General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you done the video interview for LLU yet? I sent in my secondary app last week. Just wondering how far they are in the process.

I have my video interview tomorrow. I sent my secondary application in Oct 2nd and got notified of the video interview Oct 19th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! This will be my third year applying for OT. The first year I made the mistake of only applying to one school. Last year I got an interview at 2/5 schools I applied to, and only got waitlisted for one. Here are my stats.

Undergrad: University of Central Arkansas
Major: Sociology
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: Waiting for OTCAS to calculate my cumulative
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.5
Pre-req GPA 3.7-4.0 depending on school

I presented research @ the College of Liberal Arts Symposium, made the deans list several times, received a few scholarships

GRE: 145V 145Q 4W (I know it's not great, but that is my second attempt and I only raised it by 3 points)

Volunteer: Observation hours in outpatient pediatrics, outpatient hand therapy, inpatient rehab (120 hours total)

Letters of Rec: 2 Professors with PhD's, 2 Occupational Therapists, 1 Medical doctor I've worked for the past 5 years

Work experience: I've worked in a hospital setting for 5 years doing sleep studies on a diverse population. I have also been a clinical instructor for our sleep tech students currently enrolled in our program for just as long.

Schools I'm applying to: Georgia State University, University of Central Arkansas, Texas Tech, TWU, Maryville, University of South Alabama, University of OK Health Sciences Center, Washington University, AT Still University, Howard University, Tennessee State University, University of Texas at El Paso, University of St Augustine **also open to other schools if you know of some good ones, preferably Masters level since I will have to pay out of state tuition***

I'm also open to recommendations on how to make my application more competitive! If you have any interview questions that you would like to share feel free. I really want to get in this year so I am all ears!!

Hi! Did you apply to Georgia State last year? Reading everyone's stats is making me feel so nervous! It's really surprising that this is your 3rd year applying to OT school. I am applying to GSU and I have no clue what my chances are. I only have a little over 50 observation hours, but I have been teaching special ed and working with OTs for 8 years so I'm hoping that counts for something! I am still a full time teacher so it's hard to get more hours. I also have a Masters from GSU in Multiple and Severe Disabilities.
My cumulative gpa is kind of low: 3.21
Graduate GPA: 4.0
Prereqs: 4.0 so far, but I still need to take A & P II
GRE: V: 153 Q: 147, W:4.0

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! Did you apply to Georgia State last year? Reading everyone's stats is making me feel so nervous! It's really surprising that this is your 3rd year applying to OT school. I am applying to GSU and I have no clue what my chances are. I only have a little over 50 observation hours, but I have been teaching special ed and working with OTs for 8 years so I'm hoping that counts for something! I am still a full time teacher so it's hard to get more hours. I also have a Masters from GSU in Multiple and Severe Disabilities.
My cumulative gpa is kind of low: 3.21
Graduate GPA: 4.0
Prereqs: 4.0 so far, but I still need to take A & P II
GRE: V: 153 Q: 147, W:4.0

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated!

This is my first year applying to GSU. I think your background makes you a competitive applicant. Some schools will look at your graduate gpa since you already have that, I’m not sure about that school specifically though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently heard back from UINDY and Indiana State.

Indiana State mentioned a "patient simulation", does anyone know any information as to what this could consist of from past experience or from current OT students ?

Reactions: 1 users
I have my video interview tomorrow. I sent my secondary application in Oct 2nd and got notified of the video interview Oct 19th
Good luck!! I’m currently a 2nd year student at LLU! Wish you the best. I know what it’s like to not get in the 1st year. Don’t get discouraged :)

Has anyone applied to ATStill? if so, have you heard anything from them yet?

Has anyone applied to ATStill? if so, have you heard anything from them yet?

I interviewed at A.T. Still for the OTD program (although MOT interviewees were there as well) on 10/26 last Friday. They said they will let us know in about 3-4 weeks about admission decisions.

