This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found a coupon for free trial year... "mla2016"...
Thank you! Hope it still works, I'm going to try it out tonight!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody. Planning to apply at the beginning of this upcoming cycle. Will be applying before I get my MCAT results back and will also not have taken the pre-req PHYSICS 2. So letting me know any consequences for doing that would be helpful.

Which schools are realistic considering my stats?
2. cGPA is 3.17/sGPA is 3.13
3. Won't have a score in by the time I apply. What MCAT score do I need? 490-495 range or higher?
4. Have plenty of podiatry shadowing done.
5. Have some non podiatry shadowing, not sure how important this is.
6. Have plenty of volunteering and extracurriculars including athletics.

What are my chances with these stats? I've seen the yearly entrant reports which suggest I should be able to get in but obviously I don't really know? Also is not having the MCAT ready/not taking Physics 2 until next semester going to be a problem in terms of getting an interview? I do plan on have all the pre-reqs done and completing my degree.
No chance because adcoms will find out your SDN username and see that you dont respect greatness!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody. Planning to apply at the beginning of this upcoming cycle. Will be applying before I get my MCAT results back and will also not have taken the pre-req PHYSICS 2. So letting me know any consequences for doing that would be helpful.

3. Won't have a score in by the time I apply. What MCAT score do I need? 490-495 range or higher?

What are my chances with these stats? I've seen the yearly entrant reports which suggest I should be able to get in but obviously I don't really know? Also is not having the MCAT ready/not taking Physics 2 until next semester going to be a problem in terms of getting an interview? I do plan on have all the pre-reqs done and completing my degree.
You should be good. Just concentrate on doing well on the MCAT. Lebron is the GOAT though.

Reactions: 2 users

1. Pick the ones you're interested in. Don't worry about stats.
2. That's fine. Higher than mine and I got accepted.
3. High as you can. Aim for 500. Never know what school will give you money for high scores.
4. Get rec letters in. Use Interfolio or snail mail to each school after app is turned in.
5. Low priority. Mention in app under "experiences".
6. Low priority. Will help you during interviews. Holds low weight during screening for invite.

Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad gpa: 2.8 cgpa/2.6 sgpa
postbacc: 4.0 gpa
ogpa: 3.04 (sgpa about the same)
MCAT: 514
(yeah, I went to a difficult undergrad)
Currently calling podiatrists around the area to shadow
200 hrs of patient contact experience
1000+ hours of miscellaneous volunteering
Shadowed 1 MD and 1 DO (combined 70 hours)

I am also applying to DO schools.

I want to get into Western if possible (its 10 minutes from my house, and eventually want to practice in CA). On their page it says only a LOR from a podiatrist is required and professors are recomended. Does that mean I would be fine if I didnt submit professor letters to them?

Last edited:
Undergrad gpa: 2.8 cgpa/2.6 sgpa
postbacc: 4.0 gpa
ogpa: 3.04 (sgpa about the same)
MCAT: 514
(yeah, I went to a difficult undergrad)
Currently calling podiatrists around the area to shadow
200 hrs of patient contact experience
1000+ hours of miscellaneous volunteering
Shadowed 1 MD and 1 DO (combined 70 hours)

I am also applying to DO schools.

I want to get into Western if possible (its 10 minutes from my house, and eventually want to practice in CA). On their page it says only a LOR from a podiatrist is required and professors are recomended. Does that mean I would be fine if I didnt submit professor letters to them?

Call adcom to confirm. With your MCAT I think you will be fine for Western. Are you applying for this upcoming Fall or next cycle? If it's next cycle, you definitely will get an II and acceptance.

I have been really strong about my decision to go into podiatry school since the end of my sophomore year of college and am applying Fall 2017 to start Fall 2018. I am taking my MCAT next week and have been studying very hard but my scores are not displaying that (I am averaging about a 493 on my practice exams. My cGPA is a 3.61 and my sGPA is about a 3.2. I have had three research internships funded by national organizations including the US Army, The Simons Foundation, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute and have conducted research since my freshman year of college. I have shadowed and MD/PhD neurologist for 40 hours and am in the works of shadowing a pod for the rest of the summer (hopefully getting about 25+ hours of shadowing) I used to go to a podiatrist when I was younger and as a dancer for almost 19 years (I am on the official competitive Dance Team at a DIA school where I practice over 30 hours a week) the ankle has always been of interest to me. I am scared that my MCAT will not be competitive enough for POD school though. Any suggestions/advice?

