This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalala1122

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
I finished my undergrad in Neurobiology this year in the United States, and my future goal is to be a child psychologist.

I wanted to know what are my chances of getting a license to practice in the United States, if I go abroad (mainly UK) to do a PhD in child psychology.

I also would really appreciate it if someone could guide me through the steps of getting a license after PhD (I am a first gen college student, so I don't know much about this).

I am a US citizen, just want to study in the UK for cultural diversity.

Members don't see this ad.

You're in the wrong forum, lad. Try posting in the Psychology forum to get an answer to your question. :)
Hey!
I finished my undergrad in Neurobiology this year in the United States, and my future goal is to be a child psychologist.

I wanted to know what are my chances of getting a license to practice in the United States, if I go abroad (mainly UK) to do a PhD in child psychology.

I also would really appreciate it if someone could guide me through the steps of getting a license after PhD (I am a first gen college student, so I don't know much about this).

First of all there is no such degree as "child psychology" in the US, at least not which leads to clinical practice.

Generally speaking, degrees are non transferable.

APA website may help:
FAQs About Psychology Licensure & Practice

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Check with the state in which you intend to practice. Many require you to attend an APA-accredited program in order to get licensed. My sister is wrapping up her PhD in clinical psychology this year. It is much better to do it here if you want to practice here, as she got all her offers from connections through her program and intern year.

Hey!

From what research I've done on it, there are two different doctoral degrees in the United Kingdom: one leads to licensure (DClinPsy) and one is for research (DPhil/PhD). You may be required to work for the NHS if you pursue a funded DClinPsy program. The PhD degree is more heavily based on independent research and intended for academic careers. (You can read more about doctoral study in the UK in this thread.) If you plan on practicing in the States, then it's strongly recommended that you get your degree in North America.

There are some clinical child psychology programs that are accredited as programs in clinical psychology that you should be able to find with a Google search (e.g., Kent State University, University of Denver, University of Kansas).

If you plan on practicing in the States, then it's strongly recommended that you get your degree in North America.
Short answer: You will need to attend an APA-acred program in the USA if you want to practice here.

Long answer: Soon (2020?) to qualify for an internship (required for licensure) the organization that oversees internships requires the psychology program to be APA-acred. For awhile they allowed outside programs to qualify, though most internship sites generally didn't consider those applicants.

State licensing boards make the final decision, so I can't say for 100% certainty they won't allow for a foreign degree to meet the standards, but it's a pretty high risk. Most foreign programs have different standards, which are not up to the USA standards; Canada is the one exception.

Hey!

It will likely not be possible. You will need to come from an APA-acred program, APA-acred internship, and attain sufficient post-doc hours in the USA.

PhDs outside of the USA are often setup quite differently...like in the U.K. You'll have a better chance to train here and go there.

Hey!

Why did you repost the same thing that you posted a week and a half ago in a different sub?

PhD in clinical psychology

Did you bother reading any of the helpful and accurate responses in that thread or were you just hoping for a better response that would confirm the soundness of your plan to complete grad school in another country and still get licensed in the US?

Why did you repost the same thing that you posted a week and a half ago in a different sub?

PhD in clinical psychology

Did you bother reading any of the helpful and accurate responses in that thread or were you just hoping for a better response that would confirm the soundness of your plan to complete grad school in another country and still get licensed in the US?
Sorry. I am new to this forum, I was asked to posted under psychology track... that is why I posted there. But yes I read through all the responses and am very grateful for the help.

I have a follow up question, what if I get my doctorate in clinical psychology from the UK, and do my post doc in Child psychology in the US. would that help?
Also will I be able to get into post doc as an intl applicant?

a
I have a follow up question, what if I get my doctorate in clinical psychology from the UK, and do my post doc in Child psychology in the US. would that help?
Also will I be able to get into post doc as an intl applicant?

1) Not at all.
2) no.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for letting me know. But could you please explain how this works and why international applicants are not preferred.
It's because the training is different. Other countries have different models and standards, so even a PhD from advanced industrialized nation like the UK may not meet the same training standards as APA-accredited doctoral program in clinical psychology. In fact, the UK has two doctoral degrees in clinical psychology, one being geared towards research and TT positions and the other focused on clinical practice.

Even if the training was equivalent, how will they know it was? It's just easier for internship and post doc sites to require domestic APA-accredited programs or maybe Canadian CPA programs than for them to do all this legwork of trying to figure out if you are qualified for their sites. There's already a shortage of sites for domestic applicants so why would they open up the admissions pool to applicants with questionable training?

Cultural diversity is fine and dandy, but getting appropriate training is more important than that. Consider where your priorities lie.

Reactions: 1 users
thank you for letting me know. But could you please explain how this works and why international applicants are not preferred.

Honestly, I can't help you because you do not seem to know enough about how doctoral psychology education works.

You learn how doctoral clinical psychology education in the US works. Then you learn what licensing boards require. Maybe you read about how licensing boards can be very specific and have given people from excellent schools difficulties because their course titles are not exactly the same as their requirement. Then you learn how competitive internship is. Maybe you investigate the number of international applicants that are accepted to internship. Then you look up child psychology post docs and get the admission stats on that.

Honestly, I can't help you because you do not seem to know enough about how doctoral psychology education works.

You learn how doctoral clinical psychology education in the US works. Then you learn what licensing boards require. Maybe you read about how licensing boards can be very specific and have given people from excellent schools difficulties because their course titles are not exactly the same as their requirement. Then you learn how competitive internship is. Maybe you investigate the number of international applicants that are accepted to internship. Then you look up child psychology post docs and get the admission stats on that.
One thing people don't get when they ask these kinds of questions about why they shouldn't be able to deviate from the accepted training norms and standards is that the onus is on them to establish why their deviations should be acceptable. The burden is not on everyone else to prove why they shouldn't be allowed to these things and receive equal standing. They need to prove that their deviations don't result in inferior training or a paucity of important skills, knowledge, and/or experience.

One thing people don't get when they ask these kinds of questions about why they shouldn't be able to deviate from the accepted training norms and standards is that the onus is on them to establish why their deviations should be acceptable. The burden is not on everyone else to prove why they shouldn't be allowed to these things and receive equal standing. They need to prove that their deviations don't result in inferior training or a paucity of important skills, knowledge, and/or experience.

I sorta disagree. I think many people just don't understand how regimented the degree path is. The phd moniker ends up confusing people who try to act apply a humanities phd education approach to clinical psych. When you add in the differences in foreign humanities phds, cost, and the fun of being abroad, it seems like they have found a good idea. Back in my day, the internet wasn't so much of a thing. Getting to understand the process seemed more confusing. But learning about the process can only help. Those that refuse...well.

My other opinion is that by definition someone getting into grad school must be at least a bit above average. But once in grad school, the comparison is against other people who are above average. Some people seem to experience difficulties with this adjustment.

Last edited:
I sorta disagree. I think many people just don't understand how regimented the degree path is. The phd moniker ends up confusing people who try to act apply a humanities phd education approach to clinical psych. When you add in the differences in foreign humanities phds, cost, and the fun of being abroad, it seems like they have found a good idea. Back in my day, the internet wasn't so much of a thing. Getting to understand the process seemed more confusing. But learning about the process can only help. Those that refuse...well. (Or maybe I'm just projecting).

My other opinion is that by definition someone getting into grad school must be at least a bit above average. But once in grad school, the comparison is against other people who are above average. Some people seem to experience difficulties with this adjustment. (Not projecting here, my contribution is a willingness to work harder than most).
I wasn't referring to ignorance of the process as much as I was to people who have at least somewhat of a good idea and still refuse to accept it. These are the ones who complain that they don't have the time to dedicate to a brick and mortar program or are unwilling to move, so they want to attend an online grad program. Or there are ones who don't ant to take any time off between undergrad or don't want to switch jobs or volunteer to get more experience to make them competitive, so they apply to expensive programs and those with poor match rates and then complain that they didn't match, can't pass the EPPP, or can't find a good job.

Basically, it was aimed at a different group of people than OP.

Hey!

Speaking to the license after Ph.D. part, you need to research the state you'd like to end up in, but generally, you will need the following (not necessarily in this order):

-Register with your state board to practice at the postdoc level or to start licensure procedures
-Take the EPPP licensing exam (everyone must take it to become licensed)
-Get postdoc hours (some states do not require, most do)
-Some states require an additional test or coursework specific to their state board (i.e. California)
-Submit all required documentation to your state board
-Apply for licensure/pay fees

To answer more specifically about the United Kingdom, the system of education is significantly different from the United States. Stateside, you'll typically get trained in both practice and research, but those are delineated in the UK; PhD is 100% research, and ClinPsyD (or similar) is vocational training. In addition, a British degree to practice clinical psychology is designed specifically for working in the National Health Service, so it may not be applicable to mental health systems in North America. More importantly, you'll miss out on cultural competencies specific to the US, and that can be a disservice to your clients.

What about studying in the UK appeals to you? You mentioned "cultural diversity", but it's not clear what you meant.

Last edited:
To answer more specifically about the United Kingdom, the system of education is significantly different from the United States. Stateside, you'll typically get trained in both practice and research, but those are delineated in the UK; PhD is 100% research, and ClinPsyD (or similar) is vocational training. In addition, a British degree to practice clinical psychology is designed specifically for working in the National Health Service, so it may not be applicable to mental health systems in North America. More importantly, you'll miss out on cultural competencies specific to the US, and that can be a disservice to your clients.

What about studying in the UK appeals to you? You mentioned "cultural diversity", but it's not clear what you meant.

This is an excellent point and something I (perhaps shamefully) hadn't explicitly thought of before. Not insurmountable, but would certainly require some additional training/mentoring.

I would add: there are many "old" psychologists who got licensed at a time when the rules were not so developed. It's dangerous to attempt to mimic their career path because things have drastically changed and will continue to do so.

For example, at least some of the old guard started grad achoool before the Houston conference guidelines were made. Kinda changed things. I know one older psychologist who graduated from an excellent program before apa accreditation was a thing, and has had some minor career annoyances in explaining her program was not apa approved because that didn't come out until later. When the internship changes are applied in the next few years, things will get even harder.

I will stick up for op a bit: when I was applying to grad school the first time around, the internet was not very developed. One had to buy that stupid apa book, and then request a paper application from programs. Because I didn't understand how things worked, foreign grad school looked faster and cheaper. Between moving to Europe or Washing DC, Europe seemed nicer. Glad I figured it out.

Last edited:
image.gif

Reactions: 1 users