Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by gatorvot, Jul 9, 2018.

1. mbOT626

University: University of North Georgia
    Major: Kinesiology
    Graduating: May 2019
    Overall GPA undergrad: 3.61
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.4 Depending on Requirements for Schools
    GRE: 149Q, 145Q, 4.0AW
    Applying to: Georgia State, Brenau, MUSC, Wingate, James Madison, Emory & Henry

Observation Hours
    10 Inpatient: Cardiovascular, Oncology, ICU
    18 Inpatient: Neuro
    268 Outpatient Pediatrics (Summer intern)
    28 Skilled Nursing/Geriatric
    1200+ Working as a Unit Secretary at a Skilled Nursing Facility

Extras:
    40 hours in as an assistant Autism Feeding Disorder research study
    President of UNG Occupational Therapy Club
    Member of 2 National Honor Societies- Lambda Theta Alpha, Mu Epsilon Delta
    Member of Kinesiology Club, Medical Outreach club
    Dean's list x 5 semesters

Letters of Rec:
    OT Supervisor at Pedatric Clinic i interned at
    OT I shadowed at the SNF that I work at
    A professor who served on the PT board at my school, whom I have also taken classes with

Found out today I landed an interview at Wingate!! (Woohoo!!)

Yorit06 likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yorit06

I applied to Georgia State & Emory & Henry as well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Good luck everyone!

University: Slippery Rock University
    Major: Healthcare Administration and Management
    Cumulative GPA: 3.37
    Last 60 GPA: 3.68
    PreReq: 3.8-4.0 (Depending upon Uni.)
    GRE: 140 Q, 150 V, 4.0 AWA (Need to retake, UGH)

Observation:
    - 10 hrs Pediatric Inpatient
    - 120 hrs Pediatric Outpatient (2 locations)
    - 109 hrs Hand Therapy

Professional Experience: Direct Support Professional for individuals with special needs, Health information coordinator for a LIFE Program, intern at a SNF, Admin. Assistant at a LIFE Program, and Intern at a Home Health & Rehab Company, Program Coordinator for health insurance plan

Volunteer: OT Volunteer at local hospital, Volunteer at The Friendship Circle, Volunteer at OPEN Streets (promoting physical activity), volunteer at a walk for local children's hospital, volunteer internship, volunteer with american cancer society

Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders club, American Marketing Association, Adapted Physical Activity Club, Intramural soccer, Running in races that benefit charity

LOR: 2 OT, 2 Professor, 1 Coworker

Applied to: Chatham, Gannon U (Erie Campus) so far. Will probably apply to Pitt as well once the essays are finished.

What are my chances?

5. Yorit06

I feel like we all focus on our GPA/GRE a lot. Honestly I feel like the main thing we need to focus on is doing well on the interviews, when we get them. I’ve gotten 2 interviews and 0 acceptances (last year). My last 60 hours was a 3.5. GRE was 145V 145Q 4AW. I had way less volunteer hours than you, way less observation hours as well. So I feel like your application is still competitive and you should get an interview. I would suggest applying to more schools if you aren’t against going out of state. I only applied to 5 schools last year and received 2 interviews and 3 rejections. I have learned this is an extremely competitive field!!!

6. JinCT

Unlike many others, I am seriously hoping that schools will not require an onsite interview. I am taking care of my mother who is chronically ill and cannot travel, so if a school requires an interview I have to decline. My other attributes are pretty good..

7. Yorit06

Usually it will tell you on the schools website if an in person interview is required. So far I’ve only seen one program that has mentioned they could do a video interview under certain circumstances. I haven’t came across very many schools that don’t require an interview at all though.

otarod01 likes this.
  8. JinCT

There are places thst do not require an interview. On the opposite side of the spectrum is Findlay, ehich has one interview date of 11/9, and candidates who cant make that date are denied. Doesnt seem like a wise way to attract a qualified pool of candidates.

9. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Thanks so much for the feedback! Where did you apply last year? Are you applying again this round?

I'd love to look out of state but unfortunately my circumstances (Marriage, home owner) will not allow me to make that move! I'm going to apply to 2 more schools in the area once I finish the essays. The essays are holding me back or I'd already have applied. Im not opposed to applying a second round either if needed be! Its definitely super competitive but thank you for the bout of confidence!!! I really appreciate it. My app has definitely improved over the past year. What did you do since the rejections to improve? If you don't mind sharing...

Fingers crossed for all of us!

#108 gOT2beOT, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  10. Yorit06

I have retaken prereqs which has raised my prereq gpa dramatically. I sent my resume to career services @ that school I did my bachelors at so they could review/give feedback. Shadowed in additional OT settings. I also plan on doing mock interviews to strengthen myself in that area as well!

otarod01 and gOT2beOT like this.
  11. gOT2beOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Thats so smart! I was told to do mock interviews at the school I'll interview at if I should get the invite to do so!!!

Yorit06 likes this.
  12. otarod01

Loma Linda University. If you make it to the second phase of applicants, they send you a prompt of some sort with questions and require you to record a 5 minute video.

13. otarod01

Hello!!! Woot! No I work here at LLU Med Center and pretty much my whole life has revolved around this hospital and university. It's an amazing program, the classrooms are amazing and its a fantastic school. I retook Anatomy and Physio here, and I am glad I did. I initially had a C and B and retaking it here I received A's. My first choice is UT Health San Antonio. I have fallen in love with that school and want to move to Texas.

14. otarod01

I took it the first time at Chaffey and got a B and C. Then same grade at CSUSB! Frusrtating, but glad I retook it here. It feels fresh and familiar. And yes, 2nd time applicants! Praying for an interview and acceptance! :)

15. JinCT

Pitt states right on their site they do not do interviews. Some do via skype, others do only for marginal candidates. Yet others place the highest priority on interviews. Its all over the map, and trying to figure out who does what is the hardest piece of this puzzle.

16. rachelgreen123

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I wouldn't stress too much, I applied to a few out of state schools last year, and asked for Skype interviews instead due to financial issues and was approved for both, and funny enough those were both the schools I got into! So I think its very possible to not have to do physical interviews!

17. OurJourneyToOT

Anyone know if OTCAS calculates pre req GPA per school? My app just got verified and I was expecting it to be lower and praise Jesus it wasn’t! My OTCAS gpa was the same w all my schools gpa, however, I do not see my pre reqs gpa... is this normal?

18. otarod01

Yes I believe your actual school calculates the pre-req GPA. And I think some schools calculate their own cum GPA and some do not go off OTCAs.

OurJourneyToOT likes this.
  19. OurJourneyToOT

Awesome thank you!! Btw have you received the supplemental app from LLU ?

otarod01 likes this.
  20. otarod01

I just got it today! Going to start working on it today and submit it by Friday.

21. OurJourneyToOT

When did you get verified btw?

22. otarod01

My application was verified and sent to the schools Sept 20 Thurs.

23. OT1095

Hey everyone so I am a bit confused on the verification process. Does your application have to be verified before you submit to your desired schools? Or do you submit to your desired schools first and then it goes through the verification process?

24. Yorit06

Once you submit to the schools then it goes through the verification process! You don’t have to submit all the applications at once, but at least submit one application and that gets the ball rolling. If anything is wrong they will boot out your application and then reject it so you can fix it before they actually send it to the school.

OT1095 likes this.
  25. enh15

Anyone apply to any Indiana schools? Curious about what ya'll think about different institutions.

26. LiciousOT

I wish someone told me this ‍♀️ I could’ve submitted my application weeks ago. I submitted my application yesterday for UTMB and TWU. I’m scared it won’t be verified on time.

27. nerual15

Hi! Also in the application process (applying to WUSTL, Colo State, Worcester State, BU, Tufts, MCPHS, and Springfield) and wondering how my stats compare with those of people who generally get accepted. Here they are:

Major: Human Services & Rehab Studies (concentration in OT), minor: Spanish
    Overall GPA: 3.8
    Prerequisite GPA: 3.5 - 3.6
    GRE: 154 V, 150 Q, 4.5 W
    Observations: pediatrics, inpatient and outpatient rehab; mental health; special education
    Work experience: mental health worker at psychiatric facility
    Lots of campus involvement in service and ministry including leading spring break service trips
    LORs from OT professor, volunteer director, and work OT supervisor

Feeling very good about letters of recommendation, personal statements and overall academics, but curious how GRE/prereqs measure up. Some schools are test-optional, but I'd rather not rely simply on those schools.

Any advice is greatly appreciated; good luck to my fellow OT applicants!

28. OT21212121

Hi all! I was hoping to get a little advice on my stats and see how I compare to other applicants. Any advice would be wonderful! :)

Major: {Dual Degree (BS & BA) in Kinesiology & Psychology}
    Overall GPA: 3.5
    OTCAS GPA: 3.37
    Prerequisite GPA: 3.5 - 3.8
    GRE: 147V, 148Q, 4.0W {Most schools have no minimum or do not require}
    Observations: Pediatrics, Outpatient, & State School
    Work experience: 3 years as a Teacher's Assistant
    Service: 50+ Hours Local (Cancer Support Group & VFW)
    Leadership: First Year Mentor
    Letters of Recommendation: Boss from work, OT, 2 Professors
    Applied/Applying to: KU Med, Rockhurst, Cox, Mizzou, Drake, St. Ambrose, Indiana Wesleyan, Belmont, Methodist, & Wingate

Please let me know what you all think! GOOD LUCK to everyone throughout this process! :)

Yorit06 likes this.
  29. alc12

Hello! I am Community Health Undergrad
    GPA: 3.62

GRE: 155, 156, 5.0

Observation: 320 hours at hospital for an internship (inpatient, outpatient, acute, rehab, peds, neuro, ortho, healthy aging)
    -35 hours assisted living
    -35 hours rehab inpatient

Experiences: Over 1,500 volunteer hours for Service Dog organization (Trainer 4 years, Fundraising chair 1 year, President 1 year)
    -1 year Undergrad research assistant in Human Factors and Aging Lab
    -1.5 years Personal Assistant (PA) for student with disability
    -320 Hour internship with the Director of Therapy Services at major hospital
    -2 summers as an inclusion aide for children with disabilities
    -3 years Dietary Aide at a nursing home
    -CPR/AED Certified

I believe I have a strong personal statement.

Letters of Rec (4) : Internship supervisor (SLP, but oversaw OT shadowing), Lab director (PhD), student who I PA for, CEO of Service Dog organization

Honors/Recognition: 5 semesters Dean's List, Honor's student, scholarships, etc.

All of my applications were submitted/verified by August/1st week of September. I received confirmation emails of submission from UIC, Rush, and Midwestern who all said my application is being reviewed.

Applied: University of Illinois-Chicago, Midwestern (DG), Rush, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, Carroll, Lewis
    Interviews:
    Rejections:
    Acceptions:

tsunamiBae07 likes this.
  30. tsunamiBae07

MDApps:
    MDApps:

Hi!!

I'm also a community health major! Your stats are pretty awesome! I applied to OT schools in Illinois and I heard from Midwestern and Northcentral for an interview. I am still waiting for other schools tho. But I am very worried about my stats because my GRE is too low :( I'm really bad at the standardized test.

Goodluck tho and keep me posted!

alc12 likes this.
  31. alc12

That's awesome! I don't think you should focus on one stat that might be lower. The right school will look at your experiences and stats holistically. Can I ask, when did you apply to Midwestern and when did you hear about an interview? They emailed me about 1 week ago that they received all of my materials and I set up my student account and everything, but haven't heard beyond that.

32. otarod01

Just submitted my supplemental application yesterday. You?

33. bbaidydo

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    University: Tennessee State University graduated in 2017
    Major: Health Sciences
    Overall GPA: 3.0
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.1
    Last 60: 3.3
    GRE: 155, 156, 5.0

Extra-Curric: National Council of Negro Women Inc. TSU Wesley Foundation
    Employment: St. Louis Children's Hospital
    Volunteer: St. Louis Arc, Hands On Nashville, Nashville General Hospital
    Observation: 143 hrs. Outpatient & Inpatient rehab, and Pediatric clinic
    Recommendations: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 1 Work Manager
    Certifications: CPR, QPR Suicide Prevention

Applying/ Applied: Missouri State University, Maryville University of St. Louis, A. T. Still University (Arizona), FAMU, University of Central Arkansas, Emory & Henry College, Nova Southern University, Barry University, Gannon University, University of St. Augustine (Austin)

I am currently retaking some preqs at my local community college. I am applying to so many schools because of my low gpa. I'm open to any advice to straighten my application.

34. Yorit06

If I’ve learned anything, you can never apply to too many OT schools. It’s extremely competitive. I’ve applied to quite a few of the same schools as you, and then some. Literally I have like 19 applications on OTCAS! Just don’t give up, redo what prereqs you can, and practice for interviews. I can tell you from experience that UCA interview was rough

35. Bernice17

I am old applicant, and mid-career switcher. I think you should apply more programs if your financial ability allows you to do so. I applied more than 15 programs to reduce the odds (my age), and increase the likelihood of interwiew calls. I put high attention to those programs that not required interview, or they can offer electronic interview, and few with in person interview programs.
    I thought a lot about out of state programs as i prefer programs close to my home, I have many obligations or a desire to stay with my children and my parents. I have a mortgage, car loan, childcare expenses. However, if I limit myself in state programs, i might increase my odds of not getting into programs, as well as the expensive cost of application.
    So far I got few of interview calls.
    Good luck

Hopeful OTD likes this.
  36. Hopeful OTD

Thank you, I was thinking about applying to out of state programs "closer" to home. I do not want to move, so thinking about commuting drives me bonkers. I have to do what I have to do though. There is a Weekend part time program in Michigan, but as I started filling out the app, it was so much busy work. They are not on OTCAS and I feel like I would irritate my LORers by asking them to send a paper copy.

Bernice17 likes this.
  37. MidlandOT

What is low for you on the GRE?

If you wanna have a chance at Lewis, you got to get a competitive GRE score 295 the absolute lowest. On their website, they mention they require a minimum of 300 (150/150). I think they state that for a reason. I went to one of their info sessions and they put a big emphasis on the GRE because they said it has a strong correlation to exams like the NBCOT.

Somewhere on this topic post, an applicant was emailed by Lewis to increase their GRE score to have a chance. Rush is even worse. They require a minimum of 302 on the GRE.

I think it really is your best interest to take the GRE again. There are several resources you can use to get a higher score: Official ETS book, Magoosh, Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.

#136 MidlandOT, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  38. PreOTGirl

Just curious, when did you apply to midwestern and when did you have your interview?

alc12 likes this.
  39. Hopeful OTD

me? this was last cycle....I applied November 1st and had interview a few weeks before Christmas

#138 Hopeful OTD, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  40. MidlandOT

I’m not knocking on you. I actually agree that the GRE is whack. I dreaded every single minute of taking it.

But the fact of the matter is that they value the GRE for whatever reason, whether we like it or not, so I’m trying to guide you to strengthen your chances at those schools. I had first hand person to person experiences and conversation with faculty at Lewis and I’m just reiterating what they’ve told me.

enh15 likes this.
  41. Hopeful OTD

No, I really DO appreciate it! :)

42. OurJourneyToOT

I’m submitting mine tomorrow! I’m making final edits and submitting it! I’m excited & nervous! I just want to be able to at least make it to the second round and get the video interview! My supp app is totally my heart and soul but I want them to see it beyond what’s on paper. ahhhhh I JUST really want to be at LLU, but trusting God in this process and just trying to be at peace and enjoy this process unlike Last year When I applied to one program and I was a stress maniac... Ahhhhh excited nonetheless!!! :)

#141 OurJourneyToOT, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    otarod01 likes this.
  43. Yorit06

Do y’all know of any other programs that will look at your last 60 hours instead of your cumulative.

I’m a non-traditional student, and my first 2 years of college has tanked my cumulative GPA, and although I have repeated several of the classes OTCAS does not give you credit for it.

So far the schools I’ve come across for last 60 are University of Central AR, Texas Woman’s, Towson, University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois.

I don’t care where at in the US the program is, as long as it goes off my last 60 hours. I’d really like to get into a program this year!

Help a sister out, this is stressful

LiciousOT likes this.
  44. aspiringot96

Hey all,

For those who applied to AT still, are you supposed to send them your observation hours, letter of rec, etc? Bc the checklist for task is confusing me!

45. Husky19

Hello I applied there! I'm assuming you're talking about after you get the supplemental application? You don't have to send them anything extra, they should update in time!

46. aspiringot96

Ooh yeah mine was complete a few hours after I sumitted the application. When did you apply and have you heard back from them? I’m pretty nervous lol. Also, for your OT hours did you get someone to sign off on all of it?

47. aspiringot96

I think Pacific University does!! They don’t require GRE either

Yorit06 likes this.
  48. Husky19

I got an email on 9/13 saying that my file was under review, but haven’t heard back yet! I just emailed them and they said it could take 8-13 weeks, though I do know someone who has heard back already. And no, I only had one OT sign off on my hours (80).

49. aspiringot96

Good luck to you!! :) it seems like they’ve been responding back pretty fast. I got an email from admission saying my file is ready for review then I got another one from diversity lool. Too nervous.. what r ur stats if you don’t mind me asking?

50. Husky19

Sure!
    GPA: 3.9
    GRE: V157 Q154 W4.5
    Major: Double major in Human development and family studies and Speech, language, hearing sciences

Extra: Honors program, thesis in the works, historian of national honors fraternity, President of Honors Council, volunteer at a camp for children and adults with developmental disabilities, Dean's list every semester, Sophomore Honors award, member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, camp counselor, child care trainee at a child development center

OT Hours: About 300 in SNF and pediatric outpatient facilities

51. OurJourneyToOT

I believe West coast (if I’m not mistaken) and SJSU in California only looks at last 60 units go on AOTA and search under CA schools. Some CA schools only consider last 60 units

Yorit06 likes this.