Oklahoma State c/o 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS accepted! Will most likely be declining so I hope one of you gets my seat!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang. They were on the ball this year making decisions. haha

Congrats everyone! Alternates remember that most OOS are placed there til spring grades can be looked at, then they start pulling very deep. Hang in there! :biglove:

I will be a 4th year when you come in, and I have been here a good while thanks to a couple years of PhD work, so ask away with any questions you may have. Cdo can answer your first year class questions better since a few things have changed since my time there though. lol

Reactions: 2 users
Dang. They were on the ball this year making decisions. haha

Congrats everyone! Alternates remember that most OOS are placed there til spring grades can be looked at, then they start pulling very deep. Hang in there! :biglove:

I will be a 4th year when you come in, and I have been here a good while thanks to a couple years of PhD work, so ask away with any questions you may have. Cdo can answer your first year class questions better since a few things have changed since my time there though. lol
Cdo also has a really big test on Tuesday that she hasn’t studied enough for, so forgive her if she’s not active all that often. :laugh:

Parasit! Aaaaaall of the roundworms.

And then path on Friday, followed by 2 more the week after

Coo. You got dis!!! The tests start thinning down after first year luckily. haha Down to three or four exams for most classes. Third year is only that. I guess they have faith that people keep up with the material on their own by this point, or at least have mostly mastered the expert overnight technique. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted OOS, now I need to visit Stillwater again to see how it stacks against Manhattan KS and Columbia MO. Any current students have any comments on Stillwater? Possibly against other places?

Accepted OOS, now I need to visit Stillwater again to see how it stacks against Manhattan KS and Columbia MO. Any current students have any comments on Stillwater? Possibly against other places?
@cdoconn

(But also is Mizzou gonna be cheapest because you can get IS tuition after the first year? def take that into account because less loans is a good thing)

You will get a great education at any of these institutions. $$$ should be your #1 deciding factor. After that. OKState and KS are traditional 3+1 lecture:clinics, while Mizzou is 2+2 format.

I chose to come here because I live cheaply and OKstate produces excellent all around vets ready for practice. I have bounced around like crazy in what my focus has been, from mixed, to research, to anatomic path, to SA and exotics. We have many equine people here as well. So I have a nice playground for anything I want for a cheap price tag.

Stillwater is very small, but pleasant. Overall it is very pretty and I have no issues with it. There isn't much to take on during school anyway, so even though I will be excited to get back to a coast when I graduate, this has been a perfect place to be a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you visit first and report back? I'm running out of traveling funds like WOAH. I liked K state alot.

Coo. You got dis!!! The tests start thinning down after first year luckily. haha Down to three or four exams for most classes. Third year is only that. I guess they have faith that people keep up with the material on their own by this point, or at least have mostly mastered the expert overnight technique. :)
I’m already working on my overnight technique, in fact I used it on comparative anatomy just yesterday. There’s still a lot of, “Why do you do this to yourself?” grumbling at 4 AM but I’m working on it. Acceptance is key. :thumbup:

OOS Accepted!!! So excited! :) but I will wait to hear back from my IS before deciding.

I will definitely go to my instate due to cost if am lucky enough to be accepted to Mizzou, but in the case of not being accepted its between Manhattan and Stillwater. (I have my IS interview march 10th, hear back around April 1st, patience is being tested for sure). I work with 9 doctors, 6 of which went to OSU and they all had a great time, but they all also were from OK. I currently go to school at the U of A in Fayetteville AR, and I thrive in the town here so I'm just worried about some minor culture shock.

Can you visit first and report back? I'm running out of traveling funds like WOAH. I liked K state alot.
Yes! I'll be going with a group of friends for the Open house on Apr 7th, and we're going to stay the night and go see the night life afterwards. I'll let you know!

@cdoconn

(But also is Mizzou gonna be cheapest because you can get IS tuition after the first year? def take that into account because less loans is a good thing)
found this in an earlier post:

So a lot of the things I don’t like are just part of the things associated with being in vet school.

