This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my MCAT score back this morning and I did terrible.

MCAT 487
Overall GPA 3.00
Science GPA 2.71
Got all my LOR ready and have plenty of EC.

is it even worth it to apply now??

You need to retake.

Whether they offer you interviews or not, your file does not make a strong case for acceptance.

Low GPA, High MCAT.
High GPA, Low MCAT.
Low GPA, Low MCAT (490+), Extenuating life experience or challenging/significant graduate degree.

Pick one. You should not be thinking about the acceptance.
You should be asking yourself "What do I need to do differently to survive in podiatry school if my current work ethic/grades do not line up with the soft requirements of this career."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the breakdown of this score? It's important to understand if this is the sciences or the critical reading/psychology portions. If its the sciences there may be a basic knowledge deficit that is fairly easy to fix if you set up a plan for a retake. I think below 490 it really is school dependent whether they would give you a shot.

I would say go ahead and send it in but definitely also plan for a retake and indicate on apps that you intend to do so.

Thanks for your input.

125 psych/soc
120 Critical analysis ( I thought this section was very easy... clearly it wasn't)
120 Bio/Biochem
122 Chem/Phys

I took 5 kaplan full lengths and 1 AAMC full length within a month before taking the exam. My lowest score was a 490 with my highest being a 497 and my critical analysis never dipped below a 123 so getting a 120 is pretty confusing for me...

Last edited:
You need to retake.

Whether they offer you interviews or not, your file does not make a strong case for acceptance.

Low GPA, High MCAT.
High GPA, Low MCAT.
Low GPA, Low MCAT (490+), Extenuating life experience or challenging/significant graduate degree.

Pick one. You should not be thinking about the acceptance.
You should be asking yourself "What do I need to do differently to survive in podiatry school if my current work ethic/grades do not line up with the soft requirements of this career."

Honest opinion. Should I apply now and indicate that I'm retaking? or should I retake in January and apply then? (assuming I get a better score)

My plan was to apply as early as possible because obviously my stats are sub par.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore this post... posted on the wrong thread lol

Last edited:
Honest opinion. Should I apply now and indicate that I'm retaking? or should I retake in January and apply then? (assuming I get a better score)

My plan was to apply as early as possible because obviously my stats are sub par.

Looking at that low bio/biochem score, I would say to retake first then apply. You really want to learn those materials well before starting Pod school.
Don't worry too much about the timeline about applying, because there are those of us who applied a month before the deadline and got accepted.
Do all of the AAMC materials, especially the Section Bank questions.
Get your hand on more passages for CARS either from EK 101 or NS 108, in addition to all of the AAMC materials on CARS.

Looking at that low bio/biochem score, I would say to retake first then apply. You really want to learn those materials well before starting Pod school.
Don't worry too much about the timeline about applying, because there are those of us who applied a month before the deadline and got accepted.
Do all of the AAMC materials, especially the Section Bank questions.
Get your hand on more passages for CARS either from EK 101 or NS 108, in addition to all of the AAMC materials on CARS.
Agreed. Its not just to get into the school. You have to also make sure you pass the next 4 years. If I had your stats I would delay a year and take some more science classes and retake the MCAT.

Everyone here has solid advice. There are a couple paths you can go but you need to know yourself and which path will give you the highest chance of success beyond the acceptance.

-Delay and retake MCAT. Gain work experience and save up, live a little afterwards.
-Delay and retake MCAT. Retake upper level biology courses and get all As if not at least solid Bs.

-Apply anyways, take the MCAT January. This is extremely high risk as you will have to absolutely kill the MCAT and schools will all hang on the MCAT. If you fail to score 490+, they may reject you. If they accept you, you will have an uphill battle during your first semester.

Be brutally honest and patient with yourself. Pick the option that gives you the highest chance of finishing the DPM degree.

