Official Northwestern Notification Thread 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, apparently some letters were sent yesterday. Given this new information, I have now resigned myself to failure - in stark contrast to what I said in my last post. It seems quite plausible now that there has been a mailing of rejections/waitlists after an initial mailing of accepts. While I grant that none of this is conclusive, it is beneficial for us all to forswear this thread until our letters are in hand. Take a mental health vacation!

Members don't see this ad.

derzornhistolog said:
it is beneficial for us all to forswear this thread until our letters are in hand. Take a mental health vacation!

Stop reading this thread and quit obsessing? Stop speaking this blasphemy! :eek:

To everyone else: please call the admission office (prehaps several times) and start more rumors! :idea:

C'mon guys, let's get some drama going. . . what else am I going to do on a Friday afternoon? Work? :laugh:

rockstar2525 said:
Stop reading this thread and quit obsessing? Stop speaking this blasphemy! :eek:

To everyone else: please call the admission office (prehaps several times) and start more rumors! :idea:

C'mon guys, let's get some drama going. . . what else am I going to do on a Friday afternoon? Work? :laugh:
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm sitting in my office getting NOTHING done. I at least want to see some more postings in this forum when I refresh SDN every 5 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
rockstar2525 said:
:love: Double M :love:

Since obsessive speculation is one of my FAVORITE activites while sitting at work and not working, I'm gonna say that I think us not getting letters yesterday is a bad sign. If they mailed acceptance letters in one batch and people (even those that live far away) got them yesterday. . . then did they mail waitlists the next day/later? I give it one or two more days (grace period) then I'm chalking it up as a waitlist. :thumbdown:

You know I refuse to fall victim to that type of thinking. Maybe none of it is significant, and we are suffering at the hands of a cruel and capricious postal service. Or maybe it was alphabetical. Or maybe it is just random. I refuse to definitively pick heads or tails. The ink is dry, but it means nothing until you see it with your eyes! That being said, today's poison of choice? Hershey's kisses...

derzornhistolog said:
Ok, apparently some letters were sent yesterday. Given this new information, I have now resigned myself to failure - in stark contrast to what I said in my last post. It seems quite plausible now that there has been a mailing of rejections/waitlists after an initial mailing of accepts. While I grant that none of this is conclusive, it is beneficial for us all to forswear this thread until our letters are in hand. Take a mental health vacation!

why are you tripping? didn't you get "forthcoming" on monday? isn't that the only thing we're really going mad over?

Mmmmm chocolate.... *drool* haha

that chocolate comment was in reference to mmarine's comments...

and nothing in the mail yet!! (forthcoming on wed)

rosa said:
that chocolate comment was in reference to mmarine's comments...

and nothing in the mail yet!! (forthcoming on wed)

Um, yeah. I have a little dessert problem that has been kicked into overdrive by the nervousness.

i really truly still think that those of us who got the "forthcoming" posted after tuesday are rejected.
sorry, i tend to be a realist (aka pessimist)

melimi said:
i really truly still think that those of us who got the "forthcoming" posted after tuesday are rejected.
sorry, i tend to be a realist (aka pessimist)

sadly i have to agree with you cuz it happened to me with BU. blah. but you can't help but hope :luck:

I don't think we're all rejected, but a waitlist is highly probable.
Looks like, of the six people whose status change was Monday/early Tues (maybe didn't check Mon. evening?), four have received acceptance letters.
But something like 19 of us had the Wednesday status change. If we're all waitlists and rejects, then SDN must not be very representative of NU's interview population. Normally they accept 50%, WL most everyone else, and reject a few (10%), or so I heard on my interview day. C'est la vie.

BUT, also... only four people have posted on here that they've heard anything. I think it's too early to tell...

i got my acceptance letter a few hours ago. me=pleased.

my status changed for sure by tuesday morning, but it couldve changed a few days earlier, i dunno.

Members don't see this ad :)
so has nobody been waitlisted yet? i guess if you got waitlisted, getting to SDN asap to post the depressing news probably wouldn't be the first thing you would do, huh?

hope is such an interesting phenomenon - when somebody got accepted and had their status changed on tuesday, that gave me hope. until i realized now that mine changed wednesday morning. everybody who's been accepted so far has had tuesday morning changes, right? sigh... and so that glimmer of hope i held on to fades away and i anxiously await what i fear the most.

to me, waitlist basically means rejection; i mean if 40% gets waitlisted and 40% gets in - it seems to me that a waitlist is just a polite way of saying, "no, you aren't good enough for us.. but maybe if you beg enough, and somehow enough people dont matriculate so that we can max our class size... maybe we'll let you in (but it's highly unlikely), but you'll have to wait until june to know". and if that's me, i guess i will have to beg and wait it out until june - and continue hoping. else it looks like med school is not in my cards....

it has been nice to share the misery w/ you all on SDN though. good luck at the mailboxes today!

evendry707 said:
so has nobody been waitlisted yet? i guess if you got waitlisted, getting to SDN asap to post the depressing news probably wouldn't be the first thing you would do, huh?

well, I guess I get the honor of being the first then. Received word today that I am on the "alternate list" :( . Status changed around noon on Wednesday, read into that however you wish.