• Small class size (in relation to other schools)
  • Very low COL in Stillwater. Not much to do most of the time besides football games and bars, but you’re so busy studying there’s not really a need for that.
  • Really nice professors (our anatomy professor is the nicest lady I’ve met- she’s essentially Dr. Mom. And while she’s really kind and helpful, she still does make you learn)
  • Also, the TA’s (especially for anatomy) are very knowledgeable and helpful. The night before the last anatomy exam, one of the TA’s came around at like 11:30pm for a minute, to see if we had any questions that he could clarify.
  • They ease you in to the program they best they can. Your first semester, while you are taking 18 hours, 4 of those are easier classes (Ethics and Zootechnology- a clinical skills type course.
  • Easily accessible hospital that you have ID access to 24/7. With this, you can go over to the hospital and get your mind off school for a little bit. (We have a resident cow named Daisy who enjoys our attention.)
  • If you’re interested in food/ large animal, equine, or small animal, there’s plenty of opportunities for you. Opportunities for exotics are fewer, but you’re also in the middle of the country. There’s a zoo/ exotics/ wildlife club though that seems to satisfy my exotics based classmates.
  • Lots of clubs! There’s practically a club for everything, and they do wetlabs! (And they’ll let nonmembers join in on wetlabs for like $5. Very worth it!)
  • Because we recently increased our clas size to 106, they’re building a new classroom building which is proving to be interesting. They’ve been taking student’s opinions all semester long, so they plan to have that open by Fall 2019.
Dislikes:
  • Because we recently increased our class size, some things can be tight. It’s not unbearable, but it can get annoying at times- especially in the Histology room. Anatomy isn’t bad because you have 4 people to a dog, and you rotate 1 person out every lab time to look at bones/ rads/ wet specimens.
  • Not many options for food on this side of campus. There used to be a food truck, but it didn’t get enough revenue to be sustainable, apparently, so they moved it.
  • With SAVMA, you have to be a SAVMA member to join any clubs/ go to any wetlabs. It annoys some people, but it doesn’t necessarily bother me.
  • Parking was really bad at the beginning of the year, but as people have stopped showing up to class, it’s gotten a lot better. :laugh:
So these are the things I can think of off the top of my head, I’ll probably add more to the list, but I don’t have a reason that I would be like “OMG DONT COME HERE!” (Especially not for you, ski ski. ;) )

OOS accepted, but will be declining to go to UF, my IS school.

OOS accepted! I will be declining however since I got in to my IS school yesterday! Congratulations to everyone :soexcited:

Congrats to everyone!! Definitely exciting times and something you'll have to hold on to thru the next 4 years to keep pushing yourself.

OOS accepted and accepting! c/o 2022!

I will definitely go to my instate due to cost if am lucky enough to be accepted to Mizzou, but in the case of not being accepted its between Manhattan and Stillwater. (I have my IS interview march 10th, hear back around April 1st, patience is being tested for sure). I work with 9 doctors, 6 of which went to OSU and they all had a great time, but they all also were from OK. I currently go to school at the U of A in Fayetteville AR, and I thrive in the town here so I'm just worried about some minor culture shock.

I mean, there is the strip with plenty of bar options and many of my classmates do Trivia every Thurs night at the 19th hole, so there is that. If you really have an itch, OKC and Tulsa are 1.5 drive for scratching it. haha

Also if you like sports, students get cheap tickets to see the Cowboys/girls and is quite the community event, especially for football.

Hi, I'm new to SDN. I see most everyone posting is OoS and a lot are saying the aren't coming so things look optimistic for OoS alternates but do any of the current students know if there is that good of a chance for an IS alternate? (I know they don't tell you where you are on the list, but that's the boat I'm in)

Hi, I'm new to SDN. I see most everyone posting is OoS and a lot are saying the aren't coming so things look optimistic for OoS alternates but do any of the current students know if there is that good of a chance for an IS alternate? (I know they don't tell you where you are on the list, but that's the boat I'm in)

I don't know that IS moves much. Like most schools, it is much more rare for a resident to decline IS tuition, especially one so low as OK. All I can say is if you are still finishing up a semester, do your best as grades are looked at closely when it comes to who gets pulled off. Good luck!! :luck:

I just received an email to an open house, although my status is alternate. Is this normal? I am waitlisted at another school and haven't been invited to an open house there.

I just received an email to an open house, although my status is alternate. Is this normal? I am waitlisted at another school and haven't been invited to an open house there.
Yeah it’s normal! They have a meeting/ seminar for accepted and alternate students as well as a facilities tour so, if you have multiple offers, you can see if it’s the school for you!

So I just got my OOS acceptance and I think I'll be taking it unless I hear from one other school that I'm on the alternate list for.
I saw an earlier post but I wanted to get as many opinions as I could. What are the facilities and faculty like? (The only reason I ask is because I've found pretty big differences between schools. KSU and WSU had amazing buildings, big classrooms with large table/desks for each student where as Missouri was a lot less equipped and much older) Do you like the lecture halls? Are the professors pretty good in general.

So I just got my OOS acceptance and I think I'll be taking it unless I hear from one other school that I'm on the alternate list for.
I saw an earlier post but I wanted to get as many opinions as I could. What are the facilities and faculty like? (The only reason I ask is because I've found pretty big differences between schools. KSU and WSU had amazing buildings, big classrooms with large table/desks for each student where as Missouri was a lot less equipped and much older) Do you like the lecture halls? Are the professors pretty good in general.
Have you checked out the “Factors” thread? There’s a lot of good info there. I’ll also answer questions once I sit down to a lovely mug of hot chocolate since this random ice storm cancelled class/ our parasitology exam!

