This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should have no problems getting in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Checking in again for a friend of mine:

2.8 sGPA
3.2 cGPA
Physiology major, minor in a foreign language -- still have 1 year remaining (expected graduation in Spring 2020)
Will be taking the MCAT in May, just took AAMC FL1 and scored 504, so I expect at least that if not higher come May

Med school was the first option, but considering their GPA they are looking at other clinical options that are more accepting of a lower GPA and podiatry fits the bill. They have a family member who is a Podiatrist who speaks warmly of the profession.

I advised them to do the following, but I'm wondering if I have the wrong idea:
Work hard senior year to improve GPA
Apply low tier MD, DO summer of 2020 for matriculation in Fall 2021
Depending on how that cycle goes, apply Podiatry in Fall 2020 for matriculation in Fall 2021

I've been doing reading and I know there's a stigma against students who are using Podiatry as a backup, but I think my friend sees it more as an alternative that is able to look past their struggles in his undergrad (OChem and Genetics grade keeping them down -- plans to retake Genetics in Fall 2019). Just based off what I know of the person, succeeding in med school/podiatry school is possible -- I think their low GPA has more to do with inability to identify successful studying strategies rather than lack of inherent ability. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Great Advice above from Weirdy and De Ribas.

Another option for your friend can be an SMP, granted they do very well on the MCAT (505+). Doing well in an SMP with a high MCAT score may open the door for MD/DO schools, esp those programs with a linkage to their medical school.

Their chances at a pod program are fine if they score 500+ on the mcat, but the bigger issue, as stated above, will be staying in the program. So once the MCAT is done, ask your friend to figure w/e issue they got either with studying or time management and fix them before enrolling into anything (including an SMP).

Hello, I desperately need some feedback. My Mcat score is not very good and I just want to know my chances. I really want to attend Rosalind Franklin or Midwestern University pod school. Will be applying the early August 2019. Also, English is my second language (moved to the USA 5 years ago).

My science GPA is 3.5 and cum GPA is 3.6. MCAT 495.
-Have more than 2 years of research experience (1 publication)
-summer research internship (senior year of undergrad)
-Currently working as Medical assistant (1 year)
- volunteering (300 hours)
-community work (70 hours)
-shadowing (podiatrist) - 45 hours.

You're fine. Apply broadly. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as on paper, 100% chance. As long as you're not super weird during the interview you'll get accepted with scholarships. You're MCAT is actually pretty good.

As far as on paper, 100% chance. As long as you're not super weird during the interview you'll get accepted with scholarships. You're MCAT is actually pretty good.
32nd percentile...
Anyways, MCAT is fine for DPM. Pod schools take pretty low scores.

I just got accepted to Rosalind Franklin myself and I will begin this fall. Your scores make you a very good candidate for their program so I dont think you will have an issue getting an interview. As FutureDPM123 said just nail your interview. There are a lot of good links on this site to help you prepare for that. They are what I reviewed before my interview.

I just got accepted to Rosalind Franklin myself and I will begin this fall. Your scores make you a very good candidate for their program so I dont think you will have an issue getting an interview. As FutureDPM123 said just nail your interview. There are a lot of good links on this site to help you prepare for that. They are what I reviewed before my interview.

Hello, I really need some feedback. My Mcat is not very good and I just want to know my chances. I really want to attend Rosalind Franklin or Midwestern University pod school. Will be applying the early August 2019. Also, English is my second language (moved to the USA 5 years ago).

My science GPA is 3.5 and cum GPA is 3.6. MCAT 495.
-Have more than 2 years of research experience (1 publication)
-Currently working as Medical assistant (1 year)
- volunteering (300 hours)
-community work (70 hours)
-shadowing (podiatrist) - 45 hours.

This is funny. THOSE ARE EXACTLY MY STATS and experiences (similar numbers) when I got interviews for all of the podiatry schools in the US.

Don't stress about your MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much.
I love Pod field because they get to do surgery and clinic at the same time (you are not limited to clinic-like family practice or surgery only), they have this healthy balance.
To be honest I started this thread because I think that after 4 years of undergrad I did pretty bad on MCAT (feeling of being a loser). With that in mind, I am terrified that even Pod schools will not accept me and THEN my only (and LAST) choice would be the Carribean.
Thank you for uplifting me.
P.S. I think i got PTSD after mcat lol

Thank you very much.
I love Pod field because they get to do surgery and clinic at the same time (you are not limited to clinic-like family practice or surgery only), they have this healthy balance.
To be honest I started this thread because I think that after 4 years of undergrad I did pretty bad on MCAT (feeling of being a loser). With that in mind, I am terrified that even Pod schools will not accept me and THEN my only (and LAST) choice would be the Carribean.