Thinking about applying this cycle for Pod.

gpa: 3.8
sgpa: 3.6
MCAT: 485
EC: 300+ hours of volunteering/working in healthcare
dpm shadowing: 50 hours

MCAT is low but willing to give it a shot. Would schools consider to give me interview invites?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mcat score came in today.

Got a 511 and 3.5 overall and science GPA.

I'm hoping to see scholarships from some schools. But my top schools are known for NOT giving any or very little.
This should be interesting. haha
Would you guys decline going to a school that was willing to give a large scholarship because you prefer a different one? Or would that be a huge mistake on my part?
Congrats on the MCAT!

While scholarships are important, I think it's better to look at total cost of attendance. CSPM, for example, touts their $10-15k scholarships. Let's say they offer you $15k. Tuition is about $41k minus $15k equals $26k. DMU offers smaller scholarships ($4-6k), but their tuition is lower. $34k minus $6k equals $28k. Not such a big difference. Now add in cost of living (Des Moines vs. Oakland), and DMU is going to be a lot cheaper in the long run.

I feel like some schools try to get you by offering impressive-looking scholarships. In reality, a few thousand dollars won't make much of a difference. I chose DMU because I was impressed with the school and loved the area.

sGPA: 3.528
cGPA: 3.446
Mcat: 492

Shadowed Pediatrician, Orthopedic Surgeon, and starting podiatry shadowing in two weeks
What are my chances for acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 494
What do you think?

Many people prefer podiatry over medicine for the better lifestyle. So, how many hours per week then would you say podiatrists really work? There is no doubt 571 is a small sample size, but it is still really interesting to see that.
Both podiatrists I shadowed work 8-4:30pm. No take-home work. One of them did surgery once a week and one of them went to NH once a week. They are very satisfied with their income and lifestyle.

Thinking about applying this cycle for Pod.

gpa: 3.8
sgpa: 3.6
MCAT: 485
EC: 300+ hours of volunteering/working in healthcare
dpm shadowing: 50 hours

MCAT is low but willing to give it a shot. Would schools consider to give me interview invites?

Thanks!
You will be fine! I am positive that there are schools that will accept you. I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago.

NYCPM and Temple
cGPA: 2.5
sGPA:2.3
Post-bacc: 3.4
MPH:3.8
MCAT:490

500+ hours as a scribe, No pod shadowing yet( applied to temple winter program)
100+ clinical research

Thoughts?

Last edited:
NYCPM and Temple

100+ clinical research

Thoughts?
I've heard Temple and a few others screen at 2.7. But you do have post bacc so I'm not sure. They were the only school that really gave me a hard time about a couple of grades even though I still had a 3.4. I would still apply broadly if I were you

NYCPM and Temple

100+ clinical research

Thoughts?
Post-bac (if intensive) will save you

MPH doesn't mean anything.

MCAT a bit low but you will still get invites pending if admins think you can handle curriculum and pass boards.

Clinical research is cherry on top.

First time poster here!
1)All 9 except Western and AZPOD
I am planning on applying around this time with a 2) cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.4 and 3) MCAT 494
4-6) I have plenty of shadowing from healthcare providers, good ECs, and am waiting on rec letters. However, I only around 40 hours of shadowing a podiatrist. I am curious as to what my chances are at this point it the cycle.
-Also, lots of volunteering 1800 hrs.
-tutoring
-AMSA secretary and board member
-electrochemistry research and presentations/ conferences
Chances??

Last edited:
First time poster here! I am planning on applying around this time with a cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.4 and MCAT 494
I have plenty of shadowing from healthcare providers, good ECs, and am waiting on rec letters. However, I only around 40 hours of shadowing a podiatrist. I am curious as to what my chances are.
Chances are great.

First time poster here!
1)All 9 except Western and AZPOD
I am planning on applying around this time with a 2) cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.4 and 3) MCAT 494
4-6) I have plenty of shadowing from healthcare providers, good ECs, and am waiting on rec letters. However, I only around 40 hours of shadowing a podiatrist. I am curious as to what my chances are at this point it the cycle.
-Also, lots of volunteering 1800 hrs.
-tutoring
-AMSA secretary and board member
-electrochemistry research and presentations/ conferences
Chances??
So long as your interview goes well (which I'm sure it will), you should be able to get into any school you apply to.

