General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTee

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It may seem like a long time from now, but OTCAS applications will be opening up in less than two months. I'll be starting a thread for applicants to share their stats, questions, etc. with each other as a way to (hopefully) ease some of the anxiety that comes along with this process. I'm based in California and will be applying to every MOT program here. Here are some of my stats:

University: UCLA
Major: Psychology
Minor: Philosophy
Overall GPA: ~3.65 (I transferred from a CC, and my GPA there was about a 3.9. Not exactly sure how OTCAS will combine the two.)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (taking one more class at a CC this fall semester)
GRE: Taking next Friday
Top Choice: CSUDH
Volunteer hours: 20 hours at a hippotherapy clinic, 40 hours at a pediatric clinic inside an LAUSD school, and 20 hours at the inpatient rehabilitation center inside my school's main hospital.
Related experience: Worked as a valet attendant at my school's hospital for 2 years, and was involved with my school's pre-ot club.

That's about it, for now. I know my stats aren't the best, but I'm hoping to have a good shot. I'd really like to hear from others!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
University: Excelsior College
Major: Liberal Studies
Minor: Japanese
Overall GPA: ~3.44 (I had 5 Fs a million years ago and it’s hard to recover. My last 120 hours are 3.89)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: pending
Applying: USC, Loma Linda, University of St. Augustine San Marcos. (Looking for a summer start. I have alternate fall start options if none of these accept me.)
Shadow hours: 35 hours adult outpatient; 40 hours TBI and pain management at a military base clinic; pending (prob close to 300 hours) - 2 month full time internship at a pediatric therapy facility.
Other experience: 20 years active duty Army (retiring in December) - no healthcare background, but a ton of leadership and management and interpersonal skills; lots of volunteer work with veterans organizations.

Concerned about my degree being from a “for profit” school, but in reality, all my courses are from legit brick and mortar schools...I just used the for profit school to conveniently package up all my credits into a degree. Moving so often in the Army made it hard to establish academic residency at a school.

Excited for OTCAS to open...I’ve been waiting for this career change for a long time!
Nice! I'm sure your Japanese minor and Army background will help you stand out. Best of luck on your GRE, and the application process in general! We're in this together now lol

Last edited:
I know CSUDH is competitive, but your stats look great to me! I wish they didn’t start in January...it would be my number 1 choice if they had a summer or fall start. I just don’t know if it’s feasible for me to move a household across the country in such a short period of time. Besides, I could probably use a couple months off after 20 years in the Army :)

Good luck on the GRE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my stats.. I’m very nervous about not getting in somewhere, can anyone tell me where I am standing with everything?

Undergrad: Minnesota state university, Mankato.
Major: interdisciplinary studies (which is a major with three disciplines); communication disorders, psychology, and health science; community health education.
Overall GPA: 3.74
Pre-req GPA: 3.9-4.0, I have one more class to take this summer.
GRE: taking in about a month

Volunteer experience: children’s museum, Mayo Clinic hospital volunteer (in the therapy department as a volunteer aide), miracle league coach (people who have disabilities on a softball team), VINE adult community center (pool class instructor, fitness center, and respite center for people with dementia), girls on the run volunteer, LEEP ( special olympics), nursing home volunteer (hanging out with the residents), and habitat for humanity volunteer

Extracurricular activities: alpha chi omega (sorority), gamma sigma alpha (honors above 3.5), order of omega (honors above 3.0), pre OT club, serve club

Work; front desk/ aide for a physical therapy clinic, front desk for prairie river home care agency, and children’s museum worker.

Observation hours: 25 inpatient hospital, about 20 in assisted living, 10 in pediatric, and about 10 in home care setting.

Should I be getting more observation hours? A lot of people I’ve read have hundreds and I’m not sure how much to reach for as I have about 65 right now.

Here are my stats.. I’m very nervous about not getting in somewhere, can anyone tell me where I am standing with everything?

Undergrad: Minnesota state university, Mankato.
Major: interdisciplinary studies (which is a major with three disciplines); communication disorders, psychology, and health science; community health education.
Overall GPA: 3.74
Pre-req GPA: 3.9-4.0, I have one more class to take this summer.
GRE: taking in about a month

Volunteer experience: children’s museum, Mayo Clinic hospital volunteer (in the therapy department as a volunteer aide), miracle league coach (people who have disabilities on a softball team), VINE adult community center (pool class instructor, fitness center, and respite center for people with dementia), girls on the run volunteer, LEEP ( special olympics), nursing home volunteer (hanging out with the residents), and habitat for humanity volunteer

Extracurricular activities: alpha chi omega (sorority), gamma sigma alpha (honors above 3.5), order of omega (honors above 3.0), pre OT club, serve club

Work; front desk/ aide for a physical therapy clinic, front desk for prairie river home care agency, and children’s museum worker.

Observation hours: 25 inpatient hospital, about 20 in assisted living, 10 in pediatric, and about 10 in home care setting.

Should I be getting more observation hours? A lot of people I’ve read have hundreds and I’m not sure how much to reach for as I have about 65 right now.

Your stats look very similar, if not better than OT school admits I've seen in other forums! Also, I don't know where you'll be applying to, but I suggest getting at least 80 observation hours. Some programs, like CSUDH require you to have at least 80 hours (although I've heard that having more than 80 doesn't necessarily help your application). Good luck on the GRE!

