**Official 2026 Ortho Pass/Interviews/Match/Non- match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning to apply in the future and wanted to ask about the Maimonides' program as I couldn't find much info on it. I see they take only 2 per year, what is the culture like, workload, how are didactics provided? Are residents required to take call, work weekends or night clinic? Do you have assistants and how is the director, faculty there? thank you!
 
Hey everyone just putting together my rank list now. Did all the programs you interview at give their program code for Match? I was able to search up the programs with their respective program directors but I just wanted to double check.
 
Does anyone have any advice on deciding between an expensive 2 year close to home and a paid 3 year program? Even with the extra year of income, I would say the 2 year would still be ~100k more expensive. Not sure if it's worth it to be done sooner, just curious other's thoughts.
 
Does anyone have any advice on deciding between an expensive 2 year close to home and a paid 3 year program? Even with the extra year of income, I would say the 2 year would still be ~100k more expensive. Not sure if it's worth it to be done sooner, just curious other's thoughts.
I did a paid 3 year program and I don't regret it - I learned a lot about finishing in my third year, and I would say it's arguably the hardest part of orthodontics. If someone goes to a 2 year program they will learn a lot their first year out in private practice so I think in terms of overall knowledge/skill you end up in the same place either way, but I think I would have felt a lot less confident if I hadn't done that third year. If it's more expensive doing a 2 year then that's even less incentive IMO.
 
Hey everyone,

I know this is last minute, but I’d love any advice on how y’all approached ranking programs.

Some of the questions I’ve been thinking about:

• How much did you rely on your gut versus logic when finalizing your list?

• How much did the “vibe” or how you clicked with current first year residents at the social matter in the long run?

• For those choosing between 2- and 3-year programs, how did you factor in your learning style (fast-paced/self-starter vs needing more time to consolidate)?

• How much weight did you give to a program’s name or alumni network?

• Did you consider anecdotal stories about graduates?

All my programs cost about the same, with a mix of 2- and 3-year tracks. I feel really fortunate to be deciding between great options, but I’d appreciate any last-minute perspective, especially from current residents or those already in practice.


Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any advice on deciding between an expensive 2 year close to home and a paid 3 year program? Even with the extra year of income, I would say the 2 year would still be ~100k more expensive. Not sure if it's worth it to be done sooner, just curious other's thoughts.
What did you end up deciding?
 
Pasting this template from previous years so that people can find/use it. Good luck everyone!

Name of Ortho Program:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:

Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Name of Ortho Program: Southeast-2 year program
Dental School Attended: South
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Passed INBDE after applications
GRE Score: Verbal: 150, Quant: 151, Writing: 4.5 (My scores were low, but I had only 2 weeks to study)
Class Rank: 28%
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: 2 programs, but didn't interview there
Research: 2 research projects in dental school with one being published in Ortho Journal, and I did research in undergrad
Extracurriculars: Not many extracurriculars, but started a pre-dental program at my school, and was a representative of a university wide initiative.

I applied to 32 schools, received 3 interviews, and matched after ranking all 3. It truly only takes one “yes.”


For future applicants (and re-applicants), here are a few things I learned:
  • Take the GRE seriously.
    If I could do it over, I would have invested more time into studying. A higher score could’ve opened more doors, especially at programs with strict numerical cutoffs.
  • Your stats don’t have to be perfect to match.
    My program is under $100,000 total, and I also interviewed at programs under $40k. I didn’t match at those, but the interviews themselves showed me that getting into orthodontics does not require exceptional numbers across the board.
  • Focus on what you can control.
    Strong letters, a genuine personal statement, authentic interviews, and showing who you are—these matter more than you think.
  • Be strategic but open-minded.
    Cast a wide net. Many programs only interview a small percentage of applicants, and sometimes the program you least expected becomes the one that chooses you.

Overall: don’t count yourself out. There were many moments where I didn’t feel competitive enough, but I still matched into a great program. Orthodontics is extremely competitive, but it’s absolutely possible—even without flawless stats.


I'm super fortunate and thankful to have matched the first application cycle. You can message me on here if you have any questions.

