*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would having my application fully complete in mid or late July considered to be late? For reference, I only applied through TMDSAS and had my primary submitted on May 18th. I already have my MCAT scores in, secondaries finished, and took CASPER on June 23rd. However, according to my advisor, my HPAC packet and committee letter will not be in until mid or late July and I am concerned about how this will impact my cycle. Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Would having my application fully complete in mid or late July considered to be late? For reference, I only applied through TMDSAS and had my primary submitted on May 18th. I already have my MCAT scores in, secondaries finished, and took CASPER on June 23rd. However, according to my advisor, my HPAC packet and committee letter will not be in until mid or late July and I am concerned about how this will impact my cycle. Thank you for the help.
Hi, see my answer to a similar question here:

Your primary submit date is what puts you in an early submission zone.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much do the TMDSAS schools care about Casper? I have a 513 MCAT and 3.80 GPA

Seeking opinions, thanks in advance!

Due to life™, I will probably be submitting my primary within the next couple of days. Am I still in the “good window” for submitting to TMDSAS or am I now late? I’ve seen the graph and just would like some help with interpreting where I stand.

Seeking opinions, thanks in advance!

Due to life™, I will probably be submitting my primary within the next couple of days. Am I still in the “good window” for submitting to TMDSAS or am I now late?
I was just about to ask this. This sounds super neurotic but does it make a huge difference if I submit today, June 30th, or tomorrow July 1st? Everyone keeps digging "apply June at the latest" into my head, but I guess I shouldn't take it so literally. right? Like an extra day won't throw me into the late category? Sorry in advance.

Another (more important) question: Is it bad if I say in my PS that one of the reasons I want to become a doctor is to fill up the shortage of doctors and that during the pandemic I saw "body bags" in the hospital, which made me want to contribute more meaningfully? I also mention this in my conclusion...

I was just about to ask this. This sounds super neurotic but does it make a huge difference if I submit today, June 30th, or tomorrow July 1st? Everyone keeps digging "apply June at the latest" into my head, but I guess I shouldn't take it so literally. right? Like an extra day won't throw me into the late category? Sorry in advance.
Submit it when you are happy with it and a few days won't matter. May, June, & July are all "early" months.

Another (more important) question: Is it bad if I say in my PS that one of the reasons I want to become a doctor is to fill up the shortage of doctors and that during the pandemic I saw "body bags" in the hospital, which made me want to contribute more meaningfully? I also mention this in my conclusion...
You mentioned doctor shortage twice, or body bags twice? One mention of body bags in a personal statement is more than enough, and if I can be frank maybe that belongs more appropriately in one of your other essays or MME descriptions.

You mentioned doctor shortage twice, or body bags twice? One mention of body bags in a personal statement is more than enough, and if I can be frank maybe that belongs more appropriately in one of your other essays or MME descriptions.
I mentioned them separately, body bags in intro, and " I want to fulfill doctor shortage" in conclusion.

TMDSAS made this announcement on their Facebook page today, about UT Tyler.
Check your TMDSAS portal tomorrow (July 1) if you are interested in adding this school.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 4.45.33 PM.jpg

So my optional LOR from interfolio has gotten rejected AGAIN for the same reason (not signed). At this point, I've lost faith in my writer doing it correctly, and I don't want to wait another 3 weeks for the letter to be approved by TMDSAS when everything else is submitted. Is it worth calling TMDSAS to tell them to delete the optional letter request so the schools can start reading my app already?

So my optional LOR from interfolio has gotten rejected AGAIN for the same reason (not signed). At this point, I've lost faith in my writer doing it correctly, and I don't want to wait another 3 weeks for the letter to be approved by TMDSAS when everything else is submitted. Is it worth calling TMDSAS to tell them to delete the optional letter request so the schools can start reading my app already?
The best way to get this done quick is NOT calling, but sending a message in your TMDSAS portal.
A liaision has been assigned to each applicant. If you really don't think your writer will come through (date, signature, letterhead) then tell TMDSAS the letter is no longer expected.
If your other 3 letter are there, you are complete and the schools won't keep looking for letter #4.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to get this done quick is NOT calling, but sending a message in your TMDSAS portal.
A liaision has been assigned to each applicant. If you really don't think your writer will come through (date, signature, letterhead) then tell TMDSAS the letter is no longer expected.
If your other 3 letter are there, you are complete and the schools won't keep looking for letter #4.
Thank you for your help, not just on this but all TMDSAS in general.

