This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, almost anyone can get into pod school, getting through is a whole other business.

That being said, I’d rather have high requirements to practice. Don’t want no dumb people poking around my foot.

Come to school ready to work. It will be hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

So I am planning to apply to Podiatry school next cycle and I wanted to ask if I would be competitive and I have some questions. First off, I graduated last May from an Ivy League University with a degree in Chemical Engineering with a GPA of 3.420 (not sure about sGPA and which classes would be included). I was also a varsity athlete throughout college, was a tutor, TA, and had 2 summers of research (ChemE and BME related). Now, I have been working in software full-time since graduation. Now my first question is about volunteering experience. So I don't really have any experience, but also right now it's kind of hard to find a place to volunteer outside of my 9-5 work hours. The only place that I can find now with later hours is actually my local physical therapist. So would volunteering at a PT office be appropriate? I also plan to shadow a podiatrist in a few months. In addition, I will be traveling abroad to South America this summer to teach english and I will try to volunteer at a nursing home or hospital there as well. Would this experience be sufficient?
I also have a question about the MCAT. I am planning to begin my studying soon and I want to take it in Sept. 8. Is this too late, or should I make it a priority to take it earlier? Thanks in advance!

As long as you score 490+ on the MCAT you will get acceptances even without the ECs and volunteering, so when it comes to that I recommend doing something you enjoy and sticking with it to show commitment. A September MCAT is fine. Make sure you shadow to ensure this is the career for you before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

So I am planning to apply to Podiatry school next cycle and I wanted to ask if I would be competitive and I have some questions. First off, I graduated last May from an Ivy League University with a degree in Chemical Engineering with a GPA of 3.420 (not sure about sGPA and which classes would be included). I was also a varsity athlete throughout college, was a tutor, TA, and had 2 summers of research (ChemE and BME related). Now, I have been working in software full-time since graduation. Now my first question is about volunteering experience. So I don't really have any experience, but also right now it's kind of hard to find a place to volunteer outside of my 9-5 work hours. The only place that I can find now with later hours is actually my local physical therapist. So would volunteering at a PT office be appropriate? I also plan to shadow a podiatrist in a few months. In addition, I will be traveling abroad to South America this summer to teach english and I will try to volunteer at a nursing home or hospital there as well. Would this experience be sufficient?
I also have a question about the MCAT. I am planning to begin my studying soon and I want to take it in Sept. 8. Is this too late, or should I make it a priority to take it earlier? Thanks in advance!
Your stats are fine and any healthcare volunteer works. I volunteered in a PT clinic too. You can always try and volunteer in ERs and stuff too. Podiatry school isnt the hardest to get into. You have a good GPA so just do decent on the MCAT and you'll get in somewhere. Your ECs, if you did all that, would be more than enough. My only question is if youre starting to study for the MCAT soon, why wait til September to take it? Thats a really long time to study

Your stats are fine and any healthcare volunteer works. I volunteered in a PT clinic too. You can always try and volunteer in ERs and stuff too. Podiatry school isnt the hardest to get into. You have a good GPA so just do decent on the MCAT and you'll get in somewhere. Your ECs, if you did all that, would be more than enough. My only question is if youre starting to study for the MCAT soon, why wait til September to take it? Thats a really long time to study

Thanks for the response! And the reason why I'd wait so long is because I am currently working full time. I am going abroad April or May, but I suppose I could knuckle down and take it before I leave after months of content review with a week or two of solid practice tests. But otherwise I planned to study hard while abroad and take it when I'd return.

Thanks for the response! And the reason why I'd wait so long is because I am currently working full time. I am going abroad April or May, but I suppose I could knuckle down and take it before I leave after months of content review with a week or two of solid practice tests. But otherwise I planned to study hard while abroad and take it when I'd return.
I worked full time while studying. And I hadnt taken any physics or biochem. You can definitely do it. I studied after work and all day on the weekends for 3 months. Kaplan review books helped me learn content, but after that its mainly practice tests. I say this because, September MCAT isnt too late to get into school, but that is really long to study. Youll either burn out or forget what you studied a few months back.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you not fail without Biochem? My MCAT was like 50% biochem on all sections (besides verbal)

I worked full time while studying. And I hadnt taken any physics or biochem. You can definitely do it. I studied after work and all day on the weekends for 3 months. Kaplan review books helped me learn content, but after that its mainly practice tests. I say this because, September MCAT isnt too late to get into school, but that is really long to study. Youll either burn out or forget what you studied a few months back.

I think it is important to know your sGPA. So far you only provided cGPA, so it is hard to see how competitive you are without MCAT and sGPA. Your cGPA is good.
Go to ACPMAS Course Subjects and you will be able to see what courses make up science GPA.
Did you take all science prereqs needed?

