Parents fight DO vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am lucky enough to have parents who understand what a DO is. My problem was convincing my coworkers, and I work at a Hospital!! Finally, I just started naming doctors who frequented our unit, and asked if the nurses thought they were good doctors. I then told them that they were all DOs. This seemed to do the trick!

Members don't see this ad.

My mom has been a nurse for 20+ years in Ohio and Florida and she enthusiastically recommended I find a DO school when I first started talking about med school. It was her excitement that made me look into DO school seriously. Her favorite doctors have been DOs and she had been very impressed with many of the DO residents and students who rotated through her floor.

Recently, I told her that I heard that there is animosity toward DOs from colleagues and patients. She had no idea what I was talking about and said that the hospital staff know who the crappy doctors are and it has nothing to do with their degree. She was shocked that anyone would have a problem with the initials and went on to ask why people would think or say there is a problem.

I guess I am fortunate that my parents just want me to be happy and didn't know there was an issue with DO vs MD at all.