This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would contact schools about that. From my experience they are picky about the requirements.

I have 7 credits of Organic chemistry and 3 credits of Biochemistry and 1 school said that I will have to take another organic chemistry to meet 8 credits requirement. I tried to explain that many schools can take Biochemistry in place of Organic Chemistry, but they did not want to accept it even though I had 7 out of 8 credits and biochem. So, yes, some schools are picky.

Make sure you ask them. You can call or email them about that.

You can definitely apply and even get accepted without 1 or couple of required courses, but they might make you take them before you matriculate.

oh no. Did you end up having to take and orgo class while applying to pod schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I have a question about grades. So I received a C- first quarter physics my sophomore year. Are podiatry schools picky about retaking classes? Otherwise I have a 3.3 gpa and 504 mcat

I am non-trad and had taken some of my pre-reqs many, many years ago but had 1 C- in a gen chem course. It was my only lower grade and Western told me I would need to retake it because they do not accept lower than a C in the pre-reqs. None of the other schools I was accepted to cared, especially when looking at the other higher level courses I had taken with As. I really did not want to retake that course so I withdrew my application from that school. It would have been easier to just email the schools ahead of time instead of wasting money applying to them, to be honest. :) I should have done that.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how many hours of shadowing a podiatrist is good? i've decided on pursuing podiatry officially but i want to make sure i'm ready to start applying for this coming cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
how many hours of shadowing a podiatrist is good? i've decided on pursuing podiatry officially but i want to make sure i'm ready to start applying for this coming cycle.
Probably around 20-30 is sufficient. But the more the better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I would aim at about 20 hours or more. Try to get some OR hours as well since it is surgical specialty. I had about 26 hours of which around 4 were in OR.

Reactions: 1 users
I would aim at about 20 hours or more. Try to get some OR hours as well since it is surgical specialty. I had about 26 hours of which around 4 were in OR.
thanks guys! that's a good point, i'll definitely try to get some OR hours in too!

Hey guys, this might be really obvious, but where do you find your official AACPMAS GPA after your transcripts have been verified? I can't find it anywhere on my application and have been using a spreadsheet to estimate.

Hey guys, this might be really obvious, but where do you find your official AACPMAS GPA after your transcripts have been verified? I can't find it anywhere on my application and have been using a spreadsheet to estimate.
Did it work?

Thanks so much for the help. Last week I took a full length practice test and I guessed on a lot of questions, but still got a 493. Hopefully I can bump that up in the next few months of study!
With what I’ve seen you’ll get in with that GPA and a 493 no doubt. The podiatry interviews seem to be more about work ethic and trying to figure out if you’ll make it through podiatry school than MCAT score. My MCAT was never addressed in an interview. Good Luck!

Hi I have a question about grades. So I received a C- first quarter physics my sophomore year. Are podiatry schools picky about retaking classes? Otherwise I have a 3.3 gpa and 504 mcat
Honestly I dont think they will care. But if for some reason they do, that’s probably the best science class to have gotten a C in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying for Fall 2019

Entering my 4th year as a biology major so my science and cumulative gpa isn't definite yet but this is how it stands right now.

• cGPA-3.1
  • sGPA-2.8
  • taking MCAT in August
  • first generation
  • fluent in another language
  • coming from low income household
  • maintained a job throughout college
  • 2 years of leadership for my residence hall
  • camp counselor for blind and visually impaired children
  • over 600 hours of research
  • on a dance team
  • president of philanthropy for my sorority (have raised tons of money for multiple organizations and volunteered)
  • over 80 hours of volunteering at a hospital and shadowing ER physicians
  • shadowing a DPM currently so will probably have around 40 hours of shadowing when applying

I'm getting super nervous about my gpa because i had a really bad semester my sophomore year and i retook those classes and made drastic improvements so just let me know what you guys think about my chances. I'm really shooting for NYCPM

Applying for Fall 2019

Entering my 4th year as a biology major so my science and cumulative gpa isn't definite yet but this is how it stands right now.

• cGPA-3.1
  • sGPA-2.8
  • taking MCAT in August
  • first generation
  • on a dance team
  • president of philanthropy for my sorority (have raised tons of money for multiple organizations and volunteered)
  • shadowing a DPM currently so will probably have around 40 hours of shadowing when applying

I'm getting super nervous about my gpa because i had a really bad semester my sophomore year and i retook those classes and made drastic improvements so just let me know what you guys think about my chances. I'm really shooting for NYCPM

Get a 493 or better. Don't let your GPA's drop. Apply early. You'll be golden.

Reactions: 2 users
Any way you can bump up that science gpa higher to make the 3.0? If not, the mcat is prolly gonna need to be 495 to have your pick of schools.

Even with a 490, you could prolly still get into one of the larger schools.

Applying for Fall 2019

• cGPA-3.1
  • sGPA-2.8
  • taking MCAT in August
  • first generation
  • on a dance team

Applying for Fall 2019

• cGPA-3.1
  • sGPA-2.8
  • taking MCAT in August
  • first generation
  • on a dance team

Sci GPA is a concern. NYCPM is no joke but apply to their Jan class due to less coursework.

