Possibility of animosity towards religion/race?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimisticallypassingorgo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a female Muslim arab (though I am blonde/white and don't "look" it). When I have applied for jobs/positions in the past I try to not draw attention to my religion or race. My name is foreign, but you wouldn't be able to tell its an arab name. However, in my PS I have written about the influence my country (Syria) has had on my drive for medicine. I organized an awareness week at my school to inform people about what is going on/raise money. I also have worked at a private religious school since before high school as a TA and then part-time teacher.

I know this seems like a stupid question... but with everything going on right now I'm worried someone may look at my application with bias because of it. I know there are plenty of Muslim/Arab doctors, its just that my identity is a substantial part of my app, and I'm worried it may negatively impact it.

What do you all think? Anything I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school admissions committees are generally composed of individuals who are understanding and appreciative of the vast diversity that humanity has to offer with respect to race, religion, culture, beliefs, etc. There is no place for prejudice, not the least of which is a committee that shapes the landscape of our future physicians. As long as you convey with sincerity your passion for medicine and devotion to helping others, I see no reason why you wouldn't be considered a worthwhile candidate. First and foremost, it's illegal to discriminate based on an applicants religion. Having said that, I don't want to paint a naive picture of reality. People are inherently biased and have perceptions about races and religions. These same biases and perceptions will be present in your future patients. My recommendation is to keep this in mind as you right your essays and attend your interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Embrace it. Do not be ashamed of your religion

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone from the Middle East who didn't write about my home country or any of the many war experiences we have experienced, nor about my harrowing journey out of that hellhole, and yet got asked about my "country" of birth, which I'd left since I was 9 years old, don't do it. This person who interviewed me wanted to know why I left my country, why my parents wanted to leave, etc....as if it was wrong of us to leave. That was the whole interview. Nothing about me or my experiences. That interview didn't go well. I was WL. YMMV but the prejudice is certainly there.

EDIT: I don't look middle eastern either and my name does not sound Arabic either.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone from the Middle East who didn't write about my home country or any of the many war experiences we have experienced, nor about my harrowing journey out of that hellhole, and yet got asked about my "country" of birth, which I'd left since I was 9 years old, don't do it. This person who interviewed me wanted to know why I left my country, why my parents wanted to leave, etc....as if it was wrong of us to leave. That was the whole interview. Nothing about me or my experiences. That interview didn't go well. I was WL. YMMV but the prejudice is certainly there.

EDIT: I don't look middle eastern either and my name does not sound Arabic either.

You didn't write about it and yet the curiosity was there on the part of the interviewer to know your story. Perhaps if you had gotten the story out in the application, then the interviewer's curiosity would have been satisfied and you would have been able to talk about other things. I can't see how your experience suggests that the OP should not write about this if it fits with the story she wants to tell about what brought her to pursue a career in medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
My parents escaped that ****storm in the 90's before I was born, leaving behind family and friends. I always talk about how their struggles inspire me to make the most of the life I've been blessed with and about my desire to someday contribute towards MSF humanitarian missions back home. You shouldn't try to actively conceal who you are and where you come from. At best, it shows you're insecure and lack self-confidence. At worst, someone may wonder what else you're holding back on. That said, I do admit I exercise caution and often limit how much I reveal to certain people, but for the purposes of interviews I don't hesitate to bring it up if it's relevant or can help explain my guiding principles.

Healthcare is such a diverse and dynamic field. Your patients could be virtually anyone out there, and you would have to set aside personal feelings and care for them like anyone else. The adcom members understand this probably better than anyone else.

Reactions: 2 users
You didn't write about it and yet the curiosity was there on the part of the interviewer to know your story. Perhaps if you had gotten the story out in the application, then the interviewer's curiosity would have been satisfied and you would have been able to talk about other things. I can't see how your experience suggests that the OP should not write about this if it fits with the story she wants to tell about what brought her to pursue a career in medicine.

I didn't write about it because it had nothing to do with why I wanted to pursue medicine. Other interviewers were curious about my upbringing and I answered those questions. This interviewer was not curious, I believe. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable and ashamed. I should not be made ashamed because I was born in a foreign country.

This is my opinion. OP is asking for opinions. Take it or leave it.

My school has had hijab-wearing students, so it's no sweat here.

Take a deep breath, you'll be fine.

The only schools for which I think this will be an issue are Loma Linda and LUCOM.

I'm a female Muslim arab (though I am blonde/white and don't "look" it). When I have applied for jobs/positions in the past I try to not draw attention to my religion or race. My name is foreign, but you wouldn't be able to tell its an arab name. However, in my PS I have written about the influence my country (Syria) has had on my drive for medicine. I organized an awareness week at my school to inform people about what is going on/raise money. I also have worked at a private religious school since before high school as a TA and then part-time teacher.

I know this seems like a stupid question... but with everything going on right now I'm worried someone may look at my application with bias because of it. I know there are plenty of Muslim/Arab doctors, its just that my identity is a substantial part of my app, and I'm worried it may negatively impact it.

Reactions: 1 users

I do agree that certain people have heightened awareness for muslims right now and will show a greater possible prejudice.

But I do not think you should actively attempt to hide it in your application.

Write how medicine is for you and if being a muslim immigrant influenced that, include it, otherwise don't.

The M2 that lead my tour at Miami was born and raised in Iraq. Another woman I met at a second look (ie she was accepted) was a late 20's non-trad who had only recently move from Palestine to the US. One of my interviewers at USF was a devout muslim woman who grew and trained in Pakistan. One of the residents I work with was born and raised in the middle east and speaks with a thick accent, but that didn't stopped him from being an absolute superstar med student who won a ton of awards and grants.

Of course as with any minority there will be one or two people who act like giant, inexcusable D-bags, but as careers go medicine is probably one of the most accepting.

As long as you can speak intelligently and respectfully about your background and your path to medicine you should be fine/better than fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Tell your story. If it negatively influences adcom, that's somewhere you don't need to be. If they're in charge of who's accepted to the class then it's safe to say, you probably won't enjoy your classmates either lol.

Don't stress it. I can almost guarantee I have a more Muslim-esque than you lol. I had a considerable amount of religious volunteering that was brought up during some interviews. No one is going to discriminate against you because of your name. I'd worry more about your overall application than your name. If anything, with everything going on with Syria you'll be viewed as unique if your EC's support what you've said.

My favorite interviewer by far was a trump supporter, go figure. You'll be fine!

Two of the teaching hospitals in my geographical area were funded by muslims.... (specifically arab billionaires, and they have Arabic writing on the walls)
I have to say, what hasn't that guy funded? He is EVERYWHERE..

-----------
I'm not going to disclose who, or what to preserve my anonymity

There are probably some who'll have a negative opinion (especially nowadays), and some who won't care. I personally chose not to bring up my religion.

Just got back from a final, and am reading through replies. Thanks for all the advice and anecdotes. I don't think I'll change my PS, but I'm mindful that not everyone is as nice as sdn :)

omg everywhere is nicer than SDN

you'll be fine you'll bring "diversity" and schools are obsessed with that

I hope you applied broadly to less diverse areas

Reactions: 1 user
Medicine is probably the most accepting field you could ever enter with regard to race, ethnicity, and religion. We've got a girl in my class that wears a hijab every day and no one thinks anything of it, for instance. Medicine is a highly multicultural environment- I'd say about 10% of my class is arab Muslims.

You find there's almost always someone who can find reasons not to like other people. Best you can do is just be so good that the only way they can't like you is to find a stupid reason...all you can control is the quality of your app and your quality as a person