1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by gatorvot, Jul 9, 2018.

1. w.amanda96

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Any updates regarding ACU and their absence on OTCAS?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OTrulez!

ACU admissions told me that they will open the OTCAS application on Aug 15

4. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Good luck everyone!

University: Slippery Rock University
    Major: Healthcare Administration and Management
    Cumulative GPA: 3.27
    Last 60 GPA: 3.68
    PreReq: 3.8
    GRE: 140 Q, 150 V, 4.0 AWA (Need to retake, UGH)

Observation:
    - 10 hrs Pediatric Inpatient
    - 120 hrs Pediatric Outpatient (2 locations)
    - 80 hrs Hand Therapy
    Should I try to get more hours?

Professional Experience: Direct Support Professional for individuals with special needs, Health information coordinator for a LIFE Program, intern at a SNF, Admin. Assistant at a LIFE Program, and Intern at a Home Health & Rehab Company

Volunteer: OT Volunteer at local hospital, Volunteer at The Friendship Circle, Volunteer at OPEN Streets (promoting physical activity), volunteer at a walk for local children's hospital, volunteer internship, volunteer with american cancer society

Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders club, American Marketing Association, Adapted Physical Activity Club, Intramural soccer, Club Soccer

LOR: 2 OT, 2 Professor, 1 Coworker

I know my overall GPA was not awesome, but hoping my other areas make up for it. If anyone has any advice or pointers please feel free to help!

5. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    What would you say you've done to increase your chances for this round? How have you bettered your app? Thank you!

6. @OT97

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Hello, did it open for you? I can't find it.

7. @OT97

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Hello, who have you asked for a recommendation letter? I have asked an OT, a clinic supervisor for which I volunteered, and a high school teacher. However the supervisor hasn't even accepted the request through OTCAS and it's stressing me. I've been thinking about asking my Portuguese professor for a letter, do you think this is a good idea?

8. MidlandOT

To be quite frank, I don’t think a letter from a high school teacher is a good idea.

@OT97 likes this.
  9. roobeck

Question: How will I know if I need a specific form for logging hours for a certain school? Will it say on OTCAS somewhere in the program-specific sections? I was just planning on using my own logging sheets in the observation section, will that work?

10. OTrulez!

Hi.
    No it hasn't opened for me. Hopefully it will open within the week!

@OT97 likes this.
  11. OTrulez!

Hey!
    On OTCAS there are some schools that need specific documents for logging hours which you should be able to upload them through the "program materials" in the documents tab. But just to double check, I think it is better to go through each school's website to make sure they don't have a specific hours sheet.
    And yes you can use your own logging sheets (which most schools want)! Just make sure they have info regarding the person you observed: Name of the facility, address, phone #..etc.

12. tsunamiBae07

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Hi guys! Question!

How do you guys prepare for the GRE ? What are the best resources to use? Thank you!

13. @OT97

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Hello,
    Just in case you hadn't noticed the application is now available on OTCAS!

14. OTrulez!

Yes, thanks! Good luck on the application process and hope you get in!

@OT97 likes this.
  15. OTGal18

Hey all! I had a question regarding OTCAS. After you submit the application, are you able to go back under the documents section and submit the observation hour form? I don't want to submit it and not have the form uploaded. Thanks!

16. COT123

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Posting my stats to see if there are any similarities with other possible OT candidates.

Applying to: Rockhurst University, Nebraska Methodist College, Creighton University, Cox College, Allen College, and Texas Tech
    Major: Kinesiology - Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Overall GPA: 3.6
    Prerequisite GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on program
    Observation hours: 140+ out-patient pediatrics within 2 settings, 10 in-patient hospital
    Volunteer: YoungLife (Christian Ministry) - 800+ hours, Zoo Volunteer - 10 hours, Life Church Youth Group Leader - 50 hours.
    5 LORs: 2OT, 2 College Professors, and 1 Boss who has a handicap son.
    Extra: Graduated with my bachelors within 3 years, I cheered all 3 years I was in school, worked in athletic department

Interview: Creighton University (November 9th) Rockhurst University (December 1st)
    Acceptances:
    Waitlist:
    Declined:

This is my second year applying. I am nervous and praying for the best. Any advice would be great. If anyone has been in these programs or applying to them please message or comment back!! I'll keep ya'll updated!

