This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
unless you have a car like me with leather cooling seats
Well well, look at mr. moneybags over here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

My uGPA: 2.93 sGPA: 2.83 MCAT:487 (Retaking in April)
Upward trend: 3.45 gpa last two years of undergrad

Biology Major, student athlete, 300+ hours of shadowing MD/DO, 20+ hours shadowing DPM, 200 hours volunteering in hospital, research for 1 year during undergrad, 200 hours of respite care internship, overseas mission trips, leadership position in undergrad organizations/clubs.

I was wondering what my chances are of being accepted?

Last edited:
Hey!

Biology Major, student athlete, 300+ hours of shadowing MD/DO, 20+ hours shadowing DPM, 200 hours volunteering in hospital, research for 1 year during undergrad, 200 hours of respite care internship, overseas mission trips, leadership position in undergrad organizations/clubs.

Low chances. Low GPA and very low MCAT. You might get an interview somewhere. The most I worry is how you will survive the pod school.

Hey!

Someone posted a week or so ago with similar stats and said they had been rejected everywhere but Barry (2.9 and 490) I’d say you need atleast a 495 and apply to all of them. I think most people would agree hat the schools look much more at GPA than Mcat. But it’s also getting later in the cycle which isn’t going to help you. But you still have a shot just improve

I just scheduled my MCAT for March 24th. My cGPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.3. I won't get back my MCAT scores until May 1st, so do you guys think this is going to be cutting it close for me to get into either NYCPM or Temple? I really don't want to take a gap year...

I just scheduled my MCAT for March 24th. My cGPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.3. I won't get back my MCAT scores until May 1st, so do you guys think this is going to be cutting it close for me to get into either NYCPM or Temple? I really don't want to take a gap year...
depends on MCAT

Hey!

Upward trend is great. They'll take that into account.

Do the best you can on MCAT. Take it seriously. You're an athlete, apply that same discipline to the MCAT.
Once you get it back then you can decide.

Know that once you get in, it may be an uphill struggle to stay in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone viewing this!

I need some help if my chances to enter Podiatry school is good. I am Hispanic (Mexican) born from immigrant parents in the U.S. My gpa is low due to lack of performance during my first two years in college and I know its no excuse. I worked full time during all four years paying my way through college including volunteering. However, after shadowing a podiatrist in my community I fell in love with the profession! Any help from SDN community will be greatly appreciated.

My stats are as follows:
GPA: 3.10 gpa overall Mcat: 508 Volunteer hours (medical related): over 1,000 hours (3) Good letter of recommendations PodiatryPodiatires: ~10 hours and loved it!

Thanks!

Hello everyone viewing this!

I need some help if my chances to enter Podiatry school is good. I am Hispanic (Mexican) born from immigrant parents in the U.S. My gpa is low due to lack of performance during my first two years in college and I know its no excuse. I worked full time during all four years paying my way through college including volunteering. However, after shadowing a podiatrist in my community I fell in love with the profession! Any help from SDN community will be greatly appreciated.

My stats are as follows:
GPA: 3.10 gpa overall Mcat: 508 Volunteer hours (medical related): over 1,000 hours (3) Good letter of recommendations PodiatryPodiatires: ~10 hours and loved it!

Thanks!
high MCAT.

what's science GPA?

high MCAT.

what's science GPA?
Hi PashaOdesit,
My science gpa is not good around 3.05 gpa. I honestly have to say I was overly excited for my high mcat after months of studying. Do you believe this will take a large effect on my application?

Hi PashaOdesit,
My science gpa is not good around 3.05 gpa. I honestly have to say I was overly excited for my high mcat after months of studying. Do you believe this will take a large effect on my application?

Your overall and science gpa is average. With your mcat score, you have a very good chance of getting into a pod school, with some possible scholarships. Are you planning to apply for this cycle?

I would advise you to prepare for your interviews. There’s an interview feedback section here on sdn that shows what questions were asked for the previous interviewees.

Hi PashaOdesit,
your GPA is good. That MCAT is awesome. Don't worry about it. Both science and cumulative GPA are good.

Your overall and science gpa is average. With your mcat score, you have a very good chance of getting into a pod school, with some possible scholarships. Are you planning to apply for this cycle?