With your GPA (3.8+), you could prolly get into any Pod school you apply to.

If you retake the MCAT, and score 500+, scholarships might follow suit.

Thanks so much for the help. Last week I took a full length practice test and I guessed on a lot of questions, but still got a 493. Hopefully I can bump that up in the next few months of study!

Hi! New to SDN
I have a cGPA: 3.40 and sGPA: 3.23.
Haven’t taken the MCAT yet, (took a practice 3 hour one w/o studying and got 485) and was debating if I should take it this summer so I can apply for Fall 2019 or on taking it next summer applying for Fall 2020.
I want to go to CSPM or Western, maybe NY, so what should I aim for MCAT wise to have a good shot into podiatry school? Is my gpa decent enough for scholarships?

With those GPAs, anything above a 490 will get you into most school, 495 will get you into any school, and 500+ puts you in the running for scholarship. +/-2 depending on competition.

Hi! New to SDN
Haven’t taken the MCAT yet, (took a practice 3 hour one w/o studying and got 485) and was debating if I should take it this summer so I can apply for Fall 2019 or on taking it next summer applying for Fall 2020.
I want to go to CSPM or Western, maybe NY, so what should I aim for MCAT wise to have a good shot into podiatry school? Is my gpa decent enough for scholarships?

Hi! New to SDN
Good GPA stats. Aim for 495+ and you will be fine. If anything, try to to boost your P/S section. From what I hear it is easiest section to study for and improve. God luck.

Hello! I'm new to SDN.
cGPA: 3.34 scGPA: 3.39
MCAT: 508 (127 in everything)
EC's: US Army Reserve Combat Medic, shadowed a DPM (40 hours), shadowed a few MD's (60 hours) and DO's (30 hours), worked as an EMT for 2 years, Powerlifting Club.
I'm honestly pretty nervous. I was told by my advisor that I wasn't a very competitive applicant for a lot of health professions, but they didn't seem to know much about podiatry. I fell in love with podiatry after shadowing a DPM and seeing how they interacted with their patients and how much more they seemed to enjoy their work than the MD's and DO's I shadowed. I really want to make this happen.

You’re golden. Good luck!
I really hope so! My advisor didn’t seem very confident in me, but she also didn’t know too much about pod schools. I believe she assumed they had similar stats to DO schools. I’ve never really applied to anything competitive like this before, so I’m kind of nervous!

My advisor didn’t seem very confident in me, but she also didn’t know too much about pod schools.
They dont know much about any professional schools. You can find lots of negative feedback here on SDN about the experience people had with their undergrad advisors.

You are golden for podiatry. You are good fit for most, if not all, DO schools, and you are fine for some MD schools as well.

Just make sure you like podiatry. You will definitely get in and get some scholarships depending where you apply.

Hello! I'm new to SDN.
EC's: US Army Reserve Combat Medic, shadowed a DPM (40 hours), shadowed a few MD's (60 hours) and DO's (30 hours), worked as an EMT for 2 years, Powerlifting Club.
I'm honestly pretty nervous. I was told by my advisor that I wasn't a very competitive applicant for a lot of health professions, but they didn't seem to know much about podiatry. I fell in love with podiatry after shadowing a DPM and seeing how they interacted with their patients and how much more they seemed to enjoy their work than the MD's and DO's I shadowed. I really want to make this happen.

Tell your advisor to take a hike.

You may even see scholarships. We love our military.
Go in. Be yourself. Work hard.

You may have more trouble choosing between programs than trying to get in.

They dont know much about any professional schools. You can find lots of negative feedback here on SDN about the experience people had with their undergrad advisors.

You are golden for podiatry. You are good fit for most, if not all, DO schools, and you are fine for some MD schools as well.

Just make sure you like podiatry. You will definitely get in and get some scholarships depending where you apply.
Wow, this is very encouraging! I was basically told to not even look at MD or DO as I would get screened right away. I truly am interested in podiatry though, I had a great experience with the podiatrist I shadowed. Here’s hoping to some acceptances!

Tell your advisor to take a hike.

You may even see scholarships. We love our military.
Go in. Be yourself. Work hard.

You may have more trouble choosing between programs than trying to get in.
Thank you so much! It’s nice to hear these things after basically being told I was a fringe applicant and might need to rethink my career goals.

Wow, this is very encouraging! I was basically told to not even look at MD or DO as I would get screened right away. I truly am interested in podiatry though, I had a great experience with the podiatrist I shadowed. Here’s hoping to some acceptances!
Planning to apply for new cycle or this ending cycle?

Planning to apply for new cycle or this ending cycle?
I’m planning to apply this next cycle. I’m going to retake some older classes I got C’s in as a freshman and sophomore ( gen chem 1 and 2 and A&P) to build my app up some, since I feel like it’s pretty late this ending cycle haha.