I have been really strong about my decision to go into podiatry school since the end of my sophomore year of college and am applying Fall 2017 to start Fall 2018. I am taking my MCAT next week and have been studying very hard but my scores are not displaying that (I am averaging about a 493 on my practice exams. My cGPA is a 3.61 and my sGPA is about a 3.2. I have had three research internships funded by national organizations including the US Army, The Simons Foundation, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute and have conducted research since my freshman year of college. I have shadowed and MD/PhD neurologist for 40 hours and am in the works of shadowing a pod for the rest of the summer (hopefully getting about 25+ hours of shadowing) I used to go to a podiatrist when I was younger and as a dancer for almost 19 years (I am on the official competitive Dance Team at a DIA school where I practice over 30 hours a week) the ankle has always been of interest to me. I am scared that my MCAT will not be competitive enough for POD school though. Any suggestions/advice?
Should be fine even if you score a 493, your GPA and ECs are great! Good luck on the MCAT and application cycle.

No point worrying.

If you have time to come on here and look for validation, you have time to run through practice problems and sections.

Not trying to be mean. Just saying- you need to focus on what you can control.

Your GPAs and ECs are competitive. Focus on your MCAT.

Hello, I know you probably seen way too many times but I just want to be sure that I might a chance for most of the schools.

cGPA: 3.568
sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 495

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I know you probably seen way too many times but I just want to be sure that I might a chance for most of the schools.

cGPA: 3.568
sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: 495
You're 100% fine to be accepted!

You will be accepted somewhere for sure.

Good for all but Maybe AZPOD and DMU. Even then u will prolly still get into them

If you apply early, a 490-500 should net you an II like podstar mentioned.

Like what Weirdy said, just focus on the test. You have a strong research background so the B/B section should not be giving you problems if you finished your content review. Focus and take the test seriously. Use mcat reddit and Khan Academy.

Good luck!

You have similar stats to me, I got accepted to NYC, Temple and Kent with scholarships. My mcat was 497(low psych/soc), they asked why I did bad, I told them I winged it.

Didn't see a thread regarding EC's so I thought I would ask here. I am wondering what EC's I should focus on getting this summer before applications get turned in for Fall 2018. In college I volunteered at a for about 60 hours, helped with Special Olympics at a local school, worked at an assisted living home, have shadowed multiple MD's and PA's. The university I went to did not have any real research opportunities. I have recently developed a relationship with a local DPM and have shadowed him for 4 hours with opportunity to go weekly. I am wondering if anyone has specific suggestions on how I could better round out that portion of my application.

Thanks!

Didn't see a thread regarding EC's so I thought I would ask here. I am wondering what EC's I should focus on getting this summer before applications get turned in for Fall 2018. In college I volunteered at a for about 60 hours, helped with Special Olympics at a local school, worked at an assisted living home, have shadowed multiple MD's and PA's. The university I went to did not have any real research opportunities. I have recently developed a relationship with a local DPM and have shadowed him for 4 hours with opportunity to go weekly. I am wondering if anyone has specific suggestions on how I could better round out that portion of my application.

Thanks!
I've learned that most schools don't care about ECs. If you have a lot, great, they'll probably ask about them in an interview, if not, I don't think it's going to get you rejected. The schools care about your MCAT and GPAs above all else by a long way. I would just continue to shadow and learn more about the profession :) no use trying to pad a resume with things you're not interested in! Don't worry :)

I've learned that most schools don't care about ECs. If you have a lot, great, they'll probably ask about them in an interview, if not, I don't think it's going to get you rejected. The schools care about your MCAT and GPAs above all else by a long way. I would just continue to shadow and learn more about the profession :) no use trying to pad a resume with things you're not interested in! Don't worry :)
Thanks for the advice!

For people who were in some of the first round of interviews at schools how soon did you hear back after interview? I have talked to some that said they start their interview process late September/early October. Wondering if it may be possible to hear something by the end of the year? I am set to take MCAT September 9, which is the only thing outstanding on my application.

Thanks!

For people who were in some of the first round of interviews at schools how soon did you hear back after interview? I have talked to some that said they start their interview process late September/early October. Wondering if it may be possible to hear something by the end of the year? I am set to take MCAT September 9, which is the only thing outstanding on my application.

Thanks!
You will not be given an interview until they receive your MCAT, so you will interview late October or early November, for most schools. Temple and Kent gave me an interview 7 hours after applying online...

They contact you 1-2 weeks after your interview. Then they will mail you an acceptance package, followed by an email in regard to scholarships a week after your package.

You will not be given an interview until they receive your MCAT, so you will interview late October or early November, for most schools. Temple and Kent gave me an interview 7 hours after applying online...

They contact you 1-2 weeks after your interview. Then they will mail you an acceptance package, followed by an email in regard to scholarships a week after your package.
Thanks for the info!

Hi all!

My top picks are DMU and AZPod
2. cGPA: 3.69 sGPA: 3.52
3. I don't have my MCAT score back yet, but I was scoring 498 consistently on practice exams.
4. I have shadowed podiatrists for over 40 hrs and have learned extensively about what the job entails.
5. 130+ hrs of service including director of foot clinic and health screenings at local homeless shelters.

How competitive does this sound? Might I hope for scholarships?

I'm in that awkward in-between stage waiting for my MCAT score and am starting to get nervous about everything.

Thanks for your comments!

Hi all!

My top picks are DMU and AZPod
2. cGPA: 3.69 sGPA: 3.52
3. I don't have my MCAT score back yet, but I was scoring 498 consistently on practice exams.
4. I have shadowed podiatrists for over 40 hrs and have learned extensively about what the job entails.
5. 130+ hrs of service including director of foot clinic and health screenings at local homeless shelters.

How competitive does this sound? Might I hope for scholarships?

I'm in that awkward in-between stage waiting for my MCAT score and am starting to get nervous about everything.

Thanks for your comments!
If you score around 498 you will have a good shot at both schools! AZPod does not give scholarships, but DMU does. Make sure you apply early.

If you score around 498 you will have a good shot at both schools! AZPod does not give scholarships, but DMU does. Make sure you apply early.

Thanks, I'm planning on submitting the first week the cycle opens in August. Do you know the average MCAT for DMU and AZPOD? I've seen some varying numbers, but I assumed around 497. Most schools are still showing the pre-2015 scale.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm planning on submitting the first week the cycle opens in August. Do you know the average MCAT for DMU and AZPOD? I've seen some varying numbers, but I assumed around 497. Most schools are still showing the pre-2015 scale.
AZPod is 25/499 and DMU is 23/497.

I had a 25 MCAT and 3.5 gpa and got accepted two days after interviewing. They use those two scores to pre qualify you and it seems like they base your acceptance off personality and other wanted characteristics. I chose AZpod over DMU based on feeling more comfortable with my interview and wanting to get out of Wisconsin winters for a couple of years lol Got accepted to all schools i interviewed and applied to.

i posted previously but wanted to update you guys once my actual verification grades came out. I estimated my gpa to be a little higher I guess but would I have a shot at all this late in the game with that gpa?

Late to the cycle but do I have a shot for getting into NYCPM or Temple?

cgpa: 2.9
sgpa: 2.8
post bacc: 3.4
master's: 3.5
Mcat: 495 (multiple attempts and this is my highest)

i posted previously but wanted to update you guys once my actual verification grades came out. I estimated my gpa to be a little higher I guess but would I have a shot at all this late in the game with that gpa?

Your post-bac and masters trend should get you through.

Be ready to explain your academic performance for NYCPM.

MCAT is fine as long as your highest was your most recent retake. Downward trend on mcat they might use that against you.

Best of luck.

Just got accepted to Kent! Very happy. Was very impressed with their campus and culture. Ohio seems like a very comfortable and affordable place to live in as well. Now just to find apartments on time....

Reactions: 8 users
Just got accepted to Kent! Very happy. Was very impressed with their campus and culture. Ohio seems like a very comfortable and affordable place to live in as well. Now just to find apartments on time....
Congrats! Feel free to message me if you need help!

Top Picks: Temple, DMU, and Western

School & MCAT:
-Major: Biology (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Option)
-Minor: Chemistry
-cGPA: 3.57
-sGPA: 3.50
-MCAT: 490

Shadowing:
-The majority of my shadowing stems from primary care and orthopedics, however, I have around 15+ hrs of podiatry shadowing.

ECs:
-Medical Assistant (private orthopedic practice) (1yr)
-Phlebotomist (1yr)
-Medical Support Assistant (2.5yrs)
-Animal Development Research Assistant (2yrs)
-President of on campus Honors Society

Volunteering:
-American Chemical Society Outreach (50
-Post-op Orthopedic care (getting water, changing beds, etc.) (90hrs)

Awards:
Numerous Dean's List awards
Numerous scholarships
Numerous research grants
First place at local research conference

How am I looking? Planning on applying very soon!!

School & MCAT:

Shadowing:
-The majority of my shadowing stems from primary care and orthopedics, however, I have around 15+ hrs of podiatry shadowing.

ECs:
-Phlebotomist (1yr)

Volunteering:

Awards:
Numerous scholarships
Numerous research grants

You're fine. Send it in.

School & MCAT:

Shadowing:

ECs:
-Phlebotomist (1yr)

Volunteering:

Awards:
Numerous scholarships
Numerous research grants

Nice stats, Ollie.

I think you'll be fine given your GPAs and ECs (congrats on both of those!), although your MCAT does seem a bit low. I don't think it will get you rejected.

