PNWU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I was about to call in regarding why I hadn't received an invite for their secondary but on their website it says they were having some trouble with the online version but you can print it off and mail it in. Since then I received an email invite for their secondary but I havn't checked to see if their online version is up. Just not real sure about the $175 fee :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it take to get a secondary?? It's been forever.

I got my secondary September 5, but I had already sent one in at that point. I called and they said that was fine by them.

I got my secondary on 9/5, and my primary was sent to them on 8/6. Keep holding in there!

dont know which thread to post on anymore, but just got an interview invite!!!! woop woop!!! so stoked!! ;)

Post on the one with the greater number of replies.

Is anyone here for the PNWU-COM Class of 2013? The 2007-2008 thread seems more active...

Last edited:
I think the $175 fee turned a lot of people off (who didn't have a specific interest to attend the program, but were just applying to a number of schools). The application fee was the reason I didn't submit my secondary there yet either.

Hopefully, this may decrease the applicant pool, and thus be helpful to those of you who live in the Washington state area and really want to go to school there.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea...until they applied for TOUROCOM and have to pay that 200 dollar fee.

I don't know why the secondary fee was so high, but i sent them my money anyways.

Any idea how long the wait for an interview invite is? My application has been complete for almost a month now, with not a peep from PNWU.

most seem to get an interview decision pretty quick, did you confirm that your file was complete?

haha, yeah, I'm here rocking out!!!!!!! WAHOOOO!!!!

I'm here too! I'm about 90% sure that this is where I'm going. I only applied to one other school, but haven't heard anything from them yet (they are notoriously slow). I am going to send my $1000 NONREFUNDABLE fee in this week.....ouch!

I'm here too! I'm about 90% sure that this is where I'm going. I only applied to one other school, but haven't heard anything from them yet (they are notoriously slow). I am going to send my $1000 NONREFUNDABLE fee in this week.....ouch!

ditto - but 1000$ for peace of mind at a school I like, well, I'll take it! (not like I didn't spend enough money on apps to buy a car or something this season anyway...)

ditto - but 1000$ for peace of mind at a school I like, well, I'll take it! (not like I didn't spend enough money on apps to buy a car or something this season anyway...)

I took a risk and only applied to two schools this year. I guess I got lucky!:D

I don't know why the secondary fee was so high, but i sent them my money anyways.

Any idea how long the wait for an interview invite is? My application has been complete for almost a month now, with not a peep from PNWU.

I think it must depend on when you go complete. Some I've heard got it really fast, some (like myself), more like 5 or 6 weeks. My guess is they interview a group, figure out how many acceptances will be offered, and then after that start inviting for interviews again. Last year they had a problem. They offered way too many spots and every took the offer. They were banking on people not taking the offer, so they deferred 20 something until this year, hence the reason there are only ~55 slots in this next class. (This is information straight from LeAnn, BTW).

I interviewed on Friday. It's a nice school. I don't know how I did on the interview... it was a little odd to go through a standardized interview like that, but they're trying to make it as fair as possible, so I can see why they did it. I suspect it makes the interview not as helpful to marginal candidates because it's harder to guide the interviewers toward your strong suits--you have to do it yourself, you can't count on helpful follow-up questions--but pretty much everything is there on the interview feedback. Do your research and you'll be ahead of the game. Incidentally, the assistant dean who pushed the standardized interview mentioned that some of us "probably already know what the questions are," but that he didn't see it as a problem.

And about the computers, yes, you're getting a Dell. However, they pre-load onto it all the software you'll need as well as electronic copies of most of the textbooks. They maintain all your software licenses while you're in school, so you don't have to worry about that. If it crashes and dies while you're in school, they'll replace it for you. They also said that it's considered school property while you are in school, which to me implied that it's yours upon graduation.

I know PNWU prefers students from the northwest US, but what are their residency requirements? Since they, unlike most schools with an in-state or regional preference, are private, I thought maybe they'd set their own residency requirements. If I go to undergrad in the NW but am a resident of another area, how will that reflect on me from their perspective?

I know PNWU prefers students from the northwest US, but what are their residency requirements? Since they, unlike most schools with an in-state or regional preference, are private, I thought maybe they'd set their own residency requirements. If I go to undergrad in the NW but am a resident of another area, how will that reflect on me from their perspective?

Where you live doesn't actually matter. I've NEVER lived in the NW, but was considered a 'resident' because my wife's family (and now some of my immediate family) live in the area. They don't care if you're from the area if you can show that there's a good chance you'll stay in the are (i.e. ties to the area like family, you grew up there, etc.). So having moved out of state for undergrad/grad won't hurt you bit.

I interviewed on Friday. It's a nice school. I don't know how I did on the interview... it was a little odd to go through a standardized interview like that, but they're trying to make it as fair as possible, so I can see why they did it. I suspect it makes the interview not as helpful to marginal candidates because it's harder to guide the interviewers toward your strong suits--you have to do it yourself, you can't count on helpful follow-up questions--but pretty much everything is there on the interview feedback. Do your research and you'll be ahead of the game. Incidentally, the assistant dean who pushed the standardized interview mentioned that some of us "probably already know what the questions are," but that he didn't see it as a problem.

And about the computers, yes, you're getting a Dell. However, they pre-load onto it all the software you'll need as well as electronic copies of most of the textbooks. They maintain all your software licenses while you're in school, so you don't have to worry about that. If it crashes and dies while you're in school, they'll replace it for you. They also said that it's considered school property while you are in school, which to me implied that it's yours upon graduation.

SOOOOOO.... maybe getting a call today? You think you'd go if you got in?

SOOOOOO.... maybe getting a call today? You think you'd go if you got in?

No call so far today, but you never know. If I got accepted... boy, I don't know. I'm accepted at LECOM-B, I think I'd do well with PBL, and I think I could sell Florida to my family a little easier than Yakima. That said, from the info they gave me, at PNWU I'd be in one place for the last 2 years, unlike Florida, and possibly could stick around Yakima all 4 years, which would be great, family-wise. And the weather doesn't scare me off, in case you're wondering. It would be a step up from ND winters!

It'll really come down to my state school. Hard to turn down that in-state tuition, and the lack of moving costs, even if I'm not its biggest fan. LECOM-B is next cheapest for tuition, then DMU, then PNWU. Oddly, though, PNWU and LECOM budget similar amounts despite an $8k difference in tuition. Maybe it's the solid gold, diamond-encrusted reflex hammer you have to buy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe it's the solid gold, diamond-encrusted reflex hammer you have to buy. :rolleyes:

Sounds swanky, definitely a factor in my decision...I think some of the ivy league schools provide these.

Anyways, if you wanted to cheat you can look at your online status on that page they set up for you. Thats how I found out at PNWU. "offer" means accepted.

No call so far today, but you never know. If I got accepted... boy, I don't know. I'm accepted at LECOM-B, I think I'd do well with PBL, and I think I could sell Florida to my family a little easier than Yakima. That said, from the info they gave me, at PNWU I'd be in one place for the last 2 years, unlike Florida, and possibly could stick around Yakima all 4 years, which would be great, family-wise. And the weather doesn't scare me off, in case you're wondering. It would be a step up from ND winters!

It'll really come down to my state school. Hard to turn down that in-state tuition, and the lack of moving costs, even if I'm not its biggest fan. LECOM-B is next cheapest for tuition, then DMU, then PNWU. Oddly, though, PNWU and LECOM budget similar amounts despite an $8k difference in tuition. Maybe it's the solid gold, diamond-encrusted reflex hammer you have to buy. :rolleyes:

Books and computer are included in tuition cost at PNWU.

Sounds swanky, definitely a factor in my decision...I think some of the ivy league schools provide these.

Anyways, if you wanted to cheat you can look at your online status on that page they set up for you. Thats how I found out at PNWU. "offer" means accepted.

Couldn't resist checking. Looks like I'm waitlisted or rejected then, b/c there's nothing new on there.

That's ok, though, since I'm waffling on whether I'd go; it would be better to accept someone who's certain to go.

And thanks stonewall... I remembered that the computer was included, forgot they gave you copies of all your books, too. Nice of them to do that, I have to say!

Couldn't resist checking. Looks like I'm waitlisted or rejected then, b/c there's nothing new on there.

That's ok, though, since I'm waffling on whether I'd go; it would be better to accept someone who's certain to go.

And thanks stonewall... I remembered that the computer was included, forgot they gave you copies of all your books, too. Nice of them to do that, I have to say!

ehh, if nothing has changed on your status i dont think its been updated yet. don't count yourself out, the waitlist and rejection statuses were pretty clear too. shoot, i should have let you wait to hear from them!!

BTW the only thing that changes is the tiny 'status' text, its nothing dramatic

I interviewed on Friday.

My Self-Service login thinger still says Complete / 11/6/2008 under Status and Interview / 11/6/2008 under Decision.

No phone call either. Waiting sucks.

I interviewed on Friday.

My Self-Service login thinger still says Complete / 11/6/2008 under Status and Interview / 11/6/2008 under Decision.

No phone call either. Waiting sucks.

yep. where it says "Interview" right now will change at some point. good luck all!

And about the computers, yes, you're getting a Dell.

I think I would rather pay for the computer outright than get a Dell and have to contend with Vista... In all honesty, I would rather go through the trouble of dealing with a distribution of Linux than having Vista on a computer that is even remotely my own! That may be a bit harsh, but oh well.

Where you live doesn't actually matter. I've NEVER lived in the NW, but was considered a 'resident' because my wife's family (and now some of my immediate family) live in the area. They don't care if you're from the area if you can show that there's a good chance you'll stay in the are (i.e. ties to the area like family, you grew up there, etc.). So having moved out of state for undergrad/grad won't hurt you bit.

Thanks! That's good to know. You might have gotten my point wrong though...I meant I am from a non- pacific northwest state (CA) but I go to school in the northwest, not the other way around. Either way, I like it here, might stay here, so it probably applies either way.

BTW the only thing that changes is the tiny 'status' text, its nothing dramatic

It changed to "Deny" in my case, so PNWU is a no-go for me. *sigh* It's disappointing... but like I say, they're probably better off offering the place to someone else.

I also probably should have mentioned in the interview that I have family in Washington... hard to remember to shoehorn that into the scripted questions. Oh well. Best of luck to everyone!

DoktorB, are you going to DMU or PNWU?

I just picked DMU today, PNWU was great too I was very impressed. It would have been hard to pick it over such an established program though...I plan on returning to the Pacific Northwest someday though, its my home :oops:

I'll echo that congrats DoktorB...

I'm fairly jealous of your multiple acceptances...your hard work has truly paid off

Enjoy IA :thumbup:

Has anybody heard of any "offers" from Friday's interviews (12/5)?

Just wondering...

What is the turnaround time supposed to be, after interviews?

I think they should tell you at the interview, but the 3 days seems standard unless they can't get their adcom to meet until later (maybe things have changed later in the cycle though, so who knows!)

I'm curious if anyone else in the forum is/was on the wait list at all for PNWU for this coming school year? Does anyone know if the school has started offering seats from this list yet or how many seats are left? I could always call and ask the school directly, but I'm curious as to what other folks have heard.

I'm curious if anyone else in the forum is/was on the wait list at all for PNWU for this coming school year? Does anyone know if the school has started offering seats from this list yet or how many seats are left? I could always call and ask the school directly, but I'm curious as to what other folks have heard.

OK - they have 2000+ applicants at this point, but I don't know of the breakdown as to how many of those are complete with the primary or secondary (the secondary fee scares a lot of people away I believe, haha).

I have heard TWO different numbers for the number of "roll over" students from last year (at first it was 25, but now it seems more like 12ish, which makes more sense!). I think they have around 30 deposited already, which leaves 45 seats open. I'd say this is fairly promising to those on the waitlist, and the school does not seem afraid to give an outright rejections compared to some schools that will just waitlist everyone, so I would say there is some hope in that. I'd be surprised if there is a huge flux of highly qualified candidates in the next three months compared to what they must already have recieved (I mean, if you are waiting to turn your primary in until December, have you really researched what it takes to get into med school fully??? You should have been done in July and it probably shows in the rest of their app).

Did anyone else on here interview on Jan. 9??? I'm just wondering if anyone else I talked to that day got in too....

I think this is where I want to go...guess I have to decide soon!

Hi all, am curious if anyone else has heard about number of seats still open at PNWU. I heard the school would start looking at their wait list in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.