Oregon State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Oregon mail anything to accepted applicants? I’m moving at the end of the month, and I’m trying to figure out how to change my mailing address.

Members don't see this ad.

Does Oregon mail anything to accepted applicants? I’m moving at the end of the month, and I’m trying to figure out how to change my mailing address.
I got an official acceptance letter sent after I accepted my seat, but nothing else besides that if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 1 users
What about it? I don't plan on doing their externship, but have heard lots of good things about them. The head vet there gives us a couple lectures throughout the curriculum. I'd imagine it's fairly hands on as several friends have posted pictures of them right next to all sorts of wildlife. It's one of the highlights of 4th year from what I've heard.
Thanks for the info! On OSU's website they say: additional clinical training (aside from the 4th year rotation) at the wildlife safari must be done at the student's expense, but then nothing else. Do you know of any additional opportunities other than the 4th year rotation? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! On OSU's website they say: additional clinical training (aside from the 4th year rotation) at the wildlife safari must be done at the student's expense, but then nothing else. Do you know of any additional opportunities other than the 4th year rotation? Thanks!
Yes! There's a wildlife workshop thing every year. I haven't done it, but here is a sample of a past year's itinerary. It is available mainly to 3rd and 4th years but they also allow 1st or 2nd years with great references.

Attachments

• Wildlife Safari workshop poster-2019.pdf
    263.6 KB · Views: 97
Yes! There's a wildlife workshop thing every year. I haven't done it, but here is a sample of a past year's itinerary. It is available mainly to 3rd and 4th years but they also allow 1st or 2nd years with great references.
Thanks!!

As for the housing situation, I know WSU sends their students a housing list of some sort during the summer (at least for first year). Do any of you know if this is something that OSU does for their students as well? If not, what is your recommendation for finding quality housing? I’ve heard mold is a very common problem in Oregon.

IS acceptance!!! So freaking happy you guys!!

Reactions: 4 users
As for the housing situation, I know WSU sends their students a housing list of some sort during the summer (at least for first year). Do any of you know if this is something that OSU does for their students as well? If not, what is your recommendation for finding quality housing? I’ve heard mold is a very common problem in Oregon.
Osu doesn't send out a housing list, but we have a facebook page for the whole school and for your class specifically. Starting in a couple months, those pages will be flooded with people looking for housing. There's also a page called "cge grad students housing" where you can look for other grad student roommates (although not necessarily vet). When I first toured houses/apartments, I saw probably 3 or 4 out of 5 or 6 that had black mold growing inside. Definitely tour it yourself if possible or have a possible roommate/classmate tour for you. Duerksen is the biggest rental company in town and was the biggest culprit for mold that I saw. They tend to have poor reviews but I had a good experience renting through them this year. There are some super nice, high end apartments in town (mainly the domain and the retreat) if money is no object, but isn't really a smart decision if you're taking out loans.

IS accepted!!!!! could burst this is a dream it must be

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students talk about what they like/ don't like about Oregon's curriculum? Is there any problem based learning?

Can any current students talk about what they like/ don't like about Oregon's curriculum? Is there any problem based learning?
Sure.

Pros:
  • Smallest class size out of all US vet schools. It means you get to know all your classmates and actually become friends with some of the professors. We generally have a lot of one on one teaching when it comes to labs and some clinical rotations!
  • We're on the quarter system instead of semesters. If you don't like a class, you only have to deal with it for 10 weeks. You get a month for Winter break, ~3 months for Summer, and 1 week for Spring break. You start brand new classes after Winter and Spring break so don't have to worry about studying during your time off.
  • We get more surgical experience than probably any other vet school (can't guarantee this but we're definitely up there). You are primary surgeon for 1 neuter, 1 spay, assistant for 1 neuter/1 spay, and anesthetist for 1 neuter/1 spay during third year. You also get sheep and horse surgical experience during third year if you track large animal or mixed. During fourth year, we have a required humane society rotation where you get a ton of surgeries in. I think they say something like 30-40 average surgeries as primary surgeon.
  • We do have some problem based learning. There is a clinical skills class you take over the first 2 years where you learn and practice intubation, catheters, physical exams, etc. This class also has case studies that you do regularly. The curriculum in general, isn't problem based learning, but you do gets plenty of case studies to practice case presentations, workup, and such.
  • The teachers are great! A lot of them make an effort to learn everyone's name and really care about us.
Cons
  • Quarter system - if you like a class, you only get it for 10 weeks
  • There is one notorious physiology class, where a few people end up failing every year. They let people take a remediation exam or just retake the class the following year, but this one is always a problem for first years.
  • Honestly can't think of many cons

Last edited:
Sure.