I would advise you to prepare for your interviews. There’s an interview feedback section here on sdn that shows what questions were asked for the previous interviewees.
your GPA is good. That MCAT is awesome. Don't worry about it. Both science and cumulative GPA are good.
Thank you, both for the responses! The only problem is I would really like to apply this year but I need to save up money for the application fees, airfares, hotels and other expenses. I know the deadline for all is 6/30/18 for fall admission from the aacpmas application. What do you recommend the latest to apply? Is there an early priority admission for podiatry school? Late admissions? I don't want to reduce my chances. Thanks again

Thank you, both for the responses! The only problem is I would really like to apply this year but I need to save up money for the application fees, airfares, hotels and other expenses. I know the deadline for all is 6/30/18 for fall admission from the aacpmas application. What do you recommend the latest to apply? Is there an early priority admission for podiatry school? Late admissions? I don't want to reduce my chances. Thanks again
Have seen people with high stats get in May before application ends in June.

Don't worry.

Do you have school preference? Is there a regional preference or specific school preference? Have you done research about the schools?

I can't speak of the schools besides DMU and Scholl. Last year Scholl was interviewing candidates even after June 30th deadline. DMU tends to fill up the class by April. It is still January. now is a good time to apply. Why would you wait until May or June? You still need time to relocate and settle before orientation days. With these stats you can apply to only 1-2 top choice schools and get in. You don't have to apply to all 9 to spend a lot of money.
I would encourage to apply now. You still have a shot at all schools right now. Past April, I think DMU and AZPOD spots may be limited.

Hi everyone

I'm a little nervous to apply but hopefully I'll get some help with this.
I recently transferred schools because of a lot of family problems. I had a terribly low GPA at the time of my transfer. Like, 1.7 or 1.9 (can't remember which) low. However, I've had a HUGE upward trend since beginning at my new school, and my current GPA is 3.56.
I'm planning on taking the MCAT early summer and applying to Temple, Kent, DMU, and Scholls the first day the app is open for the next cycle. I got a 516 on a diagnostic and have a goal of 510.
ECs include a few hundred hours of pod shadowing (he's writing and LOR as well), a couple years of CNA work, and several academic clubs.

How do they calculate GPA? I know they will absolutely see that 1.7 GPA but will I get auto rejected?
Would calling admissions and explaining be worthless?

Hi everyone

I recently transferred schools because of a lot of family problems. I had a terribly low GPA at the time of my transfer. Like, 1.7 or 1.9 (can't remember which) low. However, I've had a HUGE upward trend since beginning at my new school, and my current GPA is 3.56.
I'm planning on taking the MCAT early summer and applying to Temple, Kent, DMU, and Scholls the first day the app is open for the next cycle. I got a 516 on a diagnostic and have a goal of 510.
ECs include a few hundred hours of pod shadowing (he's writing and LOR as well), a couple years of CNA work, and several academic clubs.

How do they calculate GPA? I know they will absolutely see that 1.7 GPA but will I get auto rejected?

All of your undergrad GPAs will be combined into one final cumulative and one science by AACPMAS.
A positive trend is always great but those 1.7 and 1.9 will bring your overall GPA down.
Concentrate on doing well on the MCAT as that might be deciding factor for you. GL!

Hi everyone

Is 3.56 your cumulative gpa now? If your cum or science gpa is below 2.7 I think a couple schools would want you to contact them before submitting your app. You'll probably have to explain what went wrong before you transferred. But if your mcat ends up being in the range you stated above I think you'll be fine. Shadow a pod and get a good letter.

However, I've had a HUGE upward trend since beginning at my new school, and my current GPA is 3.56.

Current GPA, is it your cumulative? Or is it just a GPA at new school? If it is cumulative GPA of all courses you ever taken, then there is nothing to worry about. If it is only a GPA at new school, then it is not a "HUGE" upward trend.

Undergrad : 3.12
Masters: 3.9
MCAT: 489
Tons of EC, played water polo in college.

Ended up receiving interviews at CSPM and Kent. Attended both, got rejected from CSPM. Wait-listed at Kent. Denied from WesternU, AZ, Temple, Scholl. I still have to apply to DMU, Barry, NYCPM. Should I apply later this cycle and retake the MCAT? Or apply later this cycle with the same stats?

