PNWU vs. WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering we have the same faculty for didactic classes as the Pomona campus and pay the same amount I don't get how any of this is true. Our clinical and OMM faculty are the only ones different than the other COMP class and are pretty amazing.
As you mentioned, OMM/SL/IPE/ECM faculty are separate. Regular science is shared, and nearly every Lebanon professor is terrible. It really comes down to availability. I can walk into the door of the majority and decent faculty in every course, whereas in Oregon I'd have to deal with the OR faculty. I feel bad for Lebanon if they become their own school.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. haven't heard this before. What makes them so bad?
It's hard to explain in words. You'd have to sit through a lecture. You'd be amazed who the school hires.

Last edited:
As you mentioned, OMM/SL/IPE/ECM faculty are separate. Regular science is shared, and nearly every Lebanon professor is terrible. It really comes down to availability. I can walk into the door of the majority and decent faculty in every course, whereas in Oregon I'd have to deal with the OR faculty. I feel bad for Lebanon if they become their own school.
I'm going to throw out there that this is just your opinion and I'll share mine. There are professors on both campuses that are not great lecturers, something I've found to be true at almost every school. I've talked to friends at med schools across the country and all of them have professors that frustrate them and drive them insane. When attending office hours though I've received incredible help from the faculty here and been able to get a clearer idea of their lectures. Especially the vice chair of the anatomy department, who's knowledge in the lab is amazing and individual appointments in his office and lab were some of the best learning experiences I received in anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to throw out there that this is just your opinion and I'll share mine. There are professors on both campuses that are not great lecturers, something I've found to be true at almost every school. I've talked to friends at med schools across the country and all of them have professors that frustrate them and drive them insane. When attending office hours though I've received incredible help from the faculty here and been able to get a clearer idea of their lectures. Especially the vice chair of the anatomy department, who's knowledge in the lab is amazing and individual appointments in his office and lab were some of the best learning experiences I received in anatomy.
I don't doubt bad professors are in every medical school or campus, but Lebanon takes the cake. It's not just my opinion. If you were here, you'd see that at least 4/5 of the class hates him. Now this new dude in MCBM might get that title from him though.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like you would/could be a lot happier at PNWU. There's also been a lot of mumbles and grumbles lately from current Western students, whatever that's worth.

Whereabouts?

A previous thread on this topic only had one response. Hoping to foster a bit more discussion.

I'm lucky enough to be holding an acceptance at Pacific Northwest University and Western University in Lebanon. I've interviewed at the University of Washington and am waiting on a response from them, but I have an eerie feeling that I won't hear back from UW before a deposit is due at either school to hold my spot (Dec. 15th). My thoughts on each school so far:

WesternU:
-My first interview and acceptance (not sure if I have some sort of subconscious bias because of this)
-Seems like a better school in terms of infrastructure; it's been around longer since it's an extension of a long-standing program
-About 4 hours from home

PNWU:
-In my hometown of 18 years--all my family is there
-about 20k cheaper over 4 years, plus potential of living at home for first two years, which could amount to 20k+

Basically, what I'm wondering is how much "better" of a school is WesternU vs. PNWU? Living 4 hours away from home really wouldn't be the end of the world (I've been at college just as far for the past 4 years), but I would certainly enjoy being back in my home town. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not taking the seat at Western? Would note that I do see myself practicing in the Yakima valley as a physician. Not sure how much of a difference that makes on where I go to school.

I'm also wondering if Western might have more established rotation curriculum because it is a longer-standing program. Does anyone have any input on the quality of education/rotations at either school?

Your input is much appreciated :)

I was wondering what we're your stats??? Gpa and mcat?

Its 2016 and I want people's updated opinions between the two school. Preferably people that are going to both currently! I know things have changed since 2014 and I would love all he help I can get :)

Reactions: 1 users
Its 2016 and I want people's updated opinions between the two school. Preferably people that are going to both currently! I know things have changed since 2014 and I would love all he help I can get :)

I am curious as well, as these two are of high interest to me! I would love to hear the pros and cons current students experience. Thanks for digging this up!

Reactions: 2 users

I've just been accepted to both schools and would love updated opinions as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Any updated opinions on this? It is now 2020 and both programs have been able to grow. I would like to hear your thoughts !