Oklahoma State c/o 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's are the interactions with classmates like? Is it (for lack of a better term...) dog-eat-dog where everyone is out to be the best in the class or do students group up for studying and what not?
I want to say that it’s not dog-eat-dog, but there are specific individuals in my class who... don’t play nice. But you figure those out really quickly. As of right now everyone’s just trying to survive the semester, so people kind of just figure out what studying works for them. So we’re not really competitive- or if we are “competitive”, we’re not sabotagingly competitive. The class of 2020 is also not sabotagingly competitive from (they’re... very close)

My really good friends in vet school came from me being at school one night in the group study area and tagging along while they were studying histo. Some people study by themselves, myself, I group study! After about two or three weeks, you’ll start to develop habits and figure out if you want to group study. Honestly though, some of my classmates are my favorite people, and we’re all trying to make sure we graduate!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to say that it’s not dog-eat-dog, but there are specific individuals in my class who... don’t play nice. But you figure those out really quickly. As of right now everyone’s just trying to survive the semester, so people kind of just figure out what studying works for them. So we’re not really competitive- or if we are “competitive”, we’re not sabotagingly competitive. The class of 2020 is also not sabotagingly competitive from (they’re... very close)

My really good friends in vet school came from me being at school one night in the group study area and tagging along while they were studying histo. Some people study by themselves, myself, I group study! After about two or three weeks, you’ll start to develop habits and figure out if you want to group study. Honestly though, some of my classmates are my favorite people, and we’re all trying to make sure we graduate!
Cool. I feel like a lot of my undergraduate experience has been pretty relaxed and I figured that there was a mix of competitiveness when you get to the graduate level, but it's comforting to hear that not everyone is out to sabotage each other! Thanks for taking time to give such a detailed response!

Reactions: 1 user
Cool. I feel like a lot of my undergraduate experience has been pretty relaxed and I figured that there was a mix of competitiveness when you get to the graduate level, but it's comforting to hear that not everyone is out to sabotage each other! Thanks for taking time to give such a detailed response!
Yeah it’s nice as well. With everything, initially approach with caution, but I haven’t witnessed direct sabotaging, which is good.

Hahaha you’re very welcome. If you have anymore questions, do not hesitate to ask. I’m from the DFW area and I’m quite aware of the differences and whatnot

(If I do this, I technically don’t have to study more, right?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it’s nice as well. With everything, initially approach with caution, but I haven’t witnessed direct sabotaging, which is good.

Hahaha you’re very welcome. If you have anymore questions, do not hesitate to ask. I’m from the DFW area and I’m quite aware of the differences and whatnot

Sounds good!

(haha, YUP. Should I be studying Cell Bio right now?......maybe. But despite that fact...here I am.)

We managed not to lose a single person second semester, but from what I heard we were the first class to not lose anyone in years. Phys 3 almost always takes some prisoners. But we lost four first semester, unfortunately you guys will probably drop a few, but I don't think they'll add more seats beyond what you started with for transfers. Our class filled the vacant seats with transfers, but none above the 88 as a whole we started with.
Yeah luckily for your class, they realized they couldn’t lose that many students anymore so the number lost (due to grades) should be much lower from now on! Which is great for our students but not as good for the transfers I guess lol. Not as many spots for them :p

Yeah luckily for your class, they realized they couldn’t lose that many students anymore so the number lost (due to grades) should be much lower from now on! Which is great for our students but not as good for the transfers I guess lol. Not as many spots for them :p
We’ve lost a good deal. :( we’ll have a high number of transfers- 5 now, and no one has actually failed out yet...

We’ve lost a good deal. :( we’ll have a high number of transfers- 5 now, and no one has actually failed out yet...
Are you in the c/o 2021? If so, I thought you guys lost some to medical leave and others chose to leave so I think that’s a little different than failing but you guys have a good shot for next semester. Most people that are going to decide to leave will do it first semester. You guys will be okay! I have faith! :)

Are you in the c/o 2021? If so, I thought you guys lost some to medical leave and others chose to leave so I think that’s a little different than failing but you guys have a good shot for next semester. Most people that are going to decide to leave will do it first semester. You guys will be okay! I have faith! :)
Oh yeah- I’m c/o 2021. Couple were medical leave, couple choose to leave, it makes me sad!

