General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck everyone!

University: Slippery Rock University
Major: Healthcare Administration and Management
Cumulative GPA: 3.37
Last 60 GPA: 3.68
PreReq: 3.8-4.0 (Depending upon Uni.)
GRE: 140 Q, 150 V, 4.0 AWA (Need to retake, UGH)

Observation:
- 10 hrs Pediatric Inpatient
- 120 hrs Pediatric Outpatient (2 locations)
- 109 hrs Hand Therapy

Professional Experience: Direct Support Professional for individuals with special needs, Health information coordinator for a LIFE Program, intern at a SNF, Admin. Assistant at a LIFE Program, and Intern at a Home Health & Rehab Company, Program Coordinator for health insurance plan

Volunteer: OT Volunteer at local hospital, Volunteer at The Friendship Circle, Volunteer at OPEN Streets (promoting physical activity), volunteer at a walk for local children's hospital, volunteer internship, volunteer with american cancer society

Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders club, American Marketing Association, Adapted Physical Activity Club, Intramural soccer, Running in races that benefit charity

LOR: 2 OT, 2 Professor, 1 Coworker

Applied to: Chatham, Gannon U (Erie Campus) so far. Will probably apply to Pitt as well once the essays are finished.

What are my chances?
 
Good luck everyone!

University: Slippery Rock University
Major: Healthcare Administration and Management
Cumulative GPA: 3.37
Last 60 GPA: 3.68
PreReq: 3.8-4.0 (Depending upon Uni.)
GRE: 140 Q, 150 V, 4.0 AWA (Need to retake, UGH)

Observation:
- 10 hrs Pediatric Inpatient
- 120 hrs Pediatric Outpatient (2 locations)
- 109 hrs Hand Therapy

Professional Experience: Direct Support Professional for individuals with special needs, Health information coordinator for a LIFE Program, intern at a SNF, Admin. Assistant at a LIFE Program, and Intern at a Home Health & Rehab Company, Program Coordinator for health insurance plan

Volunteer: OT Volunteer at local hospital, Volunteer at The Friendship Circle, Volunteer at OPEN Streets (promoting physical activity), volunteer at a walk for local children's hospital, volunteer internship, volunteer with american cancer society

Extracurricular: Future Healthcare Leaders club, American Marketing Association, Adapted Physical Activity Club, Intramural soccer, Running in races that benefit charity

LOR: 2 OT, 2 Professor, 1 Coworker

Applied to: Chatham, Gannon U (Erie Campus) so far. Will probably apply to Pitt as well once the essays are finished.

What are my chances?

I feel like we all focus on our GPA/GRE a lot. Honestly I feel like the main thing we need to focus on is doing well on the interviews, when we get them. I’ve gotten 2 interviews and 0 acceptances (last year). My last 60 hours was a 3.5. GRE was 145V 145Q 4AW. I had way less volunteer hours than you, way less observation hours as well. So I feel like your application is still competitive and you should get an interview. I would suggest applying to more schools if you aren’t against going out of state. I only applied to 5 schools last year and received 2 interviews and 3 rejections. I have learned this is an extremely competitive field!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Unlike many others, I am seriously hoping that schools will not require an onsite interview. I am taking care of my mother who is chronically ill and cannot travel, so if a school requires an interview I have to decline. My other attributes are pretty good..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unlike many others, I am seriously hoping that schools will not require an onsite interview. I am taking care of my mother who is chronically ill and cannot travel, so if a school requires an interview I have to decline. My other attributes are pretty good..

Usually it will tell you on the schools website if an in person interview is required. So far I’ve only seen one program that has mentioned they could do a video interview under certain circumstances. I haven’t came across very many schools that don’t require an interview at all though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
There are places thst do not require an interview. On the opposite side of the spectrum is Findlay, ehich has one interview date of 11/9, and candidates who cant make that date are denied. Doesnt seem like a wise way to attract a qualified pool of candidates.
 
I feel like we all focus on our GPA/GRE a lot. Honestly I feel like the main thing we need to focus on is doing well on the interviews, when we get them. I’ve gotten 2 interviews and 0 acceptances (last year). My last 60 hours was a 3.5. GRE was 145V 145Q 4AW. I had way less volunteer hours than you, way less observation hours as well. So I feel like your application is still competitive and you should get an interview. I would suggest applying to more schools if you aren’t against going out of state. I only applied to 5 schools last year and received 2 interviews and 3 rejections. I have learned this is an extremely competitive field!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for the feedback! Where did you apply last year? Are you applying again this round?

