PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email today about the start of them building a brand new building! Should be done sometime within a year from now, which is exciting as the floor plan has a student lounge, another large classroom, some study space for students, and what looks like some planned area for prof's to use for research purposes!!! Sweet!

Do you mean labs for bench research?

Members don't see this ad.

Does PNWU offer any other programs than DO? The website sort of talks about them, but doesn't offer up much detail.

I was under the impression that they currently have some sort of a Master's in Biomedical Science program available with some agreement between PNWU and CWU. Also if I remember correctly I think that they are starting a PA program this year with 20'ish students starting in June. Maybe a current student can confirm this or correct me if I am wrong.

I was under the impression that they currently have some sort of a Master's in Biomedical Science program available with some agreement between PNWU and CWU. Also if I remember correctly I think that they are starting a PA program this year with 20'ish students starting in June. Maybe a current student can confirm this or correct me if I am wrong.
I was under that impression about the PA program too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are they going to stick all these people? In the janitor's closet? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but space certainly seemed limited when I visited the school.

On the upside, new students means a greater revenue stream that would hopefully go toward improving the "campus" for everyone.

Where are they going to stick all these people? In the janitor's closet? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but space certainly seemed limited when I visited the school.

On the upside, new students means a greater revenue stream that would hopefully go toward improving the "campus" for everyone.
The janitors closet was a pretty good size when i took my tour... probably fit about 10-15... I think 20 is pushing it though.

This isn't really a response to anything in particular, but with regard to their potential future PA program I'm glad the DO students are the only ones there at this point.

Before my interview at PNWU I was pretty set upon attending Midwestern and they seem to offer every degree under the sun for health professionals. For example, all the hubbub and new construction revolved around their new dental program. As an applicant, it seemed like all the attention had been diverted from the DO students and perhaps their tuition money, as well. At least that's what I took from the experience.

Anyway, with everything still so new at PNWU, I would be disappointed if they rushed into expanding their degree repertoire prematurely.

+1 When I was down at COMP Western, they had built this beautiful new lecture hall that holds 500 students, thus combining the DO, Podiatric Medicine, and Dental Students for years 1 and 2. Seems like it lacks the focus of smaller schools similar to PNWU.

The latest I have heard is the PA program will NOT be starting this next school year, and the majority of the Master's students' classes will be physically @ Central Wa U, with PNWU faculty. So, the current building and the up-and-coming new building will still pretty much be for the DO students during the day. After hours, there may still be some classroom usage by other groups and/or the Masters students on occasion.

Does the first class of PNWU find out where they matched this year? If so, do any of the current students know where their classmates matched?

PNWU has to wait for new programs( and that includes PAs) until they graduate the first class of DO's. Don't want to get too overextended.

Does the first class of PNWU find out where they matched this year? If so, do any of the current students know where their classmates matched?

First class is only in their second year..give them another 2 years to find out where they matched

Love the new website. Glad to see this school is taking shape and that funding seems to be appropriate. Looking forward to hearing about the rotation sites.

I noticed that on the website it states that PNWU-COM is geared more towards primary care. That doesn't mean that primary care will be the only option for a residency that you have after graduating does it?

I noticed that on the website it states that PNWU-COM is geared more towards primary care. That doesn't mean that primary care will be the only option for a residency that you have after graduating does it?

Nope.

Members don't see this ad :)

Check page 8. This topic was discussed at length.

All,

Just wanted to give a heads-up that decisions for those who interviewed on Monday have been posted to the Portal we've been using to track application status. I received a waitlist, unfortunately.

Best of luck!

All,

Just wanted to give a heads-up that decisions for those who interviewed on Monday have been posted to the Portal we've been using to track application status. I received a waitlist, unfortunately.

Best of luck!
Hey navyrick,

You sound surprised that you got waitlisted. They did tell us the class was full and that we were interviewing for the waitlist. At least you didn't get rejected, so there is some (although very little) hope that you might get ranked high on the waitlist and get an offer before school starts this year. I said very little hope because they said their waitlist does not move that much (not nearly as much as at other schools).

BTW I recently interviewed on the 22nd and I got rejected. Sucks but at least I found out quick though.

OMMDOC,

Don't get me wrong--I'm super-happy that I was waitlisted--I loved PNWU, and was particularly impressed with the atmosphere.

I guess I was hoping for one of the "two spots" Ms. Hunter had mentioned at the beginning of the day. Additionally, a staffer took me aside during the day and told me that the school had spots reserved for the military, and had not yet filled those.

So, I guess I just got my hopes up....

Who knows, maybe we're all at the top of the wait list?