But we’re basically the 101 Dalmatians now, so there’s always a bright side. :laugh:

I'm an out of state but I attend OK State for Grad School. I'm assuming I probably still couldn't get an interview?

I'm an out of state but I attend OK State for Grad School. I'm assuming I probably still couldn't get an interview?
If you're applying as an in-state student you get an interview. I'm guessing you're not an Oklahoma resident?

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope I still claim residency in Florida. Sucks because i still attend graduate school here. oh well!

Nope I still claim residency in Florida. Sucks because i still attend graduate school here. oh well!
Yeah Oklahoma has some funky residency regulations when it comes to attending universities from what I understand.

Yeah Oklahoma has some funky residency regulations when it comes to attending universities from what I understand.

Nah. You just have to have actually lived here working a full time job one year minimum prior to the start of year 1 if accepted.

Yeah oklahoma’s residency laws are kinda dumb. I went to undergrad and it wasn’t enough- worse is that once you do get accepted, you can’t switch to IS unless you get married to an OK resident I’ve asked my friend to marry me twice now. He said no. Jerk.

Reactions: 1 users
For OOS..Does anyone have any idea when we will start to hear back? I was just curious

For OOS..Does anyone have any idea when we will start to hear back? I was just curious
Me! Me! Me! I know!!! (roughly)

So last year I got an email about this time (December 6th) giving future dates. Last year, January 30th was the first round of cut day/ IS interview notification day. Late February/ early March (Feb. 27th for me) they announced everything- IS and OOS at the same time via email!

Hope it helps! Lemme know if you have anymore questions, especially if they’re OkState related!

So last year I got an email about this time (December 6th) giving future dates. Last year, January 30th was the first round of cut day/ IS interview notification day. Late February/ early March (Feb. 27th for me) they announced everything- IS and OOS at the same time via email!

Hope it helps! Lemme know if you have anymore questions, especially if they’re OkState related!
Great, thanks for chiming in!

Not sure if you missed it or not, but on the 1st, we got the timeline email.

image.png

So, question. I'm not sure you guys can answer, but it's worth a shot! And I don't want to bother the vet school right now in the middle of the application cycle for next year, as I will be applying for 2019. I was an undergrad at OkState for two years. Then, silly me, went and decided to marry my Oklahoma resident, high school sweetheart, who then decided to join the Air Force. (Eh, love.) Then the Air force decided to station him here in North Dakota, where the air hurts your face. I have transferred to school in North Dakota and am finishing up my undergrad. I am wondering where that lives me resident wise? Can I still be an IS student for Oklahoma? Do you think they will see that half of my undergrad was completed at OSU? I am not allowed to claim residency in North Dakota, it seems. I am just wondering where it leaves me, I suppose. Thanks, yall.

So, question. I'm not sure you guys can answer, but it's worth a shot! And I don't want to bother the vet school right now in the middle of the application cycle for next year, as I will be applying for 2019. I was an undergrad at OkState for two years. Then, silly me, went and decided to marry my Oklahoma resident, high school sweetheart, who then decided to join the Air Force. (Eh, love.) Then the Air force decided to station him here in North Dakota, where the air hurts your face. I have transferred to school in North Dakota and am finishing up my undergrad. I am wondering where that lives me resident wise? Can I still be an IS student for Oklahoma? Do you think they will see that half of my undergrad was completed at OSU? I am not allowed to claim residency in North Dakota, it seems. I am just wondering where it leaves me, I suppose. Thanks, yall.
I would definitely call the school. Search their website for what department you call about residency questions because it most likely is the main university versus the vet school who would determine residency. I’m not sure if being a previous resident will make you a resident still or not and I’m also not sure how residency works with your husband being in the Air Force and if you would be eligible for IS tuition because he’s in the military or not, but it’s definitely worth calling soon and asking about. The university will be able to give you the most direct answer and the official answer, whereas everyone here it more than likely would be a guess.

