the adcom calls accepted students, but not every accepted student, so I guess since we have not been called we will just need to wait for the letter

Ok, so here's my deal. I just got called for an interview to Stritch today.

I don't know if I want to go. I already have an acceptance at Jeff, and I absolutely love that school. Georgetown will be getting back to me at the end of the month, and I think I did GREAT at my interview. I want to go to a school that is Jesuit in spirit, and both of those schools easily fit the bill.

At the same time, though, I applied to Stritch for a reason. I liked what I saw on paper about the school, and would LOVE to visit. But I'm not so sure I can afford to - I have the money to go, but the money could easily be saved for moving in to my new apartment in DC or Philly.

Should I interview? Will Loyola blow me away? Will I just be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist this late in the game? Is it worth the $200?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so here's my deal. I just got called for an interview to Stritch today.

I don't know if I want to go. I already have an acceptance at Jeff, and I absolutely love that school. Georgetown will be getting back to me at the end of the month, and I think I did GREAT at my interview. I want to go to a school that is Jesuit in spirit, and both of those schools easily fit the bill.

At the same time, though, I applied to Stritch for a reason. I liked what I saw on paper about the school, and would LOVE to visit. But I'm not so sure I can afford to - I have the money to go, but the money could easily be saved for moving in to my new apartment in DC or Philly.

Should I interview? Will Loyola blow me away? Will I just be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist this late in the game? Is it worth the $200?

The decision is ultimately yours. I didn't think I would like Loyola. I only applied because I have legacy of sorts there (not that they care) and because it cost me absolutely nothing to interview there. After interviewing there, however, I absolutely LOVED it. It's a great school and everyone was so nice, I walked away astonished.

The decision is ultimately yours. I didn't think I would like Loyola. I only applied because I have legacy of sorts there (not that they care) and because it cost me absolutely nothing to interview there. After interviewing there, however, I absolutely LOVED it. It's a great school and everyone was so nice, I walked away astonished.

I was afraid someone would say that! :D

Any idea how full the class is by now? I don't go on these interviews to be put on a stinkin' waitlist :p

Any idea how full the class is by now? I don't go on these interviews to be put on a stinkin' waitlist :p

This school is horrible! Don't go to the interview and give me that spot! :D

Loyola is fantastic. It has a really unique feel to it. Like all schools, it's unlike any other school out there. Still, it all depends on what you are looking for in a school. It's well known for putting out excellent clinical physicians. Its research program is rapidly expanding, but its main reputation is in making compassionate physicians. The students there love it, and their class time is generally from 8-noon. Most of the rest of the day is spent in the hospital or studying. The medical school is focused in one building, which is beautiful and state-of-the-art. It has a big open atrium in the middle, and it totally makes the place feel close-knit.

Those were my impressions anyway. Jeff and Georgetown are great too. What exactly are you looking to do?

I called today and they told me that my file is "up for review again this february." Is that different from "marked for further review?"

Those were my impressions anyway. Jeff and Georgetown are great too. What exactly are you looking to do?

Most certainly clinical. Specialty is up in the air - perhaps psych, perhaps neuro. Not surgery.

for those who were told that their application was reviewed on monday 1/7, anyone get a letter yet?

Most certainly clinical. Specialty is up in the air - perhaps psych, perhaps neuro. Not surgery.

I don't know much about the Jesuit traditions of the other ones, but Loyola has you follow a chaplain around for a while, which apparently is fantastic for your ethics training. They've also got lots of medical service trips to places in the Caribbean.

As for the letters, I was told when I was there that they mail them within 48 hours of the meeting. So add two days to the meeting, which is in the evening, and however long it takes USPS to get something from Maywood to wherever you live, and you should have your wait period.

has anyone else gotten that yours will be possibly rereviewed by april?? is this basically a rejection?? I know my stats are terribly low for the school, but I had hope anyway.

do you think if I called in every thurs or wrote an interest letter it would help?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I called them today, and got the Dean of Admissions. I asked her upfront whether the class was filled and whether it was worth my time to interview. She said that the class was not filled, and that I could certainly get a spot outside of the waitlist.

So, seeing as I love the school, it's mission, what it stands for, and its location, I'll go check it out. Anyone else going on the 28th? :)

for those who were told that their application was reviewed on monday 1/7, anyone get a letter yet?

waitlisted......:(, but i kind of expected it with my MCAT score, i guess ill have to wait a while for a rejection

I called in today and I'm going to be reviewed again in February :(

I've heard that recently (i.e. since last year or so) Loyola has been spreading out its admissions process. Last year there were individuals who interviewed in March for an actual spot, not waitlist. But that's all just word of mouth...Who knows?

I called this morning, as well, and got the "they want to take a look at your file again" response. It's the "again" that really gets me! What do you mean "again"? Haha. Anywho, they told me to call back in March if I don't hear back. MARCH! Do they know that it's January? I guess I just have to chill, right?

so i called this morning and after being put on hold like 3 times...i finally was told your file is final. it's going to be reviewed again sometime in february..call if u don't hear from us in march..
now what the hell does that mean??
i mean how long does it take to figure out if u want me or not??
and i got a letter from temple saying they have already fulfilled their entering class of 180 out of 9,700 applicants and loyola cant seem to get it straight..

personally, i am tired of waiting and waiting and waiting.
just tell me.. I want it so bad but you never get what you want apparently.

I called this morning, as well, and got the "they want to take a look at your file again" response. It's the "again" that really gets me! What do you mean "again"? Haha. Anywho, they told me to call back in March if I don't hear back. MARCH! Do they know that it's January? I guess I just have to chill, right?

got the same msg. oh well. i expect to hear back with a :thumbup: or a :thumbdown: by MARCH.

i mean how long does it take to figure out if u want me or not??
and i got a letter from temple saying they have already fulfilled their entering class of 180 out of 9,700 applicants and loyola cant seem to get it straight..

personally, i am tired of waiting and waiting and waiting.
just tell me.. I want it so bad but you never get what you want apparently.

I've heard Loyola's admission process proceeds much slower most schools. And from prior posts, it looks like Loyola hasn't filled their class yet. Also, I've heard they review, re-review, and then re-review many applicants. I guess it's just their way.

I completely understand your desire to know if you've got a shot or not, but unfortunately for many schools, they won't send out rejections until March.

Good luck! :luck:

I've heard that recently (i.e. since last year or so) Loyola has been spreading out its admissions process. Last year there were individuals who interviewed in March for an actual spot, not waitlist. But that's all just word of mouth...Who knows?

I was told by Rosemary (one of the admissions staff most of you have probably spoke with...) that there are open seats in February, though not many. I don't know about March, but I would imagine (and hope!) at least a few are still open.

called today and was told that my application is "up for its final review sometime in February." As much as I wanted to hear something about feb rather than march or april, I didn't like the sound of "its final review"....... I'm begging you loyola. please take me.

I have a friend who just interviewed there last week. She said that they had told her at the interview that the class was pretty much full and there are just a few spots left.

I have a friend who just interviewed there last week. She said that they had told her at the interview that the class was pretty much full and there are just a few spots left.

That's completely at odd with what I was told when I interviewed: that they're keeping spots open through the time they are interviewing in order to prevent the "interviewing for waitlist" thing from happening

The next meeting is on 1/28, so a bunch of us will know by then. I was told that we were still interviewing for direct admission, so there's at least some left.

Loyola was really cool. It gave me a serious case of senioritis/get-me-the-heck-out-of-college-already-ism.

up for review again in Feb too. do they even give interviews then? i'm feeling a little downtrodden :(

Called for the FIRST time today since being complete with Loyola since August (I HATE calling people....anyone)

"Up for review in February."

Have they rejected anyone yet??

Called for the FIRST time today since being complete with Loyola since August (I HATE calling people....anyone)

I remember seeing that they rejected some people pre-secondary. I don't think I've seen anyone post a post-secondary or post-interview rejection yet though.

