2022-2023 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there anyone who has attended the tour yet that can speak to the curriculum changes- are synchronous activities daily and is it still entirely P/F for preclinical?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked the financial aid office a while back, and they made it seem like aid offers were final and non-negotiable. Did you hear otherwise?
You are correct. Financial aid packages are non negotiable at Pitt. That has been the same for the past 5/6 years. My cousins were Pitt med and they only received $10,000 and admissions declined counter offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there anyone who has attended the tour yet that can speak to the curriculum changes- are synchronous activities daily and is it still entirely P/F for preclinical?
I attended. Entirely P/F and synchronous activities basically daily, most 8-12pm

• Wow
I attended. Entirely P/F and synchronous activities basically daily, most 8-12pm
thank you! since these won’t be lectures, how will we get those? are they providing recordings or just a list of concepts/objectives?

thank you! since these won’t be lectures, how will we get those? are they providing recordings or just a list of concepts/objectives?
It sounds like they still have recordings but we have to be in-person for PBLs, which I heard are VERY time consuming...

It sounds like they still have recordings but we have to be in-person for PBLs, which I heard are VERY time consuming...
yeah 4 hrs is a lot. curious how they’ll fill up the time. is it us giving a bunch of presentations in addition to case review in small groups? i’m just thinking out loud

• Hmm
Will be withdrawing my A sadly... good luck to those on the WL! There was just no way I was paying when EFC is 1.5x family income.

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone send a LOI and it not showing up on the portal? I sent one a few weeks back and it’s still not there even though I got a confirmation email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has Pitt said anything about what GPA needs to be maintained after acceptance or if specific grades are needed for remaining prereqs before matriculation?

Has Pitt said anything about what GPA needs to be maintained after acceptance or if specific grades are needed for remaining prereqs before matriculation?
Passing the prereqs is a “must” I’ve been told but no official information about GPA or specific grades

Passing the prereqs is a “must” I’ve been told but no official information about GPA or specific grades
you're correct. Pass your prereqs, confirm if you're unsure, and don't get an IA / arrested. Other than that enjoy your free time and don't take unnecessary courses, even if you "planned" on taking them on AMCAS.

Could this week be the weeeeek

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know if pitt provides us w stethoscopes or if we buy our own?

Desperate for input from anyone considered by UPitt this past cycle.

I am applying next cycle (2023-2024) and I emailed admissions for help, they cannot give me feedback until I have been submitted and verified by AMCAS. But coming from a Pitt family, I'm honestly a little panicked about their Statistics requirement, and I wanted to try to find some input.

Online states:
  • Statistics course – one half year, preferably Biostatistics (excluding Calculus). (Courses with substantial biostatistics may be accepted to meet the biostatistics requirement).
I took this course at my college. I am desperate to know whether Pitt is strict about this, because it is seriously the only thing that would automatically kick me out of the running.

PSY 210 - Statistical Methods

Practice with statistical methods especially useful in the presentation and interpretation of psychological, sociological and educational data.

Prerequisite(s): PSY 101; completion of University Core Curriculum Mathematics requirement.

Grading Basis: Graded
Units of Lecture: 3
Offered: Every Fall, Spring, and Summer

Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. identify, apply and interpret descriptive statistics.
2. identify, apply and interpret inferential statistics.
3. format, analyze and visually display data.
4. use statistics in research to describe data, summarize data and make decisions regarding experimental manipulations.

I am applying next cycle (2023-2024) and I emailed admissions for help, they cannot give me feedback until I have been submitted and verified by AMCAS. But coming from a Pitt family, I'm honestly a little panicked about their Statistics requirement, and I wanted to try to find some input.

Online states:
  • Statistics course – one half year, preferably Biostatistics (excluding Calculus). (Courses with substantial biostatistics may be accepted to meet the biostatistics requirement).
I took this course at my college. I am desperate to know whether Pitt is strict about this, because it is seriously the only thing that would automatically kick me out of the running.

Practice with statistical methods especially useful in the presentation and interpretation of psychological, sociological and educational data.

Prerequisite(s): PSY 101; completion of University Core Curriculum Mathematics requirement.

4. use statistics in research to describe data, summarize data and make decisions regarding experimental manipulations.
I'll let others jump in too, but I honestly think the course you have will satisfy Pitt's stats requirements and I do not think this will kick you out of the running.