I'd love to look out of state but unfortunately my circumstances (Marriage, home owner) will not allow me to make that move! I'm going to apply to 2 more schools in the area once I finish the essays. The essays are holding me back or I'd already have applied. Im not opposed to applying a second round either if needed be! Its definitely super competitive but thank you for the bout of confidence!!! I really appreciate it. My app has definitely improved over the past year. What did you do since the rejections to improve? If you don't mind sharing...

Fingers crossed for all of us!
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much for the feedback! Are you applying again this round?

I'd love to look out of state but unfortunately my circumstances (Marriage, home owner) will not allow me to make that move! I'm going to apply to 2 more schools in the area once I finish the essays. The essays are holding me back or I'd already have applied. Im not opposed to applying a second round either if needed be! Its definitely super competitive but thank you for the bout of confidence!!! I really appreciate it. My app has definitely improved over the past year. What did you do since the rejections to improve? If you don't mind sharing...

Fingers crossed for all of us!

I have retaken prereqs which has raised my prereq gpa dramatically. I sent my resume to career services @ that school I did my bachelors at so they could review/give feedback. Shadowed in additional OT settings. I also plan on doing mock interviews to strengthen myself in that area as well!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have retaken prereqs which has raised my prereq gpa dramatically. I sent my resume to career services @ that school I did my bachelors at so they could review/give feedback. Shadowed in additional OT settings. I also plan on doing mock interviews to strengthen myself in that area as well!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats so smart! I was told to do mock interviews at the school I'll interview at if I should get the invite to do so!!!
 
Unlike many others, I am seriously hoping that schools will not require an onsite interview. I am taking care of my mother who is chronically ill and cannot travel, so if a school requires an interview I have to decline. My other attributes are pretty good..

Loma Linda University. If you make it to the second phase of applicants, they send you a prompt of some sort with questions and require you to record a 5 minute video.
 
Just saying Hi Fellow CSUSB ALUMNI!! 🙂 is LLU your top choice??

Hello!!! Woot! No I work here at LLU Med Center and pretty much my whole life has revolved around this hospital and university. It's an amazing program, the classrooms are amazing and its a fantastic school. I retook Anatomy and Physio here, and I am glad I did. I initially had a C and B and retaking it here I received A's. My first choice is UT Health San Antonio. I have fallen in love with that school and want to move to Texas.
 
Did you take a&p first time at CSUSB???? Bc if you did, I EMPATHIZE with you and wish the admissions committee knew what that meant lol. Ahh, see I am IN LOVE WITH LLU, everything abt their program makes my heart so full lol, and the university has the utmost serene atmosphere. Good luck to you this cycle, being re-applicants, I’m believing this is OUR year! 🙂


I took it the first time at Chaffey and got a B and C. Then same grade at CSUSB! Frusrtating, but glad I retook it here. It feels fresh and familiar. And yes, 2nd time applicants! Praying for an interview and acceptance! 🙂
 
Pitt states right on their site they do not do interviews. Some do via skype, others do only for marginal candidates. Yet others place the highest priority on interviews. Its all over the map, and trying to figure out who does what is the hardest piece of this puzzle.
 
Unlike many others, I am seriously hoping that schools will not require an onsite interview. I am taking care of my mother who is chronically ill and cannot travel, so if a school requires an interview I have to decline. My other attributes are pretty good..

I wouldn't stress too much, I applied to a few out of state schools last year, and asked for Skype interviews instead due to financial issues and was approved for both, and funny enough those were both the schools I got into! So I think its very possible to not have to do physical interviews!
 
Anyone know if OTCAS calculates pre req GPA per school? My app just got verified and I was expecting it to be lower and praise Jesus it wasn’t! My OTCAS gpa was the same w all my schools gpa, however, I do not see my pre reqs gpa... is this normal?
 
Anyone know if OTCAS calculates pre req GPA per school? My app just got verified and I was expecting it to be lower and praise Jesus it wasn’t! My OTCAS gpa was the same w all my schools gpa, however, I do not see my pre reqs gpa... is this normal?

Yes I believe your actual school calculates the pre-req GPA. And I think some schools calculate their own cum GPA and some do not go off OTCAs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone so I am a bit confused on the verification process. Does your application have to be verified before you submit to your desired schools? Or do you submit to your desired schools first and then it goes through the verification process?
 
