OHSU vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omega2r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cost of attendance being equal..can I get thoughts about the quality of these 2 programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt is the stronger program.

COA being equal, the only advantage OHSU might have is a more favorable location and/or proximity to friends/family.

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU is good for rural and primary care. PNW is a great place to live.

Neither school has that top 10 name recognition, which is when reputation matters most. And both are great programs.

Last edited:
Pitt has the better clinical training, research, and residencies.

Depends on what you want to do. If it's internal med/peds/etc. then I'd personally go with OHSU. If it's a competitive specialty then maybe Pitt. I agree with another poster above. Pitt is ranked higher than OHSU but neither school has "Top 10" appeal. I'd personally much rather live in Portland than Pittsburgh. And OHSU has some amazing residency programs in a few areas.

Last edited:
Neither school has that top 10 name recognition, which is when reputation matters most. And both are great programs.

As an OB, saying that Pitt and OHSU don't have name recognition makes me laugh heartily. But I am the first to admit I have not kept up with such things for medical schools in general. So I'm not helpful at all!!

Pitt is much stronger for research. Clinical training is good at both. I'm not a huge fan of either city but if I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Pittsburgh over Portland. If you're outdoorsy though, Portland is probably better.

Pitt, like UWash and UMich and WashU, has substantial clout in the medical world and substantial name brand recognition. That being said, I wouldn't go anywhere just for that, which is why you should provide more information regarding your perceived pros and cons of the two.