General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: University of Michigan
Major: Movement Science
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA: 3.88-4.0
GRE: Q: 156 V:156 A: 4.0

Extra-Curric: sorority, kinesiology professional fraternity, greek life honors fraternity, 8 months volunteering as medical assistant in a cardiology office, 6 months as a CNA in a nursing home, 3 months as a camp counselor, 6 months in ABA therapy, about 200 hours of community service including a medical mission trip, volunteering in a homeless shelter, food kitchen, and various adapted physical activity programs

Volunteer: about 200 hours, most in an outpatient pediatric clinic, also in a preschool, elementary school, and brain rehab

Applied: Grand Valley, MUSC, Rush, UAB, WashU, Wayne State, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Acceptances: Rush, WashU, Wayne State

Rejections:

Interviews: MUSC (2/1), Rush (1/21), UAB (declined)

Members don't see this ad.

So, are you waiting until you here back from Cox before you decide? do you have a top School? what schools did you get acceptances from?

Hi! I recently got accepted Touro University Nevada OTD! Has anyone else been accepted? I paid my deposit today, but have an interview at Pacific University, University of Mary-Billings campus, and Midwestern-Glendale. Has anyone been to any of these interviews yet? Please let me know how they were!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I recently got accepted Touro University Nevada OTD! Has anyone else been accepted? I paid my deposit today, but have an interview at Pacific University, University of Mary-Billings campus, and Midwestern-Glendale. Has anyone been to any of these interviews yet? Please let me know how they were!

I also have an interview at UMary in Billings and would like any insight from others!

I feel like it was really messed up how they waitlisted us all, and gave us hope and then sent out rejections. Usually when you are on a waitlist it’s bc they are waiting for top candidates to decline, I’ve never been rejected before everyone’s had time to decide if that’s where they will actually go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right!? It is so odd.. I'm not sure if they are sending out just a few more acceptances this time around? I know this is the first time they've done interviews and acceptances this early.. I think last year they began interviews early in the year. However, that did not give a lot of time since their program starts in May. Who knows.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using SDN mobile

I have interviews coming up for AT Still and University of Utah MOT programs. Does anyone have any advice/interview questions they remember?

I feel like it was really messed up how they waitlisted us all, and gave us hope and then sent out rejections. Usually when you are on a waitlist it’s bc they are waiting for top candidates to decline, I’ve never been rejected before everyone’s had time to decide if that’s where they will actually go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I’m pretty disappointed about it. I was surprised to know this early even about rejections. I feel like there’s so much more time for people to change their minds between now and May.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I got accepted to both AT Still & Midwestern and both are amazing schools!

AT Still: For the interview, they use the same questions for all of their applicants (except the OTD had a few questions individual to them). I compiled a bunch of interview questions from previous AT Still forums and luckily, I was asked many, if not all, of the questions that I practiced. So I think they stick with the same questions?? The interview was 30 minutes long

Midwestern: They give you 30 minutes for the interview. They asked me 5 questions (not standard across the board compared to AT Still). A few situational. Since they only asked me 5 questions, I finished answering them within like 10 minutes. I think what helped me was that I spend a solid 20 minutes asking and talking about their research and areas of specialization.

I think I applied to many of the schools you listed so if you have any questions about the Samuel Merritt or Loma Linda interview, or if you want to ask me more questions about AT Still and Midwestern, feel free to DM me!
Congrats on your acceptances! Have you decided where you're going to attend yet?

Yeah I’m pretty disappointed about it. I was surprised to know this early even about rejections. I feel like there’s so much more time for people to change their minds between now and May.

They only gave people about a week to decide if they wanted to accept the offer. But I got accepted back in November and still haven’t heard info about anything else so I think they’re working out kinks still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard anything back from Midwestern AZ yet?

Not yet! They did say they have faculty meeting sometime middle of February, then they’ll send out the next batch of acceptances. So I’m hoping for the best since this is my top school! Did you apply there too?