Hey everyone so I am a bit confused on the verification process. Does your application have to be verified before you submit to your desired schools? Or do you submit to your desired schools first and then it goes through the verification process?

Once you submit to the schools then it goes through the verification process! You don’t have to submit all the applications at once, but at least submit one application and that gets the ball rolling. If anything is wrong they will boot out your application and then reject it so you can fix it before they actually send it to the school.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Anyone apply to any Indiana schools? Curious about what ya'll think about different institutions.
 
Wait the letters of rec don't have to be submitted by the time I submit my OTCAS application??
I wish someone told me this ‍♀️ I could’ve submitted my application weeks ago. I submitted my application yesterday for UTMB and TWU. I’m scared it won’t be verified on time.
 
Hi! Also in the application process (applying to WUSTL, Colo State, Worcester State, BU, Tufts, MCPHS, and Springfield) and wondering how my stats compare with those of people who generally get accepted. Here they are:

Major: Human Services & Rehab Studies (concentration in OT), minor: Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.8
Prerequisite GPA: 3.5 - 3.6
GRE: 154 V, 150 Q, 4.5 W
Observations: pediatrics, inpatient and outpatient rehab; mental health; special education
Work experience: mental health worker at psychiatric facility
Lots of campus involvement in service and ministry including leading spring break service trips
LORs from OT professor, volunteer director, and work OT supervisor

Feeling very good about letters of recommendation, personal statements and overall academics, but curious how GRE/prereqs measure up. Some schools are test-optional, but I'd rather not rely simply on those schools.

Any advice is greatly appreciated; good luck to my fellow OT applicants!
 
Hi all! I was hoping to get a little advice on my stats and see how I compare to other applicants. Any advice would be wonderful! 🙂

Major: {Dual Degree (BS & BA) in Kinesiology & Psychology}
Overall GPA: 3.5
OTCAS GPA: 3.37
Prerequisite GPA: 3.5 - 3.8
GRE: 147V, 148Q, 4.0W {Most schools have no minimum or do not require}
Observations: Pediatrics, Outpatient, & State School
Work experience: 3 years as a Teacher's Assistant
Service: 50+ Hours Local (Cancer Support Group & VFW)
Leadership: First Year Mentor
Letters of Recommendation: Boss from work, OT, 2 Professors
Applied/Applying to: KU Med, Rockhurst, Cox, Mizzou, Drake, St. Ambrose, Indiana Wesleyan, Belmont, Methodist, & Wingate

Please let me know what you all think! GOOD LUCK to everyone throughout this process! 🙂
 
Hello! I am Community Health Undergrad
GPA: 3.62

GRE: 155, 156, 5.0

Observation: 320 hours at hospital for an internship (inpatient, outpatient, acute, rehab, peds, neuro, ortho, healthy aging)
-35 hours assisted living
-35 hours rehab inpatient

Experiences: Over 1,500 volunteer hours for Service Dog organization (Trainer 4 years, Fundraising chair 1 year, President 1 year)
-1 year Undergrad research assistant in Human Factors and Aging Lab
-1.5 years Personal Assistant (PA) for student with disability
-320 Hour internship with the Director of Therapy Services at major hospital
-2 summers as an inclusion aide for children with disabilities
-3 years Dietary Aide at a nursing home
-CPR/AED Certified

I believe I have a strong personal statement.

Letters of Rec (4) : Internship supervisor (SLP, but oversaw OT shadowing), Lab director (PhD), student who I PA for, CEO of Service Dog organization

Honors/Recognition: 5 semesters Dean's List, Honor's student, scholarships, etc.

All of my applications were submitted/verified by August/1st week of September. I received confirmation emails of submission from UIC, Rush, and Midwestern who all said my application is being reviewed.

Applied: University of Illinois-Chicago, Midwestern (DG), Rush, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, Carroll, Lewis
Interviews:
Rejections:
Acceptions:



Hi!!

I'm also a community health major! Your stats are pretty awesome! I applied to OT schools in Illinois and I heard from Midwestern and Northcentral for an interview. I am still waiting for other schools tho. But I am very worried about my stats because my GRE is too low 🙁 I'm really bad at the standardized test.

Goodluck tho and keep me posted!
 
