PNWU vs. WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Low Flow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A previous thread on this topic only had one response. Hoping to foster a bit more discussion.

I'm lucky enough to be holding an acceptance at Pacific Northwest University and Western University in Lebanon. I've interviewed at the University of Washington and am waiting on a response from them, but I have an eerie feeling that I won't hear back from UW before a deposit is due at either school to hold my spot (Dec. 15th). My thoughts on each school so far:

WesternU:
-My first interview and acceptance (not sure if I have some sort of subconscious bias because of this)
-Seems like a better school in terms of infrastructure; it's been around longer since it's an extension of a long-standing program
-About 4 hours from home

PNWU:
-In my hometown of 18 years--all my family is there
-about 20k cheaper over 4 years, plus potential of living at home for first two years, which could amount to 20k+

Basically, what I'm wondering is how much "better" of a school is WesternU vs. PNWU? Living 4 hours away from home really wouldn't be the end of the world (I've been at college just as far for the past 4 years), but I would certainly enjoy being back in my home town. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not taking the seat at Western? Would note that I do see myself practicing in the Yakima valley as a physician. Not sure how much of a difference that makes on where I go to school.

I'm also wondering if Western might have more established rotation curriculum because it is a longer-standing program. Does anyone have any input on the quality of education/rotations at either school?

Your input is much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

As a PNWU grad, my thought is that medical school is what you make it. "Better" is irrelevant. They'll provide the tools and it's up to you to build with them.

Reactions: 1 user
As a PNWU grad, my thought is that medical school is what you make it. "Better" is irrelevant. They'll provide the tools and it's up to you to build with them.
Thanks for your reply! I've been leading towards that same idea as well. I'm fairly certain I will take the PNWU seat if UW doesn't work out, I just want to make sure I won't regret it later.

Members don't see this ad :)
A previous thread on this topic only had one response. Hoping to foster a bit more discussion.

I'm lucky enough to be holding an acceptance at Pacific Northwest University and Western University in Lebanon. I've interviewed at the University of Washington and am waiting on a response from them, but I have an eerie feeling that I won't hear back from UW before a deposit is due at either school to hold my spot (Dec. 15th). My thoughts on each school so far:

WesternU:
-My first interview and acceptance (not sure if I have some sort of subconscious bias because of this)
-Seems like a better school in terms of infrastructure; it's been around longer since it's an extension of a long-standing program
-About 4 hours from home

PNWU:
-In my hometown of 18 years--all my family is there
-about 20k cheaper over 4 years, plus potential of living at home for first two years, which could amount to 20k+

Basically, what I'm wondering is how much "better" of a school is WesternU vs. PNWU? Living 4 hours away from home really wouldn't be the end of the world (I've been at college just as far for the past 4 years), but I would certainly enjoy being back in my home town. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not taking the seat at Western? Would note that I do see myself practicing in the Yakima valley as a physician. Not sure how much of a difference that makes on where I go to school.

I'm also wondering if Western might have more established rotation curriculum because it is a longer-standing program. Does anyone have any input on the quality of education/rotations at either school?

Your input is much appreciated :)

I think PNWU has had some very successful matches the past few years. IMO saving that money and having that support system is quite awesome really. The less debt the better! (http://www.pnwu.edu/students/residency-information/residency-match/)

I think you'll be at an advantage going to PNWU especially with wanting to practice in the Yakima valley since you get to do rotations there and connect and collaborate with physicians in the area.

But I seriously hope you get accepted to UW. That's an amazing school and I'm absolutely jealous you got an ii there! Very best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
It seems like you would/could be a lot happier at PNWU. There's also been a lot of mumbles and grumbles lately from current Western students, whatever that's worth.

It seems like you would/could be a lot happier at PNWU. There's also been a lot of mumbles and grumbles lately from current Western students, whatever that's worth.
About rotations or about the program in general?

Congrats on the acceptances! I'm curious too. Hopefully I'll be in a similar situation; interviewing at PNWU, COMP-NW and UW over then next few months.