Hey,
Does anyone know, on the PowerCampus self service, if it says reject interview does that mean a rejection from the school? I've had my interview and that is what is posted there but I don't know what it said previously as I hadn't checked it in a while.

Hey,
Does anyone know, on the PowerCampus self service, if it says reject interview does that mean a rejection from the school? I've had my interview and that is what is posted there but I don't know what it said previously as I hadn't checked it in a while.

That certainly doesn't sound promising. Why don't you give them a call. They're always very friendly.

I would assume that youre intuition is right. It would say offer if accepted... not sure about the waitlist though. I would call and make sure or wait a couple days for a letter.

I was just informed that I've been bumped up on the waitlist ranking to the top 15.

There is definitely a ranked wait-list. I was informed I was top 10 and offered a deferred acceptance next year (2011) if I don't make it off the wait-list this year.

I was not called- this was all done via email.

Hey everyone,
Just gave up my seat. Opting for in-state tuition ($14K) at my local MD program. Would have attended had it not been for the money. Best of luck to you all!

Wow!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5428323/COA%202010-11.pdf

From $32,500 to $44,650 in only three years. It will now take grad plus to cover just tuition. Thats an extra 3.5+ million that the school will be bringing in from tuition when all 300 are enrolled.

With an estimated COA of $69,356/10 months ... good thing Grad PLUS has no limits.

Last edited:
Wow!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5428323/COA%202010-11.pdf

From $32,500 to $44,650 in only three years. It will now take grad plus to cover just tuition. Thats an extra 3.5+ million that the school will be bringing in from tuition when all 300 are enrolled.

With an estimated COA of $69,356/10 months ... good thing Grad PLUS has no limits.

Good lord. It does seem a bit inflated, though. Yakima isn't that expensive.

Last edited:
Any of you 2012ers know what the Oregon rotation sites are looking like? Any of them South of Portland?

Curious if any inagural class students are monitoring this thread. I just read the new, news posting today and it says "Students were matched as closely as possible with their hometowns"...did the students have any say in this?

Probably the last place I want to do my clinicals is Blackfoot,ID, many of the other sites they mentioned looked much better to me.

Curious if any inagural class students are monitoring this thread. I just read the new, news posting today and it says "Students were matched as closely as possible with their hometowns"...did the students have any say in this?

Probably the last place I want to do my clinicals is Blackfoot,ID, many of the other sites they mentioned looked much better to me.

For Class 2012: 70 out 73 students got their first choice of rotation sites
That being said it will depending on your year and where your classmates want to go as well: for example:
You are originally from Blackfoot Idaho, using you as an example and you want to do your rotations in Fairbanks, well there are say 3 spots in Fairbanks and there are 3 other students who are from Fairbanks and want to go back to do their rotation there, then they would have priority over you NOT being from Fairbanks in getting to go back there but that does NOT mean that you will automatically be assigned to Blackfoot, there will be many other options of places to go to. Also the school might try and get another spot at the location (Fairbanks in this example) for you but this will also depend on the year and the sites ability
So you have options and a choice of clinical sites but locals are given preference.
Hope this helps, also by the time 2014 or 2015 class is out rotating there will defiantly be some additional sites and changes to the existing sites.

For Class 2012: 70 out 73 students got their first choice of rotation sites
That being said it will depending on your year and where your classmates want to go as well: for example:
You are originally from Blackfoot Idaho, using you as an example and you want to do your rotations in Fairbanks, well there are say 3 spots in Fairbanks and there are 3 other students who are from Fairbanks and want to go back to do their rotation there, then they would have priority over you NOT being from Fairbanks in getting to go back there but that does NOT mean that you will automatically be assigned to Blackfoot, there will be many other options of places to go to. Also the school might try and get another spot at the location (Fairbanks in this example) for you but this will also depend on the year and the sites ability
So you have options and a choice of clinical sites but locals are given preference.
Hope this helps, also by the time 2014 or 2015 class is out rotating there will defiantly be some additional sites and changes to the existing sites.

Great, thanks for this information. I also know things will change by the time I am beginning my clinicals but if there was a policy in place that MAKES us go back to our hometowns (blackfoot is actually fairly far from where I live but the "Idaho" tagline had me worried) there is a decent chance such a policy would exist 3 years from now.

I believe it is only fair that if people do want to go to their hometown they should get "first dibs". With that said it is good that the students do have a say and aren't forced into a site they don't want to be.

Has anyone from the waitlist heard any news? Any movement into the top 10/top 15? Anyone who has been accepted decide to go somewhere else recently?