Hello everyone,

It may seem like a long time from now, but OTCAS applications will be opening up in less than two months. I'll be starting a thread for applicants to share their stats, questions, etc. with each other as a way to (hopefully) ease some of the anxiety that comes along with this process. I'm based in California and will be applying to every MOT program here. Here are some of my stats:

Minor: Philosophy
Overall GPA: ~3.65 (I transferred from a CC, and my GPA there was about a 3.9. Not exactly sure how OTCAS will combine the two.)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (taking one more class at a CC this fall semester)
GRE: Taking next Friday
Top Choice: CSUDH
Volunteer hours: 20 hours at a hippotherapy clinic, 40 hours at a pediatric clinic inside an LAUSD school, and 20 hours at the inpatient rehabilitation center inside my school's main hospital.
Related experience: Worked as a valet attendant at my school's hospital for 2 years, and was involved with my school's pre-ot club.

That's about it, for now. I know my stats aren't the best, but I'm hoping to have a good shot. I'd really like to hear from others!

Your stats actually look pretty good. Some schools may consider your overall GPA low, the standard seems to be 3.7, however, it depends what a school really cares about most (e.g. last 60 credit hours, pre-req GPA, or overall GPA). You have a considerable amount of hours and in different settings which always looks good. My only advice to you is to start reflecting on those observational experiences and practice talking about them: what did you learn from them? What did those experiences teach you about OT? Was there an OT in particular that really peaked your interest into OT, who really took the time to show you what OT is about, who ignited a passion for OT in you? Can you adequately define OT?

So long as you have the stats to get an interview (if your prospective schools interview), the interview is what's going to get you into a school--can you talk about OT? Are you passionate about OT? Do you know what you're talking about? This is what interviewers are looking for.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as much as you want to get into OT school, administrations want to fill their seats with people who look successful on paper, but also have the personality to be successful at their school and in the field. Schools have their own stats they need to display too (graduation rates, NBCOT pass rates, job acquisition rates).

I hope you find this helpful, good luck!

Your stats actually look pretty good. Some schools may consider your overall GPA low, the standard seems to be 3.7, however, it depends what a school really cares about most (e.g. last 60 credit hours, pre-req GPA, or overall GPA). You have a considerable amount of hours and in different settings which always looks good. My only advice to you is to start reflecting on those observational experiences and practice talking about them: what did you learn from them? What did those experiences teach you about OT? Was there an OT in particular that really peaked your interest into OT, who really took the time to show you what OT is about, who ignited a passion for OT in you? Can you adequately define OT?

So long as you have the stats to get an interview (if your prospective schools interview), the interview is what's going to get you into a school--can you talk about OT? Are you passionate about OT? Do you know what you're talking about? This is what interviewers are looking for.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as much as you want to get into OT school, administrations want to fill their seats with people who look successful on paper, but also have the personality to be successful at their school and in the field. Schools have their own stats they need to display too (graduation rates, NBCOT pass rates, job acquisition rates).

I hope you find this helpful, good luck!
I definitely worry about my cumulative GPA a bit, but I'm hoping the way OTCAS combines my university and CC GPA will work in my favor. That being said, I'll definitely keep those questions in mind when writing my personal statement and interviewing. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
School: Cal State University Long Beach
Major: Health Science concentration in community health
Overall GPA: 3.98
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9-4.0 (depending on the schools)
GRE: Taking in August:grumpy:
Applying: CSUDH, Loma Linda University, Pacific University Oregon, Colorado State University, University of Puget Sound, Stanbridge college
Shadow hours: 200 hours at a level II trauma hospital (ICU, CCU, Neuro-DOU, Cardio, Burn, Psych) and also the rehabilitative science volunteer chair. Future shadowing at a PEDS summer camp for Autistic children
Other experience:
-120 hour internship at a health equity research center on campus at CSULB. Performed data input, verification, cleaning, analysis, and wrote abstracts on a variety of projects.
-One year as a research assistant for a graduate professor researching misuse and diversion of prescription stimulants on campus. Presented preliminary analysis of misuse deterrents at ACHA 2019 and won first place. The study will soon be in the analysis phase so hopefully we will get published before applications are due lol.

I'm really scared for the GRE! I'm not good at taking long tests. I'm taking a Prep course which I hope will help. I am also worried I don't have enough shadowing hours so I might try and shadow at another facility.

Applying: CSUDH, Loma Linda University, Pacific University Oregon, Colorado State University, University of Puget Sound, Stanbridge college
Shadow hours: 200 hours at a level II trauma hospital (ICU, CCU, Neuro-DOU, Cardio, Burn, Psych) and also the rehabilitative science volunteer chair. Future shadowing at a PEDS summer camp for Autistic children
Other experience:
-120 hour internship at a health equity research center on campus at CSULB. Performed data input, verification, cleaning, analysis, and wrote abstracts on a variety of projects.
-One year as a research assistant for a graduate professor researching misuse and diversion of prescription stimulants on campus. Presented preliminary analysis of misuse deterrents at ACHA 2019 and won first place. The study will soon be in the analysis phase so hopefully we will get published before applications are due lol.

I'm really scared for the GRE! I'm not good at taking long tests. I'm taking a Prep course which I hope will help. I am also worried I don't have enough shadowing hours so I might try and shadow at another facility.

With that GPA, I wouldn't be worrying about the GRE at all! Haha. I understand, though. It's hard to gauge how competitive other applicants will be. Also, I don't think you should worry about shadowing hours - the highest hour requirement I've seen is 80, and I've read somewhere that more than the minimum doesn't necessarily help your application. Best of luck!

School: Eastern Washington University
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: My EWU GPA is a 3.98, but my GPA from running start was a 3.86! Combined I believe it's a 3.93, anyone know a way to figure this out?
Pre-req GPA: 3.9-4.0

GRE: Got my scores back! 157 V 150 Q 5.0 AW

Applying: Eastern Washington University, University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, Pacific University, and I'm debating on applying to a couple others still

Shadow/Volunteer Hours: 50 and growing in two different peds clinics,
130 and growing in 2 different SNF facilities,
15 in 2 separate hand therapy clinics,
30 hippotherapy (although this was PT).
I'm also volunteering with an organization involving the homeless starting soon here.

Work: I've worked for about a year and a half as a dietary assistant in an assisted living center, which has given me some valuable experience working with the elderly. I'm also considering getting my CNA certification this summer to have more experience with transfers, taking vitals etc.

Extracurriculars: Treasurer of the pre-OT club

Good luck to everyone! This whole process has me anxious but I know it's necessary to get my dream job! I'm going to start working on my personal statement soon here, when are you guys going to be applying?

Last edited:
School: Texas Tech University
Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Psychology and Spanish
Overall GPA: 4.0
GRE: Not required by TTU

Applying: Texas Tech

Shadow/Volunteer Hours: Equine-assisted Therapy 150 hrs, Internship abroad in Spanish retirement home 70 hrs, Patient experience intern at local hospital 60 hrs, Big sister program 80 hrs, Pediatric therapy 30 hrs

Work: Currently working as a rehab technician at a hand therapy clinic also I have worked for Costco for three years

So stressed to be beginning the application process! Lmk if anyone has advice for the personal statement or interview process. I don't exactly have an amazing backstory I just interned at the hospital and became interested in OT one day and began doing more research... but now it's a field I have such a deep appreciation for. As for interviews, I get very nervous in situations like that if anyone else can relate. Also, I'm from TX if anyone is looking into schools there! Best of luck to everyone :)

Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker but now that I am finally applying to OT schools this year, I wanted to put my stats out here!

Please let me know what my chances are for my schools, and don't be soft! :/

School: UC San Diego (B.S. in Psychology)
GPA: 3.58
pre-req GPA: 3.8-3.9
GRE: 161V 166Q 5.5AWA

Volunteering/Observing:
-120 hours in inpatient rehab hospital
-80 hours in pediatric clinic
(I am planning on doing SNF hours)

Job:
-800+ hours as a physical therapy aide for a PT clinic

Letters of Rec:
1 OT, 1 OT (Volunteer supervisor), 1 physiology professor, and 1 PT (boss)

Applying to:
USC (dream school!), WUSTL, Boston University, Loma Linda, CSUDH, University of St Augustine, West Coast University, San Jose State University, Samuel Merritt, Stanbridge, Dominican University

What are my chances for USC, WUSTL, and Boston? It is my dream to go to these amazing schools for this amazing profession!

Accepted:
USC, WUSTL, West Coast, and declined interviews for the rest!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker but now that I am finally applying to OT schools this year, I wanted to put my stats out here!

Volunteering/Observing:

Job:

Letters of Rec:

Applying to:
USC (dream school!), WUSTL, Boston University, Loma Linda, CSUDH, University of St Augustine, West Coast University, San Jose State University, Samuel Merritt, Stanbridge, Dominican University

What are my chances for USC, WUSTL, and Boston? It is my dream to go to these amazing schools for this amazing profession!
I think your stats are well above average...as long as your personal statement and letters of recommendation are good, I don’t see any reason why USC wouldn’t accept you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone. I am so excited to be applying this cycle, but I am very, very nervous. I am most nervous because I will be applying with A/P II still in progress, and my prereq GPA/GRE aren't stellar. Although the schools I am applying to say it's okay, it still makes me nervous. Please give me any advice/let me know what you think.

School:
Undergrad- UGA; Human Development and Family Science; certificate in disability studies
Graduate- Georgia State; Master's in Social Work

Overall GPA:
Undergrad- 3.7
Graduate- 4.0

Prereq- ~3.65-3.75 depending on schools

GRE- Q: 153, V: 155, AW: 4.5

Observation: 16 hours vestibular rehab, 16 hours acute care, 24 hours lymphedema, 65 hours hand therapy, 15 hours SNF, 100 hours Peds

Work: Waitressed throughout college, 1 year teaching at Montessori preschool, 2 years as an academic coach for undergrads (during grad school), 1 year work with refugees in nonprofit, 1 year work with adults with developmental disabilities in non profit, currently work as admin assistant at school for kids with dyslexia

Volunteer: after school program with kids with disabilities, therapeutic horse riding center, adaptive sports program, homeless feeding program, meals on wheels, first book (provides @ risk kids with books), Haiti Helpers (medical mission group to Haiti)

Applying to: Georgia State, WUSTL, Salus, Temple

**Any advice/feedback is welcome. I haven't written my personal statement yet but plan to start soon.

Hi, everyone. I am so excited to be applying this cycle, but I am very, very nervous. I am most nervous because I will be applying with A/P II still in progress, and my prereq GPA/GRE aren't stellar. Although the schools I am applying to say it's okay, it still makes me nervous. Please give me any advice/let me know what you think.

