Preempting the inevitible rankings thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know he was referring to Baylor Hospital in Dallas. Again, Baylor in Dallas has no affiliation with UTSW internal medicine. Our medicine residents/faculty don't work there. There medicine residents/faculty don't work at UTSW. We used to send some med students there but that has stopped. I can't speak for any other residency programs at UTSW.

I must have misunderstood because the email I received from the chief resident for an interview invite at BUMC stated that they were affiliated with UTSW and did not want to be mistaken for any affiliation with BMC Houston. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

I must have misunderstood because the email I received from the chief resident for an interview invite at BUMC stated that they were affiliated with UTSW and did not want to be mistaken for any affiliation with BMC Houston. Sorry!

I think he may be referring then to the medical students rotating over there if that is the case but like I said that is no longer the case. I actually interviewed at Baylor Dallas and I didn't remember them really mentioning UTSW so I would definitely try to clarify as to avoid being mislead if you end up going to the interview.

I think he may be referring then to the medical students rotating over there if that is the case but like I said that is no longer the case. I actually interviewed at Baylor Dallas and I didn't remember them really mentioning UTSW so I would definitely try to clarify as to avoid being mislead if you end up going to the interview.

This is what was in the email. I am no longer interviewing there. I guess I misunderstood the email then. Thanks for the heads up, though.

We are the Baylor University Medical Center (BUMC) and are located in Dallas. BUMC is a large (about 1000 beds) not-for profit medical center associated with the Baylor Health Care System. We are an academic affiliate of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. We
have no current affiliation or tie to the Baylor Medical School in Houston,
which is located about 280 miles from Dallas. Baylor Medical School was
originally located here in Dallas on our campus and we were Baylor Medical
School’s teaching hospital for about 45 years, but the medical school moved to Houston in the mid 1940’s and over the years, we separated our relationships.

Members don't see this ad :)
UT Southwestern medical school formerly had an association with Baylor University Medical Center (BUMC, aka Baylor Dallas, which is not to be confused with Baylor College of Medicine, aka BCM, which is located in Houston). About half of 3rd year medical students at UT Southwestern spent a month of their IM rotation at BUMC. This officially ended July 2011. The residency programs were never affiliated. BUMC now hosts medical students from Texas A&M. While I am not aware of the official reason for why the relationship ended, among students there was strong criticism of the value of the private hospital experience in the 3rd year medical education. Furthermore, because of expanding capacity at Parkland and the VA, Southwestern is now able to accommodate all it's 3rd year students at its affiliated hospitals.

My personal experience at BUMC was positive. The PD, Dr. Emmett, is passionate about medical education for both students and residents. There are plenty of conferences from competent faculty. I got the impression there was a lot of research going on; BUMC publishes it's own quarterly journal "Proceedings of the Baylor University Medical Center." I had a manageable patient load which allowed me to focus on studying for the shelf exam. The patients I had tended to be more subtle presentations than I had seen at Parkland, where disease presentations tend to be of the fulminant variety with multiple comorbidities. Another good experience was that residents and students are on "code call" while on call and respond to codes for the entire hospital. This gives medical students and interns early experience with ACLS algorithms. The patients at BUMC were very appreciative of having medical students and residents. The patients also tended to be more proactive in learning about their disease and participating in their own treatment. Also, the tempurpedic mattresses were great for on call and the food is now a legend among students at Southwestern.

All-in-all, BUMC is a private community hospital with the feel of a large academic program.

Last edited:
Calling yourself "Baylor University Medical Center " always seemed more than a little disingenuous to me.

Were the Baylor medicine and surgery programs actually located in Dallas at one point?

Interested in primary care versus Heme/Onc. I like mountains, hippies and warm weather but would consider any/all of these bonuses (won't let them seriously effect my rank list)

Wisconsin - Madison
Arizona
Mayo - Scottsdale
Utah
Minnesota
New Mexico
Baylor (Houston)
UT - San Antonio
Ohio State
Providence Portland
Banner Good Sam - Phoenix
UN - Las Vegas
Iowa

Interested in primary care versus Heme/Onc. I like mountains, hippies and warm weather but would consider any/all of these bonuses (won't let them seriously effect my rank list)

Wisconsin - Madison
Arizona
Mayo - Scottsdale
Utah
Minnesota
New Mexico
Baylor (Houston)
UT - San Antonio
Ohio State
Providence Portland
Banner Good Sam - Phoenix
UN - Las Vegas
Iowa

I would go like this:

Wisconsin
Baylor
OSU
Iowa
Minnesota
Utah
Rest I don't know much about!

