Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm interviewing the 21st in the morning. And I'll also be going to the dinner and luncheon! I think I should start booking flights meow. I have yet to hear from UPenn... Not sure how that's going to go (it's a total shot in the dark). And their interviews are on Fridays starting early January. Right now I pretty much have every weekend in Jan booked, hahahahaha. Soooooooooo. I'm not sure how these flights are going to work.

I totally understand. I'm still waiting to hear from I'm two schools that haven't sent out interviews invites yet. If I get invites from them, January will be crazy!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:) Congrats to the soon to be interviewees! All the best to you as you prepare for your interviews. It's good to be a buckeye.

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed yesterday asking about the GRE scores, and for anyone else this may apply to, Sandra replied that it was "very normal" for only one of the GRE score attempts to be showing up on the portal even though I submitted multiple. She said I could reply with my scores for her double-check that they did in fact receive everything, and once I did she confirmed that they did receive both attempts and used the highest scores from each section in reviewing my application. The way she phrased it I thought implied that the review was over, so I almost had another heart attack and had to go check the portal again expecting a decline...Still pending :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that it matters, but was anyone's rejection email full of typos and grammatical errors? :p

The subject line of mine said "The Ohio State Universithy" !

I'm interviewing January 4th, anyone else? So excited!

Many congratulations to those who got interviews, best of luck to those still pending, I'm rooting for ya!

I'm on the 4th too! I have a morning interview, how about you?

I'm on the 4th too! I have a morning interview, how about you?
I'm interviewing at 2:30, I didn't want to miss anything in the itinerary. That happened to me at Iowa and I didn't want that to happen again!

Congrats on your interview! Looking forward to meeting you there, are you going to the dinner or lunch? I'll be at both!

I emailed yesterday asking about the GRE scores, and for anyone else this may apply to, Sandra replied that it was "very normal" for only one of the GRE score attempts to be showing up on the portal even though I submitted multiple. She said I could reply with my scores for her double-check that they did in fact receive everything, and once I did she confirmed that they did receive both attempts and used the highest scores from each section in reviewing my application. The way she phrased it I thought implied that the review was over, so I almost had another heart attack and had to go check the portal again expecting a decline...Still pending :eek:
Did they already sent all the invites or they do waves?

Did they already sent all the invites or they do waves?
I believe they do waves. The admissions email said that invite and decline emails would be going out from the 5th-15th.

I just receive an email as an alternate. Should I remain hopeful?

Reactions: 2 users
Me too! I just got an email about being an alternate for interview!! Even though it's just an alternate and not a guarantee, I didn't get anything close to an interview last cycle so I'm shaking in excitement (and lack of sleep from studying) haha. I think there's hope for us!

Reactions: 6 users

It isn't a rejection! I don't remember them doing anything like this in the past but stay hopeful! You didn't get rejected! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Me too! I just got an email about being an alternate for interview!! Even though it's just an alternate and not a guarantee, I didn't get anything close to an interview last cycle so I'm shaking in excitement (and lack of sleep from studying) haha. I think there's hope for us!
Congrats! I assume and alternate means that if people cancel their interviews then you get one?

I think there's definitely reason to be hopeful! Otherwise, OSU would have just rejected the alternates. I know last year things were different (no one was an alternate before interviews), but in previous years people in later rounds were definitely accepted, including some who were only invited to interviews at the last minute.

We're late enough in the season that more people might back out of interviews, too. I have an interview with OSU scheduled at the end of January, and I should hear final decisions from two schools by then. If I get into either one, I'm almost certainly going to cancel my OSU interview (the other schools are less expensive). Others might do the same.

Congrats! I assume and alternate means that if people cancel their interviews then you get one?

They might also start to open up more spots when they see how interviews go. If they know they'll reject a lot of people they interviewed, they might send out more invites. I bet you can call or email to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! For anyone interested this is the main content of what the email said:

"Over the past few months, the Office of Admission and Recruitment has had the challenging task of carefully reviewing applications. After this review, you have been placed on the alternate list for an interview. You will be notified if an interview spot becomes available and contacted immediately.

If an interview slot does not become available, your application will be declined for this interview cycle. We appreciate your patience and will keep you up to date on the status of your application."

hey guys! anyone doing the Interview on the 6th wanna explore the area after the dinner?

Second time applicant - wait listed for an interview.

I am so disappointed, last year I was granted an interview and ended up top 10 on the wait list. I did a file review, made improvements, and now I'm in a worse place than last year. I feel like I got punched in the gut.

I am so disappointed, last year I was granted an interview and ended up top 10 on the wait list. I did a file review, made improvements, and now I'm in a worse place than last year. I feel like I got punched in the gut.

