Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about a letter from an OUHCOM alumnus?! :)

That would be AWESOME! We love seeing letters from our grads since most everyone on the committee has had a personal connection with them, and since our grads know what it takes to continue their legacy of excellence, their opinion hits a little closer to home with us.

Members don't see this ad.

That would be AWESOME! We love seeing letters from our grads since most everyone on the committee has had a personal connection with them, and since our grads know what it takes to continue their legacy of excellence, their opinion hits a little closer to home with us.

I don't think he said it specifically in his letter, so hopefully the committee/staff has a great memory :laugh:

I just submitted my secondary on August 3rd and received notification yesterday that my file is in review. I am trying to stay cool but I am fairly excited/nervous. I saw a post above alluding to the fact that it is good to "let admissions know you want to be there".

Is there a good way to do this without annoyingly emailing admissions every other day all "Hey there... So, how's it going? I really really like your program, it's just the best" I'm really interested but I don't want to be annoying or shoot myself in the foot haha.

Would this be a good point to arrange a visit to campus or have I missed the boat here? Would that be a way to demonstrate a sincere interest to admissions folks? OU (especially Columbus location) is my top choice so I'd like to get this message across if I can.

I'm at peace with my stats, 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.85 post-bacc, 33 MCAT, tons of research, volunteering, clinical experience, some unique artistic accomplishments, non-trad student (barely), IS student and lifelong Columbus resident. What can I do to demonstrate to admissions that I really want to be at OU-HCOM (if anything)? Thanks for any input at all, if only just to help ease my nerves a little bit :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha, yeah the process is pretty brutal to endure at times. It's nice to just hear from someone in a similar boat so thank you for that. Good luck to you as well, P-MAC, and to everyone else playing the waiting game. I too hope we meet at an interview.

Were you notified by email that your application was complete and under review?

Hey pawpal yes I was. I contacted them just to see if the secondary had been received and they responded by telling me that it was under review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me if we have to mail the letters of recommendation or can they be sent via virtual evals?

@ Alexandra, Virtual Evals is how I sent mine. I called (about a week later) to confirm and admissions said they received them. You could call them though, they are very friendly.

ii today via email!

IS with mediocre stats but a strong upward trend. 29 MCAT. Hoping to see some of you joining me there!

I was told so many things that it's hard to know what's correct. I'm looking to apply for an Air Force HPSP scholarship. One place, I read you can't get a scholarship if you're OOS at OU-HCOM. Another place says that you can get one, but after your service you have to return to Ohio to fulfill your 5 years. Either way, I would have to send in the contract with the secondary and there's nothing about HPSP which makes me nervous.

My girlfriend is an Air Force DO in Ohio. Talking with her, she said that I would most likely go to Dayton or San Antonio if I did primary care which is what interests me. I have no problems being in Ohio if that's where I'm stationed. I just don't want to go back if I decide to make a career out of the military.

Initially, I planned to apply to be considered for the Dublin campus so that I could be close to her. We met up in Columbus to check out the area, and I enjoyed it. She works with a DO from OU-HCOM who raves about the school. But, with all of this up in the air, the conflicting information and the looming contract, we find ourselves very hesitant about a further intent to apply.
I replied to a similar question earlier in the thread about the OOS contract and HPSP. Basically, the OOS contract is nullified if you are accepted into an HPSP program. The government gets first pick :) I am an OOS first year, HPSP recipient at OUHCOM.

Would it be okay use the same example in both essays? OR (if the same person will be reading them) just mention it in full in essay #1 and cite it in essay #2? One important event that lead me to osteopathic medicine is also a reason I would like to remain in Columbus :)

Hi, I was wondering how long did it take you to receive your secondary once your AACOMAS was release. I'm still waiting on a secondary from here.

Hi, I was wondering how long did it take you to receive your secondary once your AACOMAS was release. I'm still waiting on a secondary from here.

Released 8/23 secondary received 8/27

Hey Green Lantern, if you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your secondary? I'm trying to gauge when I might hear something from the review committee.

Early to mid July. I don't know the exact date.

I just submitted my secondary on August 3rd and received notification yesterday that my file is in review. I am trying to stay cool but I am fairly excited/nervous. I saw a post above alluding to the fact that it is good to "let admissions know you want to be there".

Is there a good way to do this without annoyingly emailing admissions every other day all "Hey there... So, how's it going? I really really like your program, it's just the best" I'm really interested but I don't want to be annoying or shoot myself in the foot haha.

Would this be a good point to arrange a visit to campus or have I missed the boat here? Would that be a way to demonstrate a sincere interest to admissions folks? OU (especially Columbus location) is my top choice so I'd like to get this message across if I can.

I'm at peace with my stats, 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 3.85 post-bacc, 33 MCAT, tons of research, volunteering, clinical experience, some unique artistic accomplishments, non-trad student (barely), IS student and lifelong Columbus resident. What can I do to demonstrate to admissions that I really want to be at OU-HCOM (if anything)? Thanks for any input at all, if only just to help ease my nerves a little bit :)

Hello! I am super happy to hear that you want to let us know how much you love us! Of course, I can't tell who you are on the site, but you are always welcome to email me directly at [email protected] or the general email account at [email protected] to keep us updated on information or just to say "Hey!". It never hurts to check in once in awhile. :)

Unfortunately, we do try to politely discourage current applicants from making personal visits for a couple of reasons. The first being that if you are selected for an interview you will get pretty much the same information and tour on interview day as you would during a personal visit. The second being that our staff (myself included) is on the road visiting schools Monday-Thursday (Fridays are interview days), so it is difficult to find time in our schedules this time of year. I'm not saying that we absolutely won't schedule time for a current applicant, but we'd prefer to schedule appointments for those not currently in the application cycle.

Happy Thursday!

Would it be okay use the same example in both essays? OR (if the same person will be reading them) just mention it in full in essay #1 and cite it in essay #2? One important event that lead me to osteopathic medicine is also a reason I would like to remain in Columbus :)

This is a great question! I can tell you that the same person who reads your first essay will also be reading everything else in your file, so a word for word example in two essays will stand out in a bad way. I've found that in general, a cut and paste of anything is not a good idea when preparing the essays. You are on the right track with a full mention in the first and a reference to the example in the second.

Hope that helps :)

Hi meep meep :). I have a question. Why is the tuition for ohio state schools increased for third and fourth years :(. Also, do most of your OOSers get residency after first year?

Hi meep meep :). I have a question. Why is the tuition for ohio state schools increased for third and fourth years :(. Also, do most of your OOSers get residency after first year?

Tuition is more in years three and four because you are in school for 12 months instead of the regular 9. OOSer's can apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes only (you would still have the contract obligation) during their first year of med school, so it is possible to pay Ohio tuition and fees for years 2-4. This link http://www.ohio.edu/admissions/residency/ explains the definition of Ohio Residency and there is a link to the Ohio Request for Residency Review.

Most of our OOS students are granted Ohio residency for tuition purposes, however, it is not an automatic approval. Students need to carefully read the application and provide the appropriate documentation.

Tuition is more in years three and four because you are in school for 12 months instead of the regular 9. OOSer's can apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes only (you would still have the contract obligation) during their first year of med school, so it is possible to pay Ohio tuition and fees for years 2-4. This link http://www.ohio.edu/admissions/residency/ explains the definition of Ohio Residency and there is a link to the Ohio Request for Residency Review.

Most of our OOS students are granted Ohio residency for tuition purposes, however, it is not an automatic approval. Students need to carefully read the application and provide the appropriate documentation.

Hey meep meep,

I sent everything into OUHCOM about a month ago. Is there any way I could find out what my status is? Thanks!

The best way to check your status is to call our toll- free number at 800.345.1560. Anyone who answers the phone can help you . : )

It did help. Thank you kindly.

Meep meep. I'm guessing you have an extremely high interview to acceptance ratio? Getting an II is the hardest part? *hoping for an ii*

Friday means Interview Day!

Good luck to those of you who have interviews today. Don't be nervous, you received an interview because OU-HCOM believes in you and wants to learn more about you.

To those of you who still have questions, everyone in Admissions is so nice! Don't hesitate to call and ask questions. They've been doing this for a while and they know how on-edge y'all are. This is a HUGE step in your life, they understand.

Also, if you're still wondering about essays and such, don't worry about sounding cliché, but always be honest. Let Admissions (at any school) know why this is the path you chose, why you belong at their school, what you have to offer to their school, what their school has to offer you (why their school is the best school for you). Let this short essay be the best representation of your heart and soul. And trust me, by the time you fill a page, it still won't be enough.

First congratulations! Sorry have to ask: how long did it take to get invite after all your materials, essays, and LORs were in? My application was complete about a week ago and when i called they told me that they had everything and it is with the selection committee. Not sure how long now till I see/hear something one way or another. Still concerned my stats are a bit low. sGPA 3.4, MCAT 31. Thoughts or comments? Best of luck with your interview!

Good luck to all those interviewing today!

The interview day went SO SO SO well! Its amazing that they spent about 4 hours selling the school to US and we only had to spend about 2 hours selling ourselves to the school! Anyone would be lucky to go here :) now we must wait till monday.....

The interview day went SO SO SO well! Its amazing that they spent about 4 hours selling the school to US and we only had to spend about 2 hours selling ourselves to the school! Anyone would be lucky to go here :) now we must wait till monday.....

Agreed. Only downside was that it was 8 hour interview day

Can you elaborate a little bit? =)