Official Rank List Help Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaKiaveli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on some of the other threads that have been recently posted, I thought I'd just start this thread now, and offer my list up for any willing to help me.

Im headed to either ID or general medicine/hospitalist. Curious how people would rank the following. Appreciate your input.

Vanderbilt
UMichigan
UWashington
Northwestern
UChicago
Cornell
Columbia
MGH primary/categorical
Colorado
Oregon
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Based on some of the other threads that have been recently posted, I thought I'd just start this thread now, and offer my list up for any willing to help me.

Im headed to either ID or general medicine/hospitalist. Curious how people would rank the following. Appreciate your input.

Vanderbilt
UMichigan
UWashington
Northwestern
UChicago
Cornell
Columbia
MGH primary/categorical
Colorado
Oregon
Yale

Nice list. You could quite honestly rank based entirely on geographical preference and you'd be golden. Those are all good programs, each with different upsides and downsides but all with good/great training. I interviewed at 5 of those places (didn't apply to 3 of them, turned down one of them and was rejected by 2 of them) and they made up 5 of my top 7 programs.

As has been pointed out before, ID is not that competitive so any of those places will be fine in terms of scoring a fellowship.

Nice list. You could quite honestly rank based entirely on geographical preference and you'd be golden. Those are all good programs, each with different upsides and downsides but all with good/great training. I interviewed at 5 of those places (didn't apply to 3 of them, turned down one of them and was rejected by 2 of them) and they made up 5 of my top 7 programs.

As has been pointed out before, ID is not that competitive so any of those places will be fine in terms of scoring a fellowship.

Assuming ID fellowship:

1. MGH Categorical
2. Columbia
3. Michigan (if you don't mind Ann Arbor) or Chicago (if you want a big city)
4. UWashington
5. Northwestern or Cornell
6. Vandy
7-? The rest

Members don't see this ad :)
My list of schools is very similar to yours. How would you rank these? Most important factor for me is obtaining a heme/onc fellowship and avoiding malignant programs.
Northwestern
Colorado
Michigan
Vanderbilt
UC Davis
UTSW
UCLA Harbor
UC Irvine

My list of schools is very similar to yours. How would you rank these? Most important factor for me is obtaining a heme/onc fellowship and avoiding malignant programs.
Northwestern
Colorado
Michigan
Vanderbilt
UC Davis
UTSW
UCLA Harbor
UC Irvine

For H/O:
Michigan=CU=NW=Vandy > UTSW > The UCs (although, these are all programs which will put you in fair to excellent stead for a H/O fellowship assuming you excel there).

For malignancy (lack thereof actually):
NW >>>>>>>>Davis=Irvine>Harbor=CU=Michigan=Vandy>>>>>>>>UTSW

For H/O:
Michigan=CU=NW=Vandy > UTSW > The UCs (although, these are all programs which will put you in fair to excellent stead for a H/O fellowship assuming you excel there).

For malignancy (lack thereof actually):
NW >>>>>>>>Davis=Irvine>Harbor=CU=Michigan=Vandy>>>>>>>>UTSW

So UTSW is the most malignant or NW?

Please help me rank these ..

Cleveland Clinic Ohio
Thomas Jefferson Univ Philly
UAB
Iowa University
Boston University
Temple Univ

I am an Foreign grad and interested in Cardiology..
Also a few of the above offer prematches..which if i reject i wont b ranked high enough by them..so help me here

Please help me rank these ..

Cleveland Clinic Ohio
Thomas Jefferson Univ Philly
UAB
Iowa University
Boston University
Temple Univ

I am an Foreign grad and interested in Cardiology..
Also a few of the above offer prematches..which if i reject i wont b ranked high enough by them..so help me here

Iowa=UAB>The rest which are all pretty much equal (and not that far below the others). CCF is notorious for not keeping any of their grads for cards though so take that for what it's worth.

If you turn down a pre-match from any of those places, you get what you deserve.

You're not really asking that for realz are you?

NW is essentially the definition of cush.

Google "malignant IM residency" and I'd be shocked if 80% of the links on the first page didn't mention UTSW

Yeh, dawg, im 4 realz.:rolleyes:

It would be really nice if you could elaborate. Did you go to school there? Or you just read all threads on SDN?

