Official Rank List Help Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In no particular order - some geographical bias in warm weather - looking to keep fellowship options open for endo, nephrology or P/CCM:

U of Illinois - Chicago
U of Louisville
U of Kentucky
U of Iowa
U of Missouri
U of Arizona
U of Florida
U of SF - Tampa
U of NM - Albuquerque
Kaiser SF
Kaiser LA
Kaiser Oakland
Portland Providence
Portland St. Vincent
University of Arkansas

Thanks!

How many times have we done this? I'm not trying to be a dick, but really?

Members don't see this ad.

hey i know its crunch time...id like to get an opinion on St. Luke's Roosevelt NYC vs SUNY Downstate in regards to a future in cardiology...thanks

I submitted my list a few weeks ago. Now I am second-guessing some of my choices.

I want a solid education (I don't mind working for it), but I think I would do better in an environment that is on the friendlier end of the spectrum rather than the more competitive end.

There are some programs that I really like, but I am not sure how well I will function in the wider hospital environment (whether due to less nursing support, only partial EMR in place, reputation for being "hierarchical" and "resistant to change" etc.).

I would prefer to live outside of NYC or Boston, but I like enough about the NYC and Boston programs to give them serious consideration. I think that I have a good sense of the programs, but the interview day muddled my impressions of some of the places (for better or worse). How much weight do I give the very limited impressions of interview days? What are your thoughts? I am not sure whether I will specialize or not, but I am interested in palliative medicine and/or geriatrics. I want to keep my options open.

In no particular order:
Dartmouth (PC & Cat IM)
Jefferson
Penn
BU (PC & Cat)
Montefiore (PC & SM)
NYU (PC & Cat)
UMass
Mt Sinai Cat vs Community Medicine Program (brand new program)
UVM
Brown (PC & Cat)
Yale PC

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my list a few weeks ago. Now I am second-guessing some of my choices.

I want a solid education (I don't mind working for it), but I think I would do better in an environment that is on the friendlier end of the spectrum rather than the more competitive end.

There are some programs that I really like, but I am not sure how well I will function in the wider hospital environment (whether due to less nursing support, only partial EMR in place, reputation for being "hierarchical" and "resistant to change" etc.).

I would prefer to live outside of NYC or Boston, but I like enough about the NYC and Boston programs to give them serious consideration. I think that I have a good sense of the programs, but the interview day muddled my impressions of some of the places (for better or worse). How much weight do I give the very limited impressions of interview days? What are your thoughts? I am not sure whether I will specialize or not, but I am interested in palliative medicine and/or geriatrics. I want to keep my options open.

In no particular order:
Dartmouth (PC & Cat IM)
Jefferson
Penn
BU (PC & Cat)
Montefiore (PC & SM)
NYU (PC & Cat)
UMass
UVM
Brown (PC & Cat)
Yale PC

Jefferson so high? You must have really got a good feeling about the program. Like we've already said you need to go with your gut. I like Dartmouth and I've got no huge issues with it being number one, but if you dont mind Philly, why Penn lower than Jeff? I mean Penn is the ****ing tits for IM - I know its busy, has had a reputation in the past for being brutal/"malignant", but you can really get awesome training there AND write your own career meal ticket. I also think Yale is way too low on that list, but New Haven is a **** hole. Otherwise, it's a nice list and should find you some really good training.

Interested in GI but more importantly, overall clinical experiences. Any thoughts on my list?

Pitt
Baylor
UNC
Wisconsin
Utah
Brown
Dartmouth
Jefferson
Loyola
UIC

hey i know its crunch time...id like to get an opinion on St. Luke's Roosevelt NYC vs SUNY Downstate in regards to a future in cardiology...thanks

SUNY Downstate > SLR

its an uni prog that takes its own grads into cardiology. From SLR you will match in geisinger and montefiore for cardio but staying in SUNY downstate which is more of an academic prog being an university is always desired for future prospects.

