~Official "It's Thursday, I Should Call for a Loyola Status Check" Thread~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoFlaKnight

The Dark Knight
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured this would be a good place for those applying to Loyola to vent about how methodically & thoroughly they are going through packets:) So here goes...I called today and was told that my app was finally reviewed (after being complete for a month) and put within a smaller pile to be further reviewed...Is this a good thing, in the sense that if they were interested in my app they would have flagged it for an interview, instead of what seems to me like a 'we're not interested right now'? I've heard Loyola is known for not exactly speeding through apps and actually looking through a file and reading everything to make sure you're a good fit w/ the school-which I really like and hope every school does. If any current applicants or current Loyola students have any deeper insight, it would be much appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

There is another Loyola thread on here somewhere (it mysteriously jumps to the top of the SDN board on Thursdays!) where this has been discussed a great deal. I think the jist of the situation is that you are still alive for the first round of interviews with the "flagged for review" designation. If you get the "we'll look at you after the first of the year" than they are considering you for the second round, it seems. Either way you fine as they are very slow and meticulous in their screening.

There is another Loyola thread on here somewhere (it mysteriously jumps to the top of the SDN board on Thursdays!) where this has been discussed a great deal. I think the jist of the situation is that you are still alive for the first round of interviews with the "flagged for review" designation. If you get the "we'll look at you after the first of the year" than they are considering you for the second round, it seems. Either way you fine as they are very slow and meticulous in their screening.

Thank you for the input:thumbup:...you're definitely right about the meticulous thing, it doesn't bother me that they take their time, I just feel it would be awesome if I met their rigorous screening, almost as if they like me for how I come across from my writing and who I would be as a physician rather than being just a number...Plus calling only on Thursday chugs....I tried DAFS and couldn't find that other thread, would anyone happen to have a link to it?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just called and they told me that my application had been reviewed and that they are planning to review it again after Jan 1st. Does anyone know what that means?? Is it good or bad? Thanks!

They told me the exact same thing. I really don't think it's good news. It's prolly their way of saying that they're just waiting if there's enough people worse than me, then they'll let me know. This is just what I'm guessing, but I don't know how to put a good spin on it.

So I just called and they told me that my application had been reviewed and that they are planning to review it again after Jan 1st. Does anyone know what that means?? Is it good or bad? Thanks!

My good spin was "Hey, at least I'm still in the game and haven't been rejected yet." Then I found out that nobody is going to be rejected post-secondary until January. Oh well.

So yeah....I called them again and it turned out I was put into the 'bad' pile to be reviewed after New Years...

...*kills self*

So yeah....I called them again and it turned out I was put into the 'bad' pile to be reviewed after New Years...

...*kills self*

So "good" pile is between now and Dec 1st? Hmm.

I exercised restraint today and didn't call! I'm very proud of myself.

I called and they said I was under review by the admissions committee. Does this mean that I'm in the group they are looking at for an interview now? Last time I called was a few weeks ago and they said I was complete but not reviewed and to call back in 4 weeks. Anyone else experience this?

My good spin was "Hey, at least I'm still in the game and haven't been rejected yet." Then I found out that nobody is going to be rejected post-secondary until January. Oh well.

I called and had a glimmer of hope for the Jan re-review...and then I read that.

Bummer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and they said I was under review by the admissions committee. Does this mean that I'm in the group they are looking at for an interview now? Last time I called was a few weeks ago and they said I was complete but not reviewed and to call back in 4 weeks. Anyone else experience this?

Hi Kelbear,

What that means is that they're reviewing your application, just as they review everyone's application initially. It's possible that after the first review they will offer you an interview; it seems more common that they will then flag you for further review--most applicants go through many reviews at Loyola. I've been reviewed once and was told I was flagged for further review between Oct. 25 and mid-December.

I wish you the best

-Brent

Thank you Brent. That's what I thought it meant. Here's to getting tagged;)Good luck to you as well!

Anybody call Loyola for an update (especially if you have been flagged for further review)?

i know i have done this before, but i always forget to bring the loyola number to work with me. anyone have it on hand?

Ugh. My file "...has been reviewed and is scheduled for another review between now and the end of December."

Is anyone who was going to be re-reviewed in December going to call tomorrow? I have mixed feelings... they will call me if they want to interview me. Or do they tell you about your invite sometimes when you call to check your status?

hi everyone,

just wanted to share my Loyola experience. I love this school, and so I was disappointed when after several (maybe too many...) phone calls I learned I was in the "scheduled to be re-reviewed after the first of the year" pile. Several weeks later (the day before Thanksgiving, to be exact) I received a phone call from the office of admissions offering me an interview for December. I went to the interview yesterday and left more in love with this school than ever. So...I know it's anecdotal evidence at best, but no one should be giving up hope at this point, regardless of what pile you are in. :)

-

Last edited:
Called today.... "flagged for further review"....I'm supposed to call in Mid January if I dont hear anything. Suppose this means I'm still alive right?

I got the same information today. Woman I spoke to said that they review applications all through December and they only have off for Christmas and New Years. At least one school makes me feel like my application fee was worth it. They seem to be putting in the time and dedication to our applications.

Called today.... "flagged for further review"....I'm supposed to call in Mid January if I dont hear anything. Suppose this means I'm still alive right?

got the same response today. :bullcrap:

nobody answering phones at loyola?? its just ringing and ringing.. this is my first status check.. is this normal?