Both schools have great facilities and similar missions. PNWU gets nothing but praise and are building an excellent track record. On the other hand Lebanon overall seems like a nicer city Western and may offer a broader clinical rotation expirience. Having a local family and social support network is a big plus, potential $40k in savings (even more if you account for loan interest savings) is nothing to scoff at either. Right now I'm leaning PNWU.

you may recall sylvanthus's famous post regarding having a nurse preceptor for his surgery rotation.

But honestly, rotations at most DO schools will not be without issues, so this should not be a dealbreaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
you may recall sylvanthus's famous post regarding having a nurse preceptor for his surgery rotation--and how PNWU turned a blind eye to it.

But honestly, rotations at most DO schools will not be without issues, so this should not be a dealbreaker.
Congrats on the acceptances! I'm curious too. Hopefully I'll be in a similar situation; interviewing at PNWU, COMP-NW and UW over then next few months.

Both schools have great facilities and similar missions. PNWU gets nothing but praise and are building an excellent track record. On the other hand Lebanon overall seems like a nicer city Western and may offer a broader clinical rotation expirience. Having a local family and social support network is a big plus, potential $40k in savings (even more if you account for loan interest savings) is nothing to scoff at either. Right now I'm leaning PNWU.
I do recall that situation. I'm hoping that instance was just some growing pains in the school's beginnings.

I think I am leaning towards PNWU as of now (although I've come to this conclusion before and then changed my mind). I think the potential cost savings of 30-40k outweighs any slight benefit I might accrue at Western. I'm sure my future self will thank me later.

you may recall sylvanthus's famous post regarding having a nurse preceptor for his surgery rotation--and how PNWU turned a blind eye to it.

I do remember that, and I'm sure other issues (maybe not that bad) happen all the time. You hit the nail on the head. Hopefully PNWU has used the last few years to get their **** figured out, and hopefully Western isn't as bad as some on here make it seem.

Part of my suggestion comes from my personal opinion that SoCal is a trashcan.

I'm a western student and would pick PNWU based on tuition and the fact that family is near. I don't think WU offers anything realistically better. Nobody is impressed by where you got your osteopathic degree, and rotations at Western are not as good as some people make you believe.

I'm a western student and would pick PNWU based on tuition and the fact that family is near. I don't think WU offers anything realistically better. Nobody is impressed by where you got your osteopathic degree, and rotations at Western are not as good as some people make you believe.
Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know what people on the other side think. Plus, the deposit at PNWU is only $1000 and Western's is $2000... my wallet will thank me now ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that all the Western students are actually PNWU students and just want to put a better program down. Western>PNWU any day of the week. PNWU is the worst Osteopathic program in the country, I would rather go to the Caribbean than go there.

I think that all the Western students are actually PNWU students and just want to put a better program down. Western>PNWU any day of the week. PNWU is the worst Osteopathic program in the country, I would rather go to the Caribbean than go there.
elaborate please...

elaborate please...
-How many deans has the school gone through?
-Class size went from 75 to 150.....and the school doesn't have enough rotations for 150 students.
-3.36 science GPA (which drops bad grades even after a retake so reality is even lower than 3.36).
-Really annoying culture, where all the students pretend to believe that PNWU is the best school for them, as if they wouldn't have chosen UW over PNWU.
-annoying recruiter, who tries to act like PNWU is some super competitive place to get into.
-OMM professors who smoke too much pot, do too much yoga, and think that OMM will cure all patients of any disease.
Need I go on?

-Class size went from 75 to 150.....and the school doesn't have enough rotations for 150 students.
-3.36 science GPA (which drops bad grades even after a retake so reality is even lower than 3.36).
-Really annoying culture, where all the students pretend to believe that PNWU is the best school for them, as if they wouldn't have chosen UW over PNWU.
-annoying recruiter, who tries to act like PNWU is some super competitive place to get into
Need I go on?
:troll:

-annoying recruiter, who tries to act like PNWU is some super competitive place to get into.
-OMM professors who smoke too much pot, do too much yoga, and think that OMM will cure all patients of any disease.
Need I go on?
Yoda+jimmies.png

Last edited:
DoctorSynthesis, J Senpai, Roberie, and AlteredScale's thinking: wow this girl really knows PNWU's problems. But I can't bring myself to admit I went to a terrible school so I will just call her a troll, bitter, and a stars war character with a wedgie instead of engaging in an argument I know I will lose.