Ended up receiving interviews at CSPM and Kent. Attended both, got rejected from CSPM. Wait-listed at Kent. Denied from WesternU, AZ, Temple, Scholl. I still have to apply to DMU, Barry, NYCPM. Should I apply later this cycle and retake the MCAT? Or apply later this cycle with the same stats?
don't apply to DMU, autoreject. You can try NYCPM or Barry though.

what is your science GPA?
What was your Masters and how long?

Shadowed a podiatrist?

The school's responses thus far is a good indication of not continue to apply this cycle. Don't waste your money on NYCPM; your MCAT is too low for them.
You might have an interview shot at Barry or not, but I would suggest retaking the MCAT and apply to these schools then with a better score or apply early next year.

Two major benefits of retaking the MCAT and receiving a higher score: A good score (495-500+) will give you the confidence to do well in school when you begin and 2) you will get some scholarship.

Just my 2 cents! GL

Reactions: 2 users

MCAT too low or personality issue during interview or redflag in app/history.

If you retook MCAT you'd be fine.

Undergrad 3.12 gpa was cumulative or science?

Thanks for the opinions guys! I was thinking about re-taking for next cycle and hopefully having a shot at AZ pod or Western U, if I can score above 495-496. My MCAT was just pure hell on that day, I completely pooped it. I was scoring in the 499-502 region on Kaplan practice tests so I went in there with too much confidence lol. I'm taking microbiology and anatomy now so hopefully those should bring up my science GPA. The 3.12 is overall. Kent State has not rejected me nor granted admission. In their letter, they simply stated they will review the application and make a final decision by next month.

Thanks for the opinions guys! I was thinking about re-taking for next cycle and hopefully having a shot at AZ pod or Western U, if I can score above 495-496. My MCAT was just pure hell on that day, I completely pooped it. I was scoring in the 499-502 region on Kaplan practice tests so I went in there with too much confidence lol. I'm taking microbiology and anatomy now so hopefully those should bring up my science GPA. The 3.12 is overall. Kent State has not rejected me nor granted admission. In their letter, they simply stated they will review the application and make a final decision by next month.
what's science GPA?

oh, so you might even get in Kent school

Still surprised you didn’t get much love.. What was your masters? Was it science based? You could try applying to the rest and somehow indicate you are retaking the Mcat but may not be worth it. May get a conditional acceptance or something but maybe not with how the other schools responded.

Barry might interview, but I’m on the bright side if you score well on the retake you can apply for the January start class that NYCPM offers so you don’t have to sit out an entire year. I think that’s probably the best approach

I have met someone who has gotten into Kent with a 489. You can deff still get into Kent. It’s not too late, although I would plan for a retake.

If you can manage a 490+, you should be golden at the low tier pod schools.

AZPOD will be difficult with a 3.1,though if you beast the mcat and get a 500+, it’s deff possible. Their mcat average is around the 500-502 mark.

you can apply for the January start class that NYCPM offers so you don’t have to sit out an entire year.
good point, plus some say that January class has slightly deccelerated pace which can be helpful to ease yourself into med school studies.

Don’t think it’s a personality thing because they are still on the fence with the app.

Methinks Kent wants to see how low their app numbers are before extending an acceptance. Someone told me that apps have been down this year.

MCAT too low or personality issue during interview or redflag in app/history.

If you retook MCAT you'd be fine.

Undergrad 3.12 gpa was cumulative or science?

Don’t think it’s a personality thing because they are still on the fence with the app.

Methinks Kent wants to see how low their app numbers are before extending an acceptance. Someone told me that apps have been down this year.

Low app in-turn makes programs to take rather not qualified students. And, sadly, there are dropouts by the end of the first term.

But who are we to judge someone with a 2.6 sciGPA vs a 3.3 sci GPA of making it or not. I think, if someone gets that acceptance then the ball is in their court for making it or not because at that point everyone is playing at the same level..for the same team.

How many people would you say you lost?

Low app in-turn makes programs to take rather not qualified students. And, sadly, there are dropouts by the end of the first term.

But who are we to judge someone with a 2.6 sciGPA vs a 3.3 sci GPA of making it or not. I think, if someone gets that acceptance then the ball is in their court for making it or not because at that point everyone is playing at the same level..for the same team.

For what I'm aware of: 1 left end of dec, but there are several plp who will have to retest a course over summer.

If they fail the retest then they will either have to restart from term 1 or get dismissed!
when they restart from term 1, do they repeat all the courses or just that course that they have failed?

