***Official UPENN c/o 2015 Thread!!***

Acceptance today!

Members don't see this ad.

got my packet dec 1 w/ a dean's scholarship as well, which actually makes UPenn cheaper than my state school (UCSF, UCLA).

anyone in the same boat deciding whether to stay home or go somewhere new?

got my packet dec 1 w/ a dean's scholarship as well, which actually makes UPenn cheaper than my state school (UCSF, UCLA).

im in the exact same boat....only my state school is not as reputable as UCSF and UCLA lol.... i have to decided between goin to upenn or UF.....i like 1.5 hours away from UF....i feel ur pain....im prolly gonna go to upenn this winter break to visit the school again...

Members don't see this ad :)

hey dentdent12
i'm also from CA & having the problem deciding between penn w/deans vs. ucla...is it true that penn w/deans is cheaper than ucla? i haven't calculated the costs for each

I am in the same boat but my state school is Missouri. My state school is still cheaper and I liked it a lot when I visited but loved Penn more. It is $30K vs $60K a year. Will $120K extra in debt to go to Penn be worth it in the long run? Does it matter where you go to dental school as long as your are happy?

For those going to Penn, don't forget to join the FB group.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I got into Penn and few days ago, and now am trying to narrow my list of schools down. Overall I was not all that impressed, the basement just seemed depressing, especially the classrooms, and the clinic looked like it was in a basketball court. Could everyone please cite some of your reasons for choosing Penn or what you liked best? I also I have heard that only the top 10 students in the class are ranked can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance

I am in the same boat as you. I got accepted to UCSF, UCLA with Dean's and Regent's scholarship, and UPenn with Dean's scholarship.

I don't know where to go next year...

so why are you guys choosing upenn? what aspects sparked your interest?

ill be joining you guys next year!

upenn just seems like a very well-rounded program. except for the cost haha.

Anyone going to Penn for sure? I'm pretty sure I am, and will be sending in my deposit tomorrow! So exciting :)

Oh, and don't forget to join the FB group!

I will be attending as well! I'm going to send my deposit in once I am back home for winter break.

Penn was my first interview, and none of the other schools could quite compare. Here's a list of some of the things that made Penn stand out to me:
- the DentSim lab
- one exam per week
- location (I am from Philadelphia, and I like how the dental school is connected to the rest of the University)
- the group system with other D1s,D2s,D3s, &D4s with faculty advisers

What about the DentSim lab did you like exactly?

I will be attending as well! I'm going to send my deposit in once I am back home for winter break.

Penn was my first interview, and none of the other schools could quite compare. Here's a list of some of the things that made Penn stand out to me:
- the DentSim lab
- one exam per week
- location (I am from Philadelphia, and I like how the dental school is connected to the rest of the University)
- the group system with other D1s,D2s,D3s, &D4s with faculty advisers

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the DentSim lab did you like exactly?

I liked how as first year students, we will be able to practice on typodonts and receive feedback directly from a computer. Some of the tour guides said they enjoyed the DentSim Lab because it offered "a light at the end of the tunnel". It's a good break from class after class when you can actually practice on a typodont and learn posture and how to use handpieces.

I have heard several times on the forums that UPenn does not rank their students outside the top 10. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Hey Minoh, where did you hear that, on the interview?

I believe that there is a 1-10, however you are not told where you would rank within that. Otherwise you are 11.

I am in the same boat as you. I got accepted to UCSF, UCLA with Dean's and Regent's scholarship, and UPenn with Dean's scholarship.

Congratulations! You're in a lucky position, but I don't envy the decision you'll have to make.

Noemi just mailed out the UCLA acceptance letters with scholarship awards today, by the way, so someone might be counting their chickens before they hatch here.

hey hahadino2771
how were you notified about the UCLA Dean/Regents Scholarship? Did Noemi tell you when she called you last week? or did you get it with your actual letter in the mail?

Hey gigawatt

I got the same email saying that the UCLA letters were in the mail today, but that doesn't necessarily mean they all include scholarships right?
Are you notified that you got a scholarship via the phone call last week?
Or are scholarship notifications via the letter in the mail?

