*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2022-2023 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

So I submitted my primary on June 7th but my committee letter likely won’t be submitted by my schools Health Professions Office until June 20th. How long does TMDSAS usually take to process letters of recommendation?

I’m worried that even if I pre-write all my secondaries and submit them the first day I receive them my letters will delay my application further. Also it’s a little late but was a June 7th submission date for my primary fine? I’ve heard that as long as I’m complete by early July (I’m guessing that’s before the 10th of July) I’m fine but wanted to double check.
You're great! May and June are early. Right now TMDSAS is processing apps and letters in about 2 weeks. That time may get a little bit longer as the number of applications build up.
If you ever want to see where they are with things, go to the TMDSAS page here: TMDSAS Homepage
and look at the column on the right. So today for example they're processing apps submitted 5/25 and letters submitted 5/25 (about 2 weeks).
P.S. I think the column with dates they’re processing only shows up on a laptop not on a phone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
You're great! May and June are early. Right now TMDSAS is processing apps and letters in about 2 weeks. That time may get a little bit longer as the number of applications build up.
If you ever want to see where they are with things, go to the TMDSAS page here: TMDSAS Homepage
and look at the column on the right. So today for example they're processing apps submitted 5/25 and letters submitted 5/25 (about 2 weeks).
I don't even think you realize how positive and helpful you and @Mr.Smile12 are on SDN. We appreciate you two so much

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much wysdoc, the neuroticism was really getting to me so I truly appreciate all your help! Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do most TMDSAS med schools wait until you are fully complete before starting to review your application? I have submitted my primary, MCAT, CASPer, Secondaries, and 2 of my letters of rec. My other two had mistakes and after re-submitting them, it seems it'll be 1.5 weeks until I am fully complete. Will adcoms see this and start reviewing other parts of my app or wait until those last 2 letters are in? I know I'm early but I'd just like to understand their process.

Do most TMDSAS med schools wait until you are fully complete before starting to review your application? I have submitted my primary, MCAT, CASPer, Secondaries, and 2 of my letters of rec. My other two had mistakes and after re-submitting them, it seems it'll be 1.5 weeks until I am fully complete. Will adcoms see this and start reviewing other parts of my app or wait until those last 2 letters are in? I know I'm early but I'd just like to understand their process.
Like anything in life the process varies.
Schools will begin reading your apps the end of June or so. One TX school doesn't even send out secondary invitations until the end of June.

They will read the complete ones first and read others as files become complete.
Interview invitations begin in July at some schools and August at others, and end in January at some schools and February at others.

If you'd like to see how things rolled out last year, check this post: #2

I'll say this for the first time the application season: Being the first is not important. Interview season spans 7-8 months.

Last edited:
Like anything in life the process varies.
Schools will begin reading your apps the end of June or so. One TX school doesn't even send out secondary invitations until the end of June.

They will read the complete ones first and read others as files become complete.
Interview invitations begin in July at some schools and August at others, and end in January at some schools and February at others.

If you'd like to see how things rolled out last year, check this post: #2

I'll say this for the first time the application season: Being the first is not important. Interview season spans 7-8 months.
Got it, this all makes sense. Thank you for the response. @wysdoc I appreciate your wisdom :)

Got it, this all makes sense. Thank you for the response. @wysdoc I appreciate your wisdom :)
And hey I'm not trying to squelch your enthusiasm, because I know you got everything turned in nice and early.

I am only hoping to head off the deluge of questions I usually get in July and August like "Interviews are happening but I didn't get one, does that mean I've been passed over?"

Taking my mcat June 30th. I have everything written for my TMDSAS application, so I will submit the first or second week of July. Is this too late to where I need to apply next cycle to be competitive? Or am I okay?

Taking my mcat June 30th. I have everything written for my TMDSAS application, so I will submit the first or second week of July. Is this too late to where I need to apply next cycle to be competitive? Or am I okay?
Your submission date is great. Your score will be back probably close to when the app is verified and they will both go out to your schools. Be sure to mark on your MCAT account that you give permission for AAMC to release your score to TMDSAS.

