This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MCAT is fine, but GPA is still a bit low. Good job on the As though.
Calculate your cumulative and science GPAs and email the programs you are interested in and ask about your chances directly through them.
If they tell you that you have a shot at an interview then apply NOW.

Thanks for the reply! But my grades wont be in until Dec. 15th! Im afraid if I apply right now they will just automatically reject me.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply! But my grades wont be in until Dec. 15th! Im afraid if I apply right now they will just automatically reject me.

I never said to apply now.

I said to contact the school first, ask them about your chances by showing them your current grades, both cumulative and science GPA and MCAT score. If they say that you have a shot then you should apply/submit/start the application process right away.

Reactions: 1 user
I never said to apply now.

I said to contact the school first, ask them about your chances by showing them your current grades, both cumulative and science GPA and MCAT score. If they say that you have a shot then you should apply/submit/start the application process right away.

Gotcha gotcha! Will do! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha gotcha! Will do! :)

You can always start the application process now though, as in sending your transcripts, MCAT score, and all other pertinent info. You can also submit your LORs to interfolio if you already have them.

Also, I did apply to Barry and got in but attending Scholl. If you have a question about Barry then feel free to ask.

Hey guys!
So i had posted before and applied last cycle but didn’t get an interview. And took some upper level science classes this past summer and now in fall (because of my low gpa) I’ll end up with having 7 A’s and 1 B from the classes I took. My gpa should be around 2.75 now? And my MCAT is a 495 (I can retake it in Jan/Feb if necessary)

So if I applied mid-December, what do my chances look like? Im not sure if the apps this cycle are down just like they were last cycle?
What was your GPA last cycle?

Is 2.75 a cGPA?

What about sGPA?

And my MCAT is a 495 (I can retake it in Jan/Feb if necessary)
MCAT score is fine. I would not retake it unless you studied well and consistently score 500+ on practice tests. Otherwise getting 495-497 again will not increase your chances. Even if you get 505, your low GPA is a limiting factor at this point.

There is a handbook for podiatry schools which shows GPA and MCAT ranges for all the schools.

You can always start the application process now though, as in sending your transcripts, MCAT score, and all other pertinent info. You can also submit your LORs to interfolio if you already have them.

Also, I did apply to Barry and got in but attending Scholl. If you have a question about Barry then feel free to ask.

Ok gotcha gotcha! I will start submitting everything now and then just update my transcipts in December. But yes, Barry is my #1 choice because I want to stay in Florida with my family. So that is realt my goal. I would be happy to attend any school really if Barry were to reject me. Im meeting with Dave (I think he’s an adcom) in December to chat. Any advice about Barry? What were your impressions of the school?

MCAT score is fine. I would not retake it unless you studied well and consistently score 500+ on practice tests. Otherwise getting 495-497 again will not increase your chances. Even if you get 505, your low GPA is a limiting factor at this point.

There is a handbook for podiatry schools which shows GPA and MCAT ranges for all the schools.

Of course, I completely understand that. I have a huge back story and really juggled a TON of things throughout undergrad. (Which of course isn’t a justification for the grades but I just did a lot while in school) I’m hoping that my extracurriculars help me a little?

I need to look into hand handbook!

What was your GPA last cycle?

Is 2.75 a cGPA?

What about sGPA?

I thought my cGPA last cycle was a 2.7 but it ended up being a 2.52 once they calculated everything? I think they factor in grade forgiveness? But with my new classes I think it will be around 2.75 for this current cycle.

I thought my cGPA last cycle was a 2.7 but it ended up being a 2.52 once they calculated everything? I think they factor in grade forgiveness? But with my new classes I think it will be around 2.75 for this current cycle.
This is from the Podiatry Handbook for Barry School
upload_2017-11-18_0-25-53.png

This is for Midwestern
upload_2017-11-18_0-27-54.png

This is for Western:
upload_2017-11-18_0-29-4.png

This is for Scholl:
upload_2017-11-18_0-29-48.png

This is for NYCPM:
upload_2017-11-18_0-32-35.png

Members don't see this ad :)
‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️ Idkkk but Im hoping I get into Barry lol
Getting in is one thing.

Finishing is another.

Do not rely on Affirmative Action and ECs to get you in.

It is good that you are fixing your GPA. But you need to remember the bigger picture of being able to handle the curriculum.

I had a 2.9 sGPA and am struggling. It is naïve to barely scrape by without being serious about what you are getting yourself into.

Getting in is one thing.

Finishing is another.

It is good that you are fixing your GPA. But you need to remember the bigger picture of being able to handle the curriculum.