Pros:
  • Smallest class size out of all US vet schools. It means you get to know all your classmates and actually become friends with some of the professors. We generally have a lot of one on one teaching when it comes to labs and some clinical rotations!
  • We're on the quarter system instead of semesters. If you don't like a class, you only have to deal with it for 10 weeks. You get a month for Winter break, ~3 months for Summer, and 1 week for Spring break. You start brand new classes after Winter and Spring break so don't have to worry about studying during your time off.
  • We get more surgical experience than probably any other vet school (can't guarantee this but we're definitely up there). You are primary surgeon for 1 neuter, 1 spay, assistant for 1 neuter/1 spay, and anesthetist for 1 neuter/1 spay during third year. You also get sheep and horse surgical experience during third year if you track large animal or mixed. During fourth year, we have a required humane society rotation where you get a ton of surgeries in. I think they say something like 30-40 average surgeries as primary surgeon.
  • We do have problem based learning. There is a clinical skills class you take over the first 2 years where you learn and practice intubation, catheters, physical exams, etc. This class also has case studies that you do regularly. The curriculum in general, isn't problem based learning, but you do gets plenty of case studies to practice case presentations, workup, and such.
  • The teachers are great! A lot of them make an effort to learn everyone's name and really care about us.
Cons
  • There is one notorious physiology class, where a few people end up failing every year. They let people take a remediation exam or just retake the class the following year, but this one is always a problem for first years.
Thanks!

Sure.

Pros:
  • We do have some problem based learning. There is a clinical skills class you take over the first 2 years where you learn and practice intubation, catheters, physical exams, etc. This class also has case studies that you do regularly. The curriculum in general, isn't problem based learning, but you do gets plenty of case studies to practice case presentations, workup, and such.
Cons
Do you have any study tips for the physiology class? Or maybe just studying in general during vet school?

Do you have any study tips for the physiology class? Or maybe just studying in general during vet school?
So that one is during Winter of first year. I did fairly well in it by writing practice questions that were in the same format as her questions (very difficult, similar format) and having some friends do that as well. Our group had a practice test every week, where we compiled our questions and gave ourselves the same amount of time she gives us per question and took it in a realistic testing environment.

In general: I use a similar technique for most of my classes and it helps out a lot. The key to learning well in vet school is active recall. Writing and answering practice questions is my favorite way to test that. Once I'm fairly comfortable with the material, I go through the powerpoints, look at the title slide, and try to write down everything important on that slide from memory. Really, any method of active recall you use is going to be more effective than highlighting text, rewriting notes, etc. There are some sites with nice info on active recall if you're looking for more methods.

Last edited:
Hi and congrats to all of you! I'm a current first year going through this hell of a physiology course. Cant wait to meet some of you and feel free to reach out with any questions you have!

Does anyone know what the school's annual case load is? I know someone asked at the open house but I don't believe an answer was given. Most schools have it on their website but I'm having trouble finding it for OSU.

I’m attending the open day in March, but does anybody that went to the one last week (or current students) know if they said how much the total cost of tuition is over four years? I’m looking at their tuition rates for each quarter for OOS and the 4th year is about 12,000 instead of 16,000? Does anybody know what that is about?

Does anyone know what the school's annual case load is? I know someone asked at the open house but I don't believe an answer was given. Most schools have it on their website but I'm having trouble finding it for OSU.
IDK about small animal, but here are some general numbers for LA. https://www.acvim.org/Portals/0/RTP Pages/2021/LAIM/ProgramFiles/_L-Mixed-OSU-21.pdf I'm not sure if these numbers incorporate medicine and surgery services or just medicine. I'm also not sure how up to date those numbers are. If you're worried about not getting enough cases, then don't. I work in the LA hospital so can only speak to that, but we are exceptionally busy for being in a small town. People come from hours away to go to our SA and LA hospitals. All the core rotations are extremely busy year round!!! Tess might have exact numbers if you want them though.

I’m attending the open day in March, but does anybody that went to the one last week (or current students) know if they said how much the total cost of tuition is over four years? I’m looking at their tuition rates for each quarter for OOS and the 4th year is about 12,000 instead of 16,000? Does anybody know what that is about?
We do 3 quarters for year for the first three years. Fourth year happens during four quarters, so they decrease it to 12k/quarter to make it 12k X 4 = 48,000 the same as 16k X 3 = 48,000.

@johnsmith123 thank you, I'm picking between OSU and another school and trying to compare/contrast the programs to help me decide.

I know we have to decide by Apr 15th but are they just expecting us to accept the offers before they tell us the expected fin aid/loans?

@johnsmith123 thank you, I'm picking between OSU and another school and trying to compare/contrast the programs to help me decide.

I know we have to decide by Apr 15th but are they just expecting us to accept the offers before they tell us the expected fin aid/loans?
You should be able to borrow the full amount of tuition and loans at any of the avma accredited vet schools. Osu doesn't usually offer scholarships to first years but we give over $300k to second through fourth years each year.

How did you learn about the open houses? I don't think I have received any emails about them. I'm guessing they're over zoom?

How did you learn about the open houses? I don't think I have received any emails about them. I'm guessing they're over zoom?
It looks like you're an alternate? I was an alternate when I applied and we also didn't get to attend the open house, unfortunately. The earliest you can expect to possibly hear back is after the national acceptance deadline.

It looks like you're an alternate? I was an alternate when I applied and we also didn't get to attend the open house, unfortunately. The earliest you can expect to possibly hear back is after the national acceptance deadline.
Bummer! I am an alternate at CSU as well and they had an open house for us, so I wasn't sure if I was missing something here. Thanks for the info!

Bummer! I am an alternate at CSU as well and they had an open house for us, so I wasn't sure if I was missing something here. Thanks for the info!
I would've thought they would let alternates attend this year since it was entirely virtual. You could always try contacting Tess and seeing if that's an option for the next open house, but I'm guessing they just have it open to accepted students, unfortunately.

I will be taking myself off the waitlist for OOS since I got an acceptance to Illinois. Hopefully this will help the rest of you on the list, good luck!

I was offered an OOS seat back in December and I'm really honored for that opportunity. However, I have been accepted to my IS school and I just submitted my decision to decline the offer. I hope this opens a spot for someone and makes them really happy.

Just declined my OOS seat for my IS. Good luck guys!

I just removed myself from the OOS waitlist since I will be attending my IS school. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! :happy:

I also declined my WICHE seat, good luck to other WICHE people out there!

So I accepted my seat but I may be called off of waitlists at other schools still so I don't want to fill out the formal application and pay the application fee until I have to. I waited until the last moment as usual and emailed Tess and she is out of the office until next week. I called admissions and no one answered lol. Does anyone know if there is a deadline for the formal application? I feel like there's not but I'm paranoid.

So I accepted my seat but I may be called off of waitlists at other schools still so I don't want to fill out the formal application and pay the application fee until I have to. I waited until the last moment as usual and emailed Tess and she is out of the office until next week. I called admissions and no one answered lol. Does anyone know if there is a deadline for the formal application? I feel like there's not but I'm paranoid.
hi! i am not sure if there is a deadline for the application but there is no fee! I emailed tess a while back and she said they no longer charge that (:)

Any other OOS alternates a little confused by the email they just sent?
"At this point, all of our non-resident seats in the Class of 2025 have been filled. It is not uncommon for changes in the class to occur in the coming months, at which point we would continue making offers to our alternates. The Admissions Committee has not yet ranked the alternate list, but will likely do so in the coming weeks. I will provide a notification when the rankings are available."
They filled their OOS seats without having to move to the waitlist but will still be ranking the waitlist just in case?

"At this point, all of our non-resident seats in the Class of 2025 have been filled. It is not uncommon for changes in the class to occur in the coming months, at which point we would continue making offers to our alternates. The Admissions Committee has not yet ranked the alternate list, but will likely do so in the coming weeks. I will provide a notification when the rankings are available."
They filled their OOS seats without having to move to the waitlist but will still be ranking the waitlist just in case?
Hey, so just fyi I have an OOS seat, but I will be rescinding my seat if I get off of my in state waitlist or the waitlist at Cornell (Oregon was my only full acceptance). Admin knows this because I specifically asked if I could do this in one of their open houses, and when I asked they were super okay and not surprised at all, I think a lot of people are in the same position.

This happens all the time with a lot of schools. People will change their mind, get off the waitlist into their first choice/ in state/ a cheaper option, etc. Obviously being on the waitlist isn’t a guaranteed acceptance, but it also isn’t a no. It all depends on the year how much the waitlist will move.

Edit: I’ve known of people who have been called off as late as august so anything is possible! But obviously the higher you rank the more likely you’ll be called off

Last edited:
This happens all the time with a lot of schools. People will change their mind, get off the waitlist into their first choice/ in state/ a cheaper option, etc. Obviously being on the waitlist isn’t a guaranteed acceptance, but it also isn’t a no. It all depends on the year how much the waitlist will move.

Edit: I’ve known of people who have been called off as late as august so anything is possible! But obviously the higher you rank the more likely you’ll be called off
That makes sense! I hadn't expected the waitlist to move much after the seats were filled, but it makes sense that people might have multiple options and change their mind. I'm just glad they will actually let us know our rank on the waitlist!

That makes sense! I hadn't expected the waitlist to move much after the seats were filled, but it makes sense that people might have multiple options and change their mind. I'm just glad they will actually let us know our rank on the waitlist!
Yeah it all depends on the year! Sometimes it moves a lot sometimes only a few spots! Fingers crossed for those of you on the waitlist🤞🏻

Does anyone know if we get access to the rec center as part of our tuition, or do we have to pay extra?

Does anyone know if we get access to the rec center as part of our tuition, or do we have to pay extra?
I think a membership to the rec center is included when we pay the incidental fees that are included with registering for courses

Thanks! At least if I'm forced to pay, may as well use it.