Just an update to those who helped me out! My application got verified on Monday Feb 5th, and I received an interview invite on the same Monday from Temple! I find it weird that I received an interview invite BEFORE taking the MCAT. I am scheduled to take the MCAT in March and I hope I score well enough to get accepted!! Two days later, I got an interview invite from NYCPM as well!! I am interviewing next week with both. NYCPM sent me an email saying that they acknowledge the fact that my MCAT score is missing from my application but are giving me an interview because I show "promising academic ability", and the results from the interview will remain on hold until they receive my MCAT score.
I really find it astonishing that NYCPM is interviewing me before the MCAT because I asked them about this during the AACPM podiatry webinar a few days ago about if it is possible to receive an interview before the MCAT score is received, and they said no.

Science gpa: 3.31
cGPA: 3.51

NYCPM and Temple are the only two schools I applied to. I applied in January.
Has anyone else had an interview BEFORE taking the MCAT? I am a bit confused especially because it is late in the application cycle now.
This is also my first interview for grad school and I don't know what to expect. I am super scared about this!

Just an update to those who helped me out! My application got verified on Monday Feb 5th, and I received an interview invite on the same Monday from Temple! I find it weird that I received an interview invite BEFORE taking the MCAT. I am scheduled to take the MCAT in March and I hope I score well enough to get accepted!! Two days later, I got an interview invite from NYCPM as well!! I am interviewing next week with both. NYCPM sent me an email saying that they acknowledge the fact that my MCAT score is missing from my application but are giving me an interview because I show "promising academic ability", and the results from the interview will remain on hold until they receive my MCAT score.
I really find it astonishing that NYCPM is interviewing me before the MCAT because I asked them about this during the AACPM podiatry webinar a few days ago about if it is possible to receive an interview before the MCAT score is received, and they said no.

Has anyone else had an interview BEFORE taking the MCAT? I am a bit confused especially because it is late in the application cycle now.
This is also my first interview for grad school and I don't know what to expect. I am super scared about this!

It seems like the schools are changing their rules due to another low application year.

With your GPAs, the program hopes that you will be able to score in the 490s the least.
In any case, your admission still depends on the MCAT score and thus that should be your primary concern as of now.
And by no means, it's late in the cycle, March is still considered early for the Pod schools since June 30th is the deadline.
To prepare for the interview, read the interview section here on SDN and search for past threads regarding those two schools.
Congrats on the II and GL.

Last edited:

I would say exactly what Dexter said. In addition, the least thing you need is to be scared. You need to relax. Prepare well and stay confident. Confidence is what you need for an interview.

Last edited:
CGPA: 3.24
SGPA: 3.03
MCAT: 503

One question I got a C- in BIO II Evolution and Diversity in an honors section. I didn't retake the course. I know most pre-health programs consider this a non-passing grade. I haven't seen anything about a C- in a prerequisite for pod school. Do I need to retake the course?

Also chance me please: Temple, NYCPM, Kent State are my top 3

I have a strong Upward trend including a 4.0 in my last two semesters in a competitive undergrad.

One question I got a C- in BIO II Evolution and Diversity in an honors section. I didn't retake the course. I know most pre-health programs consider this a non-passing grade. I haven't seen anything about a C- in a prerequisite for pod school. Do I need to retake the course?

I have a strong Upward trend including a 4.0 in my last two semesters in a competitive undergrad.
I would call the schools you're interested in and ask about the retake. I know some schools require atleast a C in the prereqs. But with your current gpa/mcat, you're in good shape for all the schools on your list.

That C- should be fine for NYCPM: New York College of Podiatric Medicine

I would still email them though and the rest. Great Mcat. Good luck!

Your MCAT is a huge plus for podiatry schools and your GPA is decent but I am a little concerned with your sGPA (average is 3.2-3.3). Still, it is acceptable, so don't stress out too much about it.

Temple: Usually, with your stats, they invite you for the interview but of course, your acceptance depends on the interview process.

NYCPM: They are a little more strict, when it comes to stats but however, you should be able to get an interview from there. Be prepared of your C-. They might ask this during the interview.

Kent State: I interviewed there and honestly, since the class size is huge for podiatry, you are definitely getting an interview if you have a 3.1 GPA and above and a MCAT score of 493 and above. The interview over there is more like a discussion of getting to know to you better and if you really like podiatry.