No they aren't answering me either. C'mon Loyola, I get that you won't interview me but at least pick up the damn phone.

finally got a hold of someone.. she said sure let me transfer you to my phone.. and then it transfered and went to voicemail.. ahhh!!! so i left a voicemail.. but geesh!! i guess i have to call back again later.

nobody answering phones at loyola?? its just ringing and ringing.. this is my first status check.. is this normal?

Hang in there - if you called when you posted this, it was the middle of lunch hour.

Good luck everybody! Loyola is awesome. The admissions process takes a while because they DO read all of the files very carefully, and only a few people (like 4ish) are interviewed every day.

that was my thinking when I called last week and got the same response. :)

last time i called i got the flagged response, now i got "my file is scheduled to be reviewed again after the first of the year." is there any difference here? gahh

The last time I called I got the flagged for response.. This time she told me that they will review my file again before the end of the year and if I don't hear from them in January then call. So it sounds like in January we should either get an interview invite or rejection.

Just called and was told I'm under re-review before the end of Dec...I think things are gonna be looking up for all of us at the Big L, since most of us didn't expect to hear anything till after New Year's:thumbup:

P.S. The lady that picked up, RoseMarie, said that they were swamped right now-so don't be alarmed if you can't get through to them via phone...
:luck:

review after the first of the year.. go figure.

They told me my file is "flagged for further review," saying that it's put in a smaller pile to be reviewed. They also asked me to call mid-January if I don't hear from them in between. Looks like I'm in limbo!

today i was told to call back if i hadn't heard anything in three weeks. and nothing about re-reviewing. could this be good news? its pretty vague

not really on topic but I'm applying at loyola next year and I was wondering what their requirement is for LORs- how many science do they want, I couldn't find anything on their site

Alas, I too am on hold until Jan. 1st for Loyola.

My solution to the waiting game: I think the schools should not be able to cash my check/money order/bill my credit card until they have at least reviewed my app and given some kind of a decision be it an interview or rejection.

blondie, I got that response in november so I think it means you are on the agenda to be reviewed...I later found out that I am waiting till january, though I dont know if its good or if they are just taking one more look before they reject me, I hope not...Loyola is my dream school:love:

DaBears, it looks like we're in the same boat--Loyola is my dream school too and I'm also waiting until January. I hope you get an interview invite next month.

I talked with a first year Loyola student; he interviewed last year around mid-February, and he said that the interviewers told him there were still some direct seats available, though not many. So hopefully for those of us waiting until January, January will be the month we get that call :) But Loyola also takes quite a few people from their waitlist, and I've known people to get that acceptance call two weeks before classes start. So there's always hope!

not really on topic but I'm applying at loyola next year and I was wondering what their requirement is for LORs- how many science do they want, I couldn't find anything on their site

You either need to send a composite letter from your premedical advisory committee or a letter from your premedical or academic advisor, plus three letters from your professors (two of which should be from professors in science disciplines).

If you're transferred during your undergraduate education then you need to submit at least one letter from a faculty member at each school you attended.

In addition, you're allowed to submit a maximum of three letters in addition to those required.

You either need to send a composite letter from your premedical advisory committee or a letter from your premedical or academic advisor, plus three letters from your professors (two of which should be from professors in science disciplines).

If you're transferred during your undergraduate education then you need to submit at least one letter from a faculty member at each school you attended.

In addition, you're allowed to submit a maximum of three letters in addition to those required.

Thank you for your response, do many schools usually require that committee/advisor letter because I wasn't planning on getting that, but I guess I will now

Thank you for your response, do many schools usually require that committee/advisor letter because I wasn't planning on getting that, but I guess I will now

Most schools I've talked to say that if there is a committee that you have to use that. At my school professors are not allowed to write LOR for medical school, only the committee can. I think they are a pretty good thing to go through if you nail it because it's more objective.

Good luck to you!

I was very interested in checking out Stritch, but I'm about to have two acceptances on my doorstep to schools I've ranked higher on my priority list.

I appreciate that they are very meticulous and thorough, but I'm not going to hold off on searching for an apartment in DC/Philadelphia so I can keep Stritch in the pile. The other schools were also very thorough and they got back to me in a few months.

DaBears, it looks like we're in the same boat--Loyola is my dream school too and I'm also waiting until January. I hope you get an interview invite next month.

I talked with a first year Loyola student; he interviewed last year around mid-February, and he said that the interviewers told him there were still some direct seats available, though not many. So hopefully for those of us waiting until January, January will be the month we get that call :) But Loyola also takes quite a few people from their waitlist, and I've known people to get that acceptance call two weeks before classes start. So there's always hope!

That would be great! Good luck to you as well! :luck: Everytime an unknown number comes up on the phone I get excited even though I know they won't call for a while.

That would be great! Good luck to you as well! :luck: Everytime an unknown number comes up on the phone I get excited even though I know they won't call for a while.

Same here! In fact, my boss called me once, and her area code is (707)--my heart almost stopped, because it was before 3:00 in the afternoon (5:00 Chicago time). Then I realized Stritch was (708). My heart fell back down about five stories when I heard my boss's voice.

DaBears is right--most schools ask for the committee letter if your school has committee letters. I'm not sure how many of those schools would allow you to forgo the committee letter and ask for individual LORs.

The admissions department seems to be anti-technology. Their website also kind of sucks. Is the rest of their administration like this too?