As far as interview invites, my app was verified on 9/7 and I heard back for an interview on 10/3. Last Friday (10/26) was their first interview day, so more interview invitations should be sent out soon.

Hi guys! just an update I just got invited for my video interview with Loma Linda! my OTCAS app was verified 9/25, LLU received my supplemental app 10/12 and I got invited for the interview today (10/31)! EXCITEDD is an understatement!! for LLU applicants, they are going through the applications in the order they received in, the process does take a few weeks. I was a nervous wreck the last few weeks lol. :)

I heard from Brenau University this morning saying I was accepted! Good luck to those who interviewed there, and I hope you heard or will be hearing from them soon!

Does anyone who applied to Washington University in STL have any idea when we may hear back from them? I know there is no interview, so I was curious when they start accepting students.

I heard from Brenau University this morning saying I was accepted! Good luck to those who interviewed there, and I hope you heard or will be hearing from them soon!
Congrats! How was the interview? What are the questions? What is the prompt for the writing? I have an interview next month and am really nervous. It would be nice if you can help me out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! How was the interview? What are the questions? What is the prompt for the writing? I have an interview next month and am really nervous. It would be nice if you can help me out. Thanks!
I felt like the interview was really relaxed, and everyone was very nice and welcoming. They held group interviews, so I was in a room with three other applicants. They asked basic questions like what is OT to you, how do you manage your time, and general questions about yourself. The writing prompt consisted of a statement related to OT and we had to interpret what it meant to us. It was not bad at all. Don't be too nervous, it wasn't scary at all! Good luck!

Hi guys! just an update I just got invited for my video interview with Loma Linda! my OTCAS app was verified 9/25, LLU received my supplemental app 10/12 and I got invited for the interview today (10/31)! EXCITEDD is an understatement!! for LLU applicants, they are going through the applications in the order they received in, the process does take a few weeks. I was a nervous wreck the last few weeks lol. :)

Told you you would! Yay!

Applied: Boston, Tufts, UIC, Rush, Midwestern, UWM, UW-Madison
Interview: Boston, Rush, Midwestern
Acceptances: Tufts

Has anyone heard from any of these schools or also have interviews scheduled?!

Does anybody know if the university of texas at el paso (UTEP) had a supplemental application?

Does anybody know if the university of texas at el paso (UTEP) had a supplemental application?

I did not see a supplemental application listed on their website or in the instructions on OTCAS, so I’m gonna go with no. Generally they put a link to the supplemental applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they don't. I submitted my otcas app about 3 weeks ago and they emailed me 2 days ago saying it was complete and was sent for full review.

Update!
Good luck everyone!

University: Slippery Rock University
Major: Healthcare Administration and Management
Cumulative GPA: 3.37
Last 60 GPA: 3.68
PreReq: 3.8-4.0 (Depending upon Uni.)
GRE: 140 Q, 150 V, 4.0 AWA (Need to retake, UGH)

Observation:
- 10 hrs Pediatric Inpatient
- 120 hrs Pediatric Outpatient (2 locations)
- 109 hrs Hand Therapy

Professional Experience: Direct Support Professional for individuals with special needs, Health information coordinator for a LIFE Program, intern at a SNF, Admin. Assistant at a LIFE Program, and Intern at a Home Health & Rehab Company, Program Coordinator for health insurance plan

Volunteer: OT Volunteer at local hospital, Volunteer at The Friendship Circle, Volunteer at OPEN Streets (promoting physical activity), volunteer at a walk for local children's hospital, volunteer internship, volunteer with american cancer society

Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders club, American Marketing Association, Adapted Physical Activity Club, Intramural soccer, Running in races that benefit charity

LOR: 2 OT, 2 Professor, 1 Coworker

Applied to: Chatham, Gannon U (Erie Campus), Pitt
Interviews: Chatham (12/8)
Acceptances: Gannon University