University: Tennessee State University graduated in 2017
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.0
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1
Last 60: 3.3
GRE: 155, 156, 5.0

Extra-Curric: National Council of Negro Women Inc. TSU Wesley Foundation
Employment: St. Louis Children's Hospital
Volunteer: St. Louis Arc, Hands On Nashville, Nashville General Hospital
Observation: 143 hrs. Outpatient & Inpatient rehab, and Pediatric clinic
Recommendations: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 1 Work Manager
Certifications: CPR, QPR Suicide Prevention

Applying/ Applied: Missouri State University, Maryville University of St. Louis, A. T. Still University (Arizona), FAMU, University of Central Arkansas, Emory & Henry College, Nova Southern University, Barry University, Gannon University, University of St. Augustine (Austin)

I am currently retaking some preqs at my local community college. I am applying to so many schools because of my low gpa. I'm open to any advice to straighten my application.
 
University: Tennessee State University graduated in 2017
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.0
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1
Last 60: 3.3
GRE: 155, 156, 5.0

Extra-Curric: National Council of Negro Women Inc. TSU Wesley Foundation
Employment: St. Louis Children's Hospital
Volunteer: St. Louis Arc, Hands On Nashville, Nashville General Hospital
Observation: 143 hrs. Outpatient & Inpatient rehab, and Pediatric clinic
Recommendations: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 1 Work Manager
Certifications: CPR, QPR Suicide Prevention

Applying/ Applied: Missouri State University, Maryville University of St. Louis, A. T. Still University (Arizona), FAMU, University of Central Arkansas, Emory & Henry College, Nova Southern University, Barry University, Gannon University, University of St. Augustine (Austin)

I am currently retaking some preqs at my local community college. I am applying to so many schools because of my low gpa. I'm open to any advice to straighten my application.

If I’ve learned anything, you can never apply to too many OT schools. It’s extremely competitive. I’ve applied to quite a few of the same schools as you, and then some. Literally I have like 19 applications on OTCAS! Just don’t give up, redo what prereqs you can, and practice for interviews. I can tell you from experience that UCA interview was rough[emoji28]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi All! I need some encouragement! This is my second year applying and I just am not feeling hopeful. Last cycle I had interviews at Midwestern DG, North Central, and Elmhurst and did not get in.

I am an "older" student that has a disability so sometimes remembering things is a hassle. I also am an OTA, has toooooons of hours. 5 LOR's, and a pretty good GPA, but a low GRE.

My stats:
Major: Completed: OTA, Rehabilitation Sciences, Disability and Human Development
Cumulative GPA: 3.34 (my college career as a Freshman years ago brings my cumulative GPA down)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.54 - retaking a few classes that expired
Last 60 hours: 3.77
GRE: Low, but 4.0 Writing (have not seen some of that stuff is over 20 years)...NOT taking again

LORs: 1 OTA (with a masters), 1 OTD, 1 Law Teacher, 2 Department Heads

Experience:
Countless Jobs (well over 800+ hours)
400 Field works as an OTA
80+ hours of community service and volunteer at a Disability Law place
5 News, websites, magazine features
1 Deans List.

Certifications: CPR/AED Healthcare providers, First Aid, Human Research, Crisis Prevention

Very compelling Personal Statement.

I'm just getting discouraged because I see people have interviews already and I hit all the early admissions.

Applied: UIC, Midwestern DG, North Central, Rush, Lewis, Elmhurst. Any words of encouragement? I just feel as if schools tell you that they look at your whole app and just not Scores, but I'm starting to think otherwise.
I am old applicant, and mid-career switcher. I think you should apply more programs if your financial ability allows you to do so. I applied more than 15 programs to reduce the odds (my age), and increase the likelihood of interwiew calls. I put high attention to those programs that not required interview, or they can offer electronic interview, and few with in person interview programs.
I thought a lot about out of state programs as i prefer programs close to my home, I have many obligations or a desire to stay with my children and my parents. I have a mortgage, car loan, childcare expenses. However, if I limit myself in state programs, i might increase my odds of not getting into programs, as well as the expensive cost of application.
So far I got few of interview calls.
Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am old applicant, and mid-career switcher. I think you should apply more programs if your financial ability allows you to do so. I applied more than 15 programs to reduce the odds (my age), and increase the likelihood of interwiew calls. I put high attention to those programs that not required interview, or they can offer electronic interview, and few with in person interview programs.
I thought a lot about out of state programs as i prefer programs close to my home, I have many obligations or a desire to stay with my children and my parents. I have a mortgage, car loan, childcare expenses. However, if I limit myself in state programs, i might increase my odds of not getting into programs, as well as the expensive cost of application.
So far I got few of interview calls.
Good luck
Thank you, I was thinking about applying to out of state programs "closer" to home. I do not want to move, so thinking about commuting drives me bonkers. I have to do what I have to do though. There is a Weekend part time program in Michigan, but as I started filling out the app, it was so much busy work. They are not on OTCAS and I feel like I would irritate my LORers by asking them to send a paper copy.
 