Loyola seems to send out pre-secondary rejections, but most (if not all) post-secondary but pre-interview rejections come in April. As they do actively consider applicants they sent a secondary to until then end of their interview season. If you do get an interview, it is highly unlikely that you will get a post-interview rejection. When I interviewed at Loyola last week, Dean Norstrom explained that after the interview you can be directly admitted, placed on the alternate list, put on hold, or rejected. She said in recent years they send out very few (she said about 5) post-interview rejections. If you are put on hold, they are asking you for some more information before deciding. The alternate list is ranked in late April/early May after ALL interviews are complete. If you end up on the alternate list she recommended you update them with any relevant materials, i.e. transcripts. I think she also said that anywhere from 15-30% or so of the waitlist tends to be accepted.

Hope this info helps and good luck to all! :luck:

I asked about this and they told me that they hold off on rejecting anyone post-secondary until the end of the application cycle, which i think may mean sometime in may.

edit: what cowgirl said :)

I called and was told I am up for my final review sometime between now and February.....

Scary and exciting at the same time. The word "final" makes me nervous.
I'll just keep crossing my fingers.

I called for the first time in a while and was told that I would be reviewed in the next few weeks...I hope this is a good thing cause I am so obsessed with Loyola:love:, I may see if I can go sit in on a class since the campus is only about 15 mi away from my school and probably end up torturing myself further by being there:laugh:...

Only downside to loyola is that I heard that half the class is failing PCM...but I'm sure they wouldn't let people fail out, harder than it sounds though...

:D:):rolleyes::);):):rolleyes:
dream dream dream dream

I missed her call and she left a voicemail, and I also received this in my e-mail box today...... I think I nearly passed out with ecstaticness!!!!

Dear Applicant:

Your application for admission to the 2008 entering class has been reviewed by our Committee on Admissions. We are pleased to invite you to interview at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine....

:love: Loyola :love:

dream dream dream dream

I missed her call and she left a voicemail, and I also received this in my e-mail box today...... I think I nearly passed out with ecstaticness!!!!

Dear Applicant:

Your application for admission to the 2008 entering class has been reviewed by our Committee on Admissions. We are pleased to invite you to interview at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine....

CONGRADS!!!! Thats awesome!

dream dream dream dream

Dear Applicant:

Conratulations! My heart skipped a beat just reading their email to you!

When were you complete and when is your interview?

Thank you DaBears and Tribeca!!!! :)

I'm still in a happy daze.... I've been in this thread for so long, checking in every Thursday with my status. oh yay! haha

Tribeca, I was complete mid-October and my interview is scheduled for late Feb.

dream dream dream dream

Dear Applicant:

Congrats! I hope that your interview goes very well--tell us how it goes!

-Brent

Congrats, lavenderdoll - good luck at your interview! And I really hope the rest of you get invites soon as well! :luck:

Especially brent. Having the nerve to only apply to your one dream medical school should absolutely equal an automatic invite.

Thank you Playmesomemusic, Brent, and Phoenix!!!!!! :)

I was invited today actually.
January 19th.... a day of utter elatedness, yay! I am so super happy.

Brent, I hope you are invited soon. I totally respect your passion and I wish you luck! Everyone else too!! Then we can all be classmates :rolleyes:

Thanks Phoenix and LavenderDoll.

Phoenix--I too wish it would equal an automatic interview--at it possibly could. I still haven't explicitly told Loyola that they're the only school I'm applying too (though I know at least one Loyola student who was in my post-bac program told the admissions staff I was only applying there, but I don't know if that info got passed on to the admissions committee).

I tried to compromise a bit between what my advisors told me and what I kind of wanted to do--and sent an update letter with a paragraph or two restating my interest in Loyola more strongly than before--but not explicitly saying Loyola was my only choice. If February comes around and I still don't have an invite, I will certainly let Loyola know all my feelings, at the risk of sounding like I'm "begging." But from what I've heard, I don't think it would sound like that to the Loyola staff. And my advisors say they'll call Loyola for me too and advocate for me if February comes around without an interview. I guess that's what you pay $30,000 a year for at a private post-bac program...

I just hope I don't have to get into Loyola the way Rudy got into Notre Dame (for anyone who's seen the movie...) and take four years (or was it two?) to get into my dream school! Either way, I'm no good at football, but then I guess, neither was he.