Your submission date is great. Your score will be back probably close to when the app is verified and they will both go out to your schools. Be sure to mark on your MCAT account that you give permission for AAMC to release your score to TMDSAS.
Thank you. I was really worried. A lot came up in June for me, but June 25 or 30 should be perfect. Is there a SUBSTANTIAL disadvantage for those high tier Texas schools like McGovern (my fav) in having that verified application go out early August? I will rewrite secondaries all of July and be ready.

I had 55 credit hours going into college and am graduating with 143 credits (completing 88 in college). because its 88 in college, i dont meet the 90 hours to classify as a senior, so i graduate a junior according to tmdsas. will this cause an issue with anything? i have all my prereqs completed, im just worried about the classification

Hi everyone,

I'm currently an applicant for the 2022-2023 TMDSAS cycle. I have already submitted my primary application and have all of my reference letters in. I'm currently pre-writing my secondaries and doing my CASPer/Altus exams. I have my MCAT score, but it's not very good, and I want to retake it in July (which would make my score release date middle of August). Even though I have everything in besides my MCAT, would submitting my MCAT in August when I get my score back make me a late/less competitive applicant? I'm worried because I've been on top of everything but I didn't expect to do so poor on my MCAT.

(Also just for reference, I'm applying to MD and DO schools in Texas. I'm also really leaning towards Sam Houston State DO school, because I have family nearby that also attends).

Thank you so much,

Hi everyone,

I'm currently an applicant for the 2022-2023 TMDSAS cycle. I have already submitted my primary application and have all of my reference letters in. I'm currently pre-writing my secondaries and doing my CASPer/Altus exams. I have my MCAT score, but it's not very good, and I want to retake it in July (which would make my score release date middle of August). Even though I have everything in besides my MCAT, would submitting my MCAT in August when I get my score back make me a late/less competitive applicant? I'm worried because I've been on top of everything but I didn't expect to do so poor on my MCAT.

(Also just for reference, I'm applying to MD and DO schools in Texas. I'm also really leaning towards Sam Houston State DO school, because I have family nearby that also attends).

Thank you so much,
I have moved your posted to the main TMDAS questions thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Casper taken 6/2 updated this evening as completed with results delivered.

Same here. Do you know where we go to view the quartile? Or is that later? I wish we could see our actual score.

Altus says your scores are sent to schools within 2-3 weeks and you get your quartile info after weeks. So, we've got another 2 weeks or so.

Hi,
I’m applying this upcoming cycle but I’m scheduled to take the mcat on July 16th yielding an august 16th score return. I pushed it back because I just didn’t feel ready but I will submit the rest of my primary by June 23rd. So I should be verified sometime in early to mid July and then be complete in mid August. I plan to pre write my secondaries as well. Does my august 16th mcat completely mess up my chances for this year?

Hi,
I’m applying this upcoming cycle but I’m scheduled to take the mcat on July 16th yielding an august 16th score return. I pushed it back because I just didn’t feel ready but I will submit the rest of my primary by June 23rd. So I should be verified sometime in early to mid July and then be complete in mid August. I plan to pre write my secondaries as well. Does my august 16th mcat completely mess up my chances for this year?
Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 5.36.08 PM.png

It would probably be best to wait for the next cycle and to keep bolstering your application until then.

Edit: @chacothefish see above.

View attachment 356370

It would probably be best to wait for the next cycle and to keep bolstering your application until then.

Edit: @chacothefish see above.
Even if I were to submit my primary in the next couple days?? I thought those numbers were in reference to when the primary is submitted. I would just be waiting on my mcat score but everything else would be turned in.

Even if I were to submit my primary in the next couple days?? I thought those numbers were in reference to when the primary is submitted. I would just be waiting on my mcat score but everything else would be turned in.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but a primary that is submitted with no MCAT won't get verified and will just be in limbo waiting for your MCAT score regardless of when it was submitted.