I had a 2.9 sGPA and am struggling. It is naïve to barely scrape by without being serious about what you are getting yourself into.
I understand that. But I also think that working 40-50 hours a week to make rent/living expenses plus juggling extracurriculars is a lot to handle with a full-time curriculum. I don’t doubt myself for a second on succeedig once I’m in. Because not only will the motivation be complately there, I won’t have to worry about working or any of that.

I completely agree with you though. And I don’t underestimate how rigorous the schooling can/will be.

I should also add that I’ve taken almost a 2 year gap since undergrad, so my mentality is also very different. I am not the same person I was back in my undergrad days.

Ok gotcha gotcha! I will start submitting everything now and then just update my transcipts in December. But yes, Barry is my #1 choice because I want to stay in Florida with my family. So that is realt my goal. I would be happy to attend any school really if Barry were to reject me. Im meeting with Dave (I think he’s an adcom) in December to chat. Any advice about Barry? What were your impressions of the school?

Agree with Weirdy 100%. Getting in Pod schools is easy...making it out is another story.

Anyways, about Barry: On your interview day, you will meet 2 faculty members and Dave for a 30 min or so interview. After which Dave will take you and the rest of the interviewees to one of their Hospitals. After that back to their regular campus for lunch and meeting with a student and the dean. Then you head back to the Pod school and go over Financial aid and finally leave by 4 pm or so.

I had a great time when I was there, Dave is an amazing person and the best person for that kind of job. I was impressed with the school overall, I wished there were more students talking to us...there was just one student, which I felt was a bit odd.

I found out later that same evening that was accepted with a generous scholarship but I chose to attend Scholl because of the weather and the area where Barry is at. I'm from NY so I like the cold, can't handle the humidity that FL offers. But in any case, Barry is great if you can handle their curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand that. But I also thinking that working 40-50 hours a week to make rent/living expenses plus juggling extracurriculars is a lot to handle with a full-time curriculum. I don’t doubt myself for a second on succeedig once I’m in. Because not only will the motivation be complately there, I won’t have to worry about working or any of that.

I completely agree with you though. And I don’t underwstimate how rigorous the schooling can/will be.
You said you have a family.

I hope your partner or spouse or immediate family will be available to help you with the house expenses.

It is a full time commitment. You cannot succeed in a graduate medical program without making some sacrifices i.e. working.

You said you have a family.

I hope your partner or spouse or immediate family will be available to help you with the house expenses.

It is a full time commitment. You cannot succeed in a graduate medical program without making some sacrifices i.e. working.

Yes, absolutely. I have a SO who will be attending law school if I get in this cycle so it works. But yes I agree!

Have people dropped out yet at your school?

How comparable is the workload to undergrad?

Getting in is one thing.

Finishing is another.

Have people dropped out yet at your school?

How comparable is the workload to undergrad?
No one has dropped out yet.

Workload is on another planet. Material is easy to understand but the volume and time it takes to commit to memory is what makes it difficult.

Have a sibling in his first year of MD and we swap stories all the time. Workload wise there is no difference.

One way to know how many ends up matching from Barry (or why it is difficult to make it out of a Pod program) is to see the number of the student that started term 1, then how many made it to their white coat ceremony (takes place at the beginning of 3rd year), and finally how many matches.

You will note the number of students to decrease as you go one year to another. However, this weeding out process takes place at all of the Pod schools, some more/less than others.

Last edited:
Agree with Weirdy 100%. Getting in Pod schools is easy...making it out is another story.

Anyways, about Barry: On your interview day, you will meet 2 faculty members and Dave for a 30 min or so interview. After which Dave will take you and the rest of the interviewees to one of their Hospitals. After that back to their regular campus for lunch and meeting with a student and the dean. Then you head back to the Pod school and go over Financial aid and finally leave by 4 pm or so.

I had a great time when I was there, Dave is an amazing person and the best person for that kind of job. I was impressed with the school overall, I wished there were more students talking to us...there was just one student, which I felt was a bit odd.

I found out later that same evening that was accepted with a generous scholarship but I chose to attend Scholl because of the weather and the area where Barry is at. I'm from NY so I like the cold, can't handle the humidity that FL offers. But in any case, Barry is great if you can handle their curriculum.

I was a little worried about not meeting many students at Barry on interview day after reading similar statements to yours. I imagine they received feedback on that because this year was plentiful in terms of interactions with students (at least when I went). We spent time with students while we waited to interview, two at lunch, dropped in on a two classes throughout the day. One in lecture, so we observed and the other just before class was beginning. They invited us in to ask questions before class started which was helpful. I also called students while trying to make a decision between schools well after my interview. I did hear one recurrent theme from all- some professors have a tough love approach and while they do it to make you better, some students struggle with that. Talking to students at various schools made a big difference for me when interviewing.

I was a little worried about not meeting many students at Barry on interview day after reading similar statements to yours. I imagine they received feedback on that because this year was plentiful in terms of interactions with students (at least when I went). We spent time with students while we waited to interview, two at lunch, dropped in on a two classes throughout the day. One in lecture, so we observed and the other just before class was beginning. They invited us in to ask questions before class started which was helpful. I also called students while trying to make a decision between schools well after my interview. I did hear one recurrent theme from all- some professors have a tough love approach and while they do it to make you better, some students struggle with that. Talking to students at various schools made a big difference for me when interviewing.

That's great to hear. Barry's meal plan and the cheap housing/dorms is also another plus.

No one has dropped out yet.

Workload is on another planet. Material is easy to understand but the volume and time it takes to commit to memory is what makes it difficult.

Have a sibling in his first year of MD and we swap stories all the time. Workload wise there is no difference.

I totally agree with this statement. It isn't so much the difficulty of the material, it's the volume, time commitment, and discipline.
Furthermore, most of your peers are just as smart or hardworking, or even more so. The dynamics of the education is completely different from undergrad.
My best friend is doing the DO program at DMU while I am at NYCPM and he feels sorry for me and my workload (the constant testing)... LOL

Hi!

Taking my MCAT in mid-July and applying early as possible. Will be dedicating May 1st-mid-July to intense MCAT studying.

By the end of this year, my cGPA will be a 3.0 and sGPA a 2.7. Both numbers show strong upward trend. sGPA is also a relfection of taking half of my pre reqs my freshman year and being a freshman who didn't think they had to study...unfortunately not at all a reflection of my ability to handle science related coursework.

"Public Ivy" (lol). Strong ECs: studied alpacas in Ecuador for a month, prestigious internship at state chief medical examiner's office, palliative care volunteer, lots of animal related volunteering + MD and DPM shadowing.

Fingers crossed on the MCAT. Temple is my #1. I live in New England and staying close to family is important, so I'm also looking at NYCPM but I have reservations about mandatory classes, multiple exams each week, and several other issues that have been raised here...Please educate me otherwise!

Last edited:
Hi!

Taking my MCAT in mid-July and applying early as possible. Will be dedicating May 1st-mid-July to intense MCAT studying.

By the end of this year, my cGPA will be a 3.0 and sGPA a 2.7. Both numbers show strong upward trend. sGPA is also a relfection of taking half of my pre reqs my freshman year and being a freshman who didn't think they had to study...unfortunately not at all a reflection of my ability to handle science related coursework.

"Public Ivy" (lol). Strong ECs: studied alpacas in Ecuador for a month, prestigious internship at state chief medical examiner's office, palliative care volunteer, lots of animal related volunteering + MD and DPM shadowing.

Fingers crossed on the MCAT. Temple is my #1. I live in New England and staying close to family is important, so I'm also looking at NYCPM but I have reservations about mandatory classes, multiple exams each week, and several other issues that have been raised here...Please educate me otherwise!

Are you applying to begin classes in 2018 or 2019? June 30th is deadline from AACPMAS.
Your chances depend on your MCAT score. A score of 495+ should land you few IIs.
Almost all of the 9 schools follow those multiple-exams formats that will be the same. The mandatory attendance is something to think about.

Are you applying to begin classes in 2018 or 2019? June 30th is deadline from AACPMAS.
Your chances depend on your MCAT score. A score of 495+ should land you few IIs.
Almost all of the 9 schools follow those multiple-exams formats that will be the same. The mandatory attendance is something to think about.

Applying for enrollment in 2019.

Are there cutoffs for GPA/MCAT at Temple? More specifically sGPA as mine is quite low (2.7 despite prominent upward trend). I looked around SDN and did some google searches but did not find anything.

Are there cutoffs for GPA/MCAT at Temple? More specifically sGPA as mine is quite low (2.7 despite prominent upward trend). I looked around SDN and did some google searches but did not find anything.

I think I remember reading somewhere that anything below a 2.7 they strongly recommend you call first before you applying.

Ok hey guys I recently got into the idea of pods just from my year off from school. I am currently working full time as a middle school science teacher and want to know my odds into the top pods schools like temple or scholls. I have 3.69GPA and 492 MCAT. Besides teaching I did shadow a physician but not a podiatrist. What are my odds will schools reject me due to the lack of pods experience?

Ok hey guys I recently got into the idea of pods just from my year off from school. I am currently working full time as a middle school science teacher and want to know my odds into the top pods schools like temple or scholls. I have 3.69GPA and 492 MCAT. Besides teaching I did shadow a physician but not a podiatrist. What are my odds will schools reject me due to the lack of pods experience?
Your stats are fine. Find a pod to shadow!

your stats are fine.

Even if not rejected due to lack of experience, why would you commit to something you have never observed. Are you ready for 7 years and huge debt?

I would strongly encourage you too shadow a podiatrist.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I've had a lot of foot problems lately and I had an incredible experience with my podiatrist over the past six months or so. I was pre-med but I'm having a change of heart, and I was wondering how my stats were? My top choice would probably be Temple since it's so close to home (and it's a great school).

For Undergrad, cumulative GPA was around 3.15, science GPA was around 2.8
I then got my Master's degree in a post-bacc type program through Drexel University, ended with Cum 3.4/Science 3.35
My MCAT is 499

Thanks for all your input!

Hey guys! I've had a lot of foot problems lately and I had an incredible experience with my podiatrist over the past six months or so. I was pre-med but I'm having a change of heart, and I was wondering how my stats were? My top choice would probably be Temple since it's so close to home (and it's a great school).

I then got my Master's degree in a post-bacc type program through Drexel University, ended with Cum 3.4/Science 3.35
My MCAT is 499

You're fine for Podiatry.
Make sure to shadow other Pods and see the dirty side of this field such as foot ulcers.
Your stats are fine for postbacc programs leading to DO schools and maybe even newer DO schools, so make sure Pod is what you really want to do because it is a 7-year commitment.

My MCAT is 499

I think you have a good chance! Apply and who knows? We may be classmates next year! lol

You're fine for Podiatry.
Make sure to shadow other Pods and see the dirty side of this field such as foot ulcers.
Your stats are fine for postbacc programs leading to DO schools and maybe even newer DO schools, so make sure Pod is what you really want to do because it is a 7-year commitment.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I'm gonna get plenty of shadowing hours in before the next cycle opens

I think you have a good chance! Apply and who knows? We may be classmates next year! lol

I don't think I will be applying until next cycle- it's a bit late to be starting the application process, no?

I don't think I will be applying until next cycle- it's a bit late to be starting the application process, no?

My application was only complete since last week and I interviewed just yesterday (Dec 4th). You're not late in the game =]

Are apps still down? I though some schools were increasing their class size.

That’s good because I don’t think they increased residency spots yet and from what I can remember last year, there were 52 unmatched.

Not late with your stats.

DPM bit less competitive than MD/DO.

Applications are also down this year so there will still be seats open.

Apply now.

The only thing I would be concerned about is that science GPA at places like AZPOD or DMU. Coupled with that MCAT tho, you can deff get into a pod school if you are not picky, you have a good reason why podiatry, and you don’t totally blow your interview.

I don’t see DO school happening tho. You are sopposed to Ace post bacc/SMP. That MCAT May be accaptable if your undergrad was a 3.6+.

It’s deff not too late in the cycle. I applied around this time last year and got into Kent before the new year. I had to wait on the other schools. Big schools will get back with you sooner because they fill their class faster.

My MCAT is 499

Hello,
I am planning to apply for the 2018-2019 cycle. I was wondering if what are my chances with a MCAT of 490 and cGPA of 3.1 and sGPA of 2.85.
Thank you in advance for everyone help!

That Science GPA is a bit concerning, but if you had an upward trend, thats a bit better. Unfortunately, your MCAT score is low as well as your science, which means that for the most part, Top schools like AZPOD and DMU are a reach (though not impossible).

I can see you getting interviews at some of the bigger schools, though you are gonna get grilled on academic performance. I had a 3.2 science and they grilled me.

Hello,
I am planning to apply for the 2018-2019 cycle. I was wondering if what are my chances with a MCAT of 490 and cGPA of 3.1 and sGPA of 2.85.

Hello,

Looks like you may be on the lower end with all your stats. It'd be great if you could try and get cGPA 3.2 and sGPA 3.0. A stellar personal statement could help too. I think that would definitely get you interviews. Otherwise I would apply broadly within the first few weeks the cycle opens for your best chances of netting the most II.

Hello,
Your GPA is a little low because the average accepting cGPA and sGPA is respectively, 3.3 and 3.0. MCAT varies through schools but the average accepting MCAT score is a 493-495.

I do believe that you have a good chance of getting some interviews at some of the podiatry schools. Make sure that you shadowed a podiatrist and know what you are getting into. Understanding your podiatry experience, I think, is the deciding factor of getting into a school or not.