Reactions: 1 users
Funnily enough, I just had my optional Letter rejected today by TMDSAS for the same reason, even though Interfolio confirmed it was signed when I had them recheck it. I am pretty sure your letter is signed, otherwise Interfolio wouldn't have let it pass their quality assurance process. So, gain some faith in your letter writer. Sounds like some monkey business going down at TMDSAS HQ. Mine is a DO letter so I will probably just send it directly the DO schools if they accept that. GL, let me know how it goes.

Also, AMCAS and AACOMMAS both received my letters and did not say anything. Although, maybe they did not verify it yet?

Funnily enough, I just had my optional Letter rejected today by TMDSAS for the same reason, even though Interfolio confirmed it was signed when I had them recheck it. I am pretty sure your letter is signed, otherwise Interfolio wouldn't have let it pass their quality assurance process. So, gain some faith in your letter writer. Sounds like some monkey business going down at TMDSAS HQ. Mine is a DO letter so I will probably just send it directly the DO schools if they accept that. GL, let me know how it goes.

Also, AMCAS and AACOMMAS both received my letters and did not say anything. Although, maybe they did not verify it yet?
That's really weird. Do you think it's worth giving TMDSAS a call?

AMCAS also received my letter very soon, like less than a day of me submitting it through Interfolio, so I don't think it's verified yet. I'll give TMDSAS a call today and let you know what they say.

So my letter is a DO letter so I am going to send it directly to UNTHSC TCOM through interfolio, which they approved. SHSU, on the other hand, said they only take letters through TMDSAS, so I guess I will not be sending it to them.

Question: I have submitted primary and secondary apps with all recommendation letters. It's done. I have two MCAT scores and the latest one has NOT been released yet. Would the school wait for my second score to be released or they will go ahead and process my apps?

Question: I have submitted primary and secondary apps with all recommendation letters. It's done. I have two MCAT scores and the latest one has NOT been released yet. Would the school wait for my second score to be released or they will go ahead and process my apps?
They might not wait, but they will see that you have another score coming and could set your app aside to see what the new score is. Or by the time they read through your application the second score might have come in. Good luck either way!

Just got word back from TMDSAS: they do not accept a digital "signature font." Imma hope TCOM will or i'm gonna have to contact the writer.

I got a notification of residency jeopardy today because I'm working out of state for my gap year. My understanding in the past had been that a single gap year out of state wouldn't break your residency but it looks like they're implying that ten months out of state ends it. Anyone have input on this? I've lived my whole life in Texas other than undergrad and this gap year.

I got a notification of residency jeopardy today because I'm working out of state for my gap year. My understanding in the past had been that a single gap year out of state wouldn't break your residency but it looks like they're implying that ten months out of state ends it. Anyone have input on this? I've lived my whole life in Texas other than undergrad and this gap year.
@Numpostrophe Please message directly with the TMDSAS residency liaison on your portal. Give them as much detail about the job and your intent to return to Texas as possible. In the event you still risk losing resident status, ask them what is the upper limit of weeks/months you could be out of state. You may decide to leave your job a little earlier than you had planned, to keep the status. Their word on this is the only one that counts. Good luck!

God uploading letters onto TMDSAS is such a pain. AMCAS is so quick and easy compared to these grueling processing times. I submitted an interfolio delivery 6/16 and have no word from TMDSAS that it was received even though it says on their site that they're on 6/20. I'm pretty sure I did everything right when submitting the letter and not sure whether to just wait it out or try sending it again. Literally have my whole apps for TMDSAS done except for these damn letters when it shouldn't be nearly this much of a hassle to get them in.

uploading letters onto TMDSAS is such a pain. AMCAS is so quick and easy compared to these grueling processing times. I submitted an interfolio delivery 6/16 and have no word from TMDSAS that it was received even though it says on their site that they're on 6/20. I'm pretty sure I did everything right when submitting the letter and not sure whether to just wait it out or try sending it again. Literally have my whole apps for TMDSAS done except for these damn letters when it shouldn't be nearly this much of a hassle to get them in.
Did you send another interfolio letter after the 6/16 one? Apparently if you have sent your letters in multiple deliveries, Interfolio moves your submission date for all submitted letters to the latest delivery date. I had the same issue, and this is what a TMDSAS rep told me.