Do yourself a favor Hrdrock and go to Western. The only way you can get into a good residency program from PNWU is if you join the military or are lucky enough to get a decent D.O. residency on the East Coast. Westerns reputation in Cal will give you a great shot at some awesome residency programs there.

Do yourself a favor Hrdrock and go to Western. The only way you can get into a good residency program from PNWU is if you join the military or are lucky enough to get a decent D.O. residency on the East Coast. Westerns reputation in Cal will give you a great shot at some awesome residency programs there.
Only a few actual concerns you addressed. 1) the GPA is a 3.36. It is a new school, so I guess you can't expect much; the caliber of my peers also has no bearing on how well I'm able to perform, so I'm not really concerned about that. 2) the fact they've been through several deans thus far. Concerning, but not anything threatening to the education I wouldn't think. 3) the class size increase. I think this shows expansion and a general forward progression. They're also bringing some of WSU's first year pharmacy students to the campus in an effort to broaden the educational experience for all their students.

As far as the "culture" goes, I think that's just a personal experience (most likely a negative one) that you have had. I lived in Yakima for 18 years prior to college and its culture is no different than anywhere else (especially Oregon...).

I'm glad you brought up your opinion, because I do seriously need to consider where I'm going to put my deposit down and it is a tough choice. I'm just not convinced the difference between the PNWU and WesternU are worth the 30k/4 years I would save by attending PNWU, should it come to that.

Need I go on?
Funny enough, I've met that guy and know exactly what you mean

I got a similar vibe from the LECOM recruiter. The coolest recruiter I've met thus far was from RVU

I didn't. He came to my UG school to recruit, and I didn't even apply to pnwu

I was talking about our trolly friend here. You validated him. I don't even understand how a recruiter for the school making it seem competitive is a bad thing. Also considering it is actually competitive...

DoctorSynthesis, J Senpai, Roberie, and AlteredScale's thinking: wow this girl really knows PNWU's problems. But I can't bring myself to admit I went to a terrible school so I will just call her a troll, bitter, and a stars war character with a wedgie instead of engaging in an argument I know I will lose.

None of us go to PNWU lol

True dat. I got an II there actually! Withdrew it however. I'm sure troll will be happy with my decision.

I guess we are appeasing trolls now ha? I want to apply now and go out of spite.

Came back with some hard facts just to see that the troll got banned :/ ha. But I have my fact book from interview day at Western and their class GPA was slightly higher (3.6 oa) but actually had a lower MCAT average than PNWU's entering class. Kinda shows there's not too much of a difference in the caliber of student that attends either university.

I made the same decision 2 years ago when deciding schools and have been extremely happy with my choice to attend COMP-NW. I'm not sure if the cost has changed dramatically from 2 years ago but when I calculated it at the time, COMP-NW came out cheaper than PNWU. Proximity to home also played a huge factor for me (from Portland), but the biggest thing was the impression I got from the school. PNWU was my first acceptance and I know I would've been able to be happy there but my visit at WesternU blew me away and it felt like home. The curriculum was also a huge draw, most of the lectures (outside of Clinical Medicine and OMM) are not required and as they are streamed either to or from Pomona they're all available online later that day. watching lectures at my own pace and at 2 speed has saved my life. I also really enjoy the block/system schedule as opposed to PNWUs schedule with multiple tests in one week (advantage to that being you get weekends off). I also didn't like the idea of being in the first class of the expansion while hearing problems with some of their rotation sites. I'm not sure what the "grumblings" other students mentioned were, may be on the Pomona campus because most of my classmates are extremely happy here. Plus any problems we do have, our Dean actively works to change for us.
End of the day, both schools have their pluses and minuses and I think you'll be happy either way. I know I had to go with my heart on which I felt would be a better experience for me. If you felt like COMP-NW feeling great was a bias because it was your first interview, you could always stop by the campus for a day and even check out a lecture or 2 (something I also did when making my decision). I know it seems like a tough decision to make but either way, you're going to be a doctor so it's a great thing to have to make this decision! Best luck on your choice and hearing back from UW!