DVN you think Wisconsin > Baylor? I have my interview at Wisconsin soon! Looking forward to it!

DVN you think Wisconsin > Baylor? I have my interview at Wisconsin soon! Looking forward to it!

I have both my interviews next month. But from my research and talking to past applicants, IMO Wisconsin>Baylor.

Wisconsin seems to emphasize teaching more and from what I hear in terms of malignancy, Baylor works their residents quite hard in comparison to Wisconsin. The fellowship match lists are pretty similar with different geographical biases. Baylor has the TMC and Wisconsin has the luxury of being in a cool small city.

I have a strong feeling that Wisconsin will end up being my number 1 rank due to the strength of the program and proximity to Chicago.

BTW-I am interested in H/O. While Baylor is not affiliated with MDACC they match pretty well with them. Wisconsin seems to be a great H/O program though.

gotchya...thanks both of you! I hear great things about the PD at Wisconsin, the teaching and of course the city of Madison. I've never been, so I am really excited to check it out

Members don't see this ad :)
My turn :rolleyes:

Wisconsin or Mayo-Rochester? While the Mayo name is bigger, I have a feeling that Wisconsin might be a better place to train (for me at least).

Colorado > Wisconsin?

Tough call. Roughly equal overall with CU having some advantages (if you want to do Pulm and don't try to go here, Pitt or UWash you are an idiot) with Wisco having advantages in others (one of the 3 or 4 greatest PDs in the history of residency training).

I think location-wise they're roughly equal, really big mountains vs. hills and water. Good sized city with lots going on vs. college town with quick shots to Chicago and Milwaukee.

My own personal vibe was in favor of UW though. I didn't like how spread out the CU program was (5 different hospitals all over town) which I think leads to decreased camaraderie. UW is basically all on one campus (VA is on campus) with a few rotations done at a community shop across town.

Wisconsin or Mayo-Rochester? While the Mayo name is bigger, I have a feeling that Wisconsin might be a better place to train (for me at least).

You're gonna have to check them out and decide for yourself. It's hard to argue with Mayo (but easy to argue with Crochester) but Madison's got a lot going for it.

Mayo was really impressive in person, for what it's worth.

Tough call. Roughly equal overall with CU having some advantages (if you want to do Pulm and don't try to go here, Pitt or UWash you are an idiot) with Wisco having advantages in others (one of the 3 or 4 greatest PDs in the history of residency training).

I think location-wise they're roughly equal, really big mountains vs. hills and water. Good sized city with lots going on vs. college town with quick shots to Chicago and Milwaukee.

My own personal vibe was in favor of UW though. I didn't like how spread out the CU program was (5 different hospitals all over town) which I think leads to decreased camaraderie. UW is basically all on one campus (VA is on campus) with a few rotations done at a community shop across town.

Honestly, I've never been that impressed with Colorado (and no it's not because they didn't invite me to interview!! :laugh:) - I still like Wisconsin better as well.

While Colorado has the best Pulmonary (not critical care) in the country with National Jewish in town, as a resident, your access isn't that much, and they only take the best research interested people into their program, no questions asked, no colorado loyalty. Denver is a city I love, but I don't think it's enough for me to have ever really wanted to train there or recommend it super-highly above other places.

The place, the instituion, the Clinic ARE very impressive. Did you pay much attention to St. Mary's? Because you'll be doing most of the heavy lifting over there. Meh.

I come from a school with fairly dumpy facilities, so working in an old hospital doesn't bother me. That said, because it's Rochester, I have a hard time thinking that the wife and I will end up there. If you really don't care about having a big city, it seemed like a great place to be (of course, I've only been to a few programs so far).

I come from a school with fairly dumpy facilities, so working in an old hospital doesn't bother me. That said, because it's Rochester, I have a hard time thinking that the wife and I will end up there. If you really don't care about having a big city, it seemed like a great place to be (of course, I've only been to a few programs so far).

The wife/family situation make ranking and interviewing a much more daunting task. I wish my wife could come with me to most of my interviews. I'm not sure how you guys are making a decision, but she is coming with me to my pre-interview top 5. I know she will hate the cold of Rochester, but probably wouldn't mind the smaller city vibe.

I don't think Rochester is that big of a deal, nor "dumpy facilities". My issue is with:

1.) Essentially one demographic of patient (sick white people [who can pay, when at the clinic proper])
2.) Questionable amount of accuity - you'll see some, but are you seeing enough?
3.) Much less autonomy than other places
4.) Sub-specialties very fellow driven

Weird cases (who can pay) go to Rochester, but SICK patients go to the Cities.

The wife/family situation make ranking and interviewing a much more daunting task. I wish my wife could come with me to most of my interviews. I'm not sure how you guys are making a decision, but she is coming with me to my pre-interview top 5. I know she will hate the cold of Rochester, but probably wouldn't mind the smaller city vibe.

You're trying to stay married. How cute. :smuggrin:

Fellowship at Mayo, residency somewhere else.

Gotta put a plug in for Minnesota here. The Heme/Onc department does more BMT than Mayo, plus all the Mayo docs have to come to Minneapolis for anything fun to do. TONS of trails and such for biking etc. FYI, Minnesota has a T32 hematology training grant that just got renewed.

Gotta put a plug in for Minnesota here. The Heme/Onc department does more BMT than Mayo, plus all the Mayo docs have to come to Minneapolis for anything fun to do. TONS of trails and such for biking etc. FYI, Minnesota has a T32 hematology training grant that just got renewed.

Yup.

I've been giving Minn love for awhile now. One of the students I was mentoring last year had Minn ranked over Wisconsin she liked it so much. Minn is the real deal for sure. Very research orientated, especially in the sub-specialty divisions.

I don't think Rochester is that big of a deal, nor "dumpy facilities". My issue is with:

1.) Essentially one demographic of patient (sick white people [who can pay, when at the clinic proper])
2.) Questionable amount of accuity - you'll see some, but are you seeing enough?

I hear you - they spend a lot of time addressing those points during the interview day - either things have improved in the past few years, or I drank too much of the koolaid...

I hear you - they spend a lot of time addressing those points during the interview day - either things have improved in the past few years, or I drank too much of the koolaid...

Hey man, it is Mayo :laugh:

They have excellent didactics (too much, if such a thing were possible?) and simulation everything. You may be the type that learns better that way. This is one of the fun things about this time of the year, you get to start deciding how you want to train, because every place will be a little different.

You have a hard time beating their fellowship matches (and they do look kindly on their own for their Cardiology program, arguably top five for that specialty)

Dude, I just took a look at the interview invite thread. You're not going to wind up at Mayo. :laugh:

Our conversation is a moot

I'm new to these boards and I am hoping you guys can give me some advice. I am a mom with a 6 month old baby and I'm interested in doing heme/onc. I'm looking for a program that will train me well, have good fellowship opportunities but is a little easier/cush on their residents given I have a baby take care of. These are some of the programs that Ive gotten interviews at:

Michigan
NYU
MSSM
Cornell
Yale
UMDNJ
Tufts
Emory
UCLA-harbor

Thank you.

I'm new to these boards and I am hoping you guys can give me some advice. I am a mom with a 6 month old baby and I'm interested in doing heme/onc. I'm looking for a program that will train me well, have good fellowship opportunities but is a little easier/cush on their residents given I have a baby take care of. These are some of the programs that Ive gotten interviews at:

Michigan
NYU
MSSM
Cornell
Yale
UMDNJ
Tufts
Emory
UCLA-harbor

Thank you.

Nice set mom! I've head good things about Cornell. Don't know much about cush etc about the rest. Cornell has good subsidized housing and I think they offer a good child care service as well.

Michigan
NYU
MSSM
Cornell
Yale
UMDNJ
Tufts
Emory
UCLA-harbor

Thank you.