I normally would say that the most important date is when the primary application is turned in, but you're now looking at your application being seen as incomplete by the schools until September 16th when the MCAT score is released to the schools.
This is not a likely successful strategy, for Texas schools.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but a primary that is submitted with no MCAT won't get verified and will just be in limbo waiting for your MCAT score regardless of when it was submitted.
TMDSAS will verify a primary without an MCAT, BUT a school won't make any decisions about interviews without an MCAT.
That's where this application will be stuck on hold.

I normally would say that the most important date is when the primary application is turned in, but you're now looking at your application being seen as incomplete by the schools until September 16th when the MCAT score is released to the schools.
This is not a likely successful strategy, for Texas schools.
Would there be a huge difference if I were to take my mcat on June 30th versus July 16th? That way I would be complete and have my mcat score released August 1st instead of august 16-17th?

I thought you were taking it in August?
No, I would be taking it July 16th with a score release date of august 16th. I was planning on submitting the rest of my primary app in the next couple days

TMDSAS will verify a primary without an MCAT, BUT a school won't make any decisions about interviews without an MCAT.
That's where this application will be stuck on hold.

Ah, this is what I meant, not actual verification. Much appreciated!

I had 55 credit hours going into college and am graduating with 143 credits (completing 88 in college). because its 88 in college, i dont meet the 90 hours to classify as a senior, so i graduate a junior according to tmdsas. will this cause an issue with anything? i have all my prereqs completed, im just worried about the classification
Don't worry about the year to year classification - it looks like you earned your bachelor degree and have 143 hours in total.
Good luck this year with your applications.

Which schools will review apps without all LORs? I just found out my committee letter chair is unexpectedly out of the office until July. Everything else is complete and verified but I’m worried that I will get overlooked by not having everything submitted until mid-late July

Texas Applicants data from 2021-2022 application year:
My source of information is AAMC Tables A-4 and A-5 which include all
US MD schools but do not include DO schools.
The TMDSAS data set has a different number of applicants as it includes 2 DO schools.

in the 2021-2022 application cycle there were:
5894 Texas applicants
1931 matriculants (32.7%)
No acceptances 3963 (67.2%)

Of those 1931 who matriculated:
1608 stayed in Texas (83%)
323 matriculated OOS (17%)

(The AAMC table computes and lists the matriculation rate as a percentage of total applicants, so you will see the numbers there as 27.3% of Texans matriculated IS, 5.5% matriculated OOS, and 67.2% did not matriculate to any US MD school)

Our Texas success rate is staying steady at about 1/3 of applicants.
The bias at OOS schools against Texans seems to be melting a little. My impression is that those accepted OOS are often very high-stat applicants or MD/PhD applicants. I don't have a data table for that.

National (overall) AMCAS application success rate is now 36.3%

in 2021-2022:
62,443 applicants
22,666 matriculants: 13645 matriculated in their home states (60.2%) and 9021 went OOS (39.8%)

Last edited:
So I just took the CASPER and quite frankly, I'm pretty sure I bombed it. I was wondering if there's any transparency around how much weight CASPER schools in Texas put on this test. I have a pretty strong application otherwise imo, 3.99 GPA 518 MCAT, decent ECs that pretty much revolve around not being a psychopath. But after putting all this work into my app, I'm kinda worried that I've shot myself in the foot.

Any advice? I know I can't really do anything about it now since the scores don't really come out for like 4 weeks and what's done is done but I'd like to hear if applicants with low CASPer scores still get accepted into CASPer schools.

Which schools will review apps without all LORs? I just found out my committee letter chair is unexpectedly out of the office until July. Everything else is complete and verified but I’m worried that I will get overlooked by not having everything submitted until mid-late July
We are not privy to all the internal workings of the admissions committees and in what order they review supplementary materials, unless they distinctly tell us.
On the TMDSAS guide in the section "After Submitting" you can see what information has been provided.
All the schools know that committee letters might come in a bit later than individual letters, sometimes not until the committee is back on campus for fall term. You have submitted the things that are under your control.

