2021-2022 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we think there's any chance of movement later this month?
They said if there’s any, it’ll be towards the later part of the month

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
the info we’re being given seems a bit conflicting, which indicates they truly don’t know much either. I don’t know if it’s any consolation to anyone but this doesn’t seem completely over yet (or perhaps that’s me grasping for straws)

Reactions: 1 users
I am trying my best to be optimistic, but it sounds like they are over their target of 150. Gonna need a miracle at this point. Just have to hope people get in from their top choice waitlists and drop Pitt :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder why in previous years they accepted as many as 65 off the waitlist but this year there was a sudden turnaround?
it seems they got scared bc of their big wave of As last yr in march. they didn’t want to do that this yr bc of overenrollment. but it just worked out that thus far, everyone wants to go to pitt. the only way there will be any movement is if all of a sudden a bunch of ppl get off WL at other schools but i mean, there’s rly not that many more schools better than pitt so the chances of movement or rly probably not great it feels 😭😭i’m also highly curious as to how PSTP will factor like if it rly does come down to a few spots opening up bc ppl get off WL elsewhere, will priority be given to PTSP? or did they do that PTSP WL movement this march for a few ppl as the buffer in this scenario so that they already are above by a little bit?

I am so sad :-( I had a handful of early interviews and was deferred/waitlisted on all of them. It stings when you were confident on your app, got lots of great feedback, and things just don't work out. That's life!
actually same i genuinely feel like i have been gaslit this entire cycle and now we gotta start AGAIN like today ($&);$)&(3)&;3)&;32);& this is so messed up

Looking at last year, WL movement was nonexistent after a GroupMe size of ~140. This year is currently sitting at 200. Even if we give a generous 20 member buffer to account for members that are upperclassmen, we'll still need a miracle

actually same i genuinely feel like i have been gaslit this entire cycle and now we gotta start AGAIN like today ($&);$)&(3)&;3)&;32);& this is so messed up
LOL lowkey (highkey?) gaslit, yes absolutely. I've been slowly thinking of career changing as I gained some other interests, and it makes me wonder how this process affects people to not apply? My thoughts are racing LOL

• Sad
  • Care
LOL lowkey (highkey?) gaslit, yes absolutely. I've been slowly thinking of career changing as I gained some other interests, and it makes me wonder how this process affects people to not apply? My thoughts are racing LOL
nooooo haha we got this 😭😭 to stay remotely sane i find it’s good to just pat yourself on your back for even getting this far (esp w a school like pitt!) next cycle will be better i’m sure ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹or at least it better be bc i don’t know if i can do this for 3 yrs in a row 💀

So is our current understanding that they have admitted too many applicants and thus have already filled out their class? So there are only a few people that may get off the waitlist if those admitted applicants are accepted off of waitlists to other schools that they prefer?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i would think the majority of withdrawals have already happened since it's past the pte date

Why dont they just force drop these people who haven’t PTE’d yet?
there probably isn't anyone who hasn't planned to enroll yet, the new withdrawals we're talking about would be people getting off waitlists at other schools and choosing those over pitt

there probably isn't anyone who hasn't planned to enroll yet, the new withdrawals we're talking about would be people getting off waitlists at other schools and choosing those over pitt
Yeah I’m curious to know if the number of students their referring to is inclusive of those that have both committed or plan to enroll. That would definitely impact the number of potential WL spots there may be

Why dont they just force drop these people who haven’t PTE’d yet?
They might as a courtesy give people a few days to be like "oh crap I forgot!" and choose PTE before they formally rescind acceptances? One school I was accepted at technically required deposit by April 30th and people who forgot panicked and called admissions and they told them they'd give a formal warning/notice before rescinding anyone's acceptance and that there was a grace period. Maybe I'm just being desperately optimistic but it's still so early after the required PTE date

They might as a courtesy give people a few days to be like "oh crap I forgot!" and choose PTE before they formally rescind acceptances? One school I was accepted at technically required deposit by April 30th and people who forgot panicked and called admissions and they told them they'd give a formal warning/notice before rescinding anyone's acceptance and that there was a grace period. Maybe I'm just being desperately optimistic but it's still so early after the required PTE date
It is early 🥲 I wonder though how many students would be holding on to their multiple acceptances past this day even if schools allow it? Like I would be so excited to just choose a school….if anyone wants to pull me off the waitlist 🫠.