Hi All! I need some encouragement! This is my second year applying and I just am not feeling hopeful. Last cycle I had interviews at Midwestern DG, North Central, and Elmhurst and did not get in.

I am an "older" student that has a disability so sometimes remembering things is a hassle. I also am an OTA, has toooooons of hours. 5 LOR's, and a pretty good GPA, but a low GRE.

My stats:
Major: Completed: OTA, Rehabilitation Sciences, Disability and Human Development
Cumulative GPA: 3.34 (my college career as a Freshman years ago brings my cumulative GPA down)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.54 - retaking a few classes that expired
Last 60 hours: 3.77
GRE: Low, but 4.0 Writing (have not seen some of that stuff is over 20 years)...NOT taking again

LORs: 1 OTA (with a masters), 1 OTD, 1 Law Teacher, 2 Department Heads

Experience:
Countless Jobs (well over 800+ hours)
400 Field works as an OTA
80+ hours of community service and volunteer at a Disability Law place
5 News, websites, magazine features
1 Deans List.

Certifications: CPR/AED Healthcare providers, First Aid, Human Research, Crisis Prevention

Very compelling Personal Statement.

I'm just getting discouraged because I see people have interviews already and I hit all the early admissions.

Applied: UIC, Midwestern DG, North Central, Rush, Lewis, Elmhurst. Any words of encouragement? I just feel as if schools tell you that they look at your whole app and just not Scores, but I'm starting to think otherwise.
What is low for you on the GRE?

If you wanna have a chance at Lewis, you got to get a competitive GRE score 295 the absolute lowest. On their website, they mention they require a minimum of 300 (150/150). I think they state that for a reason. I went to one of their info sessions and they put a big emphasis on the GRE because they said it has a strong correlation to exams like the NBCOT.

Somewhere on this topic post, an applicant was emailed by Lewis to increase their GRE score to have a chance. Rush is even worse. They require a minimum of 302 on the GRE.

I think it really is your best interest to take the GRE again. There are several resources you can use to get a higher score: Official ETS book, Magoosh, Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.
 
Last edited:
Hi!

I have disability accommodations, so instead of a 3 hour test, I have 6 hours. It is counterproductive cause Brain fatigue DEFINITELY sets in. My score is in the higher 200's...like 275. I did take a prep, but honestly I was so lost cause my entire memory was wiped out from an accident and I could not decipher some of the stuff.

The correlation between the Reg exam and the GRE is malarkey. I took the reg exam for the OTA and I passed with flying colors. It's a subject (OT) test, not Math or Vocab. I honestly think the GRE is dumb. Testing as such is not some people's strong suit, but how do I get a license AND the highest scores in my old program if I am bad at tests? It's the subject matter. I have not seen some of those things in the field AT ALL.

Thank You for your reply though 🙂
I’m not knocking on you. I actually agree that the GRE is whack. I dreaded every single minute of taking it.

But the fact of the matter is that they value the GRE for whatever reason, whether we like it or not, so I’m trying to guide you to strengthen your chances at those schools. I had first hand person to person experiences and conversation with faculty at Lewis and I’m just reiterating what they’ve told me.
 
I’m not knocking on you. I actually agree that the GRE is whack. I dreaded every single minute of taking it.

But the fact of the matter is that they value the GRE for whatever reason, whether we like it or not, so I’m trying to guide you to strengthen your chances at those schools. I had first hand person to person experiences and conversation with faculty at Lewis and I’m just reiterating what they’ve told me.
No, I really DO appreciate it! 🙂
 
Just submitted my supplemental application yesterday. You?

I’m submitting mine tomorrow! I’m making final edits and submitting it! I’m excited & nervous! I just want to be able to at least make it to the second round and get the video interview! My supp app is totally my heart and soul but I want them to see it beyond what’s on paper. ahhhhh I JUST really want to be at LLU, but trusting God in this process and just trying to be at peace and enjoy this process unlike Last year When I applied to one program and I was a stress maniac... Ahhhhh excited nonetheless!!! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Do y’all know of any other programs that will look at your last 60 hours instead of your cumulative.