I am so sorry. I can only imagine how that must feel. The good thing though is that you were waitlisted for an interview! That's a great sign. I know it sucks to not get an interview right out the gate, but I am sure you will! Is there anything you can think of that makes you think why you didn't? Some things we can't explain. Even after file reviews too, there are things we don't agree with.

Can relate to that feeling too well, it's a sucky experience. My advice is to put it out of your mind, drawing it out with hope only results in more bitterness if you don't get called off (and if you do, hey that's a wonderful surprise). Just keep taking care of yourself and working on any other projects you've got.

For what it's worth guys, there seems to be quite a few interview times left!

So I got a Penn interview but also had my Ohio interview on the same day they gave me!!!! What do I do?! and if I change my date does that affect my chances

waitlisted for an interview.I don't have exceptionally high hopes for getting an interview as I can't imagine anyone denying their interview here. I'm IS. Anyone else on the alternate list or have any idea on the chances of getting offered one?

So I got a Penn interview but also had my Ohio interview on the same day they gave me!!!! What do I do?! and if I change my date does that affect my chances

Changing dates of an interview due to conflicts won't impact your application negatively at all.

waitlisted for an interview.I don't have exceptionally high hopes for getting an interview as I can't imagine anyone denying their interview here. I'm IS. Anyone else on the alternate list or have any idea on the chances of getting offered one?

There are other alternates above and in previous years, people have been accepted after being offered interviews very late. They also added more interview dates last year and said they might do that this year, too.

People will definitely decline interviews! If I get an acceptance before the end of January I will (I'm waiting on two schools that will let me know by then), and I'm sure others will as well. Davis let people know about interviews in early November before the vast majority of schools gave out acceptances, but a bunch of people on the alternate list still got interviews. There's hope!

First-time applicant interview question. I have to update them with my GPA and this semester was uncharacteristically bad. Will I get a chance to explain myself during the interview?

First-time applicant interview question. I have to update them with my GPA and this semester was uncharacteristically bad. Will I get a chance to explain myself during the interview?

Ohio doesn't require you to send fall transcripts.. they only require final transcripts to be sent in June. So most likely you won't need to update them with your GPA. I applied to Ohio last year, and I didn't. I was worried about that too. I wouldn't worry about updating them with your GPA. Also, they most likely wouldn't ask about that in your interview. They only have about 20 minutes to interview you.

Just wanted to pop in and say I'll be doing vet-stay again this year, and will hopefully be at the welcome dinners for the last two weeks of interviews :)

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if they started inviting wait-listed applicants?

Interviewing January 4th! Hoping for the best- this is my dream school! Good luck to everyone who applied!

How does the alternate interview thing work? Apparently the deadline to sign up for interviews is today at 5pm EST, per the admissions timeline email. After today, would that signal the start of pulling from the alternate list for any unfilled interview slots?

I don't think OSU has ever said how alternates work for the interview process.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday! Any advice on how to prepare for the Ohio interview?

Hope everyone is having a good holiday! Any advice on how to prepare for the Ohio interview?

Re-read your application materials and personal statement. Anything you put into the application is fair game for questions. Look into some contemporary veterinary issues, especially global veterinary public health issues. Prepare a few sentences or bullet points about a time you were a leader and what the result of your leadership was and a time when you failed at something/something didn't go as planned and what the result was/what you learned. Those are common questions that are asked every year.

Somewhere on SDN there is a space where you can read about people's experiences interviewing at OSU and it includes some of the questions they were asked (under "Interview Feedback" on the top blue bar I believe).

Overall, don't overthink the process. It's mostly just a 30 minute conversation between you and two people. Be personable and try to show your knowledge and enthusiasm when you answer questions. I've interviewed with OSU twice now and honestly, it's not an intensely stressful experience.

Reactions: 6 users
I second what Jess Monster said.

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm a 3rd year at OSU. I'm not doing vet-stay this year but if any of you want to meet up when you interview let me know.

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts on attire for the dinner?

I can't believe next week is next week already! YAY.

Would a sweater dress or another dress of reasonable length be appropriate?

It could be depending on the sweater dress or other dress - while less formal than the interview, you still want to look professional :)

I wore black dress pants and a nice/professional-ish cream colored sweater to the dinner last year.

I'm super excited to interview at OSU this week:love:

Good luck to everyone else who is interviewing!

Reactions: 5 users
I'll be at the welcome dinner Tuesday night! Just relax and have fun, you guys will do great and the whole process will go so fast and smoothly.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh ok I am interviewing on Wednesday, so I guess we won't be there together, but good luck! I am sure you will do great :)

I'll be interviewing Wednesday too! I'm so excited!!! Wishing everyone the best of luck on their interviews!