#65 COT123, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    enh15 likes this.
  17. roobeck

How are people seeing their OTCAS calculated GPA numbers? Does that happen once transcripts are received?

18. OTGal18

OTCAS has to first verify your application. You have to have transcripts and a lot of other things submitted in order for OTCAS to properly verify your application. After all items are submitted and received, it will take 2-4 weeks for your GPA calculations to appear on your application, and you will also get an email stating your application has been verified. At least that is what I understood. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

19. northern123

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Undergrad: University of Northern Iowa
    Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders
    Minor: Gerontology
    Overall GPA: 3.64 - graduating December 2018
    Pre-Req GPA: Not sure how to determine this... my application has been verified though.
    GRE: 150Q 157V 4.0AW
    Extra-Curriculars: National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA), Research volunteer
    Other related: over 3000 hrs working in a childcare setting, Dean's List x5
    Observation: 50 hours in 3 different settings, 25 hours speech path observation
    Volunteer: 70+ volunteer hours in nursing home
    LOR: 1 professor, 1 volunteer supervisor, 1 faculty member, 1 previous employer (nervous b/c I don't have an OT, but the letters that I do have should be strong).
    Schools: UW Madison, UW Milwaukee, Carroll, UIC, St. Catherine University (may apply to more)

Good luck to everyone!

20. msnyd94

Did you interview at Creighton last year?

21. COT123

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I did not! I didn’t even apply to Creighton last year. Did you??

22. msnyd94

No this is my first year applying, I am interviewing there on November 2nd!

23. msnyd94

Undergrad: Kansas State University-Graduated May 2017
    Major: Psychology and Gerontology
    Overall GPA: 3.26
    Pre-Req GPA: Anywhere from 3.4-3.6
    GRE: 148Q 161V 4.0AW
    Extra-Curriculars: Med Missions group volunteer coordinator Med Missions Trip to Peru, volunteer with Big Brother's Big Sisters since 2016, volunteer at a therapeutic riding center every week (over 200 hours), and was a research assistant at the Center on Aging, for which I presented at a conference.
    Other related: I've been working as a case manager for adults with developmental disabilities since graduating, in college I worked as an aide at a group home for adults with disabilities for two years. I also am the director of my family's charitable foundation.
    Observation: About 120 hours, 7 different settings.
    LOR: the professor who supervised my research, my current boss, an OT I shadowed, and the volunteer coordinator for the riding center where I volunteer.
    Schools: A lot.. 16 to be exact. I didn't think I had a good chance of getting in so I wanted to cast my net wide.
    Interviews: Creighton (Nov 2nd), Drake (Sept 28), Rockhurst (Dec 1)
    Acceptances:
    Waitlist:
    Midwestern
    Declined:

24. OTGal18

Just curious, but how have some people already heard back from schools?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

25. COT123

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Oh awesome!! I will also be at the Rockhurst Interview on December 1st too. Can you message me?? Your profile wont allow me to message you.

26. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    ** Do you guys think this matters??***

I put my Hab Aide experience on OTCAS under Healthcare Experience, not Clinical Experience. I do not provide any direct care. I support my clients in the home and community but have never done anything I'd consider clinical. Is this ok? I submitted already but I just saw on the FAQ that this Healthcare Experience should be anything besides patient care. I don't provide patient care?

27. OTdevotee

Congrats on submitting! It sounds like schools can read your descriptions and classify your experiences how they see fit, so it's most important that you included the experience somewhere and they can decide what to call it.

gOT2beOT likes this.
  28. msnyd94

I sent in my applications the day they opened!

OTGal18 likes this.
  29. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Do schools pay attention to the breakdown of GPA by course area? Or do they only look at your Cumm/Prereq gpa? I got an F and a C in a course my first semester of undergrad in applied anat & psych so Im assuming thats why my natural science GPA is a 2.94...

My prereq gpa is a 3.8 and my cumm is a 3.37 but Im freaking out. I didn't realize they broke down your gpa into sections

30. COT123

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I think it depends on the schools you are applying too. Last year I was told that they look at everything but some schools that I talked to this year said if you have a good overall gpa and prereq gpa then you’re fine. Like 2 out of the 3 is okay.

31. Yorit06

Hey Guys! This will be my third year applying for OT. The first year I made the mistake of only applying to one school. Last year I got an interview at 2/5 schools I applied to, and only got waitlisted for one. Here are my stats.

Undergrad: University of Central Arkansas
    Major: Sociology
    Minor: Psychology
    Overall GPA: Waiting for OTCAS to calculate my cumulative
    Last 60 hours GPA: 3.5
    Pre-req GPA 3.7-4.0 depending on school

I presented research @ the College of Liberal Arts Symposium, made the deans list several times, received a few scholarships

GRE: 145V 145Q 4W (I know it's not great, but that is my second attempt and I only raised it by 3 points)

Volunteer: Observation hours in outpatient pediatrics, outpatient hand therapy, inpatient rehab (120 hours total)

Letters of Rec: 2 Professors with PhD's, 2 Occupational Therapists, 1 Medical doctor I've worked for the past 5 years

Work experience: I've worked in a hospital setting for 5 years doing sleep studies on a diverse population. I have also been a clinical instructor for our sleep tech students currently enrolled in our program for just as long.

Schools I'm applying to: Georgia State University, University of Central Arkansas, Texas Tech, TWU, Maryville, University of South Alabama, University of OK Health Sciences Center, Washington University, AT Still University, Howard University, Tennessee State University, University of Texas at El Paso, University of St Augustine **also open to other schools if you know of some good ones, preferably Masters level since I will have to pay out of state tuition***

I'm also open to recommendations on how to make my application more competitive! If you have any interview questions that you would like to share feel free. I really want to get in this year so I am all ears!!

32. otarod01

***2nd time applying, applying to 3 schools this time. Applied too late last year and to only one school.***

Undergrad
    : California State Univ San Bernardino (CSUSB)
    Major: Kinesiology
    Overall GPA: 3.2-3.3
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5
    GRE: 145-Q 140-V 3.5-AW
    Extra-Curricular
    : Volunteered at Kaiser Permanente hospital for 3 years, Volunteered at Loma Linda for 2 years, Currently volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House, was in KSA (Kinesiology Student Assoc) for 2 years in Undergrad. Participated in Disability Sports Festival. Participates in Relay for Life every year (for the past 17 years)
    Observation: 115 hours, 3 different settings (Neuro, Hand therapy, Stroke, ALS, MS, Spinal Cord Injury)
    LOR: 3 OTR, 1 Dean of Academic Affairs/ Professor

Schools Applying To: Loma Linda Univ, UT Health San Antonio, Univ of St Augustine (San Marcos location)

Interviews:
    Acceptances:
    Waitlist:
    Declined:

#81 otarod01, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  33. otarod01

Have you heard back from UTHSA?

34. capegstudent

Hi guys! This is my first year applying, and I thought I would post my stats in hopes that others can relate and that you guys can give me any helpful info you may have!
    Major: Psychology
    Minor: Social Work
    Overall GPA: 3.9
    Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
    GRE V-148 Q-145 W-4.0 (these aren't the best and I was really bummed when I got these scores back, however I do feel confident with the rest of my application so I do believe this won't weight me down :)
    Observation hours ~150 in a nursing home, school, and autism center
    Volunteer hours ~300 food pantry, homeless shelter, kids camps, Girl Scout troop, & with special needs kids
    Work experience at an autism center, daycare, and an internship at a children's residential treatment facility
    Extracurriculars- Psychology Club, Psi Chi, Phi Eta Sigma, Red Cross Club, & Residence Hall Association
    I also have a child advocacy studies training certificate.
    Applied: Washington University St. Louis, Maryville University, Cox College, University of Kansas Medical Center, Indiana State, Brenau University,Creighton University, & North Central College
    Interviews: Brenau & Creighton (so far)
    LOR- one from an OT, Anatomy Professor, and my volunteer supervisor who could speak on behalf of my work ethic
    Advice: As I mentioned before, this is my first year applying so I do not know too much about this process. I would personally recommend getting your application in as soon as possible. I turned mine in mid-august and already have two interviews set-up! Many schools start filling their seats way before the application deadline! I know Maryville specifically does not start looking at apps until their deadline is passed. Other schools start setting up interviews and sending acceptances months before the deadline. Good luck to all and please feel free to reply any information you may have about my schools or anything!