Definitely don't need to do Caribbean. I'd first apply to your top 4 choices, wait 2-3 weeks for interviews, then apply to additional schools as needed.

With your stats, assuming you can function like a normal person during interviews, you will be able to get in anywhere you want next cycle.

If you want in this cycle, things look pretty tight. I think most smaller class sizes have filled their seats.

With your stats, assuming you can function like a normal person during interviews, you will be able to get in anywhere you want next cycle.

If you want in this cycle, things look pretty tight. I think most smaller class sizes have filled their seats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much.
MCAT re-take and you could go DO route and become a physician.
Just food for thought...

That being said, agreed with previous post - you are a shoe in for any of DPM schools in this country.

Carribean is always a no no no no nooo.

OP realistically needs a 502+ at this point for DO school. Not the easiest thing to do when English is a second language and CARS is a thing.

MCAT re-take and you could go DO route and become a physician.
Just food for thought...

That being said, agreed with previous post - you are a shoe in for any of DPM schools in this country.

Carribean is always a no no no no nooo.

Hey everyone,

I'm starting to get a little concerned. I'm planning on taking my MCAT in May and apply as soon as I can for this cycle (worst outcome, I don't get accepted I'll apply in August). I'm just starting to get nervous because my GPA will drop slightly after this semester to a 3.15 oGPA/ 2.8 sGPA (I had a few family deaths during undergrad). I just didn't know what my chances would be getting in this late in the cycle or even in the start of next cycle.

100+ volunteer hours
6 years working as a licensed pharmacy tech
50 hours podiatry shadowing
I have leadership roles in a club I founded with 500+ members

I choose podiatry because my family has dealt with foot and ankle issues, my dad as a diabetic, my brother who was born with an ankle deformity and required surgery and myself with foot and ankle issues due to sport injuries. I feel that podiatry is the best way I can help people as I can relate to the patients. Shadowing two different podiatrist, I noticed how much their patients appreciate what they do for them, unlike other medical professions I have been around. I'm really hoping this last semester doesn't effect my chances.

Hey everyone,

I'm starting to get a little concerned. I'm planning on taking my MCAT in May and apply as soon as I can for this cycle (worst outcome, I don't get accepted I'll apply in August). I'm just starting to get nervous because my GPA will drop slightly after this semester to a 3.15 oGPA/ 2.8 sGPA (I had a few family deaths during undergrad). I just didn't know what my chances would be getting in this late in the cycle or even in the start of next cycle.

MCAT will determine if you get in. Get 500+.
What happened to your January test date?

May is late. Bigger programs might have spots open if you are not picky with where you end up.

MCAT will determine if you get in. Get 500+.
What happened to your January test date?

May is late. Bigger programs might have spots open if you are not picky with where you end up.

I spoke with my advisor at the start of the semester and they told me it would be best if I take the MCAT in May. I guess to give me more time to study. hasn't been that way since my class schedule was really busy. I'm really hoping for a great MCAT score. This semester has made me lose some confidence. I'm not really picky where I end up. I'd like to go to Barry since I live in Florida. I would stay close to my family.

Midwestern and DMU are gonna be full by then. Make sure to apply to large schools like Kent and Temple. And if you don't get in this cycle, you'll do much better next cycle since you'd be applying very early.
Hey everyone,

100+ volunteer hours
6 years working as a licensed pharmacy tech
50 hours podiatry shadowing
I have leadership roles in a club I founded with 500+ members

I choose podiatry because my family has dealt with foot and ankle issues, my dad as a diabetic, my brother who was born with an ankle deformity and required surgery and myself with foot and ankle issues due to sport injuries. I feel that podiatry is the best way I can help people as I can relate to the patients. Shadowing two different podiatrist, I noticed how much their patients appreciate what they do for them, unlike other medical professions I have been around. I'm really hoping this last semester doesn't effect my chances.

Midwestern and DMU are gonna be full by then. Make sure to apply to large schools like Kent and Temple. And if you don't get in this cycle, you'll do much better next cycle since you'd be applying very early.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard most of the smaller schools will definitely be full this late in the cycle and to mainly apply to the larger schools like you stated. I wanted to apply starting August, but the podiatrist I shadowed told me to go ahead and apply this cycle anyways. I just feel as if shot myself in the foot this semester with my classes. I'm really hoping it wont effect me as much as I think it will.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard most of the smaller schools will definitely be full this late in the cycle and to mainly apply to the larger schools like you stated. I wanted to apply starting August, but the podiatrist I shadowed told me to go ahead and apply this cycle anyways. I just feel as if shot myself in the foot this semester with my classes. I'm really hoping it wont effect me as much as I think it will.
What classes did you do bad in?

What classes did you do bad in?