Is there a way to give authorization to the AAMC to release my MCAT score before it is released 7/6? I tried following the instructions TMDSAS gave, but I don't have a reports section I can use to give authorization.

Is there a way to give authorization to the AAMC to release my MCAT score before it is released 7/6? I tried following the instructions TMDSAS gave, but I don't have a reports section I can use to give authorization.
The place you will go to authorize release of your MCAT scores to TMDSAS is on the AAMC portal where you registered for the MCAT.
If you authorize it now, TMDSAS will see it the same day you do.
No release is required for your score to go to AMCAS schools, if you are applying to any of those.

I have four things that are causing me confusion:

1. Lets say I will include being an EMT under planned activities. Should I have both healthcare and employment roles for being an EMT under the planned activities section, or just one role?

2. Let's use the EMT example again and say that it applies to both healthcare and employment roles. The app guide says to list them separately. But how about the hours? Should I split the total amount of hours evenly between the two, or split based on which role was the dominant one (difficult, because they are basically intertwined), or should I write the total amount of hours as an EMT in both sections?

3. Under Extracurricular and Leisure activities, can I include activities that I started before high school graduation that are still current, and if so, the amount of hours that I did the activity before high school graduation?

4. Under most of the sections, If I started an activity before high school graduation and I am still doing it, do I enter the date of when I started it or of my high school graduation, and do I include hours before high school graduation if the former is the case?

Thank you

I have four things that are causing me confusion:

1. Lets say I will include being an EMT under planned activities. Should I have both healthcare and employment roles for being an EMT under the planned activities section, or just one role?

2. Let's use the EMT example again and say that it applies to both healthcare and employment roles. The app guide says to list them separately. But how about the hours? Should I split the total amount of hours evenly between the two, or split based on which role was the dominant one (difficult, because they are basically intertwined), or should I write the total amount of hours as an EMT in both sections?

3. Under Extracurricular and Leisure activities, can I include activities that I started before high school graduation that are still current, and if so, the amount of hours that I did the activity before high school graduation?

4. Under most of the sections, If I started an activity before high school graduation and I am still doing it, do I enter the date of when I started it or of my high school graduation, and do I include hours before high school graduation if the former is the case?

Thank you
1 and 2 : planned activity hours are taken with a grain of salt, as plans often change. If this is a new activity for you, list it in the category that fills gaps the most on your application, but I don't think it's useful to list a future activity in 2 categories.
3. Describe hobbies for the achievement, healthy benefits, or enjoyment they gave you, not everything has to be related back to medicine.
On TMDSAS they ask you to include hours for activities beginning after HS graduation. In your essay or description if this is important to you, you can mention the age you first started it.
4. same, hours after HS graduation but your essays can tell more

@wysdoc
What are your thoughts on applying to just TMDSAS and AACOMAS? I am in between TMDSAS and AACOMAS in terms of competitiveness, based on my stats. I am a texas resident and I keep hearing of an AMCAS bias towards Texas Residents. To make it more generalizable, should your slightly under competitive (for MD) texas resident bother applying out of state MD? Thanks.

@wysdoc
What are your thoughts on applying to just TMDSAS and AACOMAS? I am in between TMDSAS and AACOMAS in terms of competitiveness, based on my stats. I am a texas resident and I keep hearing of an AMCAS bias towards Texas Residents. To make it more generalizable, should your slightly under competitive (for MD) texas resident bother applying out of state MD? Thanks.
Applying to TMDSAS plus AACOMAS is a good strategy if your numbers are good but not super high. Be sure you feel you would be happy with a DO acceptance because a lot of people second guess their decision later.

Where should unpaid internships go? They are not healthcare related and not community service oriented at all. I was going to put them in employment, but the application guide specifies PAID work experience.

Where should unpaid internships go? They are not healthcare related and not community service oriented at all. I was going to put them in employment, but the application guide specifies PAID work experience.
Employment but state that it is unpaid/an internship

Can applicants that are taking summer courses update medical schools of their high grades (or is that overkill) or do they just update the grades section of the TMDSAS application? Do admissions committees see this update in GPA similar to how they would see any other update to the application (ex MCAT scores or letter of rec)?