35. maddyr28

When did you apply the first round that was too late?

36. maddyr28

What are the chances of getting in if I apply within a month or less? Waiting for a letter of rec. and debating whether or not to get more hours.

Currently, I have 97 hours shadowing (33.5 pediatric school for children with Cerebral Palsy, 16.5 pediatric private practice, 47 adult inpatient rehab). Should I try to get more, even if I only have time for 10-20? I am also working full time as an ABA therapist for children with Autism.

I am worried I took too long and that most spots will be filled by now. Looking to apply to Towson, Thomas Jefferson University, Temple University, Kean, University of the Sciences, and Howard University.

Any thoughts you have about these schools, my chances, and what I should do about hours would be much appreciated!

OTcaligirl likes this.
  37. OTcaligirl

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Your shadow experience and hours look good and I would recommend that you move ahead and get your app submitted. Good luck!

maddyr28 likes this.
  38. otarod01

I submitted beginning of Oct and verification was too late. UTHSA received it completely verified by beginning of Nov. By that time they have a batch that they probably had interview ready.

39. maddyr28

What schools on the east coast do NOT have rolling admissions?

40. Yorit06

It takes 4-6 weeks to process your application through OTCAS so depending on the date your application is actually due, you will have to do the math. You can submit your application and add observation hours at a later date, and they can still submit your letter of recommendation to OTCAS once you’ve submitted, so don’t let that stop you from moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otarod01 likes this.
  41. otarod01

I agree, the sooner you send it in the better. Verification takes longer closer towards deadlines.

42. otarod01

Have you heard back from UTHSA?

43. maddyr28

Wait the letters of rec don't have to be submitted by the time I submit my OTCAS application??

44. Yorit06

You can submit the OTCAS application without all letters being received and your person will still be able to submit letter even though you’ve already hit the submit button and paid. Whether or not they will review your application before all materials get there, that would be a good question to ask OTCAS.

45. enh15

For this term? No, I believe it they start inviting a little closer to the deadline.

otarod01 likes this.
  46. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    How long is too long to wait before applying? I have already submitted to 2 schools and have been verified. The other 2 I am applying to have essays that are taking longer than expected to finish. I plan to submit both of these by 9/30. Help!!!

47. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Also, would anyone be willing to elaborate on how they wrote their school specific essays? I’ve aligned myself with the school using the information in the website. How else have you made yourself stand out in a school specific essay? Help!

48. socal_hopeful19

Hello! This will be my first time applying and I am very nervous but I feel like I have set myself up well enough to be considered!
    School: San Diego State University
    Major: Kinesiology pre-PT
    Cumulative GPA: 3.55
    Pre-req GPA: 3.58
    GRE: 152 V, 157 Q, 4.5 GWA (taking it again because I need at least 3 more points on V)
    Volunteer hours: 300+ (200 in a geriatric outpatient facility, 35 in an adult disabled clinic, 65 in many pediatric clinics)
    LOR: 2 pediatric OTs, my physiology professor, 1 PT who was my supervisor/boss at the geriatric outpatient clinic
    Extracurricular: sports adaptive club, gerontology club, best buddies club
    Work experience: worked at least 15 hours a week every semester of school

Yorit06 likes this.
  49. Yorit06

Do you plan on applying to more than one school? I made that mistake my first time applying, I didn’t even get an interview and I had a GPA of 3.67 @ the time! Your GRE is much higher than mine though!

50. otarod01

Depends on the schools deadlines of like when the application is due. Verification can take 2 weeks alone and during peak periods can take 4 weeks the most! Are you doing Professional Transcript Entry?

51. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I am already verified for other apps. The deadline is December so I suppose I am ok? I did the self-entry. It was pretty easy and saves $!