Air Force Post-AF Residency - follow-on assignment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrostellar

Eternal Pre-Med
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm currently AF enlisted considering HPSP, or at the very least, considering military residency (interested in OB/GYN atm). How does post-residency assignment work? Is there a dream sheet sort of system? Obviously it's ultimately up to AFPC, but is there a process of listing preferred bases w/openings in your residency? I searched around, but couldn't find any info newer than 2008.

(I only ask because I'm currently at Elmendorf and would seize any opportunity to come back ;) I know their clinic pretty well.)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I'm currently AF enlisted considering HPSP, or at the very least, considering military residency (interested in OB/GYN atm). How does post-residency assignment work? Is there a dream sheet sort of system? Obviously it's ultimately up to AFPC, but is there a process of listing preferred bases w/openings in your residency? I searched around, but couldn't find any info newer than 2008.

(I only ask because I'm currently at Elmendorf and would seize any opportunity to come back ;) I know their clinic pretty well.)

For my specialty, in your last year of residency you get a list of bases that won't need anyone, some that week def need folks (must fill) abnormal the other options. You send in your top 20 and one of the must fill had to be in your top 5.
Then the consultant for your specialty sends you somewhere. I'm fm, so a lot more people and more billet options.

For my specialty, in your last year of residency you get a list of bases that won't need anyone, some that week def need folks (must fill) abnormal the other options. You send in your top 20 and one of the must fill had to be in your top 5.
Then the consultant for your specialty sends you somewhere. I'm fm, so a lot more people and more billet options.

How long were/are you stationed at a base? Do you know is the air force currently stationing people somewhere for 4 years, or two 2 year billets?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long were/are you stationed at a base? Do you know is the air force currently stationing people somewhere for 4 years, or two 2 year billets?
It's a 2 year minimum unless it's an unaccompanied tour. Like a year in Turkey or korea. Max time depends. ..I know some people pushing 9 years on station as a physician.
If you're hpsp and just doing your 4 year payback, i would expect just one duty station.

It's a 2 year minimum unless it's an unaccompanied tour. Like a year in Turkey or korea. Max time depends. ..I know some people pushing 9 years on station as a physician.
If you're hpsp and just doing your 4 year payback, i would expect just one duty station.

Also, as far as I know, overseas accompanied tours (most of Europe, Alaska, Hawaii) are either 3 or 4 years.