How would you guys rate these, given that I'm looking for a Pulm/CCM fellowship afterward?

Yale
Cornell
Brown
BU
Pitt
VCU
MSSM
Case Western
UVA

I agree in practical terms, in fact, I'd venture that Iowa has much better basic science for anyone interested (I believe they have a four year spot or two for IM/Research track), but I think UAB holds the bigger "rep", and I like UAB > Iowa for someone looking for cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you guys rate these, given that I'm looking for a Pulm/CCM fellowship afterward?

Yale
Cornell
Brown
BU
Pitt
VCU
MSSM
Case Western
UVA

Cornell is probably the bigger academic name on that list, BUT the God's of Critical Care live at Pitt, so your access to getting involved with some big names probably puts Pitt top on that list IMHO . . .

Pitt > Cornell > VCU = Yale > rest

Remember Pulm/CC tends to "self select" (ie. the people that go into it, like the hours and the type of medicine) and is not the most competative outside of the the top 5-10 programs. If you're a solid resident at any of those programs you'll find a pulm/cc spot somewhere.

I'm probably going to go into Cards or GI and prefer large cities with a lot of diversity.

How would you rank these programs?

NYU
Mount Sinai
JHU Bayview
Pitt
Michigan
Northwestern
Mayo
WashU
Vandy
Emory
Baylor
UTSW
Colorado
UCLA
UCSD

I'm probably going to go into Cards or GI and prefer large cities with a lot of diversity.

How would you rank these programs?

NYU
Mount Sinai
JHU Bayview
Pitt
Michigan
Northwestern
Mayo
WashU
Vandy
Emory
Baylor
UTSW
Colorado
UCLA
UCSD

Nice choices. Cards or GI + diversity . . . given those parameters . . . something like this . . . (which isn't how I'd rank for simply a "cards or GI" ticket)

UCLA
NYU
Mount Sinai
UCSD
NWern
WashU
UTSW
Emory
Baylor
Vandy
Pitt
Michigan
Colorado
Mayo

And I'm not sure where to put Bayview, because I don't know enough about it.

can I try? not nearly as impressive as the above. Hoping for GI..or maybe A/I

Gtown
GW
Umass
Rush
UIC
Dartmouth
UMDNJ-RWJ
Stony Brook
Downstate
USC
tulane

I don't think this is such a bad list, though, I'd probably give more serious consideration to those programs with in house fellowships. GI or A/I are very tough to get into . . . I don't know as much about the NJ or NY programs as much . . .

But I think on the top of that list should be Georgetown and USC, and then probably Tulane, after that I think rank according to how you feel about the program

Wash-U
Mayo-Rochester
Duke
UTSW
OHSU
UCSD
Colorado
Utah
Baylor-Houston
UC-Davis
Cal-Pacific
UC-Irvine
Cedars-Sinai
Harbor-UCLA
Scripps Green
University of Arizona

Any input would be greatly appreciated....thanks all!

Any thoughts on Tufts v. BU v. Brown? Probably going for Cards or GI.

CCF usually takes 2-3 of their own grads in their own cards program and I hear the others usually match well because they get gr8 mentors..Anyways
If CCF , Jefferson and Iowa each offer a prematch which one would you suggest Ishould accept ?

CCF usually takes 2-3 of their own grads in their own cards program and I hear the others usually match well because they get gr8 mentors..Anyways
If CCF , Jefferson and Iowa each offer a prematch which one would you suggest Ishould accept ?

The one you like better.

Not sure which of the 3 you should take, but my understanding of CCF is that they usually only take 1 superstar IM resident a year internally for their cards program, and there are bound to be some sharp ones there. Not sure about their outside matches.

Undecided between fellowships and general academic medicine, any thoughts?

Baylor (Houston)
Emory
GWU
JHU Bayview
Mayo Rochester
Northwestern
UAB
UIC
UChicago
UMichigan
UTSW
Vanderbilt

Any thoughts on Tufts v. BU v. Brown? Probably going for Cards or GI.

BU far and away has the best fellowship match list, but they have a reputation for being malignant, which may or may not be true. When I was interviewing I remember hearing these horror stories about routine 100 hr weeks that I couldn't really confirm. I really liked my interview day though.

Brown is a really happy program, but their fellowship options seemed more limited. Maybe this has changed.

I'd go BU >Tufts > Brown.

BU far and away has the best fellowship match list, but they have a reputation for being malignant, which may or may not be true. When I was interviewing I remember hearing these horror stories about routine 100 hr weeks that I couldn't really confirm. I really liked my interview day though.

I had basically the same experience with BU. Except that I heard those horror stories from the residents on interview day. But for some reason, I really liked the interview day too.

Undecided between fellowships and general academic medicine, any thoughts?

Baylor (Houston)
Emory
GWU
JHU Bayview
Mayo Rochester
Northwestern
UAB
UIC
UChicago
UMichigan
UTSW
Vanderbilt

Although many of these are VERY different styles of programs, I think they are comparable in overall strength/reputation. You would not go wrong at any of them.

UMichigan
UTSW
UAB
Vandy
UChicago
NWestern
Mayo Rochester
-------------------------------

The next tier is Emory (some might put this one above), JHH Bayview, GWU, Baylor Houston. UIC does not belong anywhere on the list.

Near the end of my interview season. Any thoughts on these in terms of GI fellowship and overall resident happiness? Thanks everyone.

Pitt
Temple
Jefferson
Maryland
Hopkins Bayview
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Tulane
UF Gainesville
MUSC
VCU
UVA

Cornell is probably the bigger academic name on that list, BUT the God's of Critical Care live at Pitt, so your access to getting involved with some big names probably puts Pitt top on that list IMHO . . .

Pitt > Cornell > VCU = Yale > rest

Remember Pulm/CC tends to "self select" (ie. the people that go into it, like the hours and the type of medicine) and is not the most competative outside of the the top 5-10 programs. If you're a solid resident at any of those programs you'll find a pulm/cc spot somewhere.

If you really like pittsburgh and believe you can set up a project with one of the top researchers mentioned above, then ranking it first would make sense.

Otherwise, most people would pick between the two Ivies (big edge to Cornell for location). Pitts an up and coming hospital with tons of cash, good program leadership, and a happy house staff -- but I don't think they're at the same tier yet.

Near the end of my interview season. Any thoughts on these in terms of GI fellowship and overall resident happiness? Thanks everyone.

Pitt
Temple
Jefferson
Maryland
Hopkins Bayview
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Tulane
UF Gainesville
MUSC
VCU
UVA
My personal opinion... just an opinion

UVA > Pitt > Bayview > Wake = Jeff > VCU > rest

Looking for some input: I'm hoping to either do a rheum or heme/onc fellowship

BU
Tufts
Georgeotown
GWU
Tulane
Rush
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
OHSU
UC Davis

If you really like pittsburgh and believe you can set up a project with one of the top researchers mentioned above, then ranking it first would make sense.

Otherwise, most people would pick between the two Ivies (big edge to Cornell for location). Pitts an up and coming hospital with tons of cash, good program leadership, and a happy house staff -- but I don't think they're at the same tier yet.

Different strokes for different folks . . . I'd put Cornell lower on that list for "location" :D

Pitt
Temple
Jefferson
Maryland
Hopkins Bayview
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Tulane
UF Gainesville
MUSC
VCU
UVA

Solid list . . . really hard to make a hard and fast order by rank I like Wake and MUSC somewhere near the top, but with that kind of list with a fairly close cluster of "academic rank" go with your gut

Looking for some input: I'm hoping to either do a rheum or heme/onc fellowship

BU
Tufts
Georgeotown
GWU
Tulane
Rush
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
OHSU
UC Davis

Another solid list: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and OHSU at the top in some order IMHO, the rest below as you like.

For a friend who is interested in GIM, heme-onc, or possibly GI:
UCLA
Harbor-UCLA
UCSD
UCI
Cedars-Sinai
Stanford
USC
U of Washington
Duke
Cornell

Also would be interested to see another perspective on my list, and interested in heme/onc like a number of other posters. I feel like all of these programs would be fantastic for clinical training. Still have a number of interviews to go but already have some ideas on which places feel like the best "fit." Here they are, not listed in order of personal preference:

Yale
UPenn
UCSF
Sinai
NYU
MGH
JHH-Osler
Cornell
Columbia
BWH
BIDMC

Another solid list: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and OHSU at the top in some order IMHO, the rest below as you like.

Agree with this completely. The only caveat I will make is that, if you want to do Hem/Onc and are interested in something that can't be cured with a BMT, UMinn is probably not the best option.

Also would be interested to see another perspective on my list, and interested in heme/onc like a number of other posters. I feel like all of these programs would be fantastic for clinical training. Still have a number of interviews to go but already have some ideas on which places feel like the best "fit." Here they are, not listed in order of personal preference:

Yale
UPenn
UCSF
Sinai
NYU
MGH
JHH-Osler
Cornell
Columbia
BWH
BIDMC

Pick the one you liked the best not named Yale or NYU and put it at the top. Repeat until you get 4 or 5 programs listed. Then rank the remaining programs in alphabetical order of the Program Coordinator's middle name.

Pick the one you liked the best not named Yale or NYU and put it at the top. Repeat until you get 4 or 5 programs listed. Then rank the remaining programs in alphabetical order of the Program Coordinator's middle name.

My thoughts exactly with respect to the first sentence. Thanks for the reassurance.

Here is mine. Hopefully headed into Cardiology. How should I rank these based purely on getting into Cards and not on location etc.

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Baylor College of Medicine
Case Western
UTSW
Georgetown
Mayo - Rochester

Here is mine. Hopefully headed into Cardiology. How should I rank these based purely on getting into Cards and not on location etc.

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Baylor College of Medicine
Case Western
UTSW
Georgetown
Mayo - Rochester

UTSW
Baylor
Mayo
The Rest

Would include BIDMC, Cornell and Sinai among Yale and NYU - the other programs you have are of a different caliber...I'd choose among them. Rock star list btw.

Yale
UPenn
UCSF
Sinai
NYU
MGH
JHH-Osler
Cornell
Columbia
BWH
BIDMC

Pick based on location and your "fit." You'll do well from any of these.

Agree with this completely. The only caveat I will make is that, if you want to do Hem/Onc and are interested in something that can't be cured with a BMT, UMinn is probably not the best option.

I'm interested in benign and malignant heme. Does UMn have a reputation for being weak in solids?

I'm interested in benign and malignant heme. Does UMn have a reputation for being weak in solids?

Yes. Although it's more that they have a strength in malignant heme and transplant (being the place where BMT was pioneered and all that). Things may have changed since I interviewed there 5 years ago but if you're interested in the liquid side of things, it's probably a good choice.

Hey all, not sure what I want to do later. But, right now I'm probably 70% Heme-Onc, 15% Gen IM and 15% GI. How would you rank the following places in terms of getting a H/O fellowship, location and malignancy. Thanks as always :)

University of Virginia
Wake Forest
UAB
Emory
Oregon Health
Washington University
BU
Tufts
Baylor
UT Southwestern
UNC
Thomas Jefferson

Would include BIDMC, Cornell and Sinai among Yale and NYU - the other programs you have are of a different caliber...I'd choose among them. Rock star list btw.

I think NYPH-Cornell has a pretty good reputation. In terms of match list, I will have to say that for the last 2 years the Cornell list has been more impressive than Columbia's, and as impressive as UPenn. Also, why the hate for YALE? I hear they match pretty well.

I think NYPH-Cornell has a pretty good reputation. In terms of match list, I will have to say that for the last 2 years the Cornell list has been more impressive than Columbia's, and as impressive as UPenn. Also, why the hate for YALE? I hear they match pretty well.

totally agree - Cornell, Yale, the BI and Sinai are all in that top twenty program tier that is so oft debated on sdn. Would also agree that Penn's match list of late has been not quite on the level of Duke/Columbia/etc - the big big programs among which it's often ranked. Still a phenomenal program, though, and staying in house at Penn is no joke.

As for hating on yale, haha, who knows?

what about a lower tier match list? much appreciated!!!!!!!! location factors in a bit

u of miami -fl
u of gainesville - fl
university of southern florida - tampa
u of iowa - iowa city
u of arizona - tucson
banner good sam - phoenix
u of southern california - l.a.
kaiser oakland
kaiser santa clara
methodist hospital houston
portland providence
legacy emanuel