Congratulations! You're in a lucky position, but I don't envy the decision you'll have to make.

Noemi just mailed out the UCLA acceptance letters with scholarship awards today, by the way, so someone might be counting their chickens before they hatch here.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I am in tooo.. im a little nervous for the classes.. but cant wait to meet you guys..

yooo kch12.. i think i met you during the interview...omg... now i have a frind already.. im sooo excited!!!

yooo kch12.. i think i met you during the interview...omg... now i have a frind already.. im sooo excited!!!

Haha hey Suzanne, I remember you! I'm real excited too.

Last edited:
This is my only acceptance letter so far, which is so ironic considering that I haven't applied to any other school of nearly as high caliber with the exception of UNC and Harvard. More than likely I'll be attending!

Anybody in the Class of 2015 planning on getting a dual degree? I'm looking to see if there's a possibility of doing a dual with Wharton. Both Wharton and Penn Dental are rather vague about it... so if anyone knows anything or about it or are interested in getting a DMD/MBA please PM me!

so why are you guys choosing upenn? what aspects sparked your interest?
Choosing Penn for the following reasons:
1) Proximity to NYC - plenty of culture. I'm into performing arts (if I can afford them).
2) Networking as someone mentioned - good to know contacts outside of dental/healthcare, and doesn't hurt to have opps to be with world class faculty or great students
3) Dual degree possibilities - though my interest in getting an MBA as a dual degree is pretty much in limbo until both Dental and Wharton give me an approval to apply. I've always wanted to work in healthcare strategy consulting, so Penn is a good place to tap into its health management and business offerings. (PM me if anyone is also planning on this ridiculous DMD/MBA route!)
4) Great international coverage - likely that if my career goes international, the UPenn tag would mean I should never be short of a great job
5) Not teaching to the boards - I'm more interested in learning from the professors on their topics of expertise rather than just to study for an exam.

This is my only acceptance letter so far, which is so ironic considering that I haven't applied to any other school of nearly as high caliber with the exception of UNC and Harvard. More than likely I'll be attending!

Anybody in the Class of 2015 planning on getting a dual degree? I'm looking to see if there's a possibility of doing a dual with Wharton. Both Wharton and Penn Dental are rather vague about it... so if anyone knows anything or about it or are interested in getting a DMD/MBA please PM me!

Hey I wasn't aware that they had a relationship with Wharton...my understanding was that the Masters dual degrees they offered with the DMD program was not an MBA. I only heard Masters of Public Health...Masters of Community Oral Health...etc.

Hey I wasn't aware that they had a relationship with Wharton...my understanding was that the Masters dual degrees they offered with the DMD program was not an MBA. I only heard Masters of Public Health...Masters of Community Oral Health...etc.

I believe it's an unofficial dual degree program. They also said that students choosing that path usually spend an additional semester to finish everything up.

With that said, I am definitely considering it.

Hey guys,

Could someone please tell me the rough requirements for Dean's Scholarship?

I will be applying next year and my GPA is pretty good but just wondering about DAT. Are they looking for above 20's or 22's in each section? or it doesn't really matter if I even have a 19/18?

Also, I am a Canadian. Does that jeopardize my chances of getting the Dean's Scholarship?

Thanks!!

Congrats, ladies and gents, on getting into Penn! I really think you will enjoy it here. If you got the scholarship and are still debating....it really shouldn't be a question. I did not get the scholarship and still think it was worth it. PM if you have any questions.

Hey guys,

Could someone please tell me the rough requirements for Dean's Scholarship?

I will be applying next year and my GPA is pretty good but just wondering about DAT. Are they looking for above 20's or 22's in each section? or it doesn't really matter if I even have a 19/18?

Also, I am a Canadian. Does that jeopardize my chances of getting the Dean's Scholarship?

Thanks!!

I dont think they give the scholarship to canadians but im not 100 percent sure about that. GPA must be really good....i think 3.75 is the min but my class avg was 3.75! So, i would say you really need 3.85 and up but i could be wrong. While it is based on GPA, DAT should be high too....as there are plenty of applicants with high gpa and high dat in the applicant pool.