Reactions: 1 users

Online states:

You should be fine. I used a statistics course taken through my university's sociology department and Pitt didn't give me any problems with it.

Allegheny genac genac genac the admissions committee better let me in stat

edit: real ones know (Hail to Pitt - Wikipedia)

Last edited:
  • Haha
I honestly feel like after the vibes of the recent tour, alot of people are on the fence about Pitt. The new curriculum isn't ENTIRELY convincing since they basically said they'll be open to feedback as we go and change as needed, which is kinda concerning (?) given the COA. How does everyone feel about the new curriculum? West wing was gorgeous btw

I honestly feel like after the vibes of the recent tour, alot of people are on the fence about Pitt. The new curriculum isn't ENTIRELY convincing since they basically said they'll be open to feedback as we go and change as needed, which is kinda concerning (?) given the COA. How does everyone feel about the new curriculum? West wing was gorgeous btw
i like that synchronous activities are confined to the morning at least. it’ll give me some structure to go off of and plan out the rest of the day. i am nervous about being a guinea pig but i’m trying to be optimistic that admin will take feedback (especially if voiced by the majority) seriously

i like that synchronous activities are confined to the morning at least. it’ll give me some structure to go off of and plan out the rest of the day. i am nervous about being a guinea pig but i’m trying to be optimistic that admin will take feedback (especially if voiced by the majority) seriously
I feel the same honestly, I was kinda shocked when they said almost 10-15 hours per week needs to go in to prep for case studies/modules which almost completely replaces lectures. It means we're really on our own for the bulk of self-studying using external resources, which is fine, but yeah I do hope admin takes feedback well

Reactions: 2 users
A current student gave their thoughts on the curriculum a few weeks ago. Looks like it was deleted but someone replied to them. From other current students I talked to they seemed to feel the same.
Original: “Current Pitt student here. Congrats to all those with acceptances! I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I really feel obligated to suggest you to take a real hard look at the new pitt curriculum for next year. Obviously, med school is gonna be hard no matter what and pitt has a strong reputation and good research, but I recommend you really do some soul searching about whether or not you are willing to commit to that much PBL time every single day and risk the turbulence of a new curriculum. My experience with the old curriculum really worries me for the they are planning for the incoming class.

just my two cents. good luck everyone!”
this is exactly my biggest hesitation... current students also said admin+faculty can be rather disorganized which further worries me about the new curriculum. lots of soul searching between now and May 1st :oops:

Do you know if there is everyday mandatory attendance with the new curriculum?

Do you know if there is everyday mandatory attendance with the new curriculum?
Yeah but there are “flex weeks” embedded throughout pre clinical years (like almost every 4 weeks) where there’s no cases/activities that week but you must do something like shadowing/research/volunteering, etc.

Withdrew my A! Hoping it goes to one of you hardworking, wonderful future docs. Many reasons to withdraw. I am sure there will be quite a bit of waitlist movement after April 30th. Good luck to all on the waitlist.

Reactions: 11 users
System maintenance starting in 30 minutes. Does this usually happen before portal updates? Could we expect waitlist movement?

For those concerned with the curriculum, this is from the most recent powerpoint, where "IL" is independent learning time. There's also the overall schedule of having flex weeks built in that seem to appear at least monthly, where there is time to do research projects, independent studying, remediation etc. All of the schools I was accepted to have been moving towards some sort of mandatory PBL time, which students at second look said improved their clinical reasoning skills and ability to work through and discuss a case. I've also seen a few resident/attending physicians complaining about the 'anki-fication' of medical students who are very good at memorizing and regurgitating, but lack the reasoning and the context of the things they've memorized. I, for one, look forward to benefiting from peer learning and being able to be a part of the campus and community. It really doesn't look like THAT much mandatory time, but feel free to disagree/chime in.

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.30.02 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.30.09 AM.png

Reactions: 5 users
For those concerned with the curriculum, this is from the most recent powerpoint, where "IL" is independent learning time. There's also the overall schedule of having flex weeks built in that seem to appear at least monthly, where there is time to do research projects, independent studying, remediation etc. All of the schools I was accepted to have been moving towards some sort of mandatory PBL time, which students at second look said improved their clinical reasoning skills and ability to work through and discuss a case. I've also seen a few resident/attending physicians complaining about the 'anki-fication' of medical students who are very good at memorizing and regurgitating, but lack the reasoning and the context of the things they've memorized. I, for one, look forward to benefiting from peer learning and being able to be a part of the campus and community. It really doesn't look like THAT much mandatory time, but feel free to disagree/chime in.