Last edited:
Did you send another interfolio letter after the 6/16 one? Apparently if you have sent your letters in multiple deliveries, Interfolio moves your submission date for all submitted letters to the latest delivery date. I had the same issue, and this is what a TMDSAS rep told me.
Yes I did! This makes things make a lot more sense, my letter submissions are a little staggered and I have the other 2 coming in later. Thanks so much it was driving me crazy.

So, my MCAT score did not come out as good as I wanted it to. I got a 504. My cGPA is a 3.7x and sGPA is slightly below. I submitted my TMDSAS last week and I am wondering if there is a point to filling out the secondaries for the majority of the MD schools? I saw somewhere that I should probably only apply to UTGRV, SHSU, and TCOM. Should I work only on these secondaries and also start AACOMAS? I do not plan to apply to AMCAS, esp with this MCAT score. Thanks

So, my MCAT score did not come out as good as I wanted it to. I got a 504. My cGPA is a 3.7x and sGPA is slightly below. I submitted my TMDSAS last week and I am wondering if there is a point to filling out the secondaries for the majority of the MD schools? I saw somewhere that I should probably only apply to UTGRV, SHSU, and TCOM. Should I work only on these secondaries and also start AACOMAS? I do not plan to apply to AMCAS, esp with this MCAT score. Thanks
I think you are a good candidate for TCOM

Just out of concern for others who may have made the mistake I did. TMDSAS does not automatically receive your MCAT scores when they ask you for your AAMC ID during the primary.

I just submitted my first secondary and realized that the school had still not received my MCAT, you have to manually go into the AAMC website and release your scores to TMDSAS.

It takes 36 hours for them to receive your scores after you release them, according to their website. @wysdoc Do schools generally review applications without MCAT scores or does it vary?

Meaningful experiences - one of my very prominent meaningful experiences (my "why medicine") is the topic of my personal statement. I don't need to reiterate it again in the 3 meaningful experiences, right? Save that space for another experience?

I think you are a good candidate for TCOM

TCOM average MCAT is 508.3, assuming source is correct.
Does FirstAidMan have something else to compensate for their 504? Based on MCAT and GPA, "good" isn't the word I thought of, especially given FirstAidMan is ORM.

TCOM average MCAT is 508.3, assuming source is correct.
Does FirstAidMan have something else to compensate for their 504? Based on MCAT and GPA, "good" isn't the word I thought of, especially given FirstAidMan is ORM.

You can look at FirstAidMan's WAMC thread that was posted recently for more info. I would not say his application is completely cookie cutter-ish.

Also, I toured TCOM recently and their Fall 2021 EY Stats were
Overall GPA: 3.79
BCPM GPA: 3.71
Mean MCAT: 508
GPA Range: 2.88-4.00
MCAT Range: 496-520

So, It is indeed correct that FirstAidMan's Stats aren't the most competitive for TCOM.

Meaningful experiences - one of my very prominent meaningful experiences (my "why medicine") is the topic of my personal statement. I don't need to reiterate it again in the 3 meaningful experiences, right? Save that space for another experience?
Yes choose others as it gives you more depth and variety for your essays

Just out of concern for others who may have made the mistake I did. TMDSAS does not automatically receive your MCAT scores when they ask you for your AAMC ID during the primary.

I just submitted my first secondary and realized that the school had still not received my MCAT, you have to manually go into the AAMC website and release your scores to TMDSAS.

It takes 36 hours for them to receive your scores after you release them, according to their website. @wysdoc Do schools generally review applications without MCAT scores or does it vary?
They are generally going to wait to see that your app is complete with primary app, GPA, and MCAT.
They may not need your letters or CASPer for initial review.

For my LOR's, I only submitted a committee packet which contained 2 science profs and 1 non-science. I am marked complete for most Texas schools. Would just having this committee letter put me at a disadvantage? I can submit the optional 4th letter, but I'm worried that might push back my completion date and delay their review of my app.