Not yet! They did say they have faculty meeting sometime middle of February, then they’ll send out the next batch of acceptances. So I’m hoping for the best since this is my top school! Did you apply there too?

Yeah, I interviewed in December so I'm waiting for those February batch decisions too.

I’ve been checking my email constantly and still haven’t heard from GSU! I’m nervous that I’ll be getting the same rejection email since I’m still not even finished with my prerequisites:/

Congrats on your acceptance! When did you have your interview? I'm waiting for a response still even though I submitted back in October/ November

They may have rejected some of the waitlist to narrow it down.. honestly i’m not sure! I hope it goes well for you though!

They may have rejected some of the waitlist to narrow it down.. honestly i’m not sure! I hope it goes well for you though!
Thanks I actually got a phone call from GSU yesterday afternoon offering me a spot! I'm so shocked and relieved. Good luck!

Thanks I actually got a phone call from GSU yesterday afternoon offering me a spot! I'm so shocked and relieved. Good luck!

That's so awesome!! Congratulations!

I have interviews coming up for AT Still and University of Utah MOT programs. Does anyone have any advice/interview questions they remember?
So in the past the U interview has always been with 3 interviewers. 2 ask the same question the other asks more of a scenario situation. Then you go and you complete a writing portion.

Curious to see what it will be this year as my email said it would take approximately 3 hrs. I wonder if and what they may have added.

So in the past the U interview has always been with 3 interviewers. 2 ask the same question the other asks more of a scenario situation. Then you go and you complete a writing portion.

Curious to see what it will be this year as my email said it would take approximately 3 hrs. I wonder if and what they may have added.
Thank you for the info! I just received that email as well. About how many applicants were there in the past?

Thank you for the info! I just received that email as well. About how many applicants were there in the past?
They usually interview around 90 and I know last year they had about 140 applicants. They are beginning to grow each year, so perhaps this year they are trying to do more to see a holistic view of their applicants.

What time is your interview?

They usually interview around 90 and I know last year they had about 140 applicants. They are beginning to grow each year, so perhaps this year they are trying to do more to see a holistic view of their applicants.

I was thinking they might add in a group work portion if it's longer than last year's. My time is 12:45!

Also can I ask how the writing portion was?

Update:

University: George Mason University
Major: Kinesiology w/ minor in psychology
Overall GPA: 3.64 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7 - 3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE: Q 145 V 153 AW 4.0 (extremely worried about my scores)

Work Experience: Currently working full-time at a pediatric center for Autism. I work as a tutor/aid to children with Autism who are non-verbal. In the past, I have done many long term internships as a physical trainer in sports performance gyms.

Observation: 275 total hours. (200 in a pediatric setting and 75 in an outpatient hand therapy setting)

References: 2 OTs, 1 internship supervisor

Applied: VCU, James Madison University, Shenandoah University (both campuses), Nova Southeastern University, University of St. Augustine (st.augustine and miami campus), Texas Tech, Davenport University, University of New England

Acceptances: University of New England (12/14), Nova Southeastern University (1/10), Virginia Commonwealth University (1/31)

Waitlist: Texas Tech (12/22)

Rejections: n/a

Interviews: Texas Tech (11/15), University of New England (12/10), Nova Southeastern (video interview), University of St. Augustine (declined)

Attending: Virginia Commonwealth University!!!!!!

Also can I ask how the writing portion was?

I can't recall exactly what the prompt was, but I know it was something along the lines of the characteristics that make an OT. What was difficult for me, was that we had to handwrite the essay. I am one who writes in pieces and will constantly go back and forth between what I am writing. So for me I practiced handwriting various prompts and making sure I take a few minutes to write an outline. I believe it's 30min to write.

I can't recall exactly what the prompt was, but I know it was something along the lines of the characteristics that make an OT. What was difficult for me, was that we had to handwrite the essay. I am one who writes in pieces and will constantly go back and forth between what I am writing. So for me I practiced handwriting various prompts and making sure I take a few minutes to write an outline. I believe it's 30min to write.
Oh yeah handwriting essays isn't something I've done for a while haha. Thank you this info though, maybe I should start practicing lol.

I applied in a September and I just got an interview invitation today.
I applied to Midwestern at the end of October and I'm still waiting for a response from them. But how did your interview go?

Has anyone applied to Augusta University OT last year and how was the process?

*Update*
Undergrad;
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
GPA: 3.4
Last 60: 3.55
GRE: 153V, 151Q, 4
Observation: 100+ hours in pediatrics, inpatient care, hand therapy clinic

Activities: 3 years research assistant in MS lab, sorority member, nanny for child with spastic quad CP, academic mentor for transfer students, volunteer at non-profit providing job training for individuals with disabilities, camp counselor, went on a medical/dental service trip to treat patients in Honduras

LOR: 2 OTs, 1 research supervisor, 1 professor

Applied: Elmhurst, Midwestern, Rush, UIC, Carroll, Huntington University, Davenport, Grand Valley State, Georgia State, St. Scholastica, Belmont, Maryville

Interviews: Georgia State (12/3- declined), Rush (12/14), Belmont (1/25- declined)

Acceptances: Huntington University (11/14)
Waitlist: Elmhurst College (1/18), St. Scholastica (2/8), Grand Valley State, Rush
Rejections: UIC (1/22), Carroll (1/25)

Last edited:
Has anyone who applied to James Madison University heard back yet?

Congrats on your acceptance! When did you have your interview? I'm waiting for a response still even though I submitted back in October/ November
Thank you! My interview was on January 3rd! I heard they will have interviews every Thursday starting in February until they filled the cohort and the waitlist!

Is anyone else interviewing at Pacific University on March 2nd? The 10:00 round?

*Update*
Undergrad;

Activities: 3 years research assistant in MS lab, sorority member, nanny for child with spastic quad CP, academic mentor for transfer students, volunteer at non-profit providing job training for individuals with disabilities, camp counselor, went on a medical/dental service trip to treat patients in Honduras

Applied: Elmhurst, Midwestern, Rush, UIC, Carroll, Huntington University, Davenport, Grand Valley State, Georgia State, St. Scholastica, Belmont, Maryville

Interviews: Georgia State (12/3- declined), Rush (12/14), Belmont (1/25- declined)

Waitlist: Elmhurst College (1/18), St. Scholastica (2/8)
Rejections:
UIC (1/22), Carroll (1/25)

Are you still waiting on Rush too? I think we are going to hear back in March now.

*Update*
Undergrad;

Waitlist: Elmhurst College (1/18), St. Scholastica (2/8)
Rejections:
UIC (1/22), Carroll (1/25)
Have you heard anything from Midwestern or Davenport?

Have you heard anything from Midwestern or Davenport?
No, I know Davenport doesn't send out acceptances until March though.
I submitted my app to Midwestern in August so I'm guessing I was denied but I haven't heard anything. I might reach out to them in the next few weeks and inquire but because of the cost I am not very interested in their program anymore.

No, I know Davenport doesn't send out acceptances until March though.
I submitted my app to Midwestern in August so I'm guessing I was denied but I haven't heard anything. I might reach out to them in the next few weeks and inquire but because of the cost I am not very interested in their program anymore.
Why do you think they denied you though? I've heard from students who got in last year that they were accepting people all the way till May.

Why do you think they denied you though? I've heard from students who got in last year that they were accepting people all the way till May.
I just assumed since admission was rolling. That's a good point though, are you waiting on them as well?

I just assumed since admission was rolling. That's a good point though, are you waiting on them as well?
Yeah, I'm actually waiting on a few. I'm waiting for Brenau, LIU, Midwestern, and Davenport. I got rejected from UIC as well.