First time poster here at SDN.

My stats read as follows: 500 MCAT, 3.1 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. An F from 2010 in Calc I and a D in college algebra back in 2007, but subsequent A's in Calc II, Calc III, Orgo Chem I and II, BioChem, Genetics, and Cellular Biology. Volunteering abroad with both U.S. Marine and U.S. Navy podiatrists. 1 Letter of Recommendation. Do I stand a chance in applying this late to Podiatry School?

Thanks in Advance,
-D.A.

My stats read as follows: 500 MCAT, 3.1 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. An F from 2010 in Calc I and a D in college algebra back in 2007, but subsequent A's in Calc II, Calc III, Orgo Chem I and II, BioChem, Genetics, and Cellular Biology. Volunteering abroad with both U.S. Marine and U.S. Navy podiatrists. 1 Letter of Recommendation. Do I stand a chance in applying this late to Podiatry School?

Thanks in Advance,
-D.A.
Yes basically anywhere

Thanks in Advance,
-D.A.
I think you have a chance at all schools but DMU has 3.28 and 3.42 average GPAs.

It depends on the rest of your app and how you will interview.

Thanks in Advance,
-D.A.
Good to go for all schools.

i'm a junior who has recently considered pod school. i want to apply for the next cycle but how are my chances as of now? 3.2 cgpa, 3 sgpa , 525 MCAT. lost of ECs (leadership positions, working with kids, youth basketball coach,etc), starting some research this semester, scribe job for one semester so far but hoping to switch over to ED tech now that i have my EMT certification, couple shadowing hours following a DO and MD in family medicine/ internal med. hoping to get more shadowing soon in some other specialities and podiatry. any tips to make me a better candidate?

i'm a junior who has recently considered pod school. i want to apply for the next cycle but how are my chances as of now? 3.2 cgpa, 3 sgpa , 525 MCAT. lost of ECs (leadership positions, working with kids, youth basketball coach,etc), starting some research this semester, scribe job for one semester so far but hoping to switch over to ED tech now that i have my EMT certification, couple shadowing hours following a DO and MD in family medicine/ internal med. hoping to get more shadowing soon in some other specialities and podiatry. any tips to make me a better candidate?

Literally do nothing different. Actually, you can do LESS in terms of EC's now and still be WAY far ahead of alot of applicants. Maybe get your sGPA up....but I almost guarantee schools will over look it due to your mcat

btw, are you really a fan of podiatry or using it as a backup? because you honestly don't need a backup whatsoever. even if your GPA's stay exactly where they are. DO schools will eat you up. even some MD.

Do a postbacc and go to MD/DO route unless you have a specific reason/interest for Podiatry.

Theres def going to be some schools that'll offer you a max scholarship (i think half tuiton for some) just based on the fact your MCAT would boost an entire class average by like 1-3 points lol. You could def get in this cycle just start shadowing now and apply soon to get you POD letter if you really want to do pod

Literally do nothing different. Actually, you can do LESS in terms of EC's now and still be WAY far ahead of alot of applicants. Maybe get your sGPA up....but I almost guarantee schools will over look it due to your mcat

btw, are you really a fan of podiatry or using it as a backup? because you honestly don't need a backup whatsoever. even if your GPA's stay exactly where they are. DO schools will eat you up. even some MD.
I'm not using it as a back up- i genuinely am interested in podiatry. I'm also looking into DO schools (not MD because my gpa is very low and i only got so much money lol) because i cant say for positive what field i would want to go into. I only recently found out about podiatry but i think its great because of how flexible it is in terms of work and lifestyle, how you can choose to do more surgeries or not, the fact that you get to do surgery,etc. It honestly seems perfect for what i want (i know i want to do surgery) but i also want to eventually have time for myself and my family and with this you wouldnt necessarily have weird hours and stuff. Right now i'm leaning towards podiatry but i do have some concerns. but i still want to be prepared to apply to pod schools if i end up choosing to go the podiatry route in a couple of months when i have to begin applying to either med schools or pod schools