At the moment I have a C in Cell Metabolism (I still have a chance to get a B if I get at least an 80 on the final. I'm borderline C/B. This professor final is hard but I still think I can pull it off). I did well on the multiple choice parts. The free response pathway on the last exam killed me. Dropped my exam grade from a high B to a C..... which puts me in this situation.
I got a B- in General Physiology (I hate the minus system)
Other two classes I will end up with a B and A-

Last edited:
At the moment I have a C in Cell Metabolism (I still have a chance to get a B if I get at least an 80 on the final. I'm borderline C/B. This professor final is hard but I still think I can pull it off).
I got a B- in General Physiology (I hate the minus system)
Other two classes I will end up with a B and A-
That's not bad. Don't worry about it too much. Make sure to get a decent score on the Mcat to show admissions you can handle it.

That's not bad. Don't worry about it too much. Make sure to get a decent score on the Mcat to show admissions you can handle it.

Yeah, I'm hoping for a great score. Thanks for your help. Made me feel a little better about my situation. Just have to work for it now.

Hello everyone,

I have a 2.96 cgpa and a 2.71 sgpa with no real trend. I took my MCAT and scored 503. I am a senior standing and will take another year of courses because I am missing three courses. I am also a Bio major with a Chem minor. I was wondering what my chances are for this 2019 fall application cycle?

Quick Summary of ECs:
I am president and founder for a nonprofit organization chapter which is not affiliated with my school and was solely developed by me. This organization provides free preventative healthcare to a people of underprivileged areas. I ran my first event last year, where we provided over $90,000 worth of care with the support of 10 different doctors and 6 nurses with 25 volunteers. The turnout for the event was approximately 50 people of Gary, IN. We will expect this years turnout around 100 people. I have also done about 2 years of research with no publications in mycology. Volunteered at a hospital for over 750+ hours. I have been an ER scribe and have completed over 750+ hours here. I also have volunteered about 100+ hours at this one homeless shelter and approximately 250+ hours at another. I also volunteer for another organization that is revolved around my culture called Punjabi Cultural Society. I have volunteered for this organization for more than 1000+ hours. I also MC at multiple events as well coordinate 10-15 year olds in cultural dances. I have also been active at my school and been treasurer for Asian American Association which is revolved around the asian community. I also have been a treasurer for Habitat for Humanity, in which we build houses for people who cant really afford it. I have shadowed a Neurosurgeon, Oncologist, and Family medicine. I am going to shadow a podiatric surgeon this next month and should be able to attain approximately 100 hours at least before August. I know my GPA is my biggest drawback, but I'm hoping that maybe my ECs will overcome it and maybe my MCAT.

Also would it be a better idea to take my fall semester classes and attain As to get my cgpa to a 3.02 and science to a 2.8ish and then apply in January? Or better to apply early with the stats I have in August?

Thank you so much for everyone replying in advance!

Hello everyone,

I have a 2.96 cgpa and a 2.71 sgpa with no real trend. I took my MCAT and scored 503. I am a senior standing and will take another year of courses because I am missing three courses. I am also a Bio major with a Chem minor. I was wondering what my chances are for this 2019 fall application cycle?

Quick Summary of ECs:
I am president and founder for a nonprofit organization chapter which is not affiliated with my school and was solely developed by me. This organization provides free preventative healthcare to a people of underprivileged areas. I ran my first event last year, where we provided over $90,000 worth of care with the support of 10 different doctors and 6 nurses with 25 volunteers. The turnout for the event was approximately 50 people of Gary, IN. We will expect this years turnout around 100 people. I have also done about 2 years of research with no publications in mycology. Volunteered at a hospital for over 750+ hours. I have been an ER scribe and have completed over 750+ hours here. I also have volunteered about 100+ hours at this one homeless shelter and approximately 250+ hours at another. I also volunteer for another organization that is revolved around my culture called Punjabi Cultural Society. I have volunteered for this organization for more than 1000+ hours. I also MC at multiple events as well coordinate 10-15 year olds in cultural dances. I have also been active at my school and been treasurer for Asian American Association which is revolved around the asian community. I also have been a treasurer for Habitat for Humanity, in which we build houses for people who cant really afford it. I have shadowed a Neurosurgeon, Oncologist, and Family medicine. I am going to shadow a podiatric surgeon this next month and should be able to attain approximately 100 hours at least before August. I know my GPA is my biggest drawback, but I'm hoping that maybe my ECs will overcome it and maybe my MCAT.

Also would it be a better idea to take my fall semester classes and attain As to get my cgpa to a 3.02 and science to a 2.8ish and then apply in January? Or better to apply early with the stats I have in August?