MisterMo said:
well, I guess I get the honor of being the first then. Received word today that I am on the "alternate list" :( . Status changed around noon on Wednesday, read into that however you wish.

im sorry to hear this! im feeling confident i will join you in this category very soon. did you get your pitt interview worked out?

opinionkitten said:
did you get your pitt interview worked out?

unfortunately, no. I wanted to switch to an earlier interview date, but when I last called I was told they have a strict policy against rescheduling. Hence, I don't get to interview there until March 8th, which likely means yet another waitlist for me at best....crud

Sorry 'bout the waitlist, MisterMo. Was your letter dated Feb. 24th? I'm assuming you live in or near Chicago.

Most perspicacious of you, Starfruit. The date the letter was issued is far more instructive than when it was received. Please advise, oh hallowed matriculants!

Clearly, my SDN addiction is out of control now...

So sorry to hear about the waitlist Mistermo. :( Good luck with Pitt though!

I still haven't received my letter, so I'll probably be joining you on the waitlist if not the reject one. :scared:

RunMimi said:
Yeah, I'm expecting my waitlist letter to come in today. We'll see...

it's so sad that we're all just waiting for the waitlist letter because of what we read on this post. i admit, im expecting a waitlist letter too as a result of this discussion -and it really blows. every passing second, i feel like fate is just putting of the inevitable, and i just want it to be over, you know?

it's kinda like getting over a relationship. when you break up w/ someone, you don't wanna stay friends with them right after, you don't wanna see them, hear from them, know anything about them - doing so just puts off the grieving process. any guy who wants that sort of thing is just delaying the inevitable, deep down inside, hoping that something might change.

northwestern broke up with me on wednesday over the internet. it sucks. but i still have to wait until northwestern tells me in via a letter in the mail to believe it. i just want it to be over....

People can we just stick to reporting the facts:

1. Accepted or rejected or waitlisted
2. Date status changed on internet
3. Date letter was issued

This is all we need to know and not some pathetic montage of your dating life or how depressed you are while you wait. I think I speak for everyone (maybe except myself) when I say everyone is anxious for a letter. We've covered the theme of anxiety ad nauseam. Now, let's just report the facts. Any additional comments you might have should only be posted after reporting the three facts.

Thanks.

1. Accepted or rejected or waitlisted - ACCEPTED
2. Date status changed on internet - UNKNOWN
3. Date letter was issued - FEB 20th

best of luck, everyone.

SD Skunk said:
2. Date status changed on internet - UNKNOWN
3. Date letter was issued - FEB 20th

best of luck, everyone.

Feb 20 was a Sunday.... weird...

boardchic said:
Feb 20 was a Sunday.... weird...

i know right? i was wondering too. but unless it was an ink smudge, it's feb. 20th

sheeeit!

SD Skunk said:
i know right? i was wondering too. but unless it was an ink smudge, it's feb. 20th

sheeeit!

i meant to add to that.....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I just got my letter!

2. Date status changed on internet - By the time I checked it on Tuesday
3. Date letter was issued - FEB 22th

1. Accepted or rejected or waitlisted - WAITLISTED/alternate list
2. Date status changed on internet - WED
3. Date letter was issued - FEB 23rd

anybody know anything abt the movement on NU waitlist, my guess is its not so great. do you think it is more likely to get off a waitlist there or at NYU

Just need one person that had their letter sent/were updated on the 23rd that have been accepted to break this acursed pattern than is forming! So far, all accepts (6) = 22nd or earlier, the waitlists (2) = 23rd. Well, no rejections, that is always a good thing, heh.

Anyway, I was updated on the 23rd, 1:30 PST. Live in CA, still have no letter as of today the 26th. Monday most likely holds my fate.

GuyLaroche said:

This is all we need to know and not some pathetic montage of your dating life or how depressed you are while you wait. I think I speak for everyone (maybe except myself) when I say everyone is anxious for a letter. We've covered the theme of anxiety ad nauseam. Now, let's just report the facts. Any additional comments you might have should only be posted after reporting the three facts.

Thanks.

Hot dog! You guys sure follow orders! GuyLaroche comes in here - to MY thread, imparts his rigid rules for posting, cracks out some latin and you're all stepping into line?

Frankly, I am an anxious wreck of a human being. This, I expect many other applicants (who are not veritable shoe-ins) to be. Let those who are anxious express their anxiety. Let those who wish to collect data collect their data. But above all else, people, let's keep my thread at the top of SDN...

[This evidence of my catastrophic decay into psychotic self-aggrandizement brought to you by: Derzornhistology.]

Homo Sapiens non urinat in Ventum

GuyLaroche said:

Thanks.