In no particular order - some geographical bias in warm weather - looking to keep fellowship options open for endo, nephrology or P/CCM:

U of Illinois - Chicago
U of Louisville
U of Kentucky
U of Iowa
U of Missouri
U of Arizona
U of Florida
U of SF - Tampa
U of NM - Albuquerque
Kaiser SF
Kaiser LA
Kaiser Oakland
Portland Providence
Portland St. Vincent
University of Arkansas

Thanks!

How many times have we done this? I'm not trying to be a dick, but really?

Apparently 5000 times is not enough. I think she must not be well, because she asks the same questions over and over and over. Is everything ok sweetie??

In no particular order:
Dartmouth (PC & Cat IM)
Jefferson
Penn
BU (PC & Cat)
Montefiore (PC & SM)
NYU (PC & Cat)
UMass
UVM
Brown (PC & Cat)
Yale PC

Jefferson so high? You must have really got a good feeling about the program. Like we've already said you need to go with your gut. I like Dartmouth and I've got no huge issues with it being number one, but if you dont mind Philly, why Penn lower than Jeff? I mean Penn is the ****ing tits for IM - I know its busy, has had a reputation in the past for being brutal/"malignant", but you can really get awesome training there AND write your own career meal ticket. I also think Yale is way too low on that list, but New Haven is a **** hole. Otherwise, it's a nice list and should find you some really good training.

I believe the original list was in NO order...hence the confusion.

In no particular order:
Dartmouth (PC & Cat IM)
Jefferson
Penn
BU (PC & Cat)
Montefiore (PC & SM)
NYU (PC & Cat)
UMass
UVM
Brown (PC & Cat)
Yale PC

Given your stated preferences (outside NYC/Boston, EMR/ancillary, quality of program, clear reference for PC strength...), here goes:

Penn
Yale PC (stronger PC than the New York programs, access to Yale resources should your mind change for fellowship, excellent match list)
-----------------------------------
Mt. Sinai
NYU PC = Monte SM/PC (Monte SM is legendary...)
NYU Categorical
Mt. Sinai Community Med (very new track)
------------------------------------
BU (both programs) = Brown (both programs) (I think BU is a slightly better program but Brown is stronger PC/gen med and in your preferred location)
Dartmouth (both)
Montefiore Categorical
------------------------------------
Jefferson
U. Mass
UVM

Depending on how heavily you favor PC, I could see NYU PC and Monte SM/PC moving ahead of Sinai.

Sinai is a stellar, stellar medicine program but last year I didn't get the sense that they were strong in terms of building a community focused around general medicine - the PC track seemed more like a last-minute addition.

I'm doing a new iteration of a rank list.

Priorities:

1) Work within the Northeast, preferably within greater New York
2) Setting myself for a Northeastern fellowship in GI.
3) Willing to compromise on Geography, up to a point.

For example, as much as I would like to be in New York, you'd have a hard time convincing me to go to Robert Wood over UT-Southwestern, a solid academic program with recognition in the world of internal medicine (I'll ignore the fact that no lay person outside of the South has heard of it :D ). Dallas is a large city, and UTSW would make it easier for me to reach my 2nd goal of fellowship in the Northeast by sacrificing the first goal. By the same token, I'm not sure I could muster the courage to go to Cleveland for Case Western over being near New York and going to Robert Wood.

In geographic order:

(1) BU
(2) Brown
(3) Rochester - Strong Memorial
(4) Einstein-Montefiore
(5) NYU
(6) North Shore - LIJ
(7) UMDNJ - Robert Wood
(8) Maryland
(9) Miami - Jackson Memorial
(10) Case Western - University Hospitals
(11) UChicago
(12) UT-Southwestern

Thanks!

PS: Help for what is likely the middle chunk of the list would be even more greately appreciated:
-BU
-Brown
-North Shore - LIJ
-Maryland
-Miami

U. Chicago
UTSW
NYU
-------------------
BU (small gap between here and UMD/Case)
Maryland = Case Western (both are awesome)
Brown
Montefiore = Rochester = RWJ
Miami
-------------------
North Shore-LIJ

Hi all,

Still looking for opinions on these 3 programs. Questioning how they will fall in the list for me...

Pitt: felt like it had every opportunity under the sun, got along well with residents, great cost of living, but somewhat sinking feeling about Pittsburgh. Question is if it is worth living in Pburgh for what I perceived to be good things at this program.

vs.

