Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

Started by mmmcdowe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

36785878.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today I got:

The Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal Reasoning Workbook (2011 Version)

for $15....

at

Half Price Books


I feel lucky.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
👍👍👍👍👍
Though I've gotta admit, OR and WA seem nice. I'll take New England any day, though, Cali is the most overrated, terrible place to live I've ever encountered.

Hmm.. I've only visited San Diego (Spanish for a whale's vagina) and Washington state but I loved them both.
 
I come back after a few days and all I see are

36788369.jpg
:laugh:
🤣
Hmm.. I've only visited San Diego (Spanish for a whale's vagina) and Washington state but I loved them both.
😆
Bwahahahaha! I seriously lol'd at that! For a second I was like, "There's no way Diego can mean vagina or whale":nono: and then I realized you had made a funny. 😆
:roflcopter:
I thought it appropriate to make a stupid Will Farrell joke.
👍 I just gradually laughed more and more as I caught up. Strong work everyone!
 
👍👍👍👍👍
Though I've gotta admit, OR and WA seem nice. I'll take New England any day, though, Cali is the most overrated, terrible place to live I've ever encountered.

Well we don't like you either so there ::sticks tongue out:: 😛

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:idea:

what if you could somehow get back all the money you spent on applying to schools that rejected you to help you pay for things to get ready for med school in the fall...

..aaahh that would be so sweet.
 
Anyone know what's a good first car to get for college?

Trying to get it off craigslist and my budget is low, 1500.


thanks 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Top.

Anyone know what's a good first car to get for college?

Trying to get it off craigslist and my budget is low, 1500.


thanks 🙂

Can you save up another 1500 or so? You're likely to run in to a lot of problems with a budget that low, even if you buy something notoriously reliable. Your options will go up quite a bit if you can spend closer to 3k.
 
Anyone know what's a good first car to get for college?

Trying to get it off craigslist and my budget is low, 1500.


thanks 🙂

I would go Honda anything. They last forever, maintenance is pretty cheap, and they get good gas mileage.

Agree with the above, but I would also put in old Toyotas (#1 choice for me), Subarus (good, but often overpriced, even used, plus if they're 4WD know the suspension work will be pricier), and Volvos. It's OK if they have a lot of miles...a Camry should get at least 200k.

Things to look for in your (required) test-drive:

#1 concern is the transmission. This is what will have taken a beating over the years. Look for signs that it was abused (looks like a hot-shot teen drove it like it was the sports car in his head). On your test drive, look for signs of slipping, SLAMMING into gear, etc. Gutless is fine, jerky is worrisome.

Suspension problems can also crop up here...clicking when you turn, looseness in the steering, overly squishy on bumps, etc...if anything catches your eye, don't necessarily write off the car, just know that it will probably cost you ~$800 very shortly after purchase.

Strangely colored smoke in the exhaust is almost always a bad sign.

Check underneath the car for signs of abuse - dents in the tranny/oil pan may not cause issues themselves, but they're a red flag that this car was run aground pretty hard at least once, which could mean minor accident, too-vigorous off-road driving for a normal car, or a number of other things that make you pay close attention to the suspension.

If you find an electrical issue, it's probably the cheapest fix you've ever encountered...but you will spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars trying to figure out WHICH $0.50 piece to replace. And the mechanic will give up and tell you to replace the computer, because many of them just rely on the stupid diagnostic computer these days. Run away from electrical problems.

Look under the hood, if only to see how much oil has been spilled at the top of the engine. Old cars burn oil, that's fine...but if it requires a quart every time you fill the tank, a) that gets pricey and b) it'll be spilled all over the place.
 
I would go Honda anything. They last forever, maintenance is pretty cheap, and they get good gas mileage.

Between Toyota Corrola and Honda Civic, both of which I've owned, the Corrola is the way to go: cheaper, better gas mileage, better reliability, better service, better experience overall. I'll be selling my 2009 civic for an older, cheaper model Toyota.