For my LOR's, I only submitted a committee packet which contained 2 science profs and 1 non-science. I am marked complete for most Texas schools. Would just having this committee letter put me at a disadvantage? I can submit the optional 4th letter, but I'm worried that might push back my completion date and delay their review of my app.
Your committee packet of letters will satisfy all the TMDSAS school's requirements. You're all set.

Your committee packet of letters will satisfy all the TMDSAS school's requirements. You're all set.
Thank you. I see people applying through AMCAS with like 6 different letters, so I was confused.

Thank you. I see people applying through AMCAS with like 6 different letters, so I was confused.
TMDSAS is 3 minimum, 4 maximum, and all letters go to all your schools.

The AMCAS schools are much more variable and you would need to look at each one's page to see.
The range is as much as from 2 to 10 letters allowed. Some schools have a maximum and want no extras, some have specific sources they want to see. With AMCAS you can store a larger number of letters and then assign them to schools according to what each school wants.

A bit of a "duh" question but... if a transcript has been marked received and approved, does that mean the coursework has also been verified?

A bit of a "duh" question but... if a transcript has been marked received and approved, does that mean the coursework has also been verified?
AMCAS will check off your transcript against the coursework you entered to verify it.
TMDSAS doesn’t ask for transcripts generally this early in the app cycle.
It’s not such a dumb question because when TMDSAS is verifying your app, they are checking to see if your courses qualify as meeting the standards for various categories, like Bio, Biochem, etc.
Each med school decides how many hours they want to see in each category.

AMCAS will check off your transcript against the coursework you entered to verify it.
TMDSAS doesn’t ask for transcripts generally this early in the app cycle.
It’s not such a dumb question because when TMDSAS is verifying your app, they are checking to see if your courses qualify as meeting the standards for various categories, like Bio, Biochem, etc.
Each med school decides how many hours they want to see in each category.
I have AFS which is why my transcripts are in so early :)

If we send updated scores to TMDSAS, how will we know that the scores have been sent to the schools we applied to?

If we send updated scores to TMDSAS, how will we know that the scores have been sent to the schools we applied to?
New MCAT scores that you release to TMDSAS will be passed on to all your schools the next day after TMDSAS gets them

I put I won’t apply to OOS schools on TMDSAS because I was dumb. Can I still apply to OOS DOs tho?

I put I won’t apply to OOS schools on TMDSAS because I was dumb. Can I still apply to OOS DOs tho?
Of course, you can apply to any DO school you want to.
I checked the parts of the TMDSAS that can be altered after submitting, and the list of OOS MD schools does not appear to be one of the things you can correct or change. But in life plans sometimes change, so you could message TMDSAS in your portal and see what they say about this.

Of course, you can apply to any DO school you want to.
I checked the parts of the TMDSAS that can be altered after submitting, and the list of OOS MD schools does not appear to be one of the things you can correct or change. But in life plans sometimes change, so you could message TMDSAS in your portal and see what they say about this.
Thank you for your response. I sent them a message or two but they just rambled and didn’t get to the point. Basically they told me once I submitted the application I couldn’t change anything. They didn’t answer my question about adding OOS schools.
But I still can add OOS schools right?

Thank you for your response. I sent them a message or two but they just rambled and didn’t get to the point. Basically they told me once I submitted the application I couldn’t change anything. They didn’t answer my question about adding OOS schools.
But I still can add OOS schools right?
The problem is: you certified that everything on your application is accurate, before submitting it.
They didn't ask about OOS DO schools, so you're in the clear there. To apply to the DO schools you will use the AACOMAS app, which is not connected to the TMDSAS app.
@gonnif @Catalystik any advice here?
Is it ok to change your mind about applying OOS even if at the time you signed the TMDSAS forms you had not planned to?

Last edited:
Hi guys, so I just got my 6/18 MCAT back and I got a 506 not what I wanted but I still want to apply this cycle. My gpa is 3.7 and sgpa a little lower. Extracurriculars are pretty good with shadowing, scribing, research, and good amount of volunteering hours. I submitted a couple days ago and I was just wondering am I in good shape for tcom?

Status
Not open for further replies.