:laugh:

For some reason I found this post to be really amusing which (not surprisingly) helped me to think about something other than this blasted admissions process. SO...I think that every now and then someone should take it on themselves to post something that will make people laugh. What do you guys think?

Eyesayah55 said:
:laugh:

For some reason I found this post to be really amusing which (not surprisingly) helped me to think about something other than this blasted admissions process. SO...I think that every now and then someone should take it on themselves to post something that will make people laugh. What do you guys think?

This is all I am trying to do. I am glad you and two or three others get it. :thumbup:

Curse you, GuyLaroche! Your biting wit is impenetrable by my wrath!

DerZornGottes

Accepted. :)

I think my status changed on monday, letter dated 22 Feb. Postmark 1 May 05 (not kidding, must have been SNAFU at post office).

Letter was sent to my old address, hence the length of time to get here.

1. Accepted. Yay!

2. My status changed before Monday (I'm not sure when it was exactly - sorry this is no help).

3. My letter was also postmarked May 1, 2005 - weird.

The letter got here yesterday, probably because my mail is so notoriously slow.

Waitlist, Wednesday status change, Feb. 23rd letter

RunMimi said:
So I find this almost funny, but here's some info for you in seriousness. I was rejected from NU today with a Wednesday status. I got into my first choice school today, though, so that's probably why I can't stop laughing about it! :D

(i dont know why i check this thread considering i didn't apply to NU)
congrats on duke mimi!!!! how did you find out????? you should post on the duke thread....inquiring minds want to know. :thumbup:

Decision: rejection
Status Page change: Wed Feb 23
Attitude: probably going to cry, then wait to hear from my #1

Another rejection here. Also changed on Wed the 23rd. Anyone else think the letter was kinda harsh? Oh well, I also got into Tufts, so I guess the day isn't all bad.

BraneDoc said:
Another rejection here. Also changed on Wed the 23rd. Anyone else think the letter was kinda harsh? Oh well, I also got into Tufts, so I guess the day isn't all bad.

I take it Wed. status change = rejection. For whatever reason, mine hasn't made it here yet. But if I were going to live in Chicago, I think U of C is a better fit for me anyhow. Good luck to everyone else who wants to go to NU though!

k-monger said:
Decision: rejection
Status Page change: Wed Feb 23
Attitude: probably going to cry, then wait to hear from my #1

that sucks but at least you have the best signature ive seen in months. this is something to be proud of...
:thumbup:

i too have been shot down by northwestern. man, post interview rejections sting a little. a nice school, what can you do. good luck to all the wednesday updates that havent heard yet.

hey, sorry to those who got bad news. i got waitlisted on saturday (had a wednesday status change)...which is kind of a bummer too, as northwestern is my 1st choice. i was wondering if anyone else knows what their waitlist movement is like? has anyone called to try to find out where on the waitlist they stand? i know some schools i applied to are very straightforward about your chances off the list, and others are totally elusive. i wonder how northwestern is?

I think NU tends to be more on the elusive side, since it has an unranked waitlist. In the past there have been anywhere from 2-3 to 30 people coming off the waitlist (or so I read in an old thread). Given the popularity of the school these days, though, there probably won't be much movement. But who knows.

Absps1983 - are you planning on writing anything in the "Reasons:" portion of the waitlist declaration page? Seems sort of weird.

Sorry about the rejections folks, but at least you're not left in limbo.

this thread is so damn engaging. im not even taking the MCATS until next april, but hell, this thread motivates me to (in a sick and twisted way) to study hard for the MCATS.

Good luck guys.

hmm... unranked... that's weird. i mean, when it's time to take someone off, do they look at every file over again? anyway, i guess that's useful to know. thanks.

i went all out on the "reasons" thing and attached a full page of reasons i love the school. i think i'm going to just go all out with letters and such, since i don't really have anything to lose. that being said, i totally think they just intended the "reasons" so that they would know where people that turn down the spot are planning on going.

Status Change: Feb 23, Wed
Outcome: REJECTION
Feeling: blue. :(

At least I can stop neurotically checking this thread now, hah. GL to all those who were accepted, and even to the waitlists: there is still hope! As for me, I'll just try to feel blessed with my other acceptances and thank God that I have some other choices. Sigh.

waitlisted
status changed wednesday
letter dated Feb 23.

i guess we've succesfully interpreted the status change. go SDN!

sweatybrain said:
I take it Wed. status change = rejection. For whatever reason, mine hasn't made it here yet. But if I were going to live in Chicago, I think U of C is a better fit for me anyhow. Good luck to everyone else who wants to go to NU though!

Actually, my status hasnt changed at all and I got rejected. Soo who knows what and if there is a pattern here. Man, so bummed. Oh well, it wasnt my #1, but still...would have liked to get it. Kinda feel like if I didnt get into NU, then how can i get into other schools ranked higher, with better reps, higher avg numbers and stuff. Well............

Also, was a little upset that I didnt even get on the Waitlist. Did anyone get waitlisted...??