If it helps, I didn't get the scholarship and I have a 3.9 GPA and a 22 AA. Work on your ECs too. They look at the whole app for it.

If it helps, I didn't get the scholarship and I have a 3.9 GPA and a 22 AA. Work on your ECs too. They look at the whole app for it.

They definitely take a holistic view at your app. Work on everything, and have quality ECs that actually mean something to you in addition to great numbers.

Last edited:
In regard to MBA/DMD, someone asked about it on my interview day and I think Corky mentioned it was near impossible since they were both day programs. Definitely worth asking though. I am interested in the program as well so let us know!

Last edited:
I think much of it has to do with how well u do during the interview and again ur ECs....im in the same group as jon and may (23/24/24 >3.90)...again they look at alot more then just grades....personally i think ur interview has alot to do with it as well

Yea I got Deans with a 3.5 gpa and 3.3 sgpa. Penn with both accepting students and rewarding scholarships definitely looks at the whole application. For me personally, I had a lot of diverse community service experiences and leadership roles.

In regard to MBA/DMD, someone asked about it on my interview day and I think Corky mentioned it was near impossible since they were both day programs. Definitely worth asking though. I am interested in the program as well so let us know!

Congrats on getting the scholarship with those stats....however, I would not get other people's hopes up with those stats. If what you are saying is true, then they were a little bit dishonest with us as they told us that you needed a 3.75 to be considered for the scholarship. I heard a rumor that your grades don't matter for the "academic scholarship" if you are a minority. I would be very surprised if you weren't a minority and got the dean's scholarship....let alone got accepted to Penn. I'm not trying to be mean but I do think it is a little unfair of them to call it an academic scholarship with a minimum gpa requirement and then give it to people who fall way short of the requirement. Many people have perfect stats and have plenty of leadership roles. Again, congrats on getting in and getting the scholarship, I am sure you will do just fine but please don't go around boasting those scores to your classmates as they will probably get very upset.

what are your chances for deans scholarship if you have a post december interview? do they give out all 25 to pre december interviews and pass along the declined invites to other applicants? how does it work exactly?
i interviewed on friday... so what are my chances haha

what are your chances for deans scholarship if you have a post december interview? do they give out all 25 to pre december interviews and pass along the declined invites to other applicants? how does it work exactly?
i interviewed on friday... so what are my chances haha

Same as anyone else who has not received one. You will be in the pool of applicants competing for the ones that get turned down on Dec 17th.

Congrats, ladies and gents, on getting into Penn! I really think you will enjoy it here. If you got the scholarship and are still debating....it really shouldn't be a question. I did not get the scholarship and still think it was worth it. PM if you have any questions.

I have a couple of questions, but would like to ask it here because I'm sure many others have the same questions as well:

*Could you please describe or tell us what Penn has given you that makes you love it so much? Do you think these experiences are things we cannot get elsewhere?
*What are some things that we can cut out of the proposed budget? Health insurance (which is about 2.8K if we go through Penn) and textbooks (budget estimates ~ 1.1K) are two things that comes to my mind.
*Our tour guide mentioned some pretty nice but relatively pricey housing options (Domus, The Hub, The Radian, Campus Apartments). Can you attest to any of these or recommend areas or specific apartments? In terms of the budget, is 15-16K for housing and food on target, or is it low/high?
*Loupes - shall we invest these in our first year? My dentist said if I'm getting loupes to go right in and get 3.5X expanded field telescopes.

I have a couple of questions, but would like to ask it here because I'm sure many others have the same questions as well:

*Could you please describe or tell us what Penn has given you that makes you love it so much? Do you think these experiences are things we cannot get elsewhere?
*What are some things that we can cut out of the proposed budget? Health insurance (which is about 2.8K if we go through Penn) and textbooks (budget estimates ~ 1.1K) are two things that comes to my mind.
*Our tour guide mentioned some pretty nice but relatively pricey housing options (Domus, The Hub, The Radian, Campus Apartments). Can you attest to any of these or recommend areas or specific apartments? In terms of the budget, is 15-16K for housing and food on target, or is it low/high?
*Loupes - shall we invest these in our first year? My dentist said if I'm getting loupes to go right in and get 3.5X expanded field telescopes.