I’m a non-traditional student, and my first 2 years of college has tanked my cumulative GPA, and although I have repeated several of the classes OTCAS does not give you credit for it.

So far the schools I’ve come across for last 60 are University of Central AR, Texas Woman’s, Towson, University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois.

I don’t care where at in the US the program is, as long as it goes off my last 60 hours. I’d really like to get into a program this year!

Help a sister out, this is stressful[emoji28]
 
Hey all,

For those who applied to AT still, are you supposed to send them your observation hours, letter of rec, etc? Bc the checklist for task is confusing me!
 
Hey all,

For those who applied to AT still, are you supposed to send them your observation hours, letter of rec, etc? Bc the checklist for task is confusing me!
Hello I applied there! I'm assuming you're talking about after you get the supplemental application? You don't have to send them anything extra, they should update in time!
 
Hello I applied there! I'm assuming you're talking about after you get the supplemental application? You don't have to send them anything extra, they should update in time!
Ooh yeah mine was complete a few hours after I sumitted the application. When did you apply and have you heard back from them? I’m pretty nervous lol. Also, for your OT hours did you get someone to sign off on all of it?
 
Do y’all know of any other programs that will look at your last 60 hours instead of your cumulative.

I’m a non-traditional student, and my first 2 years of college has tanked my cumulative GPA, and although I have repeated several of the classes OTCAS does not give you credit for it.

So far the schools I’ve come across for last 60 are University of Central AR, Texas Woman’s, Towson, University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois.

I don’t care where at in the US the program is, as long as it goes off my last 60 hours. I’d really like to get into a program this year!

Help a sister out, this is stressful[emoji28]
I think Pacific University does!! They don’t require GRE either
 
Ooh yeah mine was complete a few hours after I sumitted the application. When did you apply and have you heard back from them? I’m pretty nervous lol. Also, for your OT hours did you get someone to sign off on all of it?
I got an email on 9/13 saying that my file was under review, but haven’t heard back yet! I just emailed them and they said it could take 8-13 weeks, though I do know someone who has heard back already. And no, I only had one OT sign off on my hours (80).
 
I got an email on 9/13 saying that my file was under review, but haven’t heard back yet! I just emailed them and they said it could take 8-13 weeks, though I do know someone who has heard back already. And no, I only had one OT sign off on my hours (80).
Good luck to you!! 🙂 it seems like they’ve been responding back pretty fast. I got an email from admission saying my file is ready for review then I got another one from diversity lool. Too nervous.. what r ur stats if you don’t mind me asking?
 
Good luck to you!! 🙂 it seems like they’ve been responding back pretty fast. I got an email from admission saying my file is ready for review then I got another one from diversity lool. Too nervous.. what r ur stats if you don’t mind me asking?
Sure!
GPA: 3.9
GRE: V157 Q154 W4.5
Major: Double major in Human development and family studies and Speech, language, hearing sciences

Extra: Honors program, thesis in the works, historian of national honors fraternity, President of Honors Council, volunteer at a camp for children and adults with developmental disabilities, Dean's list every semester, Sophomore Honors award, member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, camp counselor, child care trainee at a child development center

OT Hours: About 300 in SNF and pediatric outpatient facilities
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do y’all know of any other programs that will look at your last 60 hours instead of your cumulative.

I’m a non-traditional student, and my first 2 years of college has tanked my cumulative GPA, and although I have repeated several of the classes OTCAS does not give you credit for it.

So far the schools I’ve come across for last 60 are University of Central AR, Texas Woman’s, Towson, University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois.

I don’t care where at in the US the program is, as long as it goes off my last 60 hours. I’d really like to get into a program this year!