Have you checked out the “Factors” thread? There’s a lot of good info there. I’ll also answer questions once I sit down to a lovely mug of hot chocolate since this random ice storm cancelled class/ our parasitology exam!
I haven’t. I’ll take a look at that.

That would be great! Just let me know when you have some time!

Ours is an older set up as well, but they will be making the lecture halls take place in a building currently being built, so that is to be determined. The faculty here is pretty great. We are in the process of hiring a number of new people though to fill some holes with a decent number retiring these past few years and upcoming. They are always helpful however, and I learn something different from each of them. I think I said it numerous times now, but OKstate does a great job covering GP for food animal, equine, and SA plus exotics. If you have a special interest, you can find surgery, cardio, ophtho and internal med here. We have four three week blocks, five if you want to use vacation block, for pursuing interests as well for fourth year. We have long summers too to get plenty of experience if you so choose.

I saw you asked about class size issues in the hospital, but most our services are pretty busy, so I doubt it is a problem. Up until this last one, we have a bunch of Rossies and Georgies that complete their rotations here, so if they need to cut down, that is where accommodations can be made. There will always be days when it seems slow, and others where there just aren't enough hands ever. lol

I am pleased with my time here. I feel like I have learned what I needed, had plenty of opportunities to hone interests, and think our students and faculty are enjoyable people for the most part. There's always one or two, but that's anywhere. haha

I just declined my seat. Best of luck everyone! :)

How do I find the "Factors" thread? I tried doing a search, but it didn't pull anything up.

I don't know that it will help you anyway. My post from there is now outdated, and cdo posted her current thoughts, but again, some of that is likely changing if they put the incoming class in a new lecture hall.

Can one of you guys tell me if there is a computer requirement? I’m looking into buying a surface pro and didn’t want to waste my money if I need a different kind.

Also, is there a website where I can find places to live for vet students? I know some schools have a website for that or pdf file. I live in SC and can’t go and look at places. Any recommendations for places? I would prefer to rent and will be looking for roommates but don’t know anyone in oklahoma. Sorry for all the questions.

Also, is there a website where I can find places to live for vet students? I know some schools have a website for that or pdf file. I live in SC and can’t go and look at places. Any recommendations for places? I would prefer to rent and will be looking for roommates but don’t know anyone in oklahoma. Sorry for all the questions.
We love questions! You will be added to the class FB page when you send a deposit to accept your spot, then the flood of housing options will come. There are endless options to choose from to suit your desires. I personally chose a house with yard for my pets and live alone since I'm an older person with no desire for roommates. It takes me ~5 minutes to drive to school. Lots of housing walking distance that people like to share. Also plenty of apartments that will come with "I recommend living here" and "stay away!!!" comments. haha

Can one of you guys tell me if there is a computer requirement? I’m looking into buying a surface pro and didn’t want to waste my money if I need a different kind.
I think the surface pro is a good option for the first 3 years. When I was in clinics last year there were people you had trouble using the software (it was really tiny). They may have new software or have fixed the problem by the time you are a 4th year.

I think the surface pro is a good option for the first 3 years. When I was in clinics last year there were people you had trouble using the software (it was really tiny). They may have new software or have fixed the problem by the time you are a 4th year.

Hmmm. Maybe not. I didn't see what they were using, but during orientation, I heard some people grumbling about the window size.

We love questions! You will be added to the class FB page when you send a deposit to accept your spot, then the flood of housing options will come. There are endless options to choose from to suit your desires. I personally chose a house with yard for my pets and live alone since I'm an older person with no desire for roommates. It takes me ~5 minutes to drive to school. Lots of housing walking distance that people like to share. Also plenty of apartments that will come with "I recommend living here" and "stay away!!!" comments. haha

You all are so helpful. Thank you. They have the surface pro 5 that I really liked.

Anyone know if OSU sends hard copy acceptance letters with any extra info? Or do packets come after you’ve accepted a seat? Just curious :)

Anyone know if OSU sends hard copy acceptance letters with any extra info? Or do packets come after you’ve accepted a seat? Just curious :)
That'll have to be a @cdoconn question. I come from the ancient days where the only letter was via postal service. haha

That'll have to be a @cdoconn question. I come from the ancient days where the only letter was via postal service. haha
*blinks*

um

So they don’t send hard copy acceptances. They have really good info on the website. I think that when you mail in your deposit they add you to the FB group. And then they email out a big long info sheet in Late June with booklist, class schedule, grey coat order form, all the information you could want!

Uhhh I think that’s it...