1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by gatorvot, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jntrnOT

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    Hi! I got accepted to both AT Still & Midwestern and both are amazing schools!

AT Still: For the interview, they use the same questions for all of their applicants (except the OTD had a few questions individual to them). I compiled a bunch of interview questions from previous AT Still forums and luckily, I was asked many, if not all, of the questions that I practiced. So I think they stick with the same questions?? The interview was 30 minutes long

Midwestern: They give you 30 minutes for the interview. They asked me 5 questions (not standard across the board compared to AT Still). A few situational. Since they only asked me 5 questions, I finished answering them within like 10 minutes. I think what helped me was that I spend a solid 20 minutes asking and talking about their research and areas of specialization.

I think I applied to many of the schools you listed so if you have any questions about the Samuel Merritt or Loma Linda interview, or if you want to ask me more questions about AT Still and Midwestern, feel free to DM me!

2. OTTyingToGetIn

I got rejected by Samuel Merrit 3 weeks ago on Dec. 21 which was before Christmas. I heard you were accepted there. Can you provide your GPA and volunteer number of hours so that I can get an idea?

3. MCforOT

Pre-Medical
    UPDATE:

University:
    George Mason University
    Major:
    Kinesiology w/ minor in psychology
    Overall GPA:
    3.64 (OTCAS)
    Pre-Req GPA:
    3.7 - 3.8 (depending on the program)
    GRE:
    Q 145 V 153 AW 4.0 (extremely worried about my scores)

Work Experience:
    Currently working full-time at a pediatric center for Autism. I work as a tutor/aid to children with Autism who are non-verbal. In the past, I have done many long term internships as a physical trainer in sports performance gyms.

Observation:
    275 total hours. (200 in a pediatric setting and 75 in an outpatient hand therapy setting)

References:
    2 OTs, 1 internship supervisor, 1 employer

Applied: VCU, James Madison University, Shenandoah University (both campuses), Nova Southeastern University, University of St. Augustine (st.augustine and miami campus), Texas Tech, Davenport University, University of New England

Acceptances: University of New England!!! (12/14)

Waitlist: Texas Tech (12/22)

Rejections:
    n/a

Interviews: Texas Tech (11/15), University of New England (12/10), Nova Southeastern (video interview)
    , University of St. Augustine (2/1)

4. HopefulOT2019

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I actually got it worked out! The other school had an alternate interview day and my mom talked Delta into changing my ticket for me, so I'm relieved!

5. OTGal18

That is wonderful news!!! :) I'll see you there!

#355 OTGal18, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. alexachapa

How was the interview? what kind of questions were asked? if you don't mind me asking. I have an interview with them this Thursday and I am so nervous.

7. w.amanda96

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    The interview went by really quick, but the faculty were so nice and approachable! Common questions were “define OT” and a lot of behavioral questions like “tell me about a time of conflict, etc. It was a super relaxed and educational experience, just relax and know why you want to be an OT! :)

mesefr likes this.
  8. alexachapa

Thank you so much, that is super helpful. We'll see how it goes. :)

w.amanda96 likes this.
  9. Clc75

Hey I saw you got your undergrad in Arkansas? do you still live in Arkansas? I know of two new programs starting up, I am going to try for one because my overall isn't the highest either

10. Yorit06

Yes I still live in Arkansas. Which programs are you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. mesefr

I have similar stats and was wondering if you’d heard back yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

12. KnightOT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Occupational Therapy
    I’ve gotten 2 interview offers, waitlisted to 1 school, and rejected for 1. Still waiting to hear from one more!

mesefr likes this.
  13. thehopefulOT2019

SOS! Somewhat unrelated, but I'm applying to Tufts now and saw that there is a pre-req for a general soc/ant/psych class. Should that be an "Intro to ____" class or can I use an upper division soc/ant/psych class to fill the prerequisite? Thank you!!

14. thehopefulOT2019

Hi I saw you're applying to Tufts! SOS! Somewhat unrelated, but I'm applying to Tufts now and saw that there is a pre-req for a general soc/ant/psych class. Should that be an "Intro to ____" class or can I use an upper division soc/ant/psych class to fill the prerequisite? Thank you!!

15. ONLYOT

Hi! I'm not applying to Tufts, but from what I know about the prerequisites in regards to other schools is that any course within that subject field is fine whether it be an intro course or upper div course. Hope this helps!

thehopefulOT2019 likes this.
  16. OTbee1995

Has anyone heard back from Stockton, NYU, Kean or Columbia?

17. ONLYOT

From previous years, Columbia doesn't get back to students until end of February or beginning of March

18. Daniellecicala

Hi! I applied to two BS/MS OT Programs! I am currently at Ocean County College in NJ!
    Major: Science with a Social Science Concentration
    Overall GPA: 3.8
    Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
    Didn’t have to take GRE to apply to the BS/MS OT Program
    Observation hours: 1,000+ hours in outpatient pediatrics; 30 hours in acute care geriatric!
    Work Experience: Sales Associate, Assistant Teacher, and currently an Occupational Therapy Aide & Activities Assistant.
    I applied to TJU & LIU and got interviews for both!