Help a sister out, this is stressful[emoji28]


I believe West coast (if I’m not mistaken) and SJSU in California only looks at last 60 units go on AOTA and search under CA schools. Some CA schools only consider last 60 units
 
GPA: 3.61
GRE: V153. Q154, W4.5
Major: Psychology
Minors: Human Relations and Aging Studies

Experience: was a camp counselor for kids with disabilities for a summer, worked for 2 years as a supervisor at my school's rec center, have over 700 hours as a rehab tech at an outpatient pediatric clinic, was a respite worker for 1 year for a little girl with special needs, part of my school's Student Philanthropy Group, Research Assistant for the Psychology Department for 2 semesters

Volunteer: 70 hours at my university hospital, 55 hours as a Wellness volunteer at a retirement home

Observation hours: 90 hours at several locations (pediatric, outpatient clinics, hospital)

LORs: former work supervisor, a senior OT, another OT, professor, and current manager of the pediatric clinic I work at

-I believe my personal statement is strong

Applied: UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, Carroll, WashU, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), St. Ambrose, AT Still, University of South Dakota, St. Catherine's, Belmont
Interviews: St. Ambrose (10/19), Midwestern (10/23), Belmont (11/16)
Acceptances:
Rejections:
 
Hey everyone! I have been visiting this site for about two years and it's exciting to finally be applying to schools. Still trying to decide whether I should apply to more school because my GRE scores has me worried. Here's my stats:

University: George Mason University
Major:
Kinesiology w/ minor in psychology
Overall GPA:
3.64 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA:
3.7 - 3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE:
Q 145 V 153 AW 4.0 (extremely worried about my scores)

Work Experience:
Currently working full-time at a pediatric center for Autism. I work as a tutor/aid to children with Autism who are non-verbal. In the past, I have done many long term internships as a physical trainer in sports performance gyms.

Observation:
275 total hours. (200 in a pediatric setting and 75 in an outpatient hand therapy setting)

References:
2 OTs, 1 internship supervisor, 1 employer

Applied: VCU, James Madison University, Shenandoah University (both campuses), Nova Southeastern University, University of St. Augustine (st.augustine and miami campus), Texas Tech, and Davenport University (might apply to two more schools but haven’t decided yet)

Acceptances: n/a

Rejections:
n/a

Interviews:
n/a

Good luck to everyone!
 
First time applying! Really excited! good luck to everyone!

University:
University of Southern California
Major: B.S Lifespan Health emphasis in OT
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.6

Work Experience:

USC Keck Outpatient Hand Therapy Intern, Los Angeles, CA July 2018 – Present
USC School of Gerontology Intern, Los Angeles, CA September 2018 – Present
USC Interfaith Council Representative, Los Angeles, CA September 2016 – May 2017
USC Transportation Student Manager, Los Angeles, CA August 2016 – Present
USC Campus Cruiser Field-Supervisor, Los Angeles, CA April 2016 – August 2016
USC Campus Cruiser Trainer, Los Angeles, CA October 2015 – April 2017

Two year service mission in Peru 2012-2014

Observation:
30 hours inpatient. 100+ outpatient hand therapy

References:

1 OT, 1 Spiritual leader/clergy, 1 Professor, 1 Manager

Publishings:
Co-author of academic journal(Journal of Gerontological Social)(published jan. 2018)
Co-author of academic manuscript(Cambridge Journal of Disaster Medicine)(publishing jan. 2019)

Certifications:
CPR&AED infant, adolescent, and adult

Applied: midwestern(downer's grove), midwestern(Glendale), Loma Linda University, Northern Arizona, Touro(Nevada), USC(really expensive)

Acceptances: n/a

Rejections:
n/a

Interviews:
Midwestern(Glendale): December 18th, Loma Linda: Secondary app submitted

First choice is probably Loma Linda because of price and closeness to family living in Southern California. I would love to stay at USC but the cost of tuition may not be worth it.
 
Last edited:
***2nd time applying, applying to 3 schools this time. Applied too late last year and to only one school.***

Undergrad
: California State Univ San Bernardino (CSUSB)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.2-3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: 145-Q 140-V 3.5-AW
Extra-Curricular
: Volunteered at Kaiser Permanente hospital for 3 years, Volunteered at Loma Linda for 2 years, Currently volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House, was in KSA (Kinesiology Student Assoc) for 2 years in Undergrad. Participated in Disability Sports Festival. Participates in Relay for Life every year (for the past 17 years)
Observation: 115 hours, 3 different settings (Neuro, Hand therapy, Stroke, ALS, MS, Spinal Cord Injury)
LOR: 3 OTR, 1 Dean of Academic Affairs/ Professor

Schools Applying To: Loma Linda Univ, UT Health San Antonio, Univ of St Augustine (San Marcos location)

Interviews:
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Declined:

Have you done the video interview for LLU yet? I sent in my secondary app last week. Just wondering how far they are in the process.