Taking so much time to study for MCAT is not necessarily good especially if it is intermittent. By September, you will forget what you studied in January - April.

Develop a study plan.

I would strongly encourage volunteering/working in healthcare setting at least for sometime for your own sake to see if you like medicine. In addition, I would strongly encourage shadowing a podiatrist.
Thanks for the reply! I found a website with a list of class subjects, but I’m a bit confused, engineering and specifically chemical engineering is listed as subject for the science gpa but I was wondering if I had to include all of then even though most of them weren’t biology or medically related?

How did you not fail without Biochem? My MCAT was like 50% biochem on all sections (besides verbal)
I got lucky haha I think my university’s ochem and general biology classes included a lot of biochem, so when I studied the concepts in Kaplan a lot of them looked familiar

I didn't even really know what biochem was to be honest before i started studying for mcat, let alone taken a class. lol

My mcat was biochem on alot of parts too but memorizing AA's and the line-weaver burke plot, michealis menton thing, and definitions of gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis etc was all i did and I did very well so go figure hahhaa

Reactions: 1 users
Hey!

I have an overall GPA of 3.2 (upward trend) a sGPA of 3.0 and a mcat score of a 491.
I also shadowed 2 pods.
Im planning on retaking my mcat end of January, but what are my chances of getting in this cycle with these stats?
And would it be too late to apply in March?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hey!

I have an overall GPA of 3.2 (upward trend) a sGPA of 3.0 and a mcat score of a 491.
I also shadowed 2 pods.
Im planning on retaking my mcat end of January, but what are my chances of getting in this cycle with these stats?
And would it be too late to apply in March?

Thanks in advance!!!
If you dont care about what Pod school you go to im sure youll get into atleast 1 with your current stats. I would apply now, but if you apply in march know that the smaller schools would proabably be full.

If you retake the MCAT and get like 495+ it could open the door for scholarships

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont care about what Pod school you go to im sure youll get into atleast 1 with your current stats. I would apply now, but if you apply in march know that the smaller schools would proabably be full.

If you retake the MCAT and get like 495+ it could open the door for scholarships

Im aiming to get into NYCPM

Members don't see this ad :)
why wait until March if you take MCAT in January?

I would apply now. your stats are ok for most schools. If you get a higher score you might updates schools to which you applied.

I would not wait. March might be late. What if you get around 490-495? It wouldn't help to apply two months later.

The scores aren't released till the end of February, so i was planning on getting the scores and then applying. But i think i might change my game plan and apply as soon as possible.

Hello everyone,

I am planning on applying to podiatry schools and was wondering what my chances are for the various schools. I have a 3.42 cGPA, a 3.72 non-science GPA, and a 3.3 science GPA with an MCAT of 498. I have worked at at hospital for a year and a half as a CNA and have worked in a research lab for 2 years. I have various extra-curricular/volunteer hours and have shadowed podiatrists.

Let me know where you guys think I should apply and have a good chance at getting into.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am planning on applying to podiatry schools and was wondering what my chances are for the various schools. I have a 3.42 cGPA, a 3.72 non-science GPA, and a 3.3 science GPA with an MCAT of 498. I have worked at at hospital for a year and a half as a CNA and have worked in a research lab for 2 years. I have various extra-curricular/volunteer hours and have shadowed podiatrists.

Let me know where you guys think I should apply and have a good chance at getting into.

Thanks!

You're fine for all of them.

Pick whichever school you are most interested in be it based on location, board pass rates, feel from faculty/students, weather.

Shadow and get rec letters.

Perfect, any pod school would love to have you. I recommend DMU or AZPOD.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Perfect, any pod school would love to have you. I recommend DMU or AZPOD.
I would apply to Scholl too that’s good enough for a half tuition .. azpod doesn’t offer scholarships I’d pass on that

From WI so I know a thing or two about snow
Def consider Scholl then.. I was deciding between DMU and Scholl and I chose Scholl. Those are prob the two closest to you. There was a couple with similar stats that applied this cycle and got half tuition at Scholl which means 37 ish to 19k a year is which is pretty nice. DMU doesn't offer more than 6 or 8k a year from what I've been told

Hello everyone! First time posting on SDN. I was planning on applying in the 2018-2019 application cycle but I recently found out that I am able to graduate this May from undergrad since I took some summer classes last year at my university, therefore getting my undergrad degree in 3 years. I wanted to know what all of you guys thought my chances were of getting into pod school at NYCPM if I applied in around May?
I have not taken the MCAT yet and I don't think I will be ready to take it until around April since I am taking biochemistry this coming Spring 2018 semester. I just submitted my central app yesterday and will be sending my LORs soon, but the MCAT score they won't receive for a while since I have not even taken it yet.
I have a 3.5 overall and a 3.3 science GPA. I have not shadowed a podiatrist yet, only talked to a few. I am scheduled to shadow one soon though and I believe she will write me a LOR.
I have around 2,000 hours of inpatient phlebotomy experience (for patient contact hours) and I did shadow a DO in family medicine for around 20 hours.
What do you guys think?
Thank you in advance!!