I’m planning to apply this next cycle. I’m going to retake some older classes I got C’s in as a freshman and sophomore ( gen chem 1 and 2 and A&P) to build my app up some, since I feel like it’s pretty late this ending cycle haha.
You'd get into DO schools too

You'd get into DO schools too
You think so? I thought DO schools were starting to require almost the same stats as MD schools at this point. Like >3.4 cGPA and sGPA, with an MCAT over 510. Also I don’t have any research :(

You think so? I thought DO schools were starting to require almost the same stats as MD schools at this point. Like >3.4 cGPA and sGPA, with an MCAT over 510. Also I don’t have any research :(
I think average MCAT across all DO schools is about 504-505. Yours is higher.

You have military background. That is a plus.

***The Official 2017-2018 Osteopathic Underdawgs***

No, I dont think any average that high of an MCAT. Most are between 500 and 508. Your GPAs are lower than average, but your military background and higher MCAT balance that out. You'd for sure get into podiatry school with scholarships, and would get into some DO schools too. I think the DO cycle opened up already and pod isnt for a couple of months so just decide which path you want to pursue!

@Biglou09

Like the above posters said.

Don't let some advisor beat you down before you've even taken your chances to apply.

Think about it, what do you have to lose with your current stats applying DO?

Even if you didn't get into DO, you'd still have podiatry available afterwards.

I had lower stats than you, both GPA and MCAT, and still got in- without the military/ EMT background.
Not proud of it, but the point is to reassure that your grades are competitive.

Hello! I'm new to SDN.

You’ll get into podiatry school no doubt. Well done on the MCAT! The longer I’m in pod school the more excited/greatful I am to be here so super cool you’ve made this decision, you’ve chosen a great field of medicine.

3.38 cGPA
3.05 sGPA
494 Mcat (balanced score)
Lots of research, presentations (no pubs)
>100 hours shadowing an MD
Community service in local clinic
I plan on shadowing a Podiatrist soon

Give me some guidance please? do I have a chance? Or should I retake MCAT?

3.38 cGPA
3.05 sGPA

Get those Pod hours in and start the app, you're fine.

3.38 cGPA
3.05 sGPA

Shadow and you will be fine with these stats.

How many hours of shadowing do you guys recommend? Should I do >100?

I think like 20-30 is enough with some of those being OR time. Or as much as you need so you feel you have a pretty good understanding of what the profession is and does on the day to day.

I think like 20-30 is enough with some of those being OR time. Or as much as you need so you feel you have a pretty good understanding of what the profession is and does on the day to day.

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate your thoughtful answers and they really help guide me and not go into this process blind. One other question: do you think I should apply to all 9 just to be safe? I kind of feel like my stats aren't competitive enough for AZPOD... What do you think?

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate your thoughtful answers and they really help guide me and not go into this process blind. One other question: do you think I should apply to all 9 just to be safe? I kind of feel like my stats aren't competitive enough for AZPOD... What do you think?
Not all nine if youre applying to start in 2019. If you apply all 9, you will probably get interviews to all 9 and would spend a ton of traveling for interviews or you'd end up just picking a few to interview at. My advice, take it for what its worth, apply to your top 2 schools, and then 2-3 back ups that youre sure you would get into

What smurfeyD said pretty much. If you are applying right away when cycle starts, no need to waste time and money to apply to all 9. Apply to 1-3 you would definitely go to. If you get in and like one of the schools, no need to apply to the rest. If you dont get in, well, apply to more schools. Once your app is completed and verified, applying to another school is simply selecting a school of your choice and click submit.

I'm wondering about the application cycle- I plan to apply this next cycle in August. Can I create an AACPMAS account today, fill everything in, and then just press "Submit" on the first Wednesday of August?

Also, how about transcripts? Can I get my schools to send them in right now, before I submit the August app, or do I need to submit the app first, then have my schools send in transcripts?

Will be graduating May 2018 and plan to apply next cycle (still have to take Organic Chemistry 2 and for personal reasons). If i apply early next cycle do I have a Chance?
GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.61
MCAT: 486
200+ hours of volunteer work for physically disabled children (horseback therapy)
Strong LOR from my professors
-Still have to get Podiatry Shadowing and a LOR

I want to go to Barry or Scholl preferably. Do I have a good chance at those schools even if I don't retake the MCAT?

I know I posted on this before but I am SO WORRIED about my MCAT score. I have a retake tomorrow but I just have a mental block when taking it (the self-sabotaging mindset: “not smart enough”) and just being so nervous it’s hard to focus. Would my MCAT now be passable?
PS: 119
BS: 120
PS:122
CARS:125

I know I posted on this before but I am SO WORRIED about my MCAT score. I have a retake tomorrow but I just have a mental block when taking it (the self-sabotaging mindset: “not smart enough”) and just being so nervous it’s hard to focus. Would my MCAT now be passable?
PS: 119
BS: 120
PS:122
CARS:125

How did you study for it this time and what were your practice exam scores?