I think you could get in right now, my stats were about the same. BUT if you are confident that you will get As in these classes, you might stand better with certain schools and Scholarship opportunities. Your MCAT is your greatest asset right now, and the minor boost to your GPA could help

I think you could get in right now, my stats were about the same. BUT if you are confident that you will get As in these classes, you might stand better with certain schools and Scholarship opportunities. Your MCAT is your greatest asset right now, and the minor boost to your GPA could help
Do you think I should wait until December and and get As and bump my GPA and apply or just apply in August with what I have?

Do you think I should wait until December and and get As and bump my GPA and apply or just apply in August with what I have?

Given your MCAT and experiences, apply in August. Applying earlier is much more important than the slight bump in your GPA.

Given your MCAT and experiences, apply in August. Applying earlier is much more important than the slight bump in your GPA.

Edit I didnt realize that this one course of mine isn't science so that puts my science gpa at 2.65. That should still be fine to apply with in August right?

Edit I didnt realize that this one course of mine isn't science so that puts my science gpa at 2.65. That should still be fine to apply with in August right?

MCAT is great but why the low GPA? Was it a hard undergrad?

A good school will want to make sure you can pass classes as well as board exams.

What schools are you planning to apply? Chak dey phatte :D

MCAT is great but why the low GPA? Was it a hard undergrad?

A good school will want to make sure you can pass classes as well as board exams.
My mom got cancer and i ended up coping in unhealthy ways and fell into bad habits and did stuff that definitely geared me away from my goals.

I am confident you will get in if you apply August. Midwestern is off the table. Temple, Des Moines, and Western are a far reach. New York and Kent are a little reach. Barry, Samuel Merrit, and Scholl should be no problem.

I am confident you will get in if you apply August. Midwestern is off the table. Temple, Des Moines, and Western are a far reach. New York and Kent are a little reach. Barry, Samuel Merrit, and Scholl should be no problem.

Matriculating average sGPA for Samuel Merritt was 3.31
Matriculating average sGPA for Scholl was 3.12

Not exactly a "no problem" to get into.

With 2.6 GPA I would really worry about passing through med school curriculum. If one is struggling with undergrad curriculum to get at least C+, it would be hard to even get C's in med school. I would consider doing at least a semester or two and getting A's and B's before applying or going to med school. Even if you get in with your current situation, you are at high risk of struggling or failing out.

For the most part this semester we have been having 2 exams per week with about 500 slides per exam, ~ 1000 slides every week. This probably equals to a semester worth of material in undergrad.

Will bumping spga to 2.73 and cgpa to 3.0 with taking a science course this summer make much of a difference?

Will bumping spga to 2.73 and cgpa to 3.0 with taking a science course this summer make much of a difference?
It will. You might get in even with 2.7, but like I said above I would try to get a semester of As and Bs so you may know for yourself that you can handle difficult courses and develop necessarily strategies.

It will. You might get in even with 2.7, but like I said above I would try to get a semester of As and Bs so you may know for yourself that you can handle difficult courses and develop necessarily strategies.
Thank you!

Overall GPA: 2.87
Science GPA : 2.62
Mcat: 479

Applying to all 9 schools

• Wow

I dont think I ever said that to anyone before, but I really think you should not apply. Even if you get in, which I highly doubt, you are at high risk of failing. How do you get 479 on MCAT? I really think you should improve your stats or look into plan B. I am sorry to be like that, but I just don't think stats like that should be accepted for med schools.

That's not to say that you won't be able to get it or pass med school. I strongly encourage you to improve both GPA and retake MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
I do not think you will be successful this cycle. Your stats are below the average of matriculants at virtually all schools. But, the good thing is that there is room for improvement.

First, understand why you made mistakes in undergrad. Afterwards, entertain the idea of taking a gap year and do a DIY post bacc of upper level science courses. You will also be in a better position if you retake your MCAT and score much higher.

Most importantly, be sure that this podiatry is something that you truly want. Doing all of this will show adcoms that the new you is not at all like the old you and that you can be successful in a podiatry program. I hope this helps, good luck!

I don't thnk you'll get in anywhere.
your best chance is Kent but I doubt it. MCAT too low for temple. That MCAT is like low low I'm sure you could do better with some prep! Don't give up tho. If you can get above a 500 it will help balance your gpa and if applied early I think you could get in somewhere.

Hello everyone,

Quick Summary of ECs:

Temple loves a high MCAT. High as in podiatry high as in above 500. I think if you apply early you'd have a descent chance.

Matriculating average sGPA for Samuel Merritt was 3.31
Matriculating average sGPA for Scholl was 3.12

Not exactly a "no problem" to get into.
I was looking at the lower range rather than averages. Shows which schools are more forgiving of a low GPA.

Very low chance. You need to retake your MCAT. Get at least a 485 and you'll have some chance next cycle.

Last edited:

You will not get in.
If you do (and that school would be doing you a disservice), you will end up before the academic committee in your first semester.

Get real or stop trolling.

Reactions: 6 users