General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any updates regarding ACU and their absence on OTCAS?

ACU admissions told me that they will open the OTCAS application on Aug 15

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone!

University: Slippery Rock University
Major: Healthcare Administration and Management
Cumulative GPA: 3.27
Last 60 GPA: 3.68
PreReq: 3.8
GRE: 140 Q, 150 V, 4.0 AWA (Need to retake, UGH)

Observation:
- 10 hrs Pediatric Inpatient
- 120 hrs Pediatric Outpatient (2 locations)
- 80 hrs Hand Therapy
Should I try to get more hours?

Professional Experience: Direct Support Professional for individuals with special needs, Health information coordinator for a LIFE Program, intern at a SNF, Admin. Assistant at a LIFE Program, and Intern at a Home Health & Rehab Company

Volunteer: OT Volunteer at local hospital, Volunteer at The Friendship Circle, Volunteer at OPEN Streets (promoting physical activity), volunteer at a walk for local children's hospital, volunteer internship, volunteer with american cancer society

Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders club, American Marketing Association, Adapted Physical Activity Club, Intramural soccer, Club Soccer

LOR: 2 OT, 2 Professor, 1 Coworker

I know my overall GPA was not awesome, but hoping my other areas make up for it. If anyone has any advice or pointers please feel free to help!

Yes, I reached out to programs that I applied too! I kind of got glazed over with a generic answers (sometimes not even answered by the department themselves, but from the admissions office). I was disappointed at how some universities handled my inquiry. But I would let that factor in too much, just try to keep getting better statistics every time.
What would you say you've done to increase your chances for this round? How have you bettered your app? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, who have you asked for a recommendation letter? I have asked an OT, a clinic supervisor for which I volunteered, and a high school teacher. However the supervisor hasn't even accepted the request through OTCAS and it's stressing me. I've been thinking about asking my Portuguese professor for a letter, do you think this is a good idea?

Hello, who have you asked for a recommendation letter? I have asked an OT, a clinic supervisor for which I volunteered, and a high school teacher. However the supervisor hasn't even accepted the request through OTCAS and it's stressing me. I've been thinking about asking my Portuguese professor for a letter, do you think this is a good idea?

To be quite frank, I don’t think a letter from a high school teacher is a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Question: How will I know if I need a specific form for logging hours for a certain school? Will it say on OTCAS somewhere in the program-specific sections? I was just planning on using my own logging sheets in the observation section, will that work?

Question: How will I know if I need a specific form for logging hours for a certain school? Will it say on OTCAS somewhere in the program-specific sections? I was just planning on using my own logging sheets in the observation section, will that work?

Hey!
On OTCAS there are some schools that need specific documents for logging hours which you should be able to upload them through the "program materials" in the documents tab. But just to double check, I think it is better to go through each school's website to make sure they don't have a specific hours sheet.
And yes you can use your own logging sheets (which most schools want)! Just make sure they have info regarding the person you observed: Name of the facility, address, phone #..etc.

Hi guys! Question!

How do you guys prepare for the GRE ? What are the best resources to use? Thank you!

Hey all! I had a question regarding OTCAS. After you submit the application, are you able to go back under the documents section and submit the observation hour form? I don't want to submit it and not have the form uploaded. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Posting my stats to see if there are any similarities with other possible OT candidates.

Applying to: Rockhurst University, Nebraska Methodist College, Creighton University, Cox College, Allen College, and Texas Tech
Major: Kinesiology - Pre-Occupational Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on program
Observation hours: 140+ out-patient pediatrics within 2 settings, 10 in-patient hospital
Volunteer: YoungLife (Christian Ministry) - 800+ hours, Zoo Volunteer - 10 hours, Life Church Youth Group Leader - 50 hours.
5 LORs: 2OT, 2 College Professors, and 1 Boss who has a handicap son.
Extra: Graduated with my bachelors within 3 years, I cheered all 3 years I was in school, worked in athletic department

Interview: Creighton University (November 9th) Rockhurst University (December 1st)
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Declined:

This is my second year applying. I am nervous and praying for the best. Any advice would be great. If anyone has been in these programs or applying to them please message or comment back!! I'll keep ya'll updated!

