PCOM GA Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LimeCloud

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I currently have been accepted to PCOM GA and BCOM (Burrell COM).
I am interested in the lifestyles and clinical rotations of PCOM, which is literally 20 min from my parent's home by car.
The last thread I could find on PCOM GA clinical rotations was 2016, with warnings of potential changes.

So current PCOM GA students, I have some questions.

For the 3rd/4th year students, I would like the names of some of the hospitals in the each region (metro Atlanta, NW, NE, SW,SE)
If there are any changes since the 2016 thread, I would appreciate those feedbacks too.

For the 1st/2nd year students, I would like to know your typical school day schedule.
Are you taking lectures every day from 8 AM to 5 PM?
8 AM to noon?
Although I do find value in lecture, I also need time to read through materials and process it myself, so a 8-5 schedule with mandatory attendance basically means I will have no free time at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I just realized I posted on the wrong subforum.
Mods, please delete this thread, I will post on the correct one.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the 3rd/4th year students, I would like the names of some of the hospitals in the each region (metro Atlanta, NW, NE, SW,SE)
If there are any changes since the 2016 thread, I would appreciate those feedbacks too.
Can you link this post?

For the 1st/2nd year students, I would like to know your typical school day schedule.
Are you taking lectures every day from 8 AM to 5 PM?
8 AM to noon?

Class schedule will vary a lot depending on the term and day of the week. But mostly students are "in class" 9-4. Some days you will have class at 8AM, other days you will have a lab session (whether its for your main class, CRIBS w/e) that will extend your day to 5PM. Then there is some days where you are out at 12. Its a standardized curririculum that will vary alot from week to week.

The mandatory class schedule thing is terrible but it seems like everybody has found a way to work around it. You either wear headphones and do the easy tasks during class (watching videos, making your review sheets etc and then study for real when you get out). Or you become the typical class goer and listen intently in lecture and learn in class.

I will say you should doubt any promises most schools will make. One thing i've noticed about DO schools is that the experience is different for students on a yearly basis. Clinical rotations that were "guaranteed" when you were applying may be gone by the time you become a third year.

GA-PCOM was non-mandatory attendance for the longest time then they "wanted to try something new". Any school not just mine is capable of something like this.

Just for point of reference. This is what most typical weeks look like for a 2nd year.
1st years are in SPOM right now but when they get into CMBM it will look something similar like this. Except their PCS, OMM days will be flipped and their CRIBS will be replaced with either a CMBM review class or another class.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 8.46.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 8.46.27 AM.png
    677.6 KB · Views: 153
Just for point of reference. This is what most typical weeks look like for a 2nd year.
1st years are in SPOM right now but when they get into CMBM it will look something similar like this. Except their PCS, OMM days will be flipped and their CRIBS will be replaced with either a CMBM review class or another class.
Yikes