View attachment 370059View attachment 370060
i agree with you. i don’t retain much from traditional lecture and if i’m paying to be taught, i don’t want to shoulder all of it on my own. i like IL to a degree but there needs to be some sort of direction given so i’m happy to see them addressing what more they can do on their end

edit: is it 3 times to pass per block? like once you enter a new block ie cardio to renal the 3 times resets?

Still a lot of mandatory time compared to most other schools in this range

Reactions: 4 users

This is actually super helpful, thank you! I think I was referring more about how PBLs are being changed to incorporate shorter modules of actual learning (I think the Dean said 10-15 minutes) with a faculty member that closely follows the students in your cohort to identify areas of improvement for students. All that sounds amazing, but it’s a new way they’re approaching PBL. I think you’re ultimately right that most are making that switch like Pitt though. Thanks so much!! I feel a bit better

So is the didactic phase a true pass fail, and the clinical phase is a tiered pass fail with honors, high pass and regular pass?

just another perspective (rising m4 here) - It's easy to get hung up on things like curriculum differences at this stage—I was the same way—but most of y'all will adapt and do very well in just about any learning environment. I wasn't involved in the design of the new curriculum, but it seems like a net improvement, or at least a step in the right direction. My class started mid-2020 and people were quite angry with how little in-person time we had. Cut to mid-2021 and the same folks griped about how preposterous it was that admin made us come to campus for PBLs. I suspect you will see a similar evolution (or lack thereof) with your class. There just isn't a perfect system.

I'll give the same sentiment that I give in DMs—if you have the luxury of choice, make your school decision on things other than curriculum, namely location, cost, and ~prestige~. There's a decent chance you'll ankify yourself anyway (someone buy those boomers a beer for even knowing what anki is).

Reactions: 8 users
How do you guys think the waitlist movement will be this year? Is the new curriculum discussion any indication or will it still be pretty nonexistent like last year?
Haha we'll see, hard to tell. Not getting my hopes up

How do you guys think the waitlist movement will be this year? Is the new curriculum discussion any indication or will it
How do you guys think the waitlist movement will be this year? Is the new curriculum discussion any indication or will it still be pretty nonexistent like last year?
The waitlist is a hard place to be, specially when one knows the hardwork and dedication it took. There are several comments by current med students regarding the Pitt waitlist and what Pitt likes to see from waitlist list students. If you sent an intent letter- great. Any publications, community outreach projects- even better. Seems like Pitt likes to see research. Heard from a few that were at second look that Pitt was very conservative in their admissions this year. Plus I didn't get any financial aid. I am sure there are others who have multiple acceptances that will factor in financial aid packages. I am sure there will be waitlist movement in May/ June. Historically ( last year was an exception, I think) Pitt is not a bad waitlist to be on. I've heard from current Pitt med that 20-25% students come from the waitlist. I have a relative that got off the waitlist in late June.

Give your best shot. Send any updates. Be positive and most of all be proud of yourself. Being waitlisted or rejected is not just you. Med school admissions have become very random and a huge numbers game. Plus every applicant is unique and competitive. Don't give up hope.

Wish all of you waitlisters the best of luck. You deserve that acceptance!!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
Best of luck to all waitlisters. Have a good weekend and hopefully good news will come next week.

Reactions: 3 users
The waitlist is a hard place to be, specially when one knows the hardwork and dedication it took. There are several comments by current med students regarding the Pitt waitlist and what Pitt likes to see from waitlist list students. If you sent an intent letter- great. Any publications, community outreach projects- even better. Seems like Pitt likes to see research. Heard from a few that were at second look that Pitt was very conservative in their admissions this year. Plus I didn't get any financial aid. I am sure there are others who have multiple acceptances that will factor in financial aid packages. I am sure there will be waitlist movement in May/ June. Historically ( last year was an exception, I think) Pitt is not a bad waitlist to be on. I've heard from current Pitt med that 20-25% students come from the waitlist. I have a relative that got off the waitlist in late June.

Give your best shot. Send any updates. Be positive and most of all be proud of yourself. Being waitlisted or rejected is not just you. Med school admissions have become very random and a huge numbers game. Plus every applicant is unique and competitive. Don't give up hope.

Wish all of you waitlisters the best of luck. You deserve that acceptance!!
Made my entire week

Reactions: 3 users