Reactions: 3 users
Homie do me a favor and drop this in the Pitt groupme so more people drop their seat 💀
LOL! My honest thoughts reading this through a couple times now is that I appreciate the student's honesty so much. Even though we all know med school is hard af and can imagine the reality of it, there are times that it can be too often romanticized. And it seems like the student is touching upon this when talking about the "sticker price" of schools. Reading this made me reflect on how my own undergrad institution is similar in so many ways, but I've taken so many positive experiences away from my time here, too. I know that it sounds corny, but we are really the next generation to potentially fill these same administrative seats as educators and clinicians. Let's be kind and let's do our best to make the change we want :D

Honestly, that's what it feels like
Dang, I've heard just silence from my 4 WL schools. It would at least be nice to hear about people getting off WL at some so that I at least know...what are the odds of no WL movement happening (at least on sdn) at any of these school :S

• Care
FWIW, I called recently and they have said that they are processing withdrawals and that the class is not necessarily full, but they do not know what waitlist movement will look like. They also said that if it does occur, it will likely be at the end of the month.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
FWIW, I called recently and they have said that they are processing withdrawals and that the class is not necessarily full, but they do not know what waitlist movement will look like. They also said that if it does occur, it will likely be at the end of the month.
That’s better than hearing there will be no movement :) here’s to hoping that there are students who haven’t formally withdrew yet and those who will get into somewhere they want more 😉

do we think they’re just saying that or maybe they rly gave an extra grace period for ppl to formally withdraw who decided to commit to other schools? hoping it’s a trickle down effect where ppl may have got off WL at other schools and decided to withdraw over the past wks and in the coming wks…but then why don’t the group me numbers reflect that hahaha 😭

do we think they’re just saying that or maybe they rly gave an extra grace period for ppl to formally withdraw who decided to commit to other schools? hoping it’s a trickle down effect where ppl may have got off WL at other schools and decided to withdraw over the past wks and in the coming wks…but then why don’t the group me numbers reflect that hahaha 😭
I don’t think there’s a date you have to withdraw your application, only a CTE day depending the school right? So it makes sense that students will hold several acceptances “just because”.

I don’t think there’s a date you have to withdraw your application, only a CTE day depending the school right? So it makes sense that students will hold several acceptances “just because”.
Technically this is true. If you CTE at one school and have multiple acceptances, you don’t necessarily have to withdraw from other schools but once you hit CTE the other schools are notified and can withdraw you.

Technically this is true. If you CTE at one school and have multiple acceptances, you don’t necessarily have to withdraw from other schools but once you hit CTE the other schools are notified and can withdraw you.
Ohhh, I mean i wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t notified as this process is already so wack from the start :p

Disappointed about the lack of movement, but I guess there isn’t anything else to do but wait. Is it worth calling again to ask for an update on whether waitlist movement will occur?
We should've all rotated and taken turns to call for updates lol! I'm keeping my mind off of all my WLs and just doing things I enjoy. Maybe in July I'll start planning for future plans, but I'm taking it easy for now and I hope you join me:)

• Love
  • Care
I contacted them again today, and they repeated that they are currently at class size and will be extending offers to waitlisted applicants as seats open up.

• Care
Thanks for the updates. I hope we all get off this list because you guys are great so far

Ya’ll Ik I said I’m focusing on things I enjoy rn and I really am, this is the most stable and happy I’ve been in a couple years! At the same time I’m literally checking the group me #s every other day pls don’t tell me I’m the only one 😂

Ya’ll Ik I said I’m focusing on things I enjoy rn and I really am, this is the most stable and happy I’ve been in a couple years! At the same time I’m literally checking the group me #s every other day pls don’t tell me I’m the only one 😂
Wait, how are you checking the groupme numbers? Have you been accepted/ know someone that is? I thought you were part of our lovely WL crew.

Wait, how are you checking the groupme numbers? Have you been accepted/ know someone that is? I thought you were part of our lovely WL crew.
I am in the WL crew! I just saw the group me invite link and when u click on it u can see the total # of members. It means basically nothing but that’s my only metric of movement haha……

Hate to admit I'm totally doing the same thing 😭 also at the same time trying to get back on the personal statement grind.. Hang in there everyone!!

I wish they’d just tell us that they’re not admitting WL this year at this point lol. Trying to wait but it feels futile. Feels like they’re still over class size if anything.

Reactions: 3 users
I wish they’d just tell us that they’re not admitting WL this year at this point lol. Trying to wait but it feels futile. Feels like they’re still over class size if anything.
I don’t want to bother the admissions team because I know they field a lot of questions, and I’ve already called recently, but having a definitive answer would be nice.

Seeing WL movement on June 11 in 2019 thread is not good for my attempt at finding closure with my chances here 🥲

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Plenty of movement happening in the waitlist support thread. That June 11th is sounding pretty realistic to me. Work on the contingency plan but it’s not over yet

What movement?
There’s been a handful of people stating they got off waitlists which is very exciting! But also that thread includes people from all over the country so hard to extrapolate anything from it really.

Today is one of those days I haven’t been able to accomplish much at work because my mind racing:) pitt, pls call or email me, send me a dm…a sign from above…ANYTHING

• Care
There’s been a handful of people stating they got off waitlists which is very exciting! But also that thread includes people from all over the country so hard to extrapolate anything from it really.

Today is one of those days I haven’t been able to accomplish much at work because my mind racing:) pitt, pls call or email me, send me a dm…a sign from above…ANYTHING
Where is this thread? I haven't seen any waitlist movement on this thread.

Has anyone called recently? I did about 2-3 weeks ago, but I’m wondering if anyone has heard anything more recently