Last edited:
Do a postbacc and go to MD/DO route unless you have a specific reason/interest for Podiatry.
i'm probably also applying or atleast thinking about DO but i honestly feel podiatry is what i want to go for. Any reason i should consider med school instead?

trust me ,i was surprised when i saw that score

i'm probably also applying or atleast thinking about DO but i honestly feel podiatry is what i want to go for. Any reason i should consider med school instead?
How much do you like feet?

Respect and an uphill battle as a non-MD/DO seem to be prevalent.

Decreasing insurance disbursements but that may be happening everywhere.

And then the same question again- you are only limited to the foot and ankle. Are you really ok with this?

How much do you like feet?

Respect and an uphill battle as a non-MD/DO seem to be prevalent.

Decreasing insurance disbursements but that may be happening everywhere.

And then the same question again- you are only limited to the foot and ankle. Are you really ok with this?
Yeah i'd be totally fine with just feet. I think doing surgery would be awesome and especially working with diabetic wound and care to be really fascinating. and what do you mean by respect and an uphill battle as a non-md to be prevalent?

Yeah i'd be totally fine with just feet. I think doing surgery would be awesome and especially working with diabetic wound and care to be really fascinating. and what do you mean by respect and an uphill battle as a non-md to be prevalent?
Browse through some of the Resident threads.

May be a non-issue to you but I just listed whatever common themes I noticed.

you can apply this cycle. If you don' have POD shadowing hours, you still have plenty of time. You have a shot at DO schools even without post bacc.
Did you apply to any MD/DO schools already?

you can apply this cycle. If you don' have POD shadowing hours, you still have plenty of time. You have a shot at DO schools even without post bacc.
no i'm still a junior so if i want to start med school straight out of undergrad after my senior year i'd start applying the summer of 2018. i know i have a shot at DO but i'm really interested in surgery and i've heard things like its hard for DO students to get into those sort of residencies.

also, don't PodMed school apps open in august?

no i'm still a junior so if i want to start med school straight out of undergrad after my senior year i'd start applying the summer of 2018. i know i have a shot at DO but i'm really interested in surgery and i've heard things like its hard for DO students to get into those sort of residencies.
oh, I see. That makes sense. If you really want to do surgery, you can apply to podiatry and some MD schools next year. all you need is to raise your GPA a bit. your MCAT is a door opener.

Do you have MD state school?

oh, I see. That makes sense. If you really want to do surgery, you can apply to podiatry and some MD schools next year. all you need is to raise your GPA a bit. your MCAT is a door opener.

Do you have MD state school?
yeah i have 2 MD state schools and 1 DO. i dont think my gpa is good enough for MD though but i'll probably sitll apply to my state MD schools if i end up choosing to.

yeah i have 2 MD state schools and 1 DO. i dont think my gpa is good enough for MD though but i'll probably sitll apply to my state MD schools if i end up choosing to.

Your best shot at a DO school is with a GPA of 3.3 in both cumulative and sciences because many DO schools have a cut-off and without meeting them your app will be automatically rejected. Maybe the newer schools might interview you. DO is fine for general surgery. The problem is with surgical subspecialties.

If you will be applying to MD schools, especially those in your state, then the best would be to enroll in a DIY postbacc program or an SMP and shoot for a high GPA. There are also MD schools that offer these special masters program for students with low GPAs and high MCAT, like your case, and have a linkage program to their MD school like that of NYMC, Drexel, the BMS program at RFU, etc. So doing well in these programs guarantees either an interview or a seat for their following class.

Shadow as much you can and see which field you want to go into because you might want to something in surgery today but once you begin medical school and take boards, you may change your mind, like what others do.