19. Otbound2343

Hello everyone! I just got accepted into Brenau’s hybrid day program but still have a couple more interviews for St. Augustine in Miami and West Coast OTD
    Has anyone had interviews for these programs yet and have any feedback ?:) Thanks!

20. Clc75

21. Yorit06

I’m sure the one at U of A will be accredited. It’s a really big school. University of central Arkansas also has the doctorate, and they will go off your last 60 hours GPA if your cumulative is your concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Otd123

Major: Double major in psychology and sociology
    Overall GPA: 3.72
    Prereq GPA: 4.0
    GRE: 158 V 150 Q 4.5 W

Experience: 2.5 years as a therapist on an autism unit at an inpatient psychiatric hospital
    1 year as a classroom therapist
    90 hours shadowing at acute inpatient, outpatient hand therapy, and pediatric

Volunteer: Daycare project in Costa Rica
    Baby holder at a pediatric hospital
    Facilitated talking groups in impoverished neighborhood

Applied: OSU, Chatham, Pitt, UNE, Gannon, Salus, U of the Sciences, Temple, TJU, UIC, Salus, Messiah, Widener
    Interviews: UNE, Salus, Widener (declined), Messiah, Chatham, OSU (phone)
    Rejections: none
    Accepted: UNE, Gannon, Salus, U of the Sciences, Messiah

#372 Otd123, Jan 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 5:21 AM
  23. gottaOTmyownway

If West Coast's interviews for MOT seem to be starting in April around which month will they send out admissions decisions?

24. Clc75

No, it won't be accredited until the first class graduates is what I was told and I can only really look in Fayetteville Arkansas and Springfield Missouri due to my childcare with my son. The University of Arkansas told me they will look at my last 60 hours also so I am just going to apply to both schools and go from there and see what happens. You?

25. em_claire_

I also interviewed in December and heard back at the end of December that I had been waitlisted.

26. SpaghettiScholar

Major: Kinesiology
    Overall GPA: 2.89
    Prereq GPA: 3.7
    GRE: 157 V 155 Q 4.0 W

Experiences: 3 years as a Kinesiologist doing spinal cord research at Mayo Clinic.
    16 hours in hand therapy, 4 hours in pediatric, 200 in SNF, 48 hours inpatient rehab

Volunteer: 300 hours in a local non-profit hospital, 100 in an assistive rowing program

Applied: around 20 schools
    Rejections: Tennessee State, Messiah, U of St.Mary
    Interview (so far): Indiana Wesleyan University, University of Alamaba-Birmingham, Uni of North Dakota
    Accepted: Shawnee State University, Governor State University
    Waitlisted: Creighton University

Honestly the waiting is the worst; Even when I feel like I did really well on an interview, the longer I wait for a response the more I start to obsessively analyze all the details I remember from the past interview. Really wish the interview process was like a game show where you knew exactly where you stood in terms of admission lol.

ruth36 likes this.
  27. OT’19

I have an interview on Friday and will be catching my flight right after. Has anyone done the same thing previously? Where do you leave your bags if you have to take them with you?

28. Yorit06

I didn't know that they couldn't be accredited until the first class graduates. I didn't apply there though because they have chemistry listed as a prerequisite and I have not taken that. I applied to a ton of schools just because my cumulative GPA is so low thanks to OTCAS not believing in grade forgiveness. So far I am waitlisted at Georgia State, I just interviewed at TWU-Houston, I have an interview at West Coast University in April, and I'm waiting back to hear from a few other schools. I do not have a family so I am lucky enough to be able to apply to as many out of state schools as possible. Good luck to you!

Clc75 likes this.
  29. Yorit06

I agree, waiting is the worst. But on the bright side of things, you already have 2 acceptances. Some of us have zero, so imagine waiting to hear back from interviews, with the weight of no acceptances thus far on your shoulders! Cheer up, you've got this!

OT’19 and alc12 like this.
  30. Clc75

They changed there pre-requisites so chemistry isn't required and neither is the GRE now but it doesn't open up until March thru June and I was just told interviews won't happen till July so it is kind of a long time to wait but I wouldn't have to move but its something to look at it if you do not get into another program. I do know they put an upper level psychology course for one of the pre ot classes its called neuroscience of behavior so I will have to look at where to get that class completed since the community college here doesn't offer that course. But, it seems like a good program from what I am hearing I know the director and three other members of her staff all come from St Louis University.

Yorit06 likes this.
  31. OT’19

Does anyone know how the Texas Tech interview is done?

32. OMOT

Has anyone heard back from Midwestern (Downers Grove)? I applied on December 3rd and I am just wondering if anyone knows when invitations for interviews will be sent

33. alc12

I applied in a September and I just got an interview invitation today.