Reactions: 2 users
I made the same decision 2 years ago when deciding schools and have been extremely happy with my choice to attend COMP-NW. I'm not sure if the cost has changed dramatically from 2 years ago but when I calculated it at the time, COMP-NW came out cheaper than PNWU. Proximity to home also played a huge factor for me (from Portland), but the biggest thing was the impression I got from the school. PNWU was my first acceptance and I know I would've been able to be happy there but my visit at WesternU blew me away and it felt like home. The curriculum was also a huge draw, most of the lectures (outside of Clinical Medicine and OMM) are not required and as they are streamed either to or from Pomona they're all available online later that day. watching lectures at my own pace and at 2 speed has saved my life. I also really enjoy the block/system schedule as opposed to PNWUs schedule with multiple tests in one week (advantage to that being you get weekends off). I also didn't like the idea of being in the first class of the expansion while hearing problems with some of their rotation sites. I'm not sure what the "grumblings" other students mentioned were, may be on the Pomona campus because most of my classmates are extremely happy here. Plus any problems we do have, our Dean actively works to change for us.
End of the day, both schools have their pluses and minuses and I think you'll be happy either way. I know I had to go with my heart on which I felt would be a better experience for me. If you felt like COMP-NW feeling great was a bias because it was your first interview, you could always stop by the campus for a day and even check out a lecture or 2 (something I also did when making my decision). I know it seems like a tough decision to make but either way, you're going to be a doctor so it's a great thing to have to make this decision! Best luck on your choice and hearing back from UW!
Thanks for the reply! Your insight is greatly appreciated. Living expenses aside, tuition at PNWU is 49k/year and WesternU is 52.2k/year. This, coupled with the fact that I could potentially live at home my first and second year would add up to quite a bit of savings at PNWU. I really did have a much better experience when I visited WesternU, and I don't think it was entirely because it was my first interview. It was a great school and I'm having troubles letting it go. I really liked the idea of doing the ISAC program, the availability of research and fellowships, and the overall environment of the school. I'm just having troubles gauging whether or not those aspects outweigh the cost difference between the two schools.

I actually have an almost identical dilemma, I have an acceptance with Western and an interview coming up with PNWU. I have family I could live with at PNWU, but I really loved Western. Tough choices.

Is what the troll said true? Does PNWU lack enough rotation sites?

I actually have an almost identical dilemma, I have an acceptance with Western and an interview coming up with PNWU. I have family I could live with at PNWU, but I really loved Western. Tough choices.

Is what the troll said true? Does PNWU lack enough rotation sites?
They were correct that PNWU just doubled their class size, and for a school that has a history of shady rotation sites it's possible you might not get the best M3 experience

They were correct that PNWU just doubled their class size, and for a school that has a history of shady rotation sites it's possible you might not get the best M3 experience
but most DO schools, honestly, will have hit and miss rotations third year. This is just something one has to accept.

but most DO schools, honestly, will have hit and miss rotations third year. This is just something one has to accept.
I had a chat with a PNWU grad and this is exactly what they echoed. Although, it is my understanding (albeit, a naive one) that you can set up away rotations during your electives 4th year. Would you be able to find better rotations that are not necessarily associated with the school? Or do you have a list of elective rotation sites that all are associated with your school?

You're right. If I was looking for better rotation sites however, your chances are better at a more established school. Nowhere will be perfect, even at allopathic schools

Granted, I don't know the quality of PNWU, but WesternU-Lebanon is a horrendous ripoff. Such bad professors up there.

Granted, I don't know the quality of PNWU, but WesternU-Lebanon is a horrendous ripoff. Such bad professors up there.
Interesting. haven't heard this before. What makes them so bad?

what the... aren't they the same school?
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) is in Washington and Western University of Health Sciences-NW (COMP-NW) is in Oregon.

Considering we have the same faculty for didactic classes as the Pomona campus and pay the same amount I don't get how any of this is true. Our clinical and OMM faculty are the only ones different than the other COMP class and are pretty amazing.

Just wondering: how many separate medical colleges are there for UW? Is it one per state within WWAMI?
Yep, it's just one "site" per state. UW just places a select group of their students at the state's site, which is at another university: Idaho is at U of I and WSU, Washington is at WSU Spokane, Alaska is in Anchorage, etc.