What are my chances?
Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Applied: Boston, Tufts, UIC, Rush, Midwestern, UWM, UW-Madison
Interview: Boston, Rush, Midwestern
Acceptances: Tufts

Has anyone heard from any of these schools or also have interviews scheduled?!
I have an interview with Midwestern(AZ) 12/18. I submitted for Midwestern(IL) and Midwestern(AZ) at the same time but only heard back from one

Anyone know if OTCAS calculates pre req GPA per school? My app just got verified and I was expecting it to be lower and praise Jesus it wasn’t! My OTCAS gpa was the same w all my schools gpa, however, I do not see my pre reqs gpa... is this normal?
random question: How do you view your OTCAS GPA?

random question: How do you view your OTCAS GPA?
Open the PDF version of your application and it will be there with your grades for each university you submitted transcripts with. There is a section for GPA.

Has anyone heard back from Midwestern-AZ about decisions?

Has anyone heard back from Midwestern-AZ about decisions?
I still have my interview on 12/18. If I am not mistaken, I think they will start accepting people after the rounds of interviews. Did you already have an interview? If so, how was it?

Does anyone know Georgia State sends out decisions?
Not sure, but I am waiting to hear from them too! Please let us know if you hear anything! I might email them this week to see if I can find out any info.

I still have my interview on 12/18. If I am not mistaken, I think they will start accepting people after the rounds of interviews. Did you already have an interview? If so, how was it?

I interviewed back near the end of September and still waiting on a response. As for the interview day, it lasted for around 4-5 hours. There’s a tour, a talk with the fieldwork coordinator and with financial aid, and a lunch with current students. They gave us up to 30 minutes for the interview. It’s a one on one interview with two faculty members. They only asked me maybe 5 questions? But yah, everyone was incredibly nice and sweet and made us all felt super comfortable and relaxed. Good luck!

I have my interview for them on Nov. 27th. I wonder when they will start to send out acceptances.

I felt like the interview was really relaxed, and everyone was very nice and welcoming. They held group interviews, so I was in a room with three other applicants. They asked basic questions like what is OT to you, how do you manage your time, and general questions about yourself. The writing prompt consisted of a statement related to OT and we had to interpret what it meant to us. It was not bad at all. Don't be too nervous, it wasn't scary at all! Good luck!
Thank you so much:)

Has anyone gotten an interview from UTHSC or from Texas Tech? applied to UTHSC at the beginning of October and just submitted the supplemental application for Texas Tech at the beginning of November.

Has anyone gotten an interview from UTHSC or from Texas Tech? applied to UTHSC at the beginning of October and just submitted the supplemental application for Texas Tech at the beginning of November.
I have an interview with Texas Tech on the 16th. I believe they do multiple interviews so don’t stress. I sent my application in early August

I have an interview with Texas Tech on the 16th. I believe they do multiple interviews so don’t stress. I sent my application in early August
That's awesome! Let me know how that interview goes. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? Being that you have an interview already. I'm so nervous about not receiving one!

That's awesome! Let me know how that interview goes. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? Being that you have an interview already. I'm so nervous about not receiving one!
Applying to: Rockhurst University, Nebraska Methodist College, Creighton University, Cox College, Allen College, and Texas Tech
Major: Kinesiology Major - Pre-Occupational Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on program
Observation hours: 140+ out-patient pediatrics within 2 settings, 10 in-patient hospital
Volunteer: YoungLife (Christian Ministry) - 800+ hours, Zoo Volunteer - 10 hours, Life Church Youth Group Leader - 50 hours. Also an Athlete at my undergraduate university.
5 LORs: 2OT, 2 College Professors, and 1 Boss who has a handicap son.

Don’t stress. It’s my second time applying and I submitted my application way early. I am sure you’ll hear back soon

Yeah I anticipate UT Health San Antonio should be sending out emails hopefully by next week or week of Thanksgiving. They do interviews in Dec and Jan.
I submitted my application end of Aug and it was verified middle of Sept.

