Post Bac- Need experienced/honest advice about undergrad situation- nontraditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloe1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll make this short and sweet, well at last try to...
Finishing up post bac ( only Orgo II/lab remaining) and taking MCAT class.
Maintained 4.0 with all pre-reqs, volunteered at hospital intermittently ranging from 3 hr/week to weeks without volunteering at all as I have to work etc. I graduated college 2009 and worked in finance for 4 years.

Here is my dilemma .....
High school I was somewhat rebellious and messed up my junior year so I could not attend college I wanted.
Went to community college freshman year maintained 4.0 ( I know this is not significant but be patient and see where I am going with this ) was able to transfer to UVM and studied abroad. Yet, as an out of state student (do not award merit based scholarships as a transfer) the cost was quite substantial. Taking on addition 80k+ in loans was not acceptable hence, I transferred to a SUNY school. Was paying for school myself and working and living expenses were high so I transferred to SUNY school closer to hometown where cost of living was cheap. P.S. I did a tremendous amount of volunteering and research in undergrad.

Bottom line: 3 college transfers (eeekkkk) ( cGPA:~ 3.87) - I will furnish 5 transcripts (gasp)
Post bac GPA:40

Fast forward to 2010- worked in prestigious investment bank for 4 years ( nice commitment example :) ) knew I wanted to be a doctor and finally quit my job to pursue a medical career. Old, wiser, and 1000% committed I know this is the right choice and I have the grades, real world experience blah blah BUT what the hell will they think of this undergrad situation? Is it so long ago that it doesn't matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll make this short and sweet, well at last try to...
Finishing up post bac ( only Orgo II/lab remaining) and taking MCAT class.
Maintained 4.0 with all pre-reqs, volunteered at hospital intermittently ranging from 3 hr/week to weeks without volunteering at all as I have to work etc. I graduated college 2009 and worked in finance for 4 years.

Here is my dilemma .....
High school I was somewhat rebellious and messed up my junior year so I could not attend college I wanted.
Went to community college freshman year maintained 4.0 ( I know this is not significant but be patient and see where I am going with this ) was able to transfer to UVM and studied abroad. Yet, as an out of state student (do not award merit based scholarships as a transfer) the cost was quite substantial. Taking on addition 80k+ in loans was not acceptable hence, I transferred to a SUNY school. Was paying for school myself and working and living expenses were high so I transferred to SUNY school closer to hometown where cost of living was cheap. P.S. I did a tremendous amount of volunteering and research in undergrad.

Bottom line: 3 college transfers (eeekkkk) ( cGPA:~ 3.87) - I will furnish 5 transcripts (gasp)
Post bac GPA:40

Fast forward to 2010- worked in prestigious investment bank for 4 years ( nice commitment example :) ) knew I wanted to be a doctor and finally quit my job to pursue a medical career. Old, wiser, and 1000% committed I know this is the right choice and I have the grades, real world experience blah blah BUT what the hell will they think of this undergrad situation? Is it so long ago that it doesn't matter?
Your GPA is fantastic and your lack of commitment was several years ago. You'll have to explain it, but I don't think it'll hold you back at all. This is coming from another nontrad with a much spottier academic record early on and a total of five undergraduate transcripts who got in during my first cycle!

Your GPA is fantastic and your lack of commitment was several years ago. You'll have to explain it, but I don't think it'll hold you back at all. This is coming from another nontrad with a much spottier academic record early on and a total of five undergraduate transcripts who got in during my first cycle!

Thanks so much for responding! What's your opinion regarding the amount of time volunteering/shadowing as a nontrad? I have some charities and volunteering here and there and will prob shadow a Dr. a little before application cycle but I am quite realistic in knowing that with work etc. there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Thanks so much for responding! What's your opinion regarding the amount of time volunteering/shadowing as a nontrad? I have some charities and volunteering here and there and will prob shadow a Dr. a little before application cycle but I am quite realistic in knowing that with work etc. there just aren't enough hours in the day.
Glad to help! You'd have to share more specifics about your ECs and how you've demonstrated that medicine is the right path for you.