PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quynhhuong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when PNWU-COM starts interviewing and which day of the week?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got this from the school's website:

"We anticipate using an on-line supplemental application for the 2009-10 application cycle. The on-line application should be available by mid-August."
-http://www.pnwu.org/default.aspx?pg=4bc864f9-c691-4cad-9eb2-fd040152c953

That being said, I'm not quite sure when they will start interviewing, hopefully early-mid Septemberish. As for day of the week mine was on a Friday last year, but it was at the end of the cycle and maybe earlier on they have it during multiple days of the week. If you really wanted I'm sure you could both go look into last years thread and see what dates people were interviewing and see if they interviewed last year on one day of the week, or it was was several times a week. Best of luck, and post when you get the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about the “newness” of PNWU? I am a little worried that students will get shafted in the clinical rotations and residency due to lack of reputation. I hear there is a great faculty, and that years 1 and 2 are pretty solid but I don’t know if that makes up for clinicals. Is PNWU anyone’s first choice? Why?

What do you guys think about the “newness” of PNWU? I am a little worried that students will get shafted in the clinical rotations and residency due to lack of reputation. I hear there is a great faculty, and that years 1 and 2 are pretty solid but I don’t know if that makes up for clinicals. Is PNWU anyone’s first choice? Why?

I think that's the risk you have to take when apply to a new school like PNWU. I like this school 'cause i've always been in the Northwest and would like to stay here forever. :D

Seems like not so many people apply for this school........Has anyone got the secondary for this school yet? Could you be kind n post the questions up for us? Thank you so much!

What do you guys think about the "newness" of PNWU? I am a little worried that students will get shafted in the clinical rotations and residency due to lack of reputation. I hear there is a great faculty, and that years 1 and 2 are pretty solid but I don't know if that makes up for clinicals. Is PNWU anyone's first choice? Why?

PNWU is a great school. I had the chance to interview there late last year and was waitlisted, but loved the school. If you are anywhere near the area you should try to setup a tour with them. I think the "newness" of the school is one thing I like the most about it to be honest, not to mention the great facilities and how their plan to teach the curriculum. I suggest going to their webpage (www.pnwu.org) and reading up on how they plan to run years 3 & 4 for those that are intersested .

Has anyone got the secondary for this school yet? Could you be kind n post the questions up for us? Thank you so much!

As for the secondary, on their webpage it says that it will be available sometime in mid-August. I know that as soon as I get their secondary I will be working on it to get it in ASAP. The essay prompts from last years secondary were:

Please write and ATTACH a one page-essay addressing the following questions:
1) What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a succesful osteopathic physician?
2) Which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?
3) What inspired you to specifically apply to PNWU?

I love that the word ATTACH is capitalized. So not to much of a curveball there. Pretty standard questions from all the others secondaries you'll receive. Just be sure to shine in the interview.

Does anyone know when PNWU-COM starts interviewing and which day of the week?

I emailed them recently and they said that they hope to start interviews in mid-October. Last year my interview was on a Friday, but that's no guarantee that they don't interview other days of the week. If you really want to know, I would suggest going through last years thread to find interview dates and just see what day of the week they happened to fall on.

Seems like not so many people apply for this school........

If you look on the homepage for PNWU you will see that they say for their first class they received 27 applications per seat, which is above the national average of 20 applications per seat. Guess what happened for their second class...it went up to 32 applications per seat. This is a great school and only has a class size of 75, that's much smaller than the class sizes of many other schools. Here's a quick profile for the class of 2013 that I found:

College of Osteopathic Medicine
Fast Facts for the Class of 2013
Class size: 75
Applicants per seat: 32
Students from the Northwest: 59
Average cumulative GPA: 3.44
Average science GPA: 3.36
Average age: 25.7
Married: 26
Number with children: 15
Source: http://www.yakima-herald.com/storie...cific-northwest-university-of-health-sciences

Best of luck to everyone. I'm hoping that this year I get accepted here. I can't say enough how much I liked the school. Let us know when you get a secondary so the rest of us can start worrying if we didn't receive it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the helpful info. I did go through past years' posts. Seems like they interview on Fridays, divided into 2 sections- morning and afternoon with 16 apps/ group. n they start calling people on Tues with results.
wow. so many pplz apply to this school and not so many care to checkout/comment this thread. interesting............

The secondary is also $175, I think this may deter more people from applying than at other schools. The students that apply at PNWU are most likely pretty sure about wanting to go to there.

I suggest going to their webpage (www.pnwu.org) and reading up on how they plan to run years 3 & 4 for those that are intersested .

Their website is precisely why I'm hesitant to even apply. The inability to field a fully functional website doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. Like the tabs on the side of the homepage that just say "students expand" or "news expand," yes, it's obvious someone needs to expand those sections and not inform the entire world about the fact that said section is lacking in information.

It's a shame really since I love that part of the country, but I mean I have to be really professional in the application process and put my best foot forward, so I sort of expect the same from the schools.

And I don't see anything on how they plan to run years 3 and 4 on the website, much less years 1 and 2. I mean come on, you can throw a rock about 5 feet in any direction in Washington and hit someone with web design experience.

http://www.pnwu.org/com.aspx
Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

Thanks, that's helpful...but, it still doesn't change the fact that I can't easily locate that information from the homepage, nor the fact that homepage looks like someone gave up half way through on it. I'm just mystified as to why they don't put more effort into their website and the fact that they don't do something that easy makes me uneasy about the school. And their website has been like that for at least 6 months or so--thus, newness isn't really an excuse any more.

I'm just mystified as to why they don't put more effort into their website ...

better they short on the website and not the curriculum :)

Seriously though if you ever get a chance to go to the school you will see the facilities are top notch. Don't judge a book by its cover... or in this case the School by their Website :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I'm a 1st year student at PNWU, and I don't even have the words to describe how AMAZING this school is. The faculty is so open and friendly and intelligent, and you can speak with them about anything! The students are a great mix of people. If you're worried about the newness of the school - don't be! They have such a great curriculum. It's only been 3 weeks, but it's been the 3 best weeks of my life. (sounds nerdy, eh?) I can't imagine being at another school.

Definitely take the opportunity to visit, and if you are so fortunate to interview, do it!

Their website is precisely why I'm hesitant to even apply. The inability to field a fully functional website doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. Like the tabs on the side of the homepage that just say "students expand" or "news expand," yes, it's obvious someone needs to expand those sections and not inform the entire world about the fact that said section is lacking in information.

It's a shame really since I love that part of the country, but I mean I have to be really professional in the application process and put my best foot forward, so I sort of expect the same from the schools.

And I don't see anything on how they plan to run years 3 and 4 on the website, much less years 1 and 2. I mean come on, you can throw a rock about 5 feet in any direction in Washington and hit someone with web design experience.

The reason it says "students expand" is because whatever browser you are using isn't compatible with the website. There is stuff there, your browser just isn't showing it.

As for rotations that someone else mentioned. They do have rotations set up and have a half dozen or so core rotation areas that will allow us to do all of our rotations in one area. As for residencies, they are being worked on and hopefully a few will be started by the time we finish.

Hey all, I'll be a part of the class of 2014. From what I can tell so far this is a great school and I really look forward to being a part of the coming class. I started a thread in the Osteopathic medical forum for the Class of 2014 so I hope it gets a used a little more. From the looks of it PNWU students are a little under represented on SDN... hope to change that :).

I really hoped the $175 secondary fee and the website simpleness would drive lots of pplz away so I have even a greater chance at this school. :smuggrin: jk so selfish of me.
I do think that PNWU is under-represented on SDN. Hopefully, by the end of this year, the 3rd yr students will share their experience with us.

Has anyone received 2nd from PNWU yet?
Could class of 13' please post ur last year's prompts up so we can start working on it? Thank you so much.

I really hoped the $175 secondary fee and the website simpleness would drive lots of pplz away so I have even a greater chance at this school. :smuggrin: jk so selfish of me.
I do think that PNWU is under-represented on SDN. Hopefully, by the end of this year, the 3rd yr students will share their experience with us.

Has anyone received 2nd from PNWU yet?
Could class of 13' please post ur last year's prompts up so we can start working on it? Thank you so much.

Last year's prompts were:

1) What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?
2) Which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?
3) What inspired you to apply specifically to PNWU?

Hey all, I'll be a part of the class of 2014. From what I can tell so far this is a great school and I really look forward to being a part of the coming class. I started a thread in the Osteopathic medical forum for the Class of 2014 so I hope it gets a used a little more. From the looks of it PNWU students are a little under represented on SDN... hope to change that :).

How do you know you are in already? Last I heard they have not even sent out secondaries, much less done interviews

I interviewed last fall and was offered a deferred acceptance in a round about way... I was part of the VCOM class of 2013, but an opportunity came up that would allow me to be part of the PNWU class of 2014 so I took it (about two weeks ago) in order to be back home. I should actually be in school currently, but I will be much happier staying close to family and it gives me an extra year to spend with my wife without being a crazy student. :)

For the secondary essay, did anyone go over 1 page? is 1 +1/2 okay? 'cause I feel that I can't leave anything out.
Would going over 1 page play on the unfavored side for me 'cause they might think that I don't know how to follow instruction or something.

any oostaters received secondaries yet from PNWU?

has anyone received the secondary yet? as i understood from 2 posts up they might be getting a jump start based on last years essay questions.

has anyone received the secondary yet? as i understood from 2 posts up they might be getting a jump start based on last years essay questions.

yep, i figure it'll be the same so I'll just start on it and fix a lil as soon as I get the secondary for this year. I don't think anyone has heard any news from PNWU. Has anyone tried calling the school yet?

The school is transitioning to an online secondary. As can be expected there have been some delays in the process. Their Admissions office said they are aiming to have it up this week, but that they are not making promises.

Just be patient and it will come :)

I am a first year student at PNWU. I would emphatically recommend future medical students consider this school among your top choices for your medical education. I remember being very anxious about starting school and making the "right" choices as to where to apply to and whom to consider--so hopefully my advice will help some of you.

-As stated above, the faculty are tremendously helpful, competent, and fully invested in you succeeding as a student and future physician.

-The curriculum is well planned for our success on boards and in practice; student input about curriculum is not only encouraged but listened to.

-The administration is VERY active in securing rotation and residency sites throughout the Northwest (with many affiliation contracts signed), giving a very diverse primary care experience.

-the student atmosphere is very welcoming and cooperative. 2nd year students are very willing to help you as a 1st year and there is a real infectious cohesiveness among all of us here at the University including staff, faculty, community, and students.

-Finally, this school is brand new. You get the unique opportunity to be part of the ground floor of a great program.

Anyway, I know there are prabably a lot of great choices for your education--but I would strongly encourage consideration of PNWU.

Choose a school you feel very comfortable with and gives you that "feeling" after the interview because the next 4 years are going to be tough and stressful.

Well if anyone cares, as a second year student PNWU has been a great school. The first year had its share of bumps but overall I really feel I learned a lot and having this new class here has shown us really how much we have learned in that year. I wouldn't give up going here for any other school and its not like PNWU was my only choice, I had 4 other schools that accepted me, but the faculty is great and the curriculum is strong. That and the rotations they have been setting up for us are genuinely tailored to make sure we get the strongest learning experience. I'm really excited for the next couple of years. (And of course I'm biased about this since I'm here now but at the same time nothing has occurred for me to be worried.)

got an email this am saying that i'll be receiving a secondary. as an oostater, does this mean im likely to get an interview once complete? or, is this an email that goes out to everyone? in short, do they screen for secondaries?

got an email this am saying that i'll be receiving a secondary. as an oostater, does this mean im likely to get an interview once complete? or, is this an email that goes out to everyone? in short, do they screen for secondaries?

when was your primary confirmed/released and what not by aacomas? congrats. i hope hear from them soon, i got waitlisted last year so here's to hoping.

I am an OOSer as well, and I just got it, but I do feel competitive for this school, with stats and ECs. I am from rural Wisconsin, have an MPH and a lot of experience with community health and community volunteering. So I am not sure if everyone gets it? But it was nice of them to give the secondary prompts so we can get a head start.

Good luck!

for those that have gotten the secondary, are the prompts the same as they were last year as previously posted? thanks in advance.

when was your primary confirmed/released and what not by aacomas? congrats. i hope hear from them soon, i got waitlisted last year so here's to hoping.

i was verified at the very end of july and released early august.

good luck in your applications this round.

I remember the process was pretty fast from when I got and finished the secondary to when the first set of interviews was given. I think my secondary was sent by the end of August and I was in the first set of interviews during the second weekend of October. Looks like they are about a week behind from last year, but the electronic secondary may speed up the process.

Keep us posted on interview invites!

thanks for the info. i was released on 6/24/09, so i really hope i get that email soon. are the questions the same? i was in the last group of interviews last year, and would love to be in the first group this year. good luck all. and let us know on those questions. crossing fingers now...

these are the questions listed in the email:

Please write a one-page essay addressing the following questions:

1) What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

3) What inspired you to apply specifically t
o PNWU?

Hey guys, I'm not applying til next year but does PNWU ask for proof of residency for anyone outside of WA? Specifically the other NW states, AK OR MT ID

Wow, I thought GWU was bad... $175 for processing a secondary seems pretty steep. Do they screen secondaries here?

Yea, I am wondering the same thing. I just got a secondary invitation. Does that mean I have been screened a bit more heavily relative to other schools?

Further, I already have 3 interviews lined up, and need all my money for flying and hotels. I am willing to pay the $175, but would like to know if they are serious in me because they have sent me a secondary.

Good luck all!:D

Just got the secondary email this morning. Now I've gotta dive back into essay writing. I don't know about everyone else, but at this point these secondaries are all sounding the same and I'm sick of writing them.

I got the secondary this morning, too. Soooo happy that I prepared the essay a week before 'cause by this time, all i have to do is hit submit.
The secondary is online. All u have to do is go thru the security thingy before it loads you to a very nice screen (in my opinion :)). Hit "apply" and it'll bring u to the secondary page.
Good luck to everyone! I hope I get an interview invitation soon. :scared:

Yea, I am wondering the same thing. I just got a secondary invitation. Does that mean I have been screened a bit more heavily relative to other schools?

Further, I already have 3 interviews lined up, and need all my money for flying and hotels. I am willing to pay the $175, but would like to know if they are serious in me because they have sent me a secondary.

Good luck all!:D

The delay in sending out your secondary was because of a recent switch from paper secondaries to internet ones. The admissions office needed to work out a few kinks before they started sending out secondaries to students. That said, I doubt that there has been any real screening as of yet. Most schools send secondaries to almost everyone that applies through aacomas, even if they are not appealing candidates. secondaries are a vehicle to make money. I figure a good rule of thumb is to not close any doors by waiting too long. I would bite the bullet and apply.

I just sent off my secondary, I was told the first interviews are mid October.

I just called to give them my credit card info, and they told me that by the time i'm complete, the earliest invitation I get is Oct 16 which is the 2nd batch of students. Who are in the first group already???

Woa, weird. I thought for sure that we are in the first batch.

For those of you who have received the secondary, can I confirm these are the questions? I am waiting to be verified and want to get the essay ready. Thanks!

o PNWU?

anybody on the east coast received a secondary from PNWU?

Can somebody tell me whether they screen for sending secondaries and if they do what the MCAT and GPA cutoffs are?

For those of you who have received the secondary, can I confirm these are the questions? I am waiting to be verified and want to get the essay ready. Thanks!

o PNWU?

Yes

Trying to fill out the app and I'm unsure about a couple things:

1.) I'm a little confused on how to upload the essay questions, I don't see where I'm able to upload them as an attachment to the application?

2.) There is a user name and password area on the application, but I have neither of these. Do I need to create them or should I skip even logging in before I submit?

Trying to fill out the app and I'm unsure about a couple things:

1.) I'm a little confused on how to upload the essay questions, I don't see where I'm able to upload them as an attachment to the application?

2.) There is a user name and password area on the application, but I have neither of these. Do I need to create them or should I skip even logging in before I submit?

1.) After you hit "submit application," the next screen gives you the option to upload files.

2.) You don't login, just submit your app, upload the essays, then either call w/ a cc # or mail them a check.