Last edited:
How are people seeing their OTCAS calculated GPA numbers? Does that happen once transcripts are received?

How are people seeing their OTCAS calculated GPA numbers? Does that happen once transcripts are received?
OTCAS has to first verify your application. You have to have transcripts and a lot of other things submitted in order for OTCAS to properly verify your application. After all items are submitted and received, it will take 2-4 weeks for your GPA calculations to appear on your application, and you will also get an email stating your application has been verified. At least that is what I understood. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Undergrad: University of Northern Iowa
Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders
Minor: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.64 - graduating December 2018
Last 60 GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: Not sure how to determine this... my application has been verified though.
GRE: 150Q 157V 4.0AW
Extra-Curriculars
: National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA), Research volunteer
Other related: over 3000 hrs working in a childcare setting, Dean's List x5
Observation: 50 hours in 3 different settings, 25 hours speech path observation
Volunteer: 70+ volunteer hours in nursing home
LOR: 1 professor, 1 volunteer supervisor, 1 faculty member, 1 previous employer (nervous b/c I don't have an OT, but the letters that I do have should be strong).
Schools: UW Madison, UW Milwaukee, Carroll, UIC, St. Catherine University (may apply to more)

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Posting my stats to see if there are any similarities with other possible OT candidates.

Applying to: Rockhurst University, Nebraska Methodist College, Creighton University, Cox College, Allen College, and Texas Tech
Major: Kinesiology - Pre-Occupational Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on program
Observation hours: 140+ out-patient pediatrics within 2 settings, 10 in-patient hospital
Volunteer: YoungLife (Christian Ministry) - 800+ hours, Zoo Volunteer - 10 hours, Life Church Youth Group Leader - 50 hours.
5 LORs: 2OT, 2 College Professors, and 1 Boss who has a handicap son.
Extra: Graduated with my bachelors within 3 years, I cheered all 3 years I was in school, worked in athletic department

Interview: Creighton University (November 9th)
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Declined:

This is my second year applying. I am nervous and praying for the best. Any advice would be great. If anyone has been in these programs or applying to them please message or comment back!! I'll keep ya'll updated!
Did you interview at Creighton last year?

Undergrad: Kansas State University-Graduated May 2017
Major: Psychology and Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.26
Pre-Req GPA: Anywhere from 3.4-3.6
GRE: 148Q 161V 4.0AW
Extra-Curriculars: Med Missions group volunteer coordinator Med Missions Trip to Peru, volunteer with Big Brother's Big Sisters since 2016, volunteer at a therapeutic riding center every week (over 200 hours), and was a research assistant at the Center on Aging, for which I presented at a conference.
Other related: I've been working as a case manager for adults with developmental disabilities since graduating, in college I worked as an aide at a group home for adults with disabilities for two years. I also am the director of my family's charitable foundation.
Observation: About 120 hours, 7 different settings.
LOR: the professor who supervised my research, my current boss, an OT I shadowed, and the volunteer coordinator for the riding center where I volunteer.
Schools: A lot.. 16 to be exact. I didn't think I had a good chance of getting in so I wanted to cast my net wide.
Interviews: Creighton (Nov 2nd), Drake (Sept 28), Rockhurst (Dec 1)
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Midwestern
Declined:

Just curious, but how have some people already heard back from schools?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

No this is my first year applying, I am interviewing there on November 2nd!
Oh awesome!! I will also be at the Rockhurst Interview on December 1st too. Can you message me?? Your profile wont allow me to message you.

** Do you guys think this matters??***

I put my Hab Aide experience on OTCAS under Healthcare Experience, not Clinical Experience. I do not provide any direct care. I support my clients in the home and community but have never done anything I'd consider clinical. Is this ok? I submitted already but I just saw on the FAQ that this Healthcare Experience should be anything besides patient care. I don't provide patient care?