Hey there, its not that i loved it so much, i just think i had a much better experience here than i would have had elsewhere. Number one, the support from the staff is tremendous. If you are having a rough time in dental school i think penn is the place to be. There is help all along the way. Number two, our schedule is designed so it wouldnt overload us. First two years you have 1 test a week and it is spread out. This is really nice as you have a crazy amount of tests but its not all piled up. Number three, i know many people at other schools. Some schools have good clinic, some good didactics. It is rare to find a school that is perfect. All, I can say is that at penn you get very good clinical and didactics. If you want only didactics go to harvard or columbia and join their med school for the first 2 yrs. Columbia does a fraction of what we do clinically (if you want to know details i can tell ya later) and harvard does a fraction of what columbia does. If you want great clinical then go to temple. I think we have a solid mix of both. So i guess it depends what you are looking for in a dental school. Penn is very expensive but if you want well rounded, good support and a school that for the most part cares about its students then choose penn.

The budget...it sucks, i know. Tuition and fees is like 65 or 70 grand i think. That you have to pay. In terms of living you can have roomates, you can be a dorm councilor (i did that for a year and saved 10 grand). Books....you dont need them for the most part. They are nice to have but I only bought them for the big courses like anatomy and path. Even then, I rarely used them. But it depends how you like to study. Insurance....i am on a family plan. In all, you will spend a lot of money on school...there are little hidden fees here and there so just take out a lot of money.

Living....campus apartments is cheaper than the others you mentioned. I have a studio from them for about 775 a month. So if you have something like that and spend 2 to 3 grand on food then i would say about 12 to 13 grand.

You need loupes. They pretty much are a must. They change around pre clinic a lot but if you guys still start pre clinic and preps first year (pretty sure you do) i would get a pair. The sooner u get used to working with them the better. 3.5 is a little overkill. If you know you will be an endodontist than maybe not but for the rest of us it is too much and actually kind of annoying bec you are so zoomed in. Get the 2 or 2.5 i think is what it comes in.

Hope I helped, if you have any questions just pm me. I have a lot of close friends in other schools in this region so i think i can compare and I will try not to be biased. Again, good luck. It is very exciting to start dental school (although this wears off quickly). Wish I could say i am jealous of you guys..but im not, haha! Jk.....enjoy the ride!

Hey guys,

Thanks!!

The Dean's scholarship most definitely applies to Canadians. On my interview, Sue looked at me (the only Canadian in the room) directly in the eye and said, Canadians are eligible for the Dean's scholarship. Question solved.

Thanks for providing stats and expanding on the criteria needed for the Dean's. Very helpful!

Same as anyone else who has not received one. You will be in the pool of applicants competing for the ones that get turned down on Dec 17th.

so applicants who interviewed before december 1 have a better chance at receiving the deans scholarship than those students who interview after december 1? all accepted applicants who interviewed before december 1 have the opportunity for deans scholarship before it reaches any of the post december 1 interview applicants? how does it work exactly?

Hey all, after some thinking I decided that I'm going to The Ohio State University for dental school and giving up both my acceptance and Dean's Scholar at UPenn. Although it was hard to walk away from that money, I think I'm choosing the school where I will thrive. I hope one of you outstanding students who really want it can take advantage of that scholarship. Good luck to everyone!
PS - mailing in my form on Wednesday to decline, so it should get to Philly by Friday.

What is the maximum amount you could receive from the Penn Dental Medicine Grant?

so applicants who interviewed before december 1 have a better chance at receiving the deans scholarship than those students who interview after december 1? all accepted applicants who interviewed before december 1 have the opportunity for deans scholarship before it reaches any of the post december 1 interview applicants? how does it work exactly?

I guess you could say that. I'm not sure what is really unclear. They draw out of the pool of interviewees the people who they deem best fit for it.