This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShankillMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just finished residency in PA and am an IMG so had to wait till 30 days prior to residency finishing to fully submit my application for full license. In prior years most IMGs had received their licenses by July 1st, but mine has not even been reviewed yet. Is anyone else having this issue? I would love to get a sense as to if IMGs have had their License applications reviewed and when they submitted their applications. I have a job starting in September and I'm cutting it close to get my PA license back and then apply for DEA prior to job starting. Thanks for any help or advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I just finished residency in PA and am an IMG so had to wait till 30 days prior to residency finishing to fully submit my application for full license. In prior years most IMGs had received their licenses by July 1st, but mine has not even been reviewed yet. Is anyone else having this issue? I would love to get a sense as to if IMGs have had their License applications reviewed and when they submitted their applications. I have a job starting in September and I'm cutting it close to get my PA license back and then apply for DEA prior to job starting. Thanks for any help or advice.
It took me something like 5 weeks to get my Pa license but I applied before April... the website says that if you apply after match day it can take a few months

Reactions: 1 users
It took me something like 5 weeks to get my Pa license but I applied before April... the website says that if you apply after match day it can take a few months

thanks a mil for the reply. I took 3 weeks out of residency for paternity leave- so couldn't apply til early june. it's now been 6 and a half weeks, so i guess i'm not too hopeful it'll come soon. Out of interest. Did you apply for your DEA? How long did that take you then?

thanks a mil for the reply. I took 3 weeks out of residency for paternity leave- so couldn't apply til early june. it's now been 6 and a half weeks, so i guess i'm not too hopeful it'll come soon. Out of interest. Did you apply for your DEA? How long did that take you then?
DEA is easy...5 days

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

Hey I was just wondering if you had gotten your license and if so how long it took ? I am actually in the same boat but I need my license in PA to be considered board certified so I can apply to practice in Canada . I am 6.5 weeks in and wondering how much longer the wait is ? Thanks so much

Hey I was just wondering if you had gotten your license and if so how long it took ? I am actually in the same boat but I need my license in PA to be considered board certified so I can apply to practice in Canada . I am 6.5 weeks in and wondering how much longer the wait is ? Thanks so much

Hey- I have received my license. It was a long process. So they say it can take up to 60 days. They mean 60 business days. Mine took 55 business days- so 11 weeks. That was just for it to be reviewed. Fortunately everything they needed was there so as soon as they reviewed my file they issued the license the same day. Good luck.

Hey all,
Can an IMG apply for PA license or residency?