** Do you guys think this matters??***

I put my Hab Aide experience on OTCAS under Healthcare Experience, not Clinical Experience. I do not provide any direct care. I support my clients in the home and community but have never done anything I'd consider clinical. Is this ok? I submitted already but I just saw on the FAQ that this Healthcare Experience should be anything besides patient care. I don't provide patient care?
Congrats on submitting! It sounds like schools can read your descriptions and classify your experiences how they see fit, so it's most important that you included the experience somewhere and they can decide what to call it.

Do schools pay attention to the breakdown of GPA by course area? Or do they only look at your Cumm/Prereq gpa? I got an F and a C in a course my first semester of undergrad in applied anat & psych so Im assuming thats why my natural science GPA is a 2.94...

My prereq gpa is a 3.8 and my cumm is a 3.37 but Im freaking out. I didn't realize they broke down your gpa into sections

Do schools pay attention to the breakdown of GPA by course area? Or do they only look at your Cumm/Prereq gpa? I got an F and a C in a course my first semester of undergrad in applied anat & psych so Im assuming thats why my natural science GPA is a 2.94...

My prereq gpa is a 3.8 and my cumm is a 3.37 but Im freaking out. I didn't realize they broke down your gpa into sections

I think it depends on the schools you are applying too. Last year I was told that they look at everything but some schools that I talked to this year said if you have a good overall gpa and prereq gpa then you’re fine. Like 2 out of the 3 is okay.

***2nd time applying, applying to 3 schools this time. Applied too late last year and to only one school.***

Undergrad
: California State Univ San Bernardino (CSUSB)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.2-3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: 145-Q 140-V 3.5-AW
Extra-Curricular
: Volunteered at Kaiser Permanente hospital for 3 years, Volunteered at Loma Linda for 2 years, Currently volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House, was in KSA (Kinesiology Student Assoc) for 2 years in Undergrad. Participated in Disability Sports Festival. Participates in Relay for Life every year (for the past 17 years)
Observation: 115 hours, 3 different settings (Neuro, Hand therapy, Stroke, ALS, MS, Spinal Cord Injury)
LOR: 3 OTR, 1 Dean of Academic Affairs/ Professor

Schools Applying To: Loma Linda Univ, UT Health San Antonio, Univ of St Augustine (San Marcos location)

Interviews:
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Declined:

Last edited:
Super glad to have found this thread, let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what might help my chances or any feedback at all!

Minor: Psychology and Business
Cumulative GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6 or 3.75 (depending on what the school requires for pre req's)
Last 60 hours: 3.735

I have 145 hours in 6 different settings. (pediatric, brain trauma rehab, hand therapy, acute care, inpatient rehab, skilled nursing facility).

My GRE scores are 157 on verbal, 156 on quantitative, and a 4.0 on analytical writing.

Besides my hours under an OT, I also work as an undergraduate research assistant and have done several research projects with previous professors. I have presented the research at the Association for Applied Sports Psychology Southwest Conference.
I'm also an ambassador and event coordinator for the Kinesiology Department at my university.
I was a college cheerleader for the first 2 years of college and spent a lot of time doing events for that.
I volunteered with my church at least once a week and went on a mission trip with them last year.

I don't know if any of these things will help my chances of being accepted but I just thought I would include them and I'd love to know if you all think they would.

Schools applying to: UTMB, Texas Tech, TWU, Colorado State, Eastern Washington, UTHSCSA

Have you heard back from UTHSA?

***2nd time applying, applying to 3 schools this time. Applied too late last year and to only one school.***

Undergrad
: California State Univ San Bernardino (CSUSB)
Overall GPA: 3.2-3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: 145-Q 140-V 3.5-AW
Extra-Curricular
: Volunteered at Kaiser Permanente hospital for 3 years, Volunteered at Loma Linda for 2 years, Currently volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House, was in KSA (Kinesiology Student Assoc) for 2 years in Undergrad. Participated in Disability Sports Festival. Participates in Relay for Life every year (for the past 17 years)
Observation: 115 hours, 3 different settings (Neuro, Hand therapy, Stroke, ALS, MS, Spinal Cord Injury)
LOR: 3 OTR, 1 Dean of Academic Affairs/ Professor

Schools Applying To: Loma Linda Univ, UT Health San Antonio, Univ of St Augustine (San Marcos location)

Interviews:
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Declined:

When did you apply the first round that was too late?

What are the chances of getting in if I apply within a month or less? Waiting for a letter of rec. and debating whether or not to get more hours.

Currently, I have 97 hours shadowing (33.5 pediatric school for children with Cerebral Palsy, 16.5 pediatric private practice, 47 adult inpatient rehab). Should I try to get more, even if I only have time for 10-20? I am also working full time as an ABA therapist for children with Autism.

I am worried I took too long and that most spots will be filled by now. Looking to apply to Towson, Thomas Jefferson University, Temple University, Kean, University of the Sciences, and Howard University.

Any thoughts you have about these schools, my chances, and what I should do about hours would be much appreciated!

Your shadow experience and hours look good and I would recommend that you move ahead and get your app submitted. Good luck!

When did you apply the first round that was too late?

I submitted beginning of Oct and verification was too late. UTHSA received it completely verified by beginning of Nov. By that time they have a batch that they probably had interview ready.

What schools on the east coast do NOT have rolling admissions?

What are the chances of getting in if I apply within a month or less? Waiting for a letter of rec. and debating whether or not to get more hours.

Currently, I have 97 hours shadowing (33.5 pediatric school for children with Cerebral Palsy, 16.5 pediatric private practice, 47 adult inpatient rehab). Should I try to get more, even if I only have time for 10-20? I am also working full time as an ABA therapist for children with Autism.

I am worried I took too long and that most spots will be filled by now. Looking to apply to Towson, Thomas Jefferson University, Temple University, Kean, University of the Sciences, and Howard University.

Any thoughts you have about these schools, my chances, and what I should do about hours would be much appreciated!

It takes 4-6 weeks to process your application through OTCAS so depending on the date your application is actually due, you will have to do the math. You can submit your application and add observation hours at a later date, and they can still submit your letter of recommendation to OTCAS once you’ve submitted, so don’t let that stop you from moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes 4-6 weeks to process your application through OTCAS so depending on the date your application is actually due, you will have to do the math. You can submit your application and add observation hours at a later date, and they can still submit your letter of recommendation to OTCAS once you’ve submitted, so don’t let that stop you from moving forward.

I agree, the sooner you send it in the better. Verification takes longer closer towards deadlines.

Undergrad: Texas State University
Major: Exercise Sports Science
Overall GPA: 3.46
GRE: 149V 147Q (Will more than likely retake)

Volunteer: Observation hours mainly in pediatrics, acute care, hand therapy, and geriatrics.

Letters of Rec: 1 Professor, 2-3 OT(s), 1 Employer

Schools: TWU, UTHSCSA, TECH, and some out of state (undecided).

*** This will be my second time applying***

Have you heard back from UTHSA?

Wait the letters of rec don't have to be submitted by the time I submit my OTCAS application??

Wait the letters of rec don't have to be submitted by the time I submit my OTCAS application??

You can submit the OTCAS application without all letters being received and your person will still be able to submit letter even though you’ve already hit the submit button and paid. Whether or not they will review your application before all materials get there, that would be a good question to ask OTCAS.

How long is too long to wait before applying? I have already submitted to 2 schools and have been verified. The other 2 I am applying to have essays that are taking longer than expected to finish. I plan to submit both of these by 9/30. Help!!!

Also, would anyone be willing to elaborate on how they wrote their school specific essays? I’ve aligned myself with the school using the information in the website. How else have you made yourself stand out in a school specific essay? Help!

Hello! This will be my first time applying and I am very nervous but I feel like I have set myself up well enough to be considered!
School: San Diego State University
Major: Kinesiology pre-PT
Cumulative GPA: 3.55
Pre-req GPA: 3.58
GRE: 152 V, 157 Q, 4.5 GWA (taking it again because I need at least 3 more points on V)
Volunteer hours: 300+ (200 in a geriatric outpatient facility, 35 in an adult disabled clinic, 65 in many pediatric clinics)
LOR: 2 pediatric OTs, my physiology professor, 1 PT who was my supervisor/boss at the geriatric outpatient clinic
Extracurricular: sports adaptive club, gerontology club, best buddies club
Work experience: worked at least 15 hours a week every semester of school

Hello! This will be my first time applying and I am very nervous but I feel like I have set myself up well enough to be considered!
School: San Diego State University
Major: Kinesiology pre-PT
Cumulative GPA: 3.55
Pre-req GPA: 3.58
GRE: 152 V, 157 Q, 4.5 GWA (taking it again because I need at least 3 more points on V)
Volunteer hours: 300+ (200 in a geriatric outpatient facility, 35 in an adult disabled clinic, 65 in many pediatric clinics)
LOR: 2 pediatric OTs, my physiology professor, 1 PT who was my supervisor/boss at the geriatric outpatient clinic
Extracurricular: sports adaptive club, gerontology club, best buddies club
Work experience: worked at least 15 hours a week every semester of school

Do you plan on applying to more than one school? I made that mistake my first time applying, I didn’t even get an interview and I had a GPA of 3.67 @ the time! Your GRE is much higher than mine though!

How long is too long to wait before applying? I have already submitted to 2 schools and have been verified. The other 2 I am applying to have essays that are taking longer than expected to finish. I plan to submit both of these by 9/30. Help!!!

Depends on the schools deadlines of like when the application is due. Verification can take 2 weeks alone and during peak periods can take 4 weeks the most! Are you doing Professional Transcript Entry?

Depends on the schools deadlines of like when the application is due. Verification can take 2 weeks alone and during peak periods can take 4 weeks the most! Are you doing Professional Transcript Entry?
I am already verified for other apps. The deadline is December so I suppose I am ok? I did the self-entry. It was pretty easy and saves $!

I am already verified for other apps. The deadline is December so I suppose I am ok? I did the self-entry. It was pretty easy and saves $!

Yes it does, I was honestly too afraid I was going to make a mistake. But oh yeah, Dec you are fine then.

University: University of North Georgia
Graduating: May 2019
Overall GPA undergrad: 3.61
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.4 Depending on Requirements for Schools
GRE: 149Q, 145Q, 4.0AW
Applying to: Georgia State, Brenau, MUSC, Wingate, James Madison, Emory & Henry

Observation Hours
10 Inpatient: Cardiovascular, Oncology, ICU
18 Inpatient: Neuro
268 Outpatient Pediatrics (Summer intern)
28 Skilled Nursing/Geriatric
1200+ Working as a Unit Secretary at a Skilled Nursing Facility

Extras:
40 hours in as an assistant Autism Feeding Disorder research study
President of UNG Occupational Therapy Club
Member of 2 National Honor Societies- Lambda Theta Alpha, Mu Epsilon Delta
Member of Kinesiology Club, Medical Outreach club
Dean's list x 5 semesters

Letters of Rec:
OT Supervisor at Pedatric Clinic i interned at
OT I shadowed at the SNF that I work at
A professor who served on the PT board at my school, whom I have also taken classes with

Found out today I landed an interview at Wingate!! (Woohoo!!)

University: University of North Georgia
Graduating: May 2019
Overall GPA undergrad: 3.61
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.4 Depending on Requirements for Schools
GRE: 149Q, 145Q, 4.0AW
Applying to: Georgia State, Brenau, MUSC, Wingate, James Madison, Emory & Henry

Observation Hours
10 Inpatient: Cardiovascular, Oncology, ICU
18 Inpatient: Neuro
268 Outpatient Pediatrics (Summer intern)
28 Skilled Nursing/Geriatric
1200+ Working as a Unit Secretary at a Skilled Nursing Facility

Extras:
40 hours in as an assistant Autism Feeding Disorder research study
President of UNG Occupational Therapy Club
Member of 2 National Honor Societies- Lambda Theta Alpha, Mu Epsilon Delta
Member of Kinesiology Club, Medical Outreach club
Dean's list x 5 semesters

Letters of Rec:
OT Supervisor at Pedatric Clinic i interned at
OT I shadowed at the SNF that I work at
A professor who served on the PT board at my school, whom I have also taken classes with

Found out today I landed an interview at Wingate!! (Woohoo!!)

I applied to Georgia State & Emory & Henry as well!!