Hello everyone! First time posting on SDN. I was planning on applying in the 2018-2019 application cycle but I recently found out that I am able to graduate this May from undergrad since I took some summer classes last year at my university, therefore getting my undergrad degree in 3 years. I wanted to know what all of you guys thought my chances were of getting into pod school at NYCPM if I applied in around May?
I have not taken the MCAT yet and I don't think I will be ready to take it until around April since I am taking biochemistry this coming Spring 2018 semester. I just submitted my central app yesterday and will be sending my LORs soon, but the MCAT score they won't receive for a while since I have not even taken it yet.
I have a 3.5 overall and a 3.3 science GPA. I have not shadowed a podiatrist yet, only talked to a few. I am scheduled to shadow one soon though and I believe she will write me a LOR.
I have around 2,000 hours of inpatient phlebotomy experience (for patient contact hours) and I did shadow a DO in family medicine for around 20 hours.
What do you guys think?
Thank you in advance!!
get a 492+and you'll get into any school of your choice. Shadow soon and apply asap, why apply in may?

Last edited by a moderator:
get a 492+and you'll get into any school of your choice. Shadow soon and apply asap, why apply in may?
I submitted my central application yesterday, but I am guessing I won't be considered for interviews/admisison until the schools get my MCAT scores. I don't think I am ready to take the MCAT until April since I am taking biochem this semester in my undergrad institution. Therefore, I guess my application won't be "complete" until May since scores take a while to come back. Are most spots at NYCPM taken by than usually?
Thanks again!

I submitted my central application yesterday, but I am guessing I won't be considered for interviews/admisison until the schools get my MCAT scores. I don't think I am ready to take the MCAT until April since I am taking biochem this semester in my undergrad institution. Therefore, I guess my application won't be "complete" until May since scores take a while to come back. Are most spots at NYCPM taken by than usually?
Thanks again!
I've seen people on these forums get interviews even without mcat scores. Acceptance would probably be contingent on you getting an acceptable score. You'll be fine. Just start shadowing soon.

I would apply to Scholl too that’s good enough for a half tuition .. azpod doesn’t offer scholarships I’d pass on that
AZpod all the way. Had my choice at any school. Never regretted my decision. Fyi, it was 81 today!

You guys know anything about interviews with NYCPM? I am from North Jersey (Bergen County) and because of financial reasons, it would be best if I went to NYCPM since the school is like a 45 minute commute, therefore I wouldn't have to be spending extra money for an apartment. I will get my LORs in ASAP and already requested my transcript to be sent to AACPMAS.

As far as shadowing goes, I did mention on my PS that I will be shadowing a specific doctor that I have already set up my consultation with. I hope this won't affect my chances of getting in since I don't have the shadowing experience yet. Is that something I can update my app with after completing my shadowing?
Thanks for the ongoing support guys!

You guys know anything about interviews with NYCPM? I am from North Jersey (Bergen County) and because of financial reasons, it would be best if I went to NYCPM since the school is like a 45 minute commute, therefore I wouldn't have to be spending extra money for an apartment. I will get my LORs in ASAP and already requested my transcript to be sent to AACPMAS.

As far as shadowing goes, I did mention on my PS that I will be shadowing a specific doctor that I have already set up my consultation with. I hope this won't affect my chances of getting in since I don't have the shadowing experience yet. Is that something I can update my app with after completing my shadowing?
Thanks for the ongoing support guys!

Did you receive an interview invite from them?

It's a dry heat. Why better than Wisconsin summer where it's always humid.
Anything past 105 dry or humid is miserable to me because I’ve visited.. how often do you get burns from your car leather from that heat? Lord take the wheel cause I’m not touching it

Last edited:
Does Temple have an sGPA screen? 2.7 by the end of this year with an upward trend...terrible freshman year grades. 3.0 cGPA and 3.8 non science GPA.

Does Temple have an sGPA screen? 2.7 by the end of this year with an upward trend...terrible freshman year grades. 3.0 cGPA and 3.8 non science GPA.
Im not sure, they waitlisted me because of a couple of grades after my interview, because I had a rough couple of semesters from an overseas death. They wanted me to take classes to show I still could "handle a large school load" yet I still had a 3.4 and 3.0 for undergrad, no real trend and my MCAT was above their average. Glad I liked Scholl and DMU a lot better where I had acceptances + scholarships.

Im not sure, they waitlisted me because of a couple of grades after my interview, because I had a rough couple of semesters from an overseas death. They wanted me to take classes to show I still could "handle a large school load" yet I still had a 3.4 and 3.0 for undergrad, no real trend and my MCAT was above their average. Glad I liked Scholl and DMU a lot better where I had acceptances + scholarships.

Would you mind sharing what your MCAT was? I am planning on doing an 87 day MCAT plan this summer which will require 5+ hours of studying each day. My goal is to murder the test.

That sGPA might be low for Temple at this point. If you get an MCAT score closer to 500 then you may receive an II and if you really want to go there then try their internship program after the mcat.

Anything past 105 dry or humid is miserable to me because I’ve visited.. how often do you get burns from your car leather from that heat? Lord take the wheel cause I’m not touching it
You don't own leather seats when you live here. Have to use common sense on that one. And you spend most your time studying anyways so the heat never bothered me. At night the air is cooler since there is no moisture to hold the heat in. And I would rather be hot than hot and wet all the time. And the education you get here is top notch along with having amazing staff!! Can't beat it!!

Did you receive an interview invite from them?
I just applied over the weekend. I have not submitted my LORs yet, they have not received my official transcript yet (submitted the request on my university website yesterday as well), and no MCAT. I don't think that my app would be processed that fast with the central app server. I have not received an interview yet.

I just applied over the weekend. I have not submitted my LORs yet, they have not received my official transcript yet (submitted the request on my university website yesterday as well), and no MCAT. I don't think that my app would be processed that fast with the central app server. I have not received an interview yet.

They will not review your app until your file is complete, so they will wait for your LORs, MCAT, etc, and then move on.

Once you receive the II, come back here and let us know. You should also check the interview section here on SDN for NYCPM specific interview questions that they ask almost all applicants. But, anywhere you interview, they will ask the basic questions, such as, why pod, why their school, explain any red flags during undergrad, what did you score lower in that section of the MCAT, etc.

They will not review your app until your file is complete, so they will wait for your LORs, MCAT, etc, and then move on.

Once you receive the II, come back here and let us know. You should also check the interview section here on SDN for NYCPM specific interview questions that they ask almost all applicants. But, anywhere you interview, they will ask the basic questions, such as, why pod, why their school, explain any red flags during undergrad, what did you score lower in that section of the MCAT, etc.

From what I have read on the central app site, there is no secondary for NYCPM. But I am probably wrong. It did ask me when I am taking the MCAT, so I put a date in and that is how I was able to submit my application. I really hope they at least give me an interview after submitting my LORs but no MCAT yet. I just need a bit more time to take the MCAT. Maybe mid way through biochemistry this semester I should be ready to take it so like March. I am just hoping all the spots at NYCPM aren't taken by than!!

From what I have read on the central app site, there is no secondary for NYCPM. But I am probably wrong. It did ask me when I am taking the MCAT, so I put a date in and that is how I was able to submit my application. I really hope they at least give me an interview after submitting my LORs but no MCAT yet. I just need a bit more time to take the MCAT. Maybe mid way through biochemistry this semester I should be ready to take it so like March. I am just hoping all the spots at NYCPM aren't taken by than!!
No schools have secondaries. Only the central app service. Many people including me took the Mcat without biochem and scored well enough to get in. It is not a must but will help. Schools will offer interview without Mcat but not accept, some without LORs also.

No schools have secondaries. Only the central app service. Many people including me took the Mcat without biochem and scored well enough to get in. It is not a must but will help. Schools will offer interview without Mcat but not accept, some without LORs also.

Unless the rules have changed from the last cycle, NYCPM is one of the schools that will not send out interview invites before a file is complete.

@pre-PodStudent159, concentrate on doing well in your classes and prepping for the MCAT. March is still considered early in the Pod application cycle so you have time to be part of this years class, as long as you meet their requirements.

Unless the rules have changed from the last cycle, NYCPM is one of the schools that will not send out interview invites before a file is complete.

@pre-PodStudent159, concentrate on doing well in your classes and prepping for the MCAT. March is still considered early in the Pod application cycle so you have time to be part of this years class, as long as you meet their requirements.
Thank you! I really hope I can be part of this upcoming year's class. If not, I will just wait an additional year and take a "year off" as planned before. Although, I really would rather get started right away!!