School:
Undergrad- UGA; Human Development and Family Science; certificate in disability studies

Overall GPA:
Undergrad- 3.7
Graduate- 4.0

Prereq- ~3.65-3.75 depending on schools

GRE- Q: 153, V: 155, AW: 4.5

Observation: 16 hours vestibular rehab, 16 hours acute care, 24 hours lymphedema, 65 hours hand therapy, 15 hours SNF, 100 hours Peds

Work: Waitressed throughout college, 1 year teaching at Montessori preschool, 2 years as an academic coach for undergrads (during grad school), 1 year work with refugees in nonprofit, 1 year work with adults with developmental disabilities in non profit, currently work as admin assistant at school for kids with dyslexia

Volunteer: after school program with kids with disabilities, therapeutic horse riding center, adaptive sports program, homeless feeding program, meals on wheels, first book (provides @ risk kids with books), Haiti Helpers (medical mission group to Haiti)

Applying to: Georgia State, WUSTL, Salus, Temple

**Any advice/feedback is welcome. I haven't written my personal statement yet but plan to start soon.
Honestly, I think your stats look pretty good! You have a lot of diverse experience, and I would focus on writing a really stellar personal statement. Find a way to integrate your experiences in a way that will show why you want to be an OT and how your experiences will set you up to make good contributions to the field.

Hello everyone! I've been reading posts on some OT forums last year, and decided to finally post something. I applied only to CSUDH this last cycle and I got waitlisted. I know... I went go big or go home. I thought I'd share my stats with you all.

School:
Undergrad- CSULB: Child Development and Family Studies BA

Overall GPA:
Undergrad - ~3.68-3.7
Prereq - 4.0

GRE- Q: 146, V: 145, AW: 4 (I know... these scores are horrible ><)

Observation: 400+ hours OT hand clinic observation/ work, and 100 hours in outpatient pediatrics

Work: I worked as a teacher's aide for an after school program for 1 year, 2 years as a Behavioral Therapist/ consultant working with kiddos with autism and down syndrome as well as teaching strategies to their caregivers, and currently working as an OT aide at a hands clinic.

Volunteer: in undergrad I volunteered at a rehabilitation center working with adults and teens (~1 semester)

LOR: OT, OT, anatomy professor

Applying to: CSUDH (top choice), KUMC, USC

At the time of applying last year, I probably had 200ish hours at my hand clinic, and 30 hours at the pediatric's clinic. Amazing that I was considered and put on the waitlist for CSUDH. I am studying and retaking the GRE again and hoping for a better score, definitely aiming for a higher verbal and AWA score.

How do you guys feel about applying to an OTD program ? I was really interested in applying to KUMC because they didn't require the GRE, was originally just a master's program, and my family lives there. Since I have taken some prereqs for that school I might as well just apply!

Last edited:
Undergrad School:
University of North Texas
B.S. in Rehabilitation Studies and B.A. in Theatre

Cum GPA: 3.59
Prerequisite GPA: 3.76-3.83
GRE: 149V 149 Q Writing 4.0 (I know these are low, but I'm not the best test taker. Do you think I could still get in/look competitive with these scores??)

Observation: 35 hours in SNF, 34 hours in Outpatient rehab hospital, 15 hours Peds clinic (with a COTA)

Volunteer/Work experience: Good Samaritan Society Fitness and Wellness Volunteer, Home health aide, college campus minister

LOR: Supervisor, hoping to get one from someone I shadowed and from my physics professor I'm taking this summer

Applying: TWU, Texas Tech, UMHB (unaccredited), Univ of Central Arkansas, Brunel University, Carroll University

Interviews: UMHB

Acceptances: not yet

Rejections: hopefully none

I've been following this forum for the past two years so I'm excited that now is my chance to actually APPLY! How do my chances look?

School:

Go Panthers! ;) I'm ATL based applying to GSU as well. Your stats have mine beat.

FYI, GSU averages for 2019 cohort was listed as:
3.68 cumulative
3.7 prereq
152 GRE V
150 GRE Q
4.0 AWA

Your stats are competitive.

Go Panthers! ;) I'm ATL based applying to GSU as well. Your stats have mine beat.

FYI, GSU averages for 2019 cohort was listed as:
3.68 cumulative
3.7 prereq
152 GRE V
150 GRE Q
4.0 AWA

Your stats are competitive.

Thanks for the response. Maybe we will be classmates :)

Volunteering/Observing:

Job:

Letters of Rec:

Applying to:

I am also applying to BU, WCU and Stanbridge. I know an OT at BU and she said that her GRE was under and she still got in. Your GRE is amazing, so I wouldn't be too worried about it!

Hi, everyone! I am extremely nervous about this application process- it is my first time applying. So if you ahve any advice, or see an area where I could improve it would be greatly appreciated!

Undergraduate: Ohio University
GPA: 3.93
Pre req: 4.0
GRE: 151 V, 144 Q, 4.0 AW (really bad :( Standardized test are not my strong suit)
Applying to: West Coast University (MSOT AND OTD), Stanbridge University (MSOT), and possibly Boston University (OTD), CSUDH (MSOT), and Loma Linda (MSOT)

Shadowing: -40 hours (in-patient pediatrics. Mostly cerebral palsy) internship in Kenya
-40 Hours at an out-patient therapy center
-around 40 hours at an in-patient mental health center
-around 40 hours as an activity therapy aid at an in-patient mental health center
-10 hours at an out-patient therapy center (hand therapy)
Volunteer: -40 hours volunteering in Laos
-24 hours BOBCATHON
-10 hours at Passionworks studios
Work Experience: foodrunner/ kitchen prep/ server for 5 years
Extracirriculars: -Fundraising chair for Phi Sigma Pi
-Line Dance Chair for Bobcathon
-Vice President of the Pre-OT club
-Member of the Autism Acceptance Club
I am extremely nervous, but excited about applying. I finished my BA in 2 years, and am scared of not getting accepted due to my age and inexperience.
I am from Ohio, but would really like to move to California for grad school :)

Hi, everyone! I am extremely nervous about this application process- it is my first time applying. So if you ahve any advice, or see an area where I could improve it would be greatly appreciated!

Undergraduate: Ohio University
GPA: 3.93
Pre req: 4.0
GRE: 151 V, 144 Q, 4.0 AW (really bad :( Standardized test are not my strong suit)
Applying to: West Coast University (MSOT AND OTD), Stanbridge University (MSOT), and possibly Boston University (OTD), CSUDH (MSOT), and Loma Linda (MSOT)

Shadowing: -40 hours (in-patient pediatrics. Mostly cerebral palsy) internship in Kenya
-40 Hours at an out-patient therapy center
-around 40 hours at an in-patient mental health center
-around 40 hours as an activity therapy aid at an in-patient mental health center
-10 hours at an out-patient therapy center (hand therapy)
Volunteer: -40 hours volunteering in Laos
-24 hours BOBCATHON
-10 hours at Passionworks studios
Work Experience: foodrunner/ kitchen prep/ server for 5 years
Extracirriculars: -Fundraising chair for Phi Sigma Pi
-Line Dance Chair for Bobcathon
-Vice President of the Pre-OT club
-Member of the Autism Acceptance Club
I am extremely nervous, but excited about applying. I finished my BA in 2 years, and am scared of not getting accepted due to my age and inexperience.
I am from Ohio, but would really like to move to California for grad school :)

You have a lot of variety in settings for your shadowing hours and that's going to look great to OT schools! I think you should focus on writing a great personal statement about what got you into OT and try to draw from what you've learned while shadowing/volunteering and you'll be all set! Your GRE isn't going to hold you back, you've already cushioned it with other stronger elements. I think you can send in your OT application with confidence :)

I got accepted to TWU(Houston campus) and I start this fall. My last 60 hours GPA was a 3.5, post bacc is a 4.0, pre req 4.0, GRE 145v 145q 4W. My cumulative according to OTCAS is a 2.73.

I had 80 observation hours. 4 LOR (2 professors with PhDs, a medical doctor I work for, and a work supervisor)

I also interviewed with UCA and I am still waitlisted.

I’d say you have an excellent chance of getting interviews. Write a good essay, and do some mock interviews to prepare.
Woah that's very encouraging to hear! You go girl!! Also I noticed that you didn't have an OTR complete a LOR. I thought it was mandatory for TWU?

Hello everyone! I've been reading posts on some OT forums last year, and decided to finally post something. I applied only to CSUDH this last cycle and I got waitlisted. I know... I went go big or go home. I thought I'd share my stats with you all.

School:
Undergrad- CSULB: Child Development and Family Studies BA

Overall GPA:
Undergrad - ~3.68-3.7
Prereq - 4.0

GRE- Q: 146, V: 145, AW: 4 (I know... these scores are horrible ><)

Observation: 400+ hours OT hand clinic observation/ work, and 100 hours in outpatient pediatrics

Work: I worked as a teacher's aide for an after school program for 1 year, 2 years as a Behavioral Therapist/ consultant working with kiddos with autism and down syndrome as well as teaching strategies to their caregivers, and currently working as an OT aide at a hands clinic.

Volunteer: in undergrad I volunteered at a rehabilitation center working with adults and teens (~1 semester)

LOR: OT, OT, anatomy professor

Applying to: CSUDH (top choice), KUMC, USC

At the time of applying last year, I probably had 200ish hours at my hand clinic, and 30 hours at the pediatric's clinic. Amazing that I was considered and put on the waitlist for CSUDH. I am studying and retaking the GRE again and hoping for a better score, definitely aiming for a higher verbal and AWA score.

How do you guys feel about applying to an OTD program ? I was really interested in applying to KUMC because they didn't require the GRE, was originally just a master's program, and my family lives there. Since I have taken some prereqs for that school I might as well just apply!
It sounds like you’re in SoCal. What about Loma Linda University? They don’t require a GRE.

University: Excelsior College
Major: Liberal Studies
Minor: Japanese
Overall GPA: ~3.44 (I had 5 Fs a million years ago and it’s hard to recover. My last 120 hours are 3.89)
GRE: pending
Applying: USC, Loma Linda, University of St. Augustine San Marcos. (Looking for a summer start. I have alternate fall start options if none of these accept me.)
Shadow hours: 35 hours adult outpatient; 40 hours TBI and pain management at a military base clinic; pending (prob close to 300 hours) - 2 month full time internship at a pediatric therapy facility.
Other experience: 20 years active duty Army (retiring in December) - no healthcare background, but a ton of leadership and management and interpersonal skills; lots of volunteer work with veterans organizations.

Concerned about my degree being from a “for profit” school, but in reality, all my courses are from legit brick and mortar schools...I just used the for profit school to conveniently package up all my credits into a degree. Moving so often in the Army made it hard to establish academic residency at a school.

Excited for OTCAS to open...I’ve been waiting for this career change for a long time!
Hello my fellow, or soon to be, veteran! I did six years active duty Army and medically retired in 2011. Started school in 2015 and I'm hoping to start a career in OT, after I get accepted and complete everything! Loma Linda is my #1 choice.

Hello everyone, I will begin applying this cycle! And I just want some input on my stats

University: University of West Georgia
Major: Psychology with a minor in Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71
GRE: Low and I’m a bad standardized tester, so I’m applying to schools that don’t require it.

Extra-Curric: 400+ hours nannying a child with Rett Syndrome, 150+ hours working at a day care, volunteer of The Brian T. Rounds Youth Association for five years, Dean’s List (3x) since being in college, a member of The National Council of Negro Women, Honors College, University Ambassador, and a member of the Black Student Alliance. Created my own foundation that donated female hygiene products to churches and women’s shelters.

Observation/Volunteer: 170+ hours between hand therapist, pediatric therapist (where we used the neurosuit), and SNF.

LOR: Employer(Mother of child with Rett Syndrome), SNF Occupational therapist, and Pediatric occupational therapist

Acceptances: Applying to Lenoir-Rhyne University, Cox College, Brenau University and Gannon University (Ruskin campus)

Rejections:

Interviews:

How do I look so far? Thanks guys!

Hey guys! I'd like to share my OT application process with all of you in order to motivate everyone on here that just because maybe your GRE score or GPA isn't the best doesn't mean that you won't be able to get into your dream school!

Here were my stats when I applied:

B.S in Nutrition & Dietetics

GRE: Verbal 148, Math 137!!!, and a 4 writing score.

GPA:3.66

I'm also fluent in Spanish (maybe that helped score some extra points).

Volunteer hours: I went to Kenya with projects abroad and completed 68 hours in a disabled children's home and completed 12 hours at a pediatric therapy service center. Total = 80 hrs.

I also had done approximately 40 or more hours of additional volunteer work at food banks and other community related programs.

If you can, I highly recommend joining Honor clubs such as Kappa Omicron Nu, Phi Theta Kappa, etc.

My personal statement was also very strong (this helped me tremendously) -- start on that ASAP! That was the most time consuming part for me.

I applied to the following schools: Rocky Mountain College, A.T Still, UNM, University of Davenport, TWU, Idaho State, University of Mary, and Creighton.

Accepted: University of Davenport, Rocky Mountain College, and University of Mary.

I declined my invitation to interview at Creighton since I decided that I really didn't want to move to Omaha :D

Waitlisted: TWU (I got off the waitlist though!!) A.T Still and Idaho State (never got off the waitlist).

Rejected: UNM

I'm happy to announce that TWU was my dream school and I'm so incredibly stoked that I got in!! :D

All in all, I just wanted to share my stats and hopefully this helps! Don't be discouraged and best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
You have a lot of variety in settings for your shadowing hours and that's going to look great to OT schools! I think you should focus on writing a great personal statement about what got you into OT and try to draw from what you've learned while shadowing/volunteering and you'll be all set! Your GRE isn't going to hold you back, you've already cushioned it with other stronger elements. I think you can send in your OT application with confidence :)

Wow thank you so much ️ good luck with your application!

Just popping in to say that it is really worth focusing on the GRE, especially the writing. If you can get that to at least a 4 or above and write a good, personal essay I think your chances of getting into Colorado State are very good.

Other experience:

Hi everyone! I cannot believe that I am getting ready to start applying this year! I am super nervous about my chance and am open to any feedback or suggestions.

Undergraduate University: Wagner College
Degree: Biopsychology
Minor: Cultural Competency for Allied Health
Cumulative GPA: 3.62
Prerequisite GPA: 3.9-4.0
GRE: not taking

Misc: Varsity swimmer for the past four years on a division 1 program, team captain, dean's list 3x, Psi Chi member (psychology national honor society) and treasurer, member of the National Honor Society for Leadership and Sucess, CPR/First Aid/Lifeguard certified, spent the last semester doing research in the social psychology field

Employment: Beach lifeguarding, camp counselor, babysitting, and currently employed as a WSI (swim instructor) and lifeguard at a day camp in my town

Letters of Rec: 1 from my professor/advisor, 1 from an OT I observed, and 1 from my swim coach for the past four years

Volunteering: Tunnels for Towers, Special Olympics, Breast Cancer/Sexual Assault Walk, and a program in NYC that allows you to watch children with special needs

Observation experience: about 80+ hours in three peds facilities and one adult outpatient facility

Schools: Kean, Stockton, Seaton Hall, Columbia, NYU, Bay Path, SUNY Downstate

Hi everyone! I am applying this cycle and I am really scared because no one I know has been through it so I have had to figure everything out on my own. Any advice/tips would really help!

Major: Double Major in Public Health and Elementary Education
Overall GPA: ~3.72 (A- average on my university's grading scale)
GRE: Taking in September
Schools: USC, Loma Linda, CSUDH, Dominican, Pittsburgh, NYU, Columbia, looking at more schools in the Midwest/South/East Coast that do not require the GRE (would love any suggestions)!
Volunteer hours: 300 as a lead volunteer at a OT peds clinic, 150 hours as the summer lead teacher at the Boys and Girls Club
Shadowing: 70 pediatric, 40 geriatric outpatient rehab
Related experience: Presented my research about effective therapies for children with ASD at a research symposium (got an award for it), currently working on another project on children with ASD, over 200 hours of research experience
EC: Campus tour guide, greek life, first aid lead for youth camps (serving over 1000 kids), university student government, worked for/ represented student housing for 3 years

I’m not sure how my stats look for getting into some schools and the application process is stressing me out.

University: East Tennessee State University
Major: psychology
Minor: biology
Overall GPA: 3.718
Pre-req GPA: between 3.6-3.8 depending on the school
GRE: 149 Quant, 157 Verbal, 5.5 Writing
Applying to: Indiana University, University of Indianapolis, University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, University of florida, Jacksonville University, St. Augustine (in St. Augustine)
Shadowing hours: 40 (soon to be 80) in pediatric outpatient, 20 in acute inpatient, 40 in physical therapy outpatient*, 20 in pediatric in patient
Volunteer work: 80 hours in an elementary classroom, 20~ hours in other various setting
Extracurriculars: Cross country/Track Runner @ D1 school, community service liaison for Student Athlete Advisory Committee, member of the Public Service Corps

I am really interested in applying to St. Augustine for their January 2020 start date since I will be graduating in December. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback about admissions to any of the schools where I am applying, but especially St. Augustine.

Hi everyone! I would love my feedback on my stats. I am so nervous!

Undergrad: Quinnipiac University

Major: Health Science Studies

Minor: Psychology

Cumulative GPA: 3.55

GRE: not taking & applying to schools that don’t require it

Extra Curricular/Volunteer: President of Bobcats in the Community (community service club such as soup kitchens, nursing homes, and animal shelters), Activities Coordinator & now Vice President for Best Buddies, Secretary for Love Your Melon Foundation, Programming Administrator for QTHON (dance marathon at my school), Kappa Delta Sorority Choreographer/Peer mentor for special needs talent show

Work/experience: Worked at a special needs summer day camp, currently an intern at a special needs summer camp that is run by speech therapists and occupational therapists, babysitter for a girl with down-syndrome, assistant at an oncology/hematology doctors office

Observation hours: 43 at a hand therapy place, 40 at pediatric, 6 at pediatric, will be around 70 the special needs summer camp that I am interning at, and 2 1/2 at a facility for those with down-syndrome.

I am extremely nervous and would love some advice on my personal statement to help me stand out! I feel like my GPA is so low compared to others that I need to find other ways to stick out. Thank you and good luck to everyone :)

Hi everyone, I'm applying this cycle too and am very anxious about my application. I hope to get any advice to improve and feedback on my chances with current schools.
University: SJSU
Major: Child Development
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: ~3.71 SJSU and 3.9 from CC I'm not sure how it'll work
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.7 depending on the school
GRE: 153 V 152 Q 4AW
Letter of Rec: 1 OT, 1 Professor, 1 professional
Extra Curricular/Volunteer:
  • Volunteered park & rec with their teen summer camp - I worked with teens with intellectual disabilities.
  • Reading partners
  • Teacher assistant for toddlers
  • Pediatric clinic (clerical hours)
Observation hours:
  • 80 hours at outpatient rehab clinic
  • 20 hours at pediatric OT clinic

Hi everyone! This will be my first time applying- so nerve wracking!!!

Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9-4.0
GRE: taking next month
Letter of Rec: 2 OTs 1 Professor
Extracurricular:
-
60 hours on medical campaign in Peru
-30 hours at an Adaptive Fitness Clinic- train clients w/ disabilities
-Member of pre-professional health club

Observation hours: 258 hours total
-100 hours in outpatient pediatric hospital
-140 hours in 2 different outpatient ortho/neuro clinics
-18 hours outpatient peds clinic

I'll be applying all over! USC, USAHS (San Marcos), UW, Columbia, NYU, Tufts, Stockton, Seton Hall, Kean, MCPHS

What are my chances/ what should I focus on? Any help is appreciated :)

Hi everyone! This will be my first time applying- so nerve wracking!!!

Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.9-4.0
GRE: taking next month
Letter of Rec: 2 OTs 1 Professor
Extracurricular:
-
60 hours on medical campaign in Peru
-30 hours at an Adaptive Fitness Clinic- train clients w/ disabilities
-Member of pre-professional health club

Observation hours: 258 hours total
-100 hours in outpatient pediatric hospital
-140 hours in 2 different outpatient ortho/neuro clinics
-18 hours outpatient peds clinic

I'll be applying all over! USC, USAHS (San Marcos), UW, Columbia, NYU, Tufts, Stockton, Seton Hall, Kean, MCPHS

What are my chances/ what should I focus on? Any help is appreciated :)
What was your stats before? They look good to me, but I'm a first time applier.

Hello! This is also my first time applying, and due to personal/financial circumstances, I'm only applying to CSUDH... Any words of advice from current students are welcome :)

Major: Psychobiology
Undergrad GPA: 3.471 (Lots of pre-med students were in my major and all my classes were curved, hence the poor GPA :arghh:)
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: 156 V / 157 Q / 5 AWA

Work experience: 2+ years as registered behavior technician (ABA)

Volunteer experience: 290 hours total
- 40 PT/OT/HT outpatient rehab clinic
- 100 Hospital PT/OT rehab gym
- 30 Peds weeklong summer camp (awarded Volunteer of the Week (lol), signed by OT)
- 40 School district, rotating between 7 schools
- 80 Outpatient peds clinic

Other extracurricular:
- 300 hours at public hospital, assisting in Med/Surg (3 mo), Peds (3 mo), and Acute Rehab (6 mo)
- UCLA certificate in patient experience and pre-licensed clinical care
- UCR extension certificate program in health policy and management
- Involved in pre-OT/PT club (undergrad)*
- Psi Chi Honor Society (undergrad)*
- Makeup freelancing experience for 3+ years*
*Are these even worth mentioning in my app?

LOR: OT (outpatient peds clinic), OT (school district), Work supervisor (ABA)

Last edited:
Just applied for the 2020 cycle, just wanted to know my chances because the waiting game sucks!

Major: Exercise Science
Undergrad GPA: 3.33
Prereq GPA: ~3.7
GRE: 162 V / 153 Q / 5 AW

Work experience:
3+ years as a PT aide (~1400+ hours)
1 year as an OT aide (hand therapy clinic, ~400+ hours)

Internship Experience:

Health and wellness intern at assisted living facility (1 semester)

Observation experience:
- 400+ OT aide hand therapy clinic, more in progress
- 12 outpatient pediatrics
- 15 school for children with disabilities
- 20 outpatient rehab (geriatrics)

Other extracurricular:
-South asian dance team
-Cultural sorority in undergrad, 2 leadership positions in sorority
-physical therapy club
-volunteer as exercise leader for a senior exercise class

LOR: 1 OT (hand therapist), 1 PT (supervisor/employer @ work), 1 Professor

School: Florida State University
Major: Family and Child Sciences & Psychology
GPA: 3.99
GRE: 151V 160Q 4.0AW
Shadowing Hours: 150 hours pediatrics 30 hand therapy
Involvement: Mentor at a Headstart, Academic Chair of my sorority, Intern at Florida Lottery, Research Assistant for Family and Child Sciences Department, Panhellenic Recruitment Counselor, Event Coordinator Children Beyond Our Borders Club, Internal Outreach Coordinator Freedom FSU Club

Applying: Texas Tech University, NYU, Columbia, FGCU, Brunel London

Hey guys, I'm sure this question has been asked before in previous threads but do you need to have all of your LORs in before you submit your application for verification?

School: Florida State University
Major: Family and Child Sciences & Psychology
GPA: 3.99
GRE: 151V 160Q 4.0AW
Shadowing Hours: 150 hours pediatrics 30 hand therapy
Involvement: Mentor at a Headstart, Academic Chair of my sorority, Intern at Florida Lottery, Research Assistant for Family and Child Sciences Department, Panhellenic Recruitment Counselor, Event Coordinator Children Beyond Our Borders Club, Internal Outreach Coordinator Freedom FSU Club

Applying: Texas Tech University, NYU, Columbia, FGCU, Brunel London
Your chances for Texas Tech look good! I'm also applying to the TTUHSC and currently finishing out my undergrad here at Texas Tech. Let me know if you have any questions about TTU! :)

If anyone would like to help each other out with personal statements let me know! This has been the most stressful part of the application for me.

If anyone would like to help each other out with personal statements let me know! This has been the most stressful part of the application for me.

Hey pm me! I could read yours and give you feedback. If you could read mines and do the same that would be great.

Hey everyone! I'm soooo excited/nervous to apply! I'm also super anxious to take the GRE at the end of August, do ya'll think GRE scores are weighed heavily in the admission decision? Anyways here's my stats!

School: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.94
Pre-req GPA: 3.8
GRE: Pending

Observation:

- 20 Hours inpatient stroke & spinal cord injury rehab hospital
- 45 hours outpatient pediatric rehab facility
- 20 hours inpatient women's and children OT hospital

Extracurricular:
-
Assistant coach for kids football team (2 years)
- Volunteer for National Children's Cancer Society Vending Program (2 years)

Applying to: UW, U. Puget Sound, Pacific U (Oregon), Loma Linda U, U. St Augustine San Marcos, Midwestern U! Any feedback on what my chances are getting into these schools will be much appreciated!

Hey!
Loma Linda doesn't require the GRE! So you should be fine there for sure! Your GPA looks great, so I wouldn't even worry! Good Luck! :)

Does anyone know if they have seen the application link available for Columbia University?

For those who have filled out the experiences section already, did you put your observation hours and settings in that section as well? Or should I just keep that strictly for jobs/extracurriculars and describe my observation hours in the observation hours section only?

For those who have filled out the experiences section already, did you put your observation hours and settings in that section as well? Or should I just keep that strictly for jobs/extracurriculars and describe my observation hours in the observation hours section only?

I’m curious about this too, since I worked as a rehab tech.