Can applicants that are taking summer courses update medical schools of their high grades (or is that overkill) or do they just update the grades section of the TMDSAS application? Do admissions committees see this update in GPA similar to how they would see any other update to the application (ex MCAT scores or letter of rec)?
Definitely log back in to your TMDSAS portal when your summer grades are final and enter the grades, save the page. TMDSAS will forward this update to schools automatically.
Being so early in the application year, there is no need to update your schools with emails about your new semester.
Let's say you have not heard much about interviews by late September or October : That might be a better time to reach out with updates.

Definitely log back in to your TMDSAS portal when your summer grades are final and enter the grades, save the page. TMDSAS will forward this update to schools automatically.
Being so early in the application year, there is no need to update your schools with emails about your new semester.
Let's say you have not heard much about interviews by late September or October : That might be a better time to reach out with updates.
Ok, got it. thank you @wysdoc. Will do :thumbup:

Hello @wysdoc ! I submitted my primary application and letters of rec today, but will not receive an mcat score until Aug 30 (testing July 30) — if I pre write my secondaries and submit all by the end of August - beginning of September, am I at a significant disadvantage? Just want to be informed! Thanks

Hello @wysdoc ! I submitted my primary application and letters of rec today, but will not receive an mcat score until Aug 30 (testing July 30) — if I pre write my secondaries and submit all by the end of August - beginning of September, am I at a significant disadvantage? Just want to be informed! Thanks
You can work on pre-writing your secondaries little by little but don't submit them until you hear from each school.
Some schools might not send you a secondary until they see that you have an MCAT score.
Make MCAT study your priority but you can't do that all day every day, so you will probably be able to finish most of your secondaries before August 30 and have them ready to go when invited to submit.

Texas Applicants data from 2021-2022 application year:
My source of information is AAMC Tables A-4 and A-5 which include all
US MD schools but do not include DO schools.
The TMDSAS data set has a different number of applicants as it includes 2 DO schools.

in the 2021-2022 application cycle there were:
5894 Texas applicants
1931 matriculants (32.7%)
No acceptances 3963 (67.2%)

Of those 1931 who matriculated:
1608 stayed in Texas (83%)
323 matriculated OOS (17%)

(The AAMC table computes and lists the matriculation rate as a percentage of total applicants, so you will see the numbers there as 27.3% of Texans matriculated IS, 5.5% matriculated OOS, and 67.2% did not matriculate to any US MD school)

Our Texas success rate is staying steady at about 1/3 of applicants.
The bias at OOS schools against Texans seems to be melting a little. My impression is that those accepted OOS are often very high-stat applicants or MD/PhD applicants. I don't have a data table for that.

National (overall) AMCAS application success rate is now 36.3%

in 2021-2022:
62,443 applicants
22,666 matriculants: 13645 matriculated in their home states (60.2%) and 9021 went OOS (39.8%)
I had no idea it was only 33%...... I don't feel so good lol.

Would writing 2/3 secondary essays about an interest in certain speciality (with different focuses in each) be looked upon negatively by schools?

I had no idea it was only 33%...... I don't feel so good lol.
this does not include DO schools!!!! Do not let the stats bring you down. So many people apply when they should not. The real acceptance rate is like 70 percent if you only count those qualified to apply.

this does not include DO schools!!!! Do not let the stats bring you down. So many people apply when they should not. The real acceptance rate is like 70 percent if you only count those qualified to apply.
You are right, TMDSAS stats do not include OOS DO schools at all, which Texans do get accepted into. The AMCAS stats include all AMCAS and TMDSAS schools.

And the old myth that "it is easier to get in to med school if you are from Texas" has never been super accurate, but it is true that Texans are more likely to stay in Texas.
Prevously the AMCAS rate of acceptance was closer to 40% but last year it hit 36%, closer to the Texas rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.