I am a rising senior from a BIG10 school applying in the 2017-2018 cycle.
1. Applying to DMU, Scholl, Kent State, and Temple
2. Biochemistry Major cGPA: 3.70, sGPA: 3.62
3. Taking the MCAT soon, have been scoring around 497 on Kaplan practice tests.
4. Podiatry Experience: ~20 hours shadowing local podiatrist practice
5. Very little clinical experience. Will be volunteering in the ED at a large hospital later this summer/fall. Also attending the DMU Preview event in July next month
6. Extra Curricular:
Certificate in a Semi-Honors Science Program (difficult to explain exactly what it is, unless you went to my school)
2 Years of independent Biochemistry research, 2 summer research internships (HHMI and NIH)
Vice President of Professional Co-Ed Chemistry Fraternity (we do community service and tutoring)
Undergraduate Chemistry TA
2 years of Marching Band (I did mention B1G school, right?)

5. Very little clinical experience. Will be volunteering in the ED at a large hospital later this summer/fall. Also attending the DMU Preview event in July next month
6. Extra Curricular:
Certificate in a Semi-Honors Science Program (difficult to explain exactly what it is, unless you went to my school)
2 Years of independent Biochemistry research, 2 summer research internships (HHMI and NIH)
Vice President of Professional Co-Ed Chemistry Fraternity (we do community service and tutoring)
You are a shoe in! Shoot for 500 for more scholarship money and apply early.

6. Extra Curricular:

It sounds like you'll do well! I'll see you in July at the event.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the DMU Preview in July:

I am going to apply, as well, but was wondering what you wrote for the personal statement. I have an almost completed draft of the P.S. I plan to submit to AACMPAS in August. Would it be a bad idea to use this personal statement for the DMU Preview application also?

About the DMU Preview in July:

I am going to apply, as well, but was wondering what you wrote for the personal statement. I have an almost completed draft of the P.S. I plan to submit to AACMPAS in August. Would it be a bad idea to use this personal statement for the DMU Preview application also?

You should be fine using your personal statement that you intend to use for the AACPM app. Just make sure to emphasize what it is about the health profession (podiatry in particular) that makes you want to pursue this career. I also made sure to talk on things that made me want to enter the medical scene that can't be described in a resume, such as life experiences. I would send in the Preview application as soon as possible, because it's rolling-based admissions (I was notified back in early June). Good luck!

Hello everyone!
So I graduated to UC Davis 2 years ago with my mind set on becoming an MD or DO. I scored a 500 on an MCAT which is too low for MD and DO schools especially with my GPA: 3.43 with a science GPA of 3.53. I spoke to an ER physician I used to scribe who told me about Podiatry. Interstingly enough, he mentioned if he could do it all over again he would go into podiatry due to there lifestyle (no night shifts or weekends, is this true???) I am strongly considering it especially after doing a bit of research on it and finding that there's opportunities in going into surgery. So what are my chances getting in to a pod school. I'm looking at applying to CSPM, western, and temple. I have no experience shadowing a podiatrist but I do have around 2000 hours of clinical experience due to my gap years. I really appreciate the feedback!

MCAT:500
CGPA: 3.43
SGPA: 3.53
EXPERIENCE: 2000+ hours of clinical experience in an ER, 2 month internship at an O.R. in UC Davis medical center

Hello everyone!
So I graduated to UC Davis 2 years ago with my mind set on becoming an MD or DO. I scored a 500 on an MCAT which is too low for MD and DO schools especially with my GPA: 3.43 with a science GPA of 3.53. I spoke to an ER physician I used to scribe who told me about Podiatry. Interstingly enough, he mentioned if he could do it all over again he would go into podiatry due to there lifestyle (no night shifts or weekends, is this true???) I am strongly considering it especially after doing a bit of research on it and finding that there's opportunities in going into surgery. So what are my chances getting in to a pod school. I'm looking at applying to CSPM, western, and temple. I have no experience shadowing a podiatrist but I do have around 2000 hours of clinical experience due to my gap years. I really appreciate the feedback!

MCAT:500
CGPA: 3.43
SGPA: 3.53
EXPERIENCE: 2000+ hours of clinical experience in an ER, 2 month internship at an O.R. in UC Davis medical center
500 is pretty low for DO but I can see you getting an interview at some newer DO schools which have average matriculating MCAT scores around 502-504. Your GPA and MCAT is fine for newer DO schools and great for Pod school. You need to shadow a podiatrist (basically a requirement) so you can find out if you'll actually enjoy working as one.

Last edited:
You should be fine using your personal statement that you intend to use for the AACPM app. Just make sure to emphasize what it is about the health profession (podiatry in particular) that makes you want to pursue this career. I also made sure to talk on things that made me want to enter the medical scene that can't be described in a resume, such as life experiences. I would send in the Preview application as soon as possible, because it's rolling-based admissions (I was notified back in early June). Good luck!

Thanks. I just submitted it. After calling DMU it sounds like they still have spots available. Hope I get to go!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk