PCOM GA vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aubrey Graham

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between these schools? I have been accepted at the GA campus but haven't heard back from PA campus.

Also, should I pick PCOM GA or CCOM?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on whether you like the south or the northeast. Both are amazing programs!

PCOM-Ga is a new satellite campus of the mother campus in Philli (aka PCOM). PCOM-Ga will have the reputation and most likely a lot of funding and resources, but you will not have the luxury that PCOM so far as research facilities and research funding goes or the excellent clinical sites. I think PCOM-Ga would be a very good school to attend and if it were me I would choose it over CCOM for a couple of reasons. Reason number one being CCOM is in Chicago. Reason number two being that their CoA is one of the highest in the nation. Do what you feel is best for you. I also like the southern weather - born and raised in the south.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely PCOM-GA. Very high quality, and beautiful GA.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a huge difference in facilities and research at PCOM vs PCOM-GA? I really want to specialize and want to have the best opportunity for that...

Well, go with what you have. It won't matter, because you don't have an acceptance there right now so you can't weigh the pros and cons, but if you do get accepted there then you should definitely go which will rule out having to weigh the pros and cons. Yes, I would venture to guess one of the oldest DO schools in the country has better research facilities than a brand new school in Georgia.

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM will definitely give you better opportunities than PCOM-GA. I will be attending PCOM-GA for family reasons, but it would be naive to deny that PCOM gives you the best shot between these two to complete lofty (for DO) goals.

What about PCOM ga vs CCOM? Would it be worth the extra 60k over 4 years?

This is my subjective opinion. I think pcom-Philly and ccom are in the same league, but pcom-ga is in a different, lesser, league. Do I think ccom being the subjectively better school over pcom-ga is worth $60k? I doubt it.

The 2016 pcom-GA match lists totally fine.

My friend who is an MS3 told me that the administration is very subpar at PCOM-GA.

I still sent in my secondary, though.

PCOM will definitely give you better opportunities than PCOM-GA. I will be attending PCOM-GA for family reasons, but it would be naive to deny that PCOM gives you the best shot between these two to complete lofty (for DO) goals.

I go to PCOM and as far as I know the curriculum is the same. First two years are very similar. Beyond that im not sure. I like PCOM and im sure georgia campus is great too! A wonderful state and very close to atlanta!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to PCOM and as far as I know the curriculum is the same. First two years are very similar. Beyond that im not sure. I like PCOM and im sure georgia campus is great too! A wonderful state and very close to atlanta!!!

3rd and 4th year are what set schools apart in my opinion.

You are right though. I'm a local. Suwanee is a great place. There is a lot to do in the surrounding areas as well. It's not completely overrun with the worst the South has to offer like much of the state either.

Hi, I'm a Med student at GAPCOM. Do NOT go to this malignant program. It is utterly garbage. Low board pass rates, high failure and academic leave rates, and the administration absolutely does not care about you. Good luck finding a quiet place to study if you come to this **** hole.

I'm the ONLY one who will tell you the truth about this garbage program. Stay away unless you have NO OTHER OPTIONS.

Hi, I'm a Med student at GAPCOM. Do NOT go to this malignant program. It is utterly garbage. Low board pass rates, high failure and academic leave rates, and the administration absolutely does not care about you. Good luck finding a quiet place to study if you come to this **** hole.

I'm the ONLY one who will tell you the truth about this garbage program. Stay away unless you have NO OTHER OPTIONS.

That is a joke....PCOM releases all its information. Board pass rates are high 90s, and match rate was 100% http://www.pcom.edu/program-statistics/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine.html

We've had over 15 students fail or take a leave already. These are unheard of numbers. Delude yourself with cherry picked information or listen to somebody with actual experience. Either way, I don't care.

We've had over 15 students fail or take a leave already. These are unheard of numbers. Delude yourself with cherry picked information or listen to somebody with actual experience. Either way, I don't care.

To be fair, you are an anonymous account with zero post history besides this one thing. It's tough to give your word credit...

What proof do you have other than just trolling? Log on to your main or at least same something of substance.

There attrition rate is 9 %, right? But is it because people enroll that can't handle it? Also, the administration can't be that bad? It does have the PCOM name...

My sentiments, and I'm a biomed! I'm incredibly hesitant to apply this cycle. My friends are in the 2nd year and what I hear from them is awful. No set rotation sites. The mandatory classes, being on campus from 8-5. The curriculum changes that happens all the time. The huge amount of people off leave of absence. And no administration does not care in my opinion either. Many, many of them said if they had other options they would gone elsewhere but unfortunately this is all they had.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My sentiments, and I'm a biomed! I'm incredibly hesitant to apply this cycle. My friends are in the 2nd year and what I hear from them is awful. No set rotation sites. The mandatory classes, being on campus from 8-5. The curriculum changes that happens all the time. The huge amount of people off leave of absence. And no administration does not care in my opinion either. Many, many of them said if they had other options they would gone elsewhere but unfortunately this is all they had.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But most of the people I know are pretty happy here. The rotation sites do change, but there are core sites that have not changed in the greater area of GA and FL (Jax has been constant). Classes are in no way mandatory, maybe for the biomed program they are, but not for DO. Lectures are recorded using tegrity and we also have access to the previous year's lecture, which we can choose to watch since they end up being pretty much the same. As for curriculum changes, everything is pretty set. The only thing they change once in a while is the time that certain classes are being taught (for example; Radiology will be taught Thursday instead of Friday). Administration can be a headache sometimes, but so far I've had no problems. And the attitude of the staff is actually very positive and they seem happy to be there.

Biomeds are not mandatory. We have tegrity as well. These are from my best friends in the DO program. They seem pretty miserable. As far as mandatory goes, I mean in regards to making it mandatory for not getting extra points for clickers etc but I mean to each their own. I've been at PCOM for 2 years now as have my friends that are not 1st year DOs, but are now 2nd and 3rd years, and I hear their complaints. I'm not here to sway any ones opinion just voicing mine and my friends. I think it's fair to show both spectrums. The good things about it and the bad so it can be completely informative. At the end of the day it's OPs decision and they asked for an opinion.

Now I'm confused...is this a good school or not? I have contacted the school for their comlex level 1 and 2 scores but they haven't responded...

Now I'm confused...is this a good school or not? I have contacted the school for their comlex level 1 and 2 scores but they haven't responded...

Comlex scores are a poor way to judge quality of a school. My school is considered top tier DO and has board scores lower than people would expect. Whereas other schools have great board scores but have garbage clinical and pre-clinical education. It speaks more to the students than the school itself.

Hey, I'm also a 2nd year DO student who has been here for 3 years because I did the Master's program as well. I completely agree with everything Kbeitz said. It is true medical school admissions are offered to those who show signs to succeed. However, not all will have what it takes once they get in. Medical school is rigorous and it takes a lot out of you. Not everyone can stand it; hence, they give an opportunity to take a leave of absence and return rather than have a failure on your transcript which I believe it's the same way it's done in other schools. It is a very good school and not in the status quo of great yet; though, we still flourish under the accolades of PCOM philly. It has small class size which makes for easy access to professors and vice-versa. The board pass rate for fist time takers has been constant over the past five years. It has been between the range of 93%- 97% with scores ranging from mid 400 to a few 700 on the COMLEX step 1. A few years ago we had a few students within the 290 (296 to be exact for one student) on the USMLE step 1. Match rate has been aalmost 100% for the past few years with several people going into competitive residencies like Radiology, Neurosurgery, Urology, Otolaryngology, Ophthalmology every year. They also tend to go into good residencies such as Mayo Clinic, Emory, Brown.....and so on. The library offers enough space to study during the week and also quiet spaces that are almost sound proof for study. However, during finals the library gets crowded which is normal and expected. As for rotation sites, there are some that are very stable in terms of partnerships and clinical rotations and there are some still in the making. They have good partnerships with renowned several medical enters and hospitals around the state and some out of state like FL, PA, AL. I got accepted into NYITCOM, WCUCOM, LECOM but decided to go here because of the learning style I have adopted and mastered here. This was a pretty lengthy write up but if you've got more questions PM me please