Hopkins Bayview: unique, strong research with similar opportunities to Pitt, but much smaller program. Baltimore seems more liveable than Pburgh to me.

vs.

GWU: really enjoyed DC but somewhat fearful of COL, unique rotation on Captiol Hill with public health flavor which interests me. Problem is feel it's not as strong a program as Bayview or Pitt, so struggling with choosing location over academic reputation.

Any thoughts? Would appreciate it. Thanks! Bets of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Still looking for opinions on these 3 programs. Questioning how they will fall in the list for me...

Pitt: felt like it had every opportunity under the sun, got along well with residents, great cost of living, but somewhat sinking feeling about Pittsburgh. Question is if it is worth living in Pburgh for what I perceived to be good things at this program.

vs.

Hopkins Bayview: unique, strong research with similar opportunities to Pitt, but much smaller program. Baltimore seems more liveable than Pburgh to me.

vs.

GWU: really enjoyed DC but somewhat fearful of COL, unique rotation on Captiol Hill with public health flavor which interests me. Problem is feel it's not as strong a program as Bayview or Pitt, so struggling with choosing location over academic reputation.

Any thoughts? Would appreciate it. Thanks! Bets of luck to everyone.

Both Pitt and Bayview are great programs. I would rank either one #1 depending on where you think you will be happy.

Haha. No worries. Thanks to you and Gold & Black for the input.

I generally like Gold and Black's ranking, BUT I would personally definitely move Dartmouth below MSSM and above NYU

Penn
Yale PC
Mt. Sinai
Dartmouth (both)
NYU Categorical
BU (both programs) = Brown (both programs)
Montefiore Categorical
Jefferson
U. Mass
UVM

re-posting from a separate thread....
Hi, saw a thread on Tufts vs Brown. Wondering what people think about Tufts vs UMASS in general and also in terms of matching in GI?

Thanks and good luck

From what I saw and know, both programs have very good academic reputations, with Tufts being slightly better perceived if I had to guess. Location-wise I'd say Chinatown/downtown Boston beats Worcester (though Worcester doesn't seem as bad as some say and has a few advantages over Boston). As an institution, UMass seems to be in a big growth phase, which is promising, though I'm not sure how that would affect the residency experience - perhaps more research and fellowship opportunities in the future? One other thing to maybe consider is that UMass (as opposed to Tufts) is the only show in town, which may or may not affect the conditions and types of patients you see. On the other hand, Tufts does heart transplants which, correct me if I'm wrong, UMass does not. Don't know a lot about the differences with respect to GI though (sorry). Overall, I think they are both fine programs, and I have a feeling neither will hold you back from your goals. Good luck!

just wanted to throw my list out there and get some opinions last minute...

ucsd
ohsu
unc
pitt
colorado

Would love any input from gutonc, jdh, and anyone else...

I'd like to return to Chicago for residency due mostly to family issues (job, etc.) and was having a difficult time between ranking Loyola/UIC/Rush and Baylor Houston. I'm not sure what I want in terms of fellowships but possibly Hem/Onc vs Pulm/CC. Is Baylor a good enough program that I should highly consider ranking above these Chicago programs? If it was just between the Chicago programs, how would you rank them?

As much as I hate to promote anything having to do with Texas, I think Baylor is better than these other programs. That said, it's not so much better that it trumps the other issues you mention (UCSF, BWH, Hopkins, etc would, Baylor not so much).

To rank the programs by their strength alone (nothing else considered):

Baylor>UIC>>>Rush>Loyola

But base your decision on your comfort with the programs and what you mean by "family issues." If you mean "my spouse is the Dean of U Chicago's Law school and my oldest daughter will be valedictorian at her high school next year," that's a pretty good reason to stay in Chicago. If you mean "my spouse has a nice mid-level HR job at some company I can't remember the name of and my mom lives in Oak Park and just retired" well....

Baylor's not going to open many more doors than UIC will but is a somewhat better program all in all.

I generally like Gold and Black's ranking, BUT I would personally definitely move Dartmouth below MSSM and above NYU

Penn
Yale PC
Mt. Sinai
Dartmouth (both)
NYU Categorical
BU (both programs) = Brown (both programs)
Montefiore Categorical
Jefferson
U. Mass
UVM

Swap MSSM and Yale and Move UMass up above BU and you have the list I would make.

ucsd = ohsu = pitt = unc
colorado

You're going to have have to rank the top four based on locations and gut.

Honestly...get out a map, a blindfold (maybe a 6 pack or a bottle of wine) and 5 numbered darts and go nuts.

And I was/am at one of those programs and have friends at 3 of the other 4 who all like(d) their time there.

howdy partners,
trying to put together programs 4-9. interested in heme/onc vs cards, academic.
4. UChicago - liked very much; seem the be moving a very positive direction; maybe not in the same tier as washu??
5. WashU - great PD, happy residents, great fellowship, but mid-west blandness
6. Vandy - great PD, hard-working and tight-knit resident group, nice town
7. NW - great PD and location; as for UChic, is this in a lower tier than UMich when it comes to fellowship??
8. UMich - well-oiled program but mid-west blandness
9. Yale - solid program; some unjustified new england stuffiness; new haven...
i liked all the programs but some more than others. are the differences re: training, fellowship opportunities btw a program like UChicago and WashU or vandy and UM or NW and yale significant enough to rank accordingly? or all these similar enough in those respects to rank according to "the gut" alone?
thanks in advance!

howdy partners,
trying to put together programs 4-9. interested in heme/onc vs cards, academic.
4. UChicago - liked very much; seem the be moving a very positive direction; maybe not in the same tier as washu??
5. WashU - great PD, happy residents, great fellowship, but mid-west blandness
6. Vandy - great PD, hard-working and tight-knit resident group, nice town
7. NW - great PD and location; as for UChic, is this in a lower tier than UMich when it comes to fellowship??
8. UMich - well-oiled program but mid-west blandness
9. Yale - solid program; some unjustified new england stuffiness; new haven...
i liked all the programs but some more than others. are the differences re: training, fellowship opportunities btw a program like UChicago and WashU or vandy and UM or NW and yale significant enough to rank accordingly? or all these similar enough in those respects to rank according to "the gut" alone?
thanks in advance!

Most people aren't going to feel too sorry for you.

Yeah. Rank on gut. Work at good residency. Get good fellowship. Live good life. QED

You're set here hoss.

I'm an average candidate from a middle of the road US med school with average Step 1 and 2 scores. I'd appreciate some help ranking the following programs. My selection criteria in order of preference are nice location >>> quality of training > fellowship opportunities > resident lifestyle > possibility of being hired in academics in the future

(alphabetical order)
Arizona
Cincinnati
Indiana
Scripps Mercy
SLU
Wake Forest
Wisconsin
USF

FWIW, I think your ranking criteria are insane. Location >>>> Good Training and Fellowship opportunities? I chose from a variety of largely equivalent programs based on location and I think it's an important factor. But this isn't your vacation we're talking about, it's your career. Residency is only 3 years.

By tiers:

Wisconsin
----------
Indy
SLU
Wake
AZ
----------
Cincy
Scripps
USF

FWIW, I think your ranking criteria are insane. Location >>>> Good Training and Fellowship opportunities? I chose from a variety of largely equivalent programs based on location and I think it's an important factor. But this isn't your vacation we're talking about, it's your career. Residency is only 3 years.

By tiers:

Wisconsin
----------
Indy
SLU
Wake
AZ
----------
Cincy
Scripps
USF

IS SLU > U of Arizona? I heard that their cardio dept is falling apart..Correct me if I have the wrong info

he's got them lumped in "tiers" groups, per his system they're in they same ballpark

Beat me to it.

Also, as you (127hours) will soon find out, it doesn't take much for an academic department to "fall apart" in the majority of institutions. All you need is one or 2 senior people, or the chair to leave (and take their lab and 2-5 faculty members with them) and a previously strong department falls apart. In the 5 years I've been where I am, I've seen it happen to several divisions within the IM department. On the flip side, all it takes to reconstitute the department is for them to hire another senior person or two, who will bring their lab and fellows/junior faculty with them and you're back in business. I have no idea what's up with Cards at SLU (nor do I care) but if the administration has half a brain, it will be fixed with minimal drama in a relatively short (1-2 years is short by academic standards) time.

don't know man

I'd rather live in Tucson than St. Louis that *IS* foh show

I would have said the same thing if I hadn't interviewed in both places this year. However, I hadn't realized just how small Tucson is. It's really just the university and not much else. Many of the residents gave us the standard line that I heard at a lot of smaller places, which is "there's not that much to do here, but [x city] is only two hours away," x in this case being Phoenix. Frankly, I really don't want to be making a four hour round trip to catch a ballgame, go to a museum, check out the nightlife, etc. You could do all of those things very easily in St. Louis, but the biggest downside is that it's in the Midwest. I agree with gutonc and thought the programs themselves were fairly similar, although if I had to choose, I'd probably give a slight edge to Arizona.

You've stated it as fact in other threads, why do you keep asking people who don't care in this thread?

Seriously, I did not see your post before. I think what you have mentioned is what has happened with SLU. But I hope that should not be a major problem, because for an IMG SLU is a good choice.

I would have said the same thing if I hadn't interviewed in both places this year. However, I hadn't realized just how small Tucson is. It's really just the university and not much else. Many of the residents gave us the standard line that I heard at a lot of smaller places, which is "there's not that much to do here, but [x city] is only two hours away," x in this case being Phoenix. Frankly, I really don't want to be making a four hour round trip to catch a ballgame, go to a museum, check out the nightlife, etc. You could do all of those things very easily in St. Louis, but the biggest downside is that it's in the Midwest. I agree with gutonc and thought the programs themselves were fairly similar, although if I had to choose, I'd probably give a slight edge to Arizona.

I've got no problem with the midwest. St. Louis is a **** hole.

And I'm not an "art museum", "ballgame", or "nightlife" kind of a guy. I'm a trail running, hike into the desert, and camp out kind under a sky full so full of stars you can see into enternity of a guy.

We've all got our priorities :D

I've got no problem with the midwest. St. Louis is a **** hole.

And I'm not an "art museum", "ballgame", or "nightlife" kind of a guy. I'm a trail running, hike into the desert, and camp out kind under a sky full so full of stars you can see into enternity of a guy.

We've all got our priorities :D

man! is st louis that bad..i found it to be a metropolitan city with that huge arch and nice forest park! right now on my list, SLU is at the level of UConn and KU..I should rank uconn higher than SLU..i loved farmington with boston and new york couple of hours away..

I wish we could ever rank based on our hobbies or likings, just we don't have enough choices. God has been kind to me for providing some handful of university programs..

What do you think My number one should be
Downstate,
stony brook,
UMDnj
temple
u miami
westchester med
Beth Israel NY Learn and Earn

Alright so I have the rest of my list down.

Background: Interested in Cardio fellowship and I have a MBA background (would like perhaps the possibility to develop that).

UTSW (Dallas) vs Pittsburgh.

Opinions are more than welcomed, thanks so much

I am trying to decide how to rank my thirds position right now I would like to go into GI.

Its between Kaiser LA, USC, and Harbor

Thanks for your help

Still thinking in my top #1- Uni of Mia VS Ohio State? Please any advice!! Thank you so much!!!

I am trying to decide how to rank my thirds position right now I would like to go into GI.

Its between Kaiser LA, USC, and Harbor

Thanks for your help

Harbor>>Kaiser LA> USC

The thing about kaiser LA is that they have in house fellowships and you also get access to GI at UCLA so you can get at least one letter from UCLA.

although I posted separately but no one seems to reply..

I have a last minute impulse about changing my no. 4..I am confused between SLU and Uni of Oklahoma, OKC

Please help..!

Interested in Hem/onc fellowship

ROL

U Penn
Columbia
U of Minn
Dartmouth
Brown
VCU
Penstate Hershey
Tufts

Did I make any mistakes??

Any thoughts about Dartmouth vs VCU.....