This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDoc5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am trying to decide whether I should do a post-bacc, masters or just retake the MCAT.

Small state school - bachelors of science in biology, (went to a community college afterwards and took nearly 5 courses.....medical terminology, calculus 1 to name a few - all sciences were taken at my university)
BCPM approx - 3.45
Cgpa -3.6
very, very low MCAT due to taking it "just to see what it's like" (I went in with the intention of voiding my score, but changed my mind at the very last minute) -which I know now was very unwise.

Nearly 1500 hours as an E.R. scribe
1 year of research
40 hours of shadowing
35 hours of community service hours
Member of a few societies
URM
Disadvantaged background

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
very, very low MCAT due to taking it "just to see what it's like" (I went in with the intention of voiding my score, but changed my mind at the very last minute) -which I know now was very unwise.

Retake MCAT ! dont go other routes. absolutely not necessary (and loss of money and time). Use your resources on MCAT.

Can you please elaborate on this?

"very, very low MCAT due to taking it "just to see what it's like" (I went in with the intention of voiding my score, but changed my mind at the very last minute) -which I know now was very unwise."

I thought about doing the same, but knowing that you were going to void, what changed your mind ? Did you gain confidence during the test ? I was just wondering. You can PM if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course if your MCAT is "very, very low" it would only make sense to retake the MCAT. Nothing other than a retake is going to fix that problem. Especially since the rest of your application looks okay.

Reactions: 1 users
Retake MCAT ! dont go other routes. absolutely not necessary (and loss of money and time). Use your resources on MCAT.

Can you please elaborate on this?

"very, very low MCAT due to taking it "just to see what it's like" (I went in with the intention of voiding my score, but changed my mind at the very last minute) -which I know now was very unwise."

I thought about doing the same, but knowing that you were going to void, what changed your mind ? Did you gain confidence during the test ? I was just wondering. You can PM if you want.

I felt like the biology section wasn't that bad, which is the 3rd section on the MCAT... so I wanted to see how I did. I wouldn't consider my score in the bio section as good, but it was way higher than the other sections. But please don't do this, you'll finding yourself explaining your mess up to admission counselors on a regular basis..

Reactions: 1 user
I knew I would have to retake it eventually, was just wondering if I should do a post-bacc first. Thanks!
It could help if you're aiming for md and doesn't take time away from mcat studying. make sure the second mcat is your last and that it is no where near the teens

Reactions: 1 users