Also, I received my match email at 7:55am cst
 
Last edited:
Name of Ortho Program: East Coast 3 year program
Dental School Attended: west coast P/F school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2022
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: part 1 pass/part 2 fail/INBDE pass
GRE Score: Verbal: 161, Quant: 159, Writing: 5.0
Class Rank: no rank school
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: 3 programs, but didn't interview there
Research: 2 research projects in dental school with one being published in Ortho Journal after graduation(similar to other post), no research in college
Extracurriculars: VP/heavily involved in SNDA all four years in dental school, 6 month ortho preceptorship, ortho club, private practice as GP for 3 years.

Applied to 43 schools, interviewed at 5, ranked all 5.
——

As a three-years-out grad applying for the third time, I knew I wasn’t the typical orthodontic applicant. This cycle I stopped trying to sound perfect and focused on telling my story. I wrote about my connection to ortho, but I also owned the reality of being a reapplicant. I had my essay torn apart by ortho directors and mentors, rebuilt it from scratch, and it got to a point where every interview site brought it up.

Staying connected to the field matters. Whether we want to admit it or not, relationships shape opportunities. I was intentional about building them. I reached out, asked for guidance, and learned from people who were honest enough to push me. Those conversations helped me prepare for interviews, understand programs, and strengthen my application.

The biggest lesson: be authentic and be willing to be vulnerable. The right mentors will rise to meet you. When your heart is in the right place, people can sense it, and they genuinely want to help you grow.

I cast a wide net because I had flags on my application: not passing part 2 boards on the first try, two previous cycles without acceptance, and years out of school. I couldn’t afford to be selective. What I learned is that programs truly value real-life experience. I’d like to think the maturity I gained working in the real world came through.

If you’re debating reapplying or worried that too much time has passed, you can absolutely come back and reapply. Just be authentic and tell your story honestly.

Happy to answer questions if anyone needs support
 
Name of Ortho Program: Southeastern Program
Dental School Attended: Southeastern Program
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
2026
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: INBDE PASS
GRE Score: 310 (156Q, 154V)
Class Rank: 13%
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Involved in 3 projects, none published, one ortho-related.
Extracurriculars: Multiple leadership positions in various clubs, class officer
Interview Invites/Attended/Ranked: 5/4/4
 
Are AEGDs or GPRs more helpful during the year off before reapplying next cycle. Or is private practice an option? I didn't match and trying to see what to do next year
 
Name of Ortho Program: Northeast Program
Dental School Attended: West P/F school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Didn't take the INBDE before applying. Was afraid that if I didn't pass, then it would lower my chances of getting interviews. Took the INBDE in August as some schools require it to be ranked though (most don't).
GRE Score: Verbal: 154, Quant: 154, Writing: 5.0
Class Rank: no rank school
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Externship(s)/where: 6 programs, interview invites at 4/6 of my externships.
Research: Multiple projects (+10 projects, +5 publications, countless conferences, etc.)
Extracurriculars: Multiple club presidencies, started different clubs and organizations, and had absolutely nothing to do with the orthodontic club at my university.

Applied to 25 schools:
Interview invites:
8
Attended: 3

Accepted a non-match position, didn't rank.

Feel free to PM me any questions or anything.

I think the biggest thing that helps applicants is visiting the programs. You get to see what the program is like, and they get to check you out, too.
 
Last edited:
Name of Ortho Program: North East 3 YR
Dental School Attended: North East
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Passed INBDE before interview season
GRE Score: Verbal: 158, Quant: 157, Writing: 5
Class Rank: 8%
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: 5 research projects
Extracurriculars: I was the president of a student org in dental school, E board on a few other student orgs. Shadowing in ortho practice!

I applied to 30ish schools, received 11 interviews, turned down one (conflict with another interview), and matched after ranking all 10!
Good luck, everyone, whether you matched or not! 🤍 This cycle was so competitive!! I wish the best for all of you!
 
Last edited:
What happens when you match at a program and then receive a non-match acceptance the next day? Is there any way to ethically go to the non-match school after matching or am I pretty much locked in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! Unfortunately I had a few interviews this cycle but didn't match. I was wondering if there is anyone I could reach out to for advice on what I should do next before applying again next year. I'm feeling really lost and could use any advice 🙂 Thank you so much!