Applying to: Rockhurst University, Nebraska Methodist College, Creighton University, Cox College, Allen College, and Texas Tech
Major: Kinesiology Major - Pre-Occupational Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on program
Observation hours: 140+ out-patient pediatrics within 2 settings, 10 in-patient hospital
Volunteer: YoungLife (Christian Ministry) - 800+ hours, Zoo Volunteer - 10 hours, Life Church Youth Group Leader - 50 hours. Also an Athlete at my undergraduate university.
5 LORs: 2OT, 2 College Professors, and 1 Boss who has a handicap son.

Don’t stress. It’s my second time applying and I submitted my application way early. I am sure you’ll hear back soon

Those are great stats. I wish I had volunteer hours, but I don't. I hope that doesn't weaken my application. Thanks for your output!

Yeah I anticipate UT Health San Antonio should be sending out emails hopefully by next week or week of Thanksgiving. They do interviews in Dec and Jan.
I submitted my application end of Aug and it was verified middle of Sept.

Oh okay, sounds good. I recently found out that I had sent my official GRE scores to the wrong code and I realized it after the deadline. I still submitted them, but I feel like my application might not even be reviewed because of that reason. Super bummed!

Does anyone know Georgia State sends out decisions?

I got an email from GSU this morning:
The Admissions Committee at Georgia State University Occupational Therapy Program is reviewing applications and is scheduling dates for interviews. The first round of interviews has been scheduled for this week. Future interview dates will be at the end of November and in January. We hope to make final decisions immediately after interviews have been conducted and no later than mid February.

Has anyone heard anything else?

I got an email from GSU this morning:
The Admissions Committee at Georgia State University Occupational Therapy Program is reviewing applications and is scheduling dates for interviews. The first round of interviews has been scheduled for this week. Future interview dates will be at the end of November and in January. We hope to make final decisions immediately after interviews have been conducted and no later than mid February.

Has anyone heard anything else?

I got the same email this morning. Is anyone scheduled for the interview this week?

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Just an update. I will be interviewing with Texas Tech on Dec. 1st. I'd love to connect with those that may be interviewing the same day or have interviewed already!

Oh okay, sounds good. I recently found out that I had sent my official GRE scores to the wrong code and I realized it after the deadline. I still submitted them, but I feel like my application might not even be reviewed because of that reason. Super bummed!

Don't give up you never know.
I am hoping I hear from them soon, I live in Cali so I would have to book my flight the moment I get an email from them. UT Health San Antonio is my top choice

Update: interview invitation at Samuel Merritt Looking for feedback! I'm so nervous!

University: New School University
Major: Liberal Arts
Overall GPA: 3.8
Post Bacc GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Last 60: 4.0

GRE: Verbal: 167, Quant: 153, Writing: 5

LOR: 2 OT, 1 neuroscientist with lots of awards, 1 professor

OT observation/volunteering: 90+ hours peds outpatient, 17 hand therapy, 27 school for kids/young adult with autism

other volunteering: 119 hours as volunteer research associate at UCSF w/ neuroscientist who is gave me the LOR (coauthored a paper). 150 hours at a hospital in a very low income area. 150 with PTs. 27 at intensive school for adults with low/no vision- lots of ADLs/IADLs but no OT.

Work: 8 years as a nanny/tutor. Some of the kids had behavioral/feeding etc issues, no official disabilities.

applied/applying: Dominican U of CA, Samuel Merritt, San Jose State, Loma Linda, Texas Woman's, UTH San Antonio, Augusta, University of Washington
interviews: Augusta (I declined), Loma Linda, Samuel Merritt (12/15)
rejections:
accepted:

I'm nervous about my number of volunteering hour, my unrelated undergrad, and having only had one job, which is in a more or less unrelated area, and that I'm not sure I knew my OTs, especially one of them, well enough to get a really in-depth LOR.

