This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekburger96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I currently finished up year 1 of my gap year and have been working as a medical scribe. I got out of senior year in a really bad personal situation, so thankfully this year has given me the chance to piece my life back together. Long story short,I initially decided to retake some classes at a community college to boost my GPA and to apply to osteopathic schools, but I changed my decision, and am now seeking post bac programs to start in the fall of 2017. Ideally, I would've liked to have started in the fall of 2016 but I believe the deadline has already passed for many post bac programs and I'd probably have to rush to get my materials in. I would love advice from the SDN community on whether I am going in the right direction...

my stats: 3.03 (overall), science major, in major GPA: 2.89, first generation college student, first generation AA, research experience and clinical experience, my gpa is crappy I know, I really wasn't motivated in college and didn't really focus on classes, had self esteem issues with my academic ability that my scribing job has helped me with tremendously

I complied a list so far of postbac/SMPs to apply to, but I wanted to know if anyone knows of any SMP/postbac programs that have linkages to medical schools. I found that most of these programs accept the GRE, so I plan to take soon.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok so first I applaud you for being sane enough to realize you should do retakes and apply DO (most people on here are like 2.5 ehh I'll get into MD.......no you won't......) as for you I'd say continue retaking the classes get As, add some shadowing and volunteering and rock the mcat between all of those things you figure within 2 years you should be set and being a URM your chances of acceptance will be substantially greater than an ORM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile