This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which option would be more favorable for vet school acceptance?

• Finish degree in Production/Management, then go back and do pre-vet reqs alone later

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Put everything on hold until I can move near campus to finish my degree with pre-vet reqs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FlutterbyFlyHi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you completed a degree, then gone back later to complete just the pre-vet requirements and been accepted to vet school? (Or done just the pre-vet reqs without a degree at all?) I'm over 2 hours from campus, so am currently an on-line student. Finishing my pre-vet reqs would necessitate a move, and with a husband, 3 young children, several pets, and a limited income, that's easier said than done. I can either finish my Bachelor's of Animal Science in Production/Management, and do pre-vet on its own at a later date when we can move, or I can essentially put my degree on hold until we are able to move, and then finish my degree as pre-vet. This is literally my last semester I can do online, either to finish my Bachelor's as-is, or to take the couple of pre-vet reqs available online. I've been really struggling with what to do, and would love some input from someone that's maybe already been there. (Obviously, ideally, we could move close enough to campus before Fall semester, but realistically, the finances aren't there, so I don't see that happening. So, I need to choose the option that's going to look the best when I apply to vet school.)

Members don't see this ad.

There are definitely tons of people around here who did either of your two options (finished a degree then came back for pre-reqs (I did this) or just did the pre-reqs with no degree (my vet school roomie did this)).
First, you may be able to complete some of your pre-reqs online as well, I'd look into that. Maybe not from the same school, and I'd definitely check at the vet schools you're looking to apply to that they'll count, but you might be able to knock a few out that way.
Second, saving money will be huge. Vet school is pricey as hell so taking additional loans or burning money on unnecessary undergrad classes (if vet school is truly 100% your only goal), would be a waste in my opinion. That being said, if it's going to be a few years before you can even consider applying to vet school, having a completed degree may help you get a better job for the interim.

Finally, only you and your family can decide the best option. From my perspective, I finished my BA in Biology (without the pre-reqs), spent a few years in "the real world", realized later I did want to go to vet school. So then I took night classes and online classes to finish up the pre-reqs (Physics, Stats, Biochem, etc). It was pricey though, luckily I was working at a University at the time so managed to get a discount on some of the classes. It is surprising what you can take for online classes though - I definitely took Physics I with a lab as an online class (they shipped a "lab kit" to my house that had springs and circuits and so much random fun stuff in it).

Good luck, and sorry for this ramble!

Reactions: 1 user
Have any of you completed a degree, then gone back later to complete just the pre-vet requirements and been accepted to vet school? (Or done just the pre-vet reqs without a degree at all?) I'm over 2 hours from campus, so am currently an on-line student. Finishing my pre-vet reqs would necessitate a move, and with a husband, 3 young children, several pets, and a limited income, that's easier said than done. I can either finish my Bachelor's of Animal Science in Production/Management, and do pre-vet on its own at a later date when we can move, or I can essentially put my degree on hold until we are able to move, and then finish my degree as pre-vet. This is literally my last semester I can do online, either to finish my Bachelor's as-is, or to take the couple of pre-vet reqs available online. I've been really struggling with what to do, and would love some input from someone that's maybe already been there. (Obviously, ideally, we could move close enough to campus before Fall semester, but realistically, the finances aren't there, so I don't see that happening. So, I need to choose the option that's going to look the best when I apply to vet school.)

You don't need a "pre-vet" degree or be a "pre-vet" major -- if you have the prerequisites, it doesn't matter what your major was (or even if you have a Bachelors). I got a B.A. over 10 years before I went back to school to upgrade my maths/sciences and fulfill the prerequisites for admission to vet school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a BA in film from 10 years ago and went back just to grab all the science prereqs I was missing. Just got into MSU vet for c/o 2022.

You don't need a "pre-vet" degree or be a "pre-vet" major -- if you have the prerequisites, it doesn't matter what your major was (or even if you have a Bachelors). I got a B.A. over 10 years before I went back to school to upgrade my maths/sciences and fulfill the prerequisites for admission to vet school.

I have a BA in film from 10 years ago and went back just to grab all the science prereqs I was missing. Just got into MSU vet for c/o 2022.
I’m a third in this. I got a BS 15 years ago, went back last year to finish prereqs and am starting my second term of vet school. It’s doable, especially if you only apply to schools that take your old classes. Oregon State didn’t care that my ochem was over 10 years old.

Reactions: 1 users