Opinions! LMU vs DMU VS CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indydrtobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading the threads, most recently yesterdays DMU vs CCOM.

I am trying to make a decision, in somewhat of a timely manner, I realize other students are waiting for a spot that I am holding. But I'll be honest, I'm totally torn! I really liked all three schools.

I am from the Midwest so I pretty much stuck with that region. The city/rural/suburban doesn't matter to me as much as cost of living. Which obviously I mean CCOM. A little scared of what that will cost. :(.

My eventual goal is to be a surgeon.

I admired the curriculum and facilities at all three. Seemed equal.

Concerning my interest in surgery, does anyone have any input on which school would offer the best rotations for surgery?

In your opinion does any one of them have an overall better reputation than the others?

I honestly am thankful for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as surgery goes, I know that DMU has the surgical simulation lab. They also have a solid reputation. Also, like you said... cost of living is really cheap. DMU is my top pick out of the schools I interviewed at so far, so I'm a little biased.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just my opinion and because I strongly dislike Chicago lol.

Also why would you want to ever go to a school founded by English pplz? Like... Pseudo-FMG for realz!

true, i like des moines over chicago. for once I agree with you, on location. my friend lives out there and really enjoys the area.

If it were me I'd scratch LMU off immediately. It's in a different league than CCOM and DMU. If you're truly interested in surgery right now (which shouldn't be the supreme deciding factor in this case) consider DMU in more detail. I think CCOM will be the most expensive of the three, and that's a concern of yours. If I were in your shoes I'd attend the stellar DMU program. Good luck.

obviously biased but DMU=CCOM in regards to opportunities, respect, alumni network, reputation, etc. DMU/CCOM>LMU. LMU is good, but too new. While there isn't a list of rankings for DO schools, the unofficial ranking almost always include both DMU and CCOM. You aren't going to go wrong with either of those.

if you truly can't decide between those two (and it should be those two), remember that DMU has cheaper tuition and cheaper cost of living.

If it were me I'd scratch LMU off immediately. It's in a different league than CCOM and DMU. If you're truly interested in surgery right now (which shouldn't be the supreme deciding factor in this case) consider DMU in more detail. I think CCOM will be the most expensive of the three, and that's a concern of yours. If I were in your shoes I'd attend the stellar DMU program. Good luck.

But LMU is awesome!!:)

since you don't care about being in a big city go with dmu.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

since you don't care about being in a big city, go with dmu.

You're always gonna have people on here who will argue to go to any of those, but I will echo most people in this thread and tell you to choose between CCOM and DMU. Nothing against LMU, but it's a newer school and does not give as many opportunities. I think you will have a fantastic education at either, but if money is an issue than DMU is the obvious choice. The best advice I have is to choose where you see yourself fitting, and that's not something anyone can tell you but yourself. Good luck and congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're always gonna have people on here who will argue to go to any of those, but I will echo most people in this thread and tell you to choose between CCOM and DMU. Nothing against LMU, but it's a newer school and does not give as many opportunities. I think you will have a fantastic education at either, but if money is an issue than DMU is the obvious choice. The best advice I have is to choose where you see yourself fitting, and that's not something anyone can tell you but yourself. Good luck and congrats!

I chose LMU over DMU, but as I have said earlier this was a personal preference.

I would choose DMU over CCOM in a heartbeat because of the trememdous tuition and cost of living difference. Both schools are probably equal in terms of academic quality, but you cant argue with the significant reduction in cost.

obviously biased but DMU=CCOM in regards to opportunities, respect, alumni network, reputation, etc. DMU/CCOM>LMU. LMU is good, but too new. While there isn't a list of rankings for DO schools, the unofficial ranking almost always include both DMU and CCOM. You aren't going to go wrong with either of those.

if you truly can't decide between those two (and it should be those two), remember that DMU has cheaper tuition and cheaper cost of living.

+1, though I'd say CCOM has better rotations. To the best of my knowledge CCOM students rotate with the MD Chicago schools. LMU is among the best of the newer schools, but not in the same league as CCOM/DMU.

I'm sure you asked questions at all 3 that were relevant to yourself and should help you decide. I've been accepted at LMU and waitlisted at DMU, didn't check out CCOM due to the price. I would be torn if I was accepted off the wailist. I was surprised to find that (in my opinion) LMU surpassed DMU in several areas that I wasn't expecting. Obviously you can see from the match lists that surgery is attainable from any of the 3 schools so really go where you found to be the best for yourself.

The one obvious benefit is the reputation and alumni network of CCOM and DMU, as others have said. The lack of such didn't seem to hinder the last class of LMU all too much judging by the matchlist. It'll really be up to your performance more than anything else.

I'm sure you asked questions at all 3 that were relevant to yourself and should help you decide. I've been accepted at LMU and waitlisted at DMU, didn't check out CCOM due to the price. I would be torn if I was accepted off the wailist. I was surprised to find that (in my opinion) LMU surpassed DMU in several areas that I wasn't expecting. Obviously you can see from the match lists that surgery is attainable from any of the 3 schools so really go where you found to be the best for yourself.

The one obvious benefit is the reputation and alumni network of CCOM and DMU, as others have said. The lack of such didn't seem to hinder the last class of LMU all too much judging by the matchlist. It'll really be up to your performance more than anything else.

The alumn network is helpful mainly after residency.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I was suprised to find the exact same thing when I interviewed at both DMU and LMU. I am not saying LMU-DCOM is a better school then DMU (although I think it is a darn good school) it just goes to show you that everybody has the personal preferences when they go check out schools.

It's nice to show loyalty to LMU and it's a great school. It's simply too new to be in the same league as DMU and CCOM, though. Maybe someday, but right now DMU and CCOM are certainly superior schools.

Shouldn't it be taken more seriously that CCOM costs almost 55k/year for tuition now? That kind of cost is almost out of control considering the cost of living in Chicago. If it weren't for the cost though I would say CCOM for sure

The alumn network is helpful mainly after residency.

That's actually something I have never thought about. Good point. I've been more concerned with differences between schools, debt, and residency.

I was suprised to find the exact same thing when I interviewed at both DMU and LMU. I am not saying LMU-DCOM is a better school then DMU (although I think it is a darn good school) it just goes to show you that everybody has the personal preferences when they go check out schools.

That's exactly what I was trying to say incase I wasn't clear. I expected DMU to be as good as it was based on SDN and it lived up to the expectation where as I was thinking of cancelling my LMU interview because I really didn't hear much about it on SDN and had an acceptance. Very glad I decided to interview there.

I would hope no one would withdraw an interview prior to any acceptances..

Shouldn't it be taken more seriously that CCOM costs almost 55k/year for tuition now? That kind of cost is almost out of control considering the cost of living in Chicago. If it weren't for the cost though I would say CCOM for sure

Yes definitely, but I'd be willing to pay the extra $20k or so per year to go to a school with better rotations and more opportunities to make connections.

I would hope no one would withdraw an interview prior to any acceptances..

People have, unfortunately. I hope it works out for them.

Sage words.

Yes definitely, but I'd be willing to pay the extra $20k or so per year to go to a school with better rotations and more opportunities to make connections.

People have, unfortunately. I hope it works out for them.

#cray

and I didn't consider the alumni network (in fact, I figure I may be able to contact my DO LOR writer when the time comes...)... point, KCOM :oops:

hey seriously go with dmu