Definitely call at least. They’re busy, but that’s a relatively easy question for them to answer/ they will know who to direct you to if they don’t know.

Personally, I think it makes you a OK resident- especially since you married one, but I’m not the one that holds the power. :laugh:

Can I ask, Is this the real OSU Osteopathic Med's Class of 2022 page? Because class of 2021 had a wayyy bigger interaction here. If not, could someone please direct me to the real thread?

Can I ask, Is this the real OSU Osteopathic Med's Class of 2022 page? Because class of 2021 had a wayyy bigger interaction here. If not, could someone please direct me to the real thread?
Did you try looking in the pre-med fourms? I think they have a whole section where it list each individual school

You're on the Veterinary forums so this is definitely not what you're looking for.

This is for the Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine, I did a quick search on SDN but didn't find one for osteopathic med class of 2022. Try perusing through the pre-med forum maybe?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Oh haha that makes so much sense. And yes I did find the Medical school forum. Thanks y'all!

Do any of you know anything about the Arkansas contract seat? Like how do they decide who gets the seat o_O

Do any of you know anything about the Arkansas contract seat? Like how do they decide who gets the seat o_O
I would definitely call the admissions/ student services and ask. I believe that they just pick the best applicant from Arkansas and offer them the IS tuition, and if there's other Arkansas people they like they offer them regular OOS tuition.

But like I said, I'd contact them.
Fight to the death
That's what I heard. I think it's in a "Thunderdome" type scenario if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
A couple of my friends like to joke around that if there was a fight, and the winner got A's in all their classes/ all their debt paid off, that I would take no prisoners and win, hands down. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
My friend had the Arkansas contract seat for the class of 2017. She talked to administration about it and said it was first come first serve, and have to wait until you're accepted to confirm it.

My friend had the Arkansas contract seat for the class of 2017. She talked to administration about it and said it was first come first serve, and have to wait until you're accepted to confirm it.

When you say first come first serve do you mean that the first person to accept the contract seat gets it? Or that the first Arkansas resident to apply gets it?

When you say first come first serve do you mean that the first person to accept the contract seat gets it? Or that the first Arkansas resident to apply gets it?
Hmm not sure. I'd talk to admissions ASAP to find out.

I am also an Arkansas resident so I am curious as to what they said! Did they reply to you?

They never replied to the email so I ended up calling them. I talked to Anna and she said that they basically pick the “top competing Arkansas resident”. So they look at your grades, your experience, etc. She said they will notify whoever gets the seat when they send out acceptance letters.

But, I have a friend who is also an Arkansas resident who do their early admission thing and she will be in the class of 2022. I talked to her also and she said that when she was accepted (like 3 years ago) that she was told by OSU that because she did the early admission program that she would have priority over other Arkansas residents for the contract seat. But she doesn’t know for sure yet whether or not she will get the seat!

They never replied to the email so I ended up calling them. I talked to Anna and she said that they basically pick the “top competing Arkansas resident”. So they look at your grades, your experience, etc. She said they will notify whoever gets the seat when they send out acceptance letters.

But, I have a friend who is also an Arkansas resident who do their early admission thing and she will be in the class of 2022. I talked to her also and she said that when she was accepted (like 3 years ago) that she was told by OSU that because she did the early admission program that she would have priority over other Arkansas residents for the contract seat. But she doesn’t know for sure yet whether or not she will get the seat!
Okay thanks! Did you ask whether or not they will pull AR residents into the OOS pool if they do not get the contract seat?

Okay thanks! Did you ask whether or not they will pull AR residents into the OOS pool if they do not get the contract seat?

I didn’t think to ask that but they didn’t say anything to make me think that they only accept the one Arkansas resident. I’m sure Anna would have said something about that if that were the case!