Last edited:
Looking for feedback! I'm so nervous!

University: New School University
Major: Liberal Arts
Overall GPA: 3.8
Post Bacc GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Last 60: 4.0

GRE: Verbal: 167, Quant: 153, Writing: 5

LOR: 2 OT, 1 neuroscientist with lots of awards, 1 professor

OT observation/volunteering: 90+ hours peds outpatient, 17 hand therapy, 27 school for kids/young adult with autism

other volunteering: 119 hours as volunteer research associate at UCSF w/ neuroscientist who is gave me the LOR (coauthored a paper). 150 hours at a hospital in very poor/dangerous area. 150 with PTs. 27 at intensive school for adults with low/no vision- lots of ADLs/IADLs but no OT.

Work: 8 years as a nanny/tutor. Some of the kids had behavioral/feeding etc issues, no official disabilities.

applied/applying: Dominican U of CA, Samuel Merritt, San Jose State, Loma Linda, Texas Woman's, UTH San Antonio, Augusta, University of Washington
interviews: Augusta (I declined), Loma Linda
rejections:
accepted:

I'm nervous about my number of volunteering hour, my unrelated undergrad, and having only had one job, which is in a more or less unrelated area, and that I'm not sure I knew my OTs, especially one of them, well enough to get a really in-depth LOR.
I think you should have ZERO worries lol your stats and everything loooks AMAZING. Why didn’t you apply to cal state Dominguez hills? Your gpa and GRE alone would have gotten you straight in their program! Amazing stats and overall application numbers!!

I interviewed with LLU too.. did you interview already? That’s my top choice. What’s your top choice?

I think you should have ZERO worries lol your stats and everything loooks AMAZING. Why didn’t you apply to cal state Dominguez hills? Your gpa and GRE alone would have gotten you straight in their program! Amazing stats and overall application numbers!!

I interviewed with LLU too.. did you interview already? That’s my top choice. What’s your top choice?

Thank you!! That helps to hear. I just read through everyone’s stats and they all have sooo many extracurriculars and other things. I got insecure.

I would have applied to Dominguez but I was running late and they had a deadline that was earlier than all the other schools! I wish I’d noticed how early it was sooner!

My top is Samuel Merritt. I have visited and love the program! Loma Linda sounds really great too.

Oh I forgot to answer... yes I had my LLU interview but I’m not sure it went well. hope yours was good!

Oh I forgot to answer... yes I had my LLU interview but I’m not sure it went well. hope yours was good!
I think my interview went well!! I hope the interviewer thought so too lol my observation hours numbers is super low compared to most but I have paid experience as a behavior interventionist and in special education I’m also older just turned 32 and this is my second time applying I was adviced to improved my app by getting jobs within the field of special need as a substitute for special education k-12 and as a behavior interventionist with kids with autism and other developmental disabilities. And my ot mentor wrote a pretty good LOR, but this whole process I’m leaving in God’s hands because I truly know I’m called to this field one way or another lol but LLU is my #1 choice their curriculum and values aligns with my goals and beliefs as far as this journey goes.

I think my interview went well!! I hope the interviewer thought so too lol my observation hours numbers is super low compared to most but I have paid experience as a behavior interventionist and in special education I’m also older just turned 32 and this is my second time applying I was adviced to improved my app by getting jobs within the field of special need as a substitute for special education k-12 and as a behavior interventionist with kids with autism and other developmental disabilities. And my ot mentor wrote a pretty good LOR, but this whole process I’m leaving in God’s hands because I truly know I’m called to this field one way or another lol but LLU is my #1 choice their curriculum and values aligns with my goals and beliefs as far as this journey goes.

I am 33. :) I'm no expert, but I think paid experience directly working with patients/students is even better than volunteering. I am sure that will make up for it. And you sound like a perfect fit for LLU! Good luck!!:xf::xf: