Oregon State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got OOS rejected and these were my GPA's:

Cumulative--3.75
Science--3.74
Last 45--3.95

Members don't see this ad.

OOS accepted! Cumulative Gpa was 3.97, 3.93 Science, and 3.96 L45

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry to those who got rejected, I hope you guys get in elsewhere!
Congrats on those who got in!

I'm oos rejected. For both accepted and rejected applicants what were your gpas? Just curious!
3.62 science GPA, 3.74 overall GPA. My last 45 credit hour was ~3.85 (sorry I don't feel like calculating it)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does OSU require a specific computer or tablet?

Hey guys! Congrats on acceptances! I was looking through some home listings on Zillow and am a little concerned with the lack of homes for sale! Do any current students have any suggestions or recommendations... or insight lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Congrats on acceptances! I was looking through some home listings on Zillow and am a little concerned with the lack of homes for sale! Do any current students have any suggestions or recommendations... or insight lol
I am OOS and never lived off a school campus/my parents houses before, so I would also love some insights on living situations and expenses

Reactions: 1 user
id also like to know! also any tips on finding roommates because I dont know anyone in oregon and would prefer to live with other vet students or people around the same age

@LSVET @CyroCap @Lgard1128

I can't offer any advice on buying a home, but a lot of people live/have bought in Albany. It's maybe a 20-25 minute commute depending on which part you live in, but things tend to be a little cheaper there. Keep in mind that you need to be a max of ~15-20 mins away from campus for some 4th year rotations (only when on call, not for every rotation and not always every day of the rotation). I don't remember the exact number, but it's somewhere near that range. Some people just stay on a friend's couch when on call, if they live too far away.

As far as renting and finding roommates: the school has multiple Facebook groups you can join eventually. OSU Carlson College of Veterinary Medicine - DVM Candidates and Tess will create one specifically for your class soon, if she hasn't already. There's also a page called "CGE Grad Student Housing and Mutual Aid @ OSU" for all grad students at OSU. I found my first roommate on this group and there are always PHD students and such looking for housing or advertising places.

Housing is very affordable here if you're willing to live with roommates. My first apartment was through an independent landlord and it was $475/month + electricity in a 2 bed/1 bath, 1 mile from campus. My current one is $450/month including all utilities except wifi in a 4 bed/2 bath, 2 miles from campus. There are some nicer places like The Domain or the Retreat if you want to live like royalty. Mold is a pretty common problem here and I saw half a dozen places with visible mold inside when I first started touring apartments so definitely consider having someone tour the place beforehand, especially if it's low budget.

Along with Corvallis and Albany, Philomath is also a nice town that is a couple of miles from campus. It is better if you prefer smaller towns.

Reactions: 4 users
@LSVET @CyroCap @Lgard1128

I can't offer any advice on buying a home, but a lot of people live/have bought in Albany. It's maybe a 20-25 minute commute depending on which part you live in, but things tend to be a little cheaper there. Keep in mind that you need to be a max of ~15-20 mins away from campus for some 4th year rotations (only when on call, not for every rotation and not always every day of the rotation). I don't remember the exact number, but it's somewhere near that range. Some people just stay on a friend's couch when on call, if they live too far away.

As far as renting and finding roommates: the school has multiple Facebook groups you can join eventually. OSU Carlson College of Veterinary Medicine - DVM Candidates and Tess will create one specifically for your class soon, if she hasn't already. There's also a page called "CGE Grad Student Housing and Mutual Aid @ OSU" for all grad students at OSU. I found my first roommate on this group and there are always PHD students and such looking for housing or advertising places.

Housing is very affordable here if you're willing to live with roommates. My first apartment was through an independent landlord and it was $475/month + electricity in a 2 bed/1 bath, 1 mile from campus. My current one is $450/month including all utilities except wifi in a 4 bed/2 bath, 2 miles from campus. There are some nicer places like The Domain or the Retreat if you want to live like royalty. Mold is a pretty common problem here and I saw half a dozen places with visible mold inside when I first started touring apartments so definitely consider having someone tour the place beforehand, especially if it's low budget.

Along with Corvallis and Albany, Philomath is also a nice town that is a couple of miles from campus. It is better if you prefer smaller towns.
Thanks!

OOS accepted (from CA)!
GPA: ~3.6
Science: ~3.45
Last 45: ~3.7
Vet Experience hrs: ~3000

Anyone looking for roommates/know of any roommate groups?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if OOS students will eventually get residency for future years? Or we will always be classified as oos since we are there primarily for education reasons?

Does anyone know if OOS students will eventually get residency for future years? Or we will always be classified as oos since we are there primarily for education reasons?
Always considered OOS. The VMCAS cost calculator tool compares all the schools and tells you if your OOS status can be changed if you want to compare schools you applied to. Cost Comparison Tool - AAVMC

OOS accepted (from CA)!
GPA: ~3.6
Science: ~3.45
Last 45: ~3.7
Vet Experience hrs: ~3000

Anyone looking for roommates/know of any roommate groups?
I’m OOS accepted as well, from Florida! I still have to interview and hear back from my in-state school, but Oregon is a top choice for me if I get rejected from UF. I’ll be looking for roommates as well, and I’d love to keep in touch through the process if you’re interested!

I’m OOS accepted as well, from Florida! I still have to interview and hear back from my in-state school, but Oregon is a top choice for me if I get rejected from UF. I’ll be looking for roommates as well, and I’d love to keep in touch through the process if you’re interested!
Finders crossed your interview goes well! Wondering why to you Oregon is a top choice?

I’ll also be looking for roommates! Oregon is one of my top choices too but I want to make sure school is in person before I decide to sign a lease

I’ll also be looking for roommates! Oregon is one of my top choices too but I want to make sure school is in person before I decide to sign a lease
Our labs are currently in person so even if we somehow don't get back to normal by next fall, you'll need to live here anyways.

Hey guys, got my OOS (MN) acceptance on the 17th as well! I am also waiting to have an interview at my in-state school, but Oregon is high on my list, so I definitely want to keep in touch with you all as I will be looking for roommates as well if I decide on attending Oregon!

Good luck with UF! Keep us posted on where you end up deciding :) If you choose OSU, I will keep you posted on housing

Hey everyone and congrats to those accepted so far! Just came here because I'm in the class of 2024 and my roommate will be graduating this year so I will be looking for a new roommate eventually. I currently live at the Retreat in a 2 bed / 2 bath apartment and am super happy here. You can check it out here https://www.retreatcorvallis.com/ and message me if any questions!

Finders crossed your interview goes well! Wondering why to you Oregon is a top choice?
I really like the small class size (70ish students instead of ~130 at UF). I’ve also been wanting to move to the west coast, so the location is a big factor. OSU also has one of the less expensive OOS tuitions.

I really like the small class size (70ish students instead of ~130 at UF). I’ve also been wanting to move to the west coast, so the location is a big factor. OSU also has one of the less expensive OOS tuitions.
I definitely agree with you there. The class size is one of my MAJOR factors. My IS is rumored to be going up to ~150 this year and that is kind of stressful. Oregon is absolutely beautiful, and I agree it is one of the cheaper OOS options. My ONLY gripe is that I think I’m going to have a hard time finding a house to buy that is closer to campus. I’ll be moving with my husband and multiple critters, so a house is a must. Lol

I definitely agree with you there. The class size is one of my MAJOR factors. My IS is rumored to be going up to ~150 this year and that is kind of stressful. Oregon is absolutely beautiful, and I agree it is one of the cheaper OOS options. My ONLY gripe is that I think I’m going to have a hard time finding a house to buy that is closer to campus. I’ll be moving with my husband and multiple critters, so a house is a must. Lol
Same I'm also concerned about the job market for my husband who will be our primary source of income. Job searches for his industry (chiropractic) doesn't really show much promise rn but might be a COVID slump on hiring. I think we'd have to find something halfway between corvallis and portland...

Same I'm also concerned about the job market for my husband who will be our primary source of income. Job searches for his industry (chiropractic) doesn't really show much promise rn but might be a COVID slump on hiring. I think we'd have to find something halfway between corvallis and portland...
Yes, the job market! My husband is a veterinary technician, so I’m hoping it won’t be too hard for him to find work as long as he is compensated appropriately. Unfortunately, techs really have to advocate for their worth. We have been looking 45 minutes out in all directions for housing. It will be unfavorable when on call in the later years, but staying in a hotel/on a classmates couch for short spurts is something I am willing to do in order to lock down a house!

Yes, the job market! My husband is a veterinary technician, so I’m hoping it won’t be too hard for him to find work as long as he is compensated appropriately. Unfortunately, techs really have to advocate for their worth. We have been looking 45 minutes out in all directions for housing. It will be unfavorable when on call in the later years, but staying in a hotel/on a classmates couch for short spurts is something I am willing to do in order to lock down a house!
I hope you find a house that works for you guys!
My fiancé (will be husband by the time school starts) and I were also thinking about buying a house for the same reasons, and I agree the housing market doesn’t look great for buyers in Corvallis.
It would also be hard since we live across the country and have no experience buying houses. We’ll probably end up renting for the first year until we’re more settled in the area and know our way around.

anyone else most likely going to accept their spot? im 99% sure I will and im so excited and impatient to meet other students lol

I probably will, but I am waitlisted to my in state and to cornell so I may decide to go to one of those instead, if I get offered a spot. I'm also waiting for the virtual tour to learn more about the school before I make up my mind.

Wishing everyone had a great interview today for in state!

Does anyone know how many applicants were interviewed this cycle?

Does anyone know how many applicants were interviewed this cycle?
They have last cycles stats posted somewhere on their website, but I havent checked in a while so idk if they put this cycle up yet.

Is anyone else stressing out since the interviews? It’s my second time interviewing with them and I’m hoping so hard for an acceptance

Is anyone else stressing out since the interviews? It’s my second time interviewing with them and I’m hoping so hard for an acceptance
Yes, I lost so much time trying to enter my breakout rooms on zoom I don’t know what the issue was. I saw on prior threads they found out 1/31 so hopefully we hear something this month too.

anyone else most likely going to accept their spot? im 99% sure I will and im so excited and impatient to meet other students lol
I already accepted! :) It was either accept now or wait for WesternU in my home state of CA (which there is no real benefit of waiting for, since the tuition comes out to about the same), plus OSU was my top choice

hello i have been stalking SDN for a while and proud to say i accepted my OOS seat! 2nd time applicant from socal :)

hello i have been stalking SDN for a while and proud to say i accepted my OOS seat! 2nd time applicant from socal :)
Congrats! I havent accepted yet since im waiting to hear back from wisconsin (which idk if i will get into/is more expensive oos than oregon anyways) but we are from the same area!

I already accepted! :) It was either accept now or wait for WesternU in my home state of CA (which there is no real benefit of waiting for, since the tuition comes out to about the same), plus OSU was my top choice
Yay! cant wait to most likely meet you once school starts haha

Congrats! I havent accepted yet since im waiting to hear back from wisconsin (which idk if i will get into/is more expensive oos than oregon anyways) but we are from the same area!
thank you, and congrats to you! sending good thoughts for an acceptance to wisconsin as well but hopefully i’ll get to meet you @ oregon state :)

Hoping this will be the week in-state applicants find out 🤞🏽

Also an OOS alternate! Any idea how far down the waitlist they've gotten in previous years?
When I applied, there were 110 people on the OOS wait-list and 9 spots available for alternates. I got accepted immediately after spots were opened up, so don't know what ranking I was.

Are there any current students or alums on here that can tell me a little bit about Wildlife Safari? I can't find much information on the school's website or wildlife safari's website.

Are there any current students or alums on here that can tell me a little bit about Wildlife Safari? I can't find much information on the school's website or wildlife safari's website.
What about it? I don't plan on doing their externship, but have heard lots of good things about them. The head vet there gives us a couple lectures throughout the curriculum. I'd imagine it's fairly hands on as several friends have posted pictures of them right next to all sorts of wildlife. It's one of the highlights of 4th year from what I've heard.