From what I've heard harbor is definitely not cush

Hey guys, new to this thread, would like some help in ranking programs. I applied to both community and academic programs mostly in the Southeast. I would say most are middle tiered programs with a couple high tiered and others I do not know where I should place or rank. Ultimately, my career goals are to finish the 3 year IM residency and subspecialize in Infectious Disease, Heme-Onc, or Endocrine then return to an academic hospital and work. Here's the list:

Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN
UCLA in LA, CA
UAB in B'ham, AL
Wake Forest in Winston, Salem, NC
Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, NC
USF in Tampa, FL
UF in Gainesville, FL
Georgetown in DC
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, FL
UT in Chattanooga, TN
Yale (Bridgeport program)
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital in SB, CA
USA in Mobile, AL
UM in Jackson, MS

So I think Mayo in Rochester, UCLA, and UAB are the top tiered on my list I guess meaning top 25-30 programs listed and I have seen multiple posts on this thread that seem to confirm that. Any information on any of these programs be it academic or community would be helpful.

Specifics I could really use help with would be I think someone posted in this thread they thought Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital was a very good community based program. Thoughts? Also thoughts on Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville? Thoughts on Yale affiliated program in Bridgeport?

Thanks in advance for all the help in helping me

considering fellowship and wanting to be close to a city

yale PC
brown
monte
case
jefferson
temple
UMD

any suggestions? and is yale PC still good for applying to fellowships?

Thanks.

when do you tell a program that they will be your number 1? is it more appropriate after the interview or closer to when they finalize the rank list? i would imagine most people don't know for sure until they finish all their interviews. thanks!

when do you tell a program that they will be your number 1? is it more appropriate after the interview or closer to when they finalize the rank list? i would imagine most people don't know for sure until they finish all their interviews. thanks!

Wait until February

Gotta argue here. jdh71 what first hand experience do you have with anything you're talking about in your posts above...? Please don't tell me you achieved this level of enlightenment from one interview day...

I would hate for someone not to apply to Mayo because they read some thing as blatantly wrong as stated in this thread. I actually applied a week late because I was initially swayed against Mayo by some of the bogus info on here back in the day.

Most of St Mary's (the main hospital for the clinic) infirm are drawn from a large cachet (several hundred mile radius) of farmers...most of whom are on the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder. Most doc's patient panels are by and large "rural." Many of the faculty in the primary IM clinics joke that they are old country docs...and in a sense they are correct. The same goes for the subspecialty clinics. There is no argument that we have a HUGE referral base (essentially the entire country and a portion of the world sends their medical mysteries to Mayo), but the majority of patients we see are local folks...no question. Farm accidents are the number one cause of trauma seen in the ED.

Further, MN has the largest Somali population outside of Somalia...so we see plenty of latent TB and odd ball 3rd world diseases. My first day of continuity clinic as a PGY1 I had a farmer, a Somali, and an ex pat from Switzerland. That's pretty diverse IMO.
In regards to acuity, sick people get sicker...and the sickest get really f'ing sick. Why would it be any different here? We see the same spectrum of disease from DKA, to critical limb ischemia, to functional decline, etc. People in Rochester don't mysteriously get different accuities of these illnesses:laugh:. In addition to the normal spectrum of disease, you will see the extremes (primarily in the CCU) after the referring top 25 "academic center" has thrown their collective hands in the air.

The outpatient subspecialty (aka resident education) clinics are a veritable goldmine of papers and abstracts. In regards to autonomy, there are no fellows working with residents in the education clinics, it's just you and the consultant...re-read that sentence and let it sink in. This was my experience in GI clinic, CV clinic, Pulm clinic, Onc clinic, Endocrine clinic, Rheum clinic, etc.

If you take a complete history, give a coherent presentation, and have something resembling a logical plan, then sure...you will get plenty of autonomy in the outpatient clinics. Same goes for the inservice rotations your intern year....the senior resident and attending aren't there to stifle your independence. Quite the opposite, if the attendings get poor evals from residents they get booted from the teaching services. Autonomy is demanded, because starting 2nd year you are alone overnight on GI and Pulm services. If you don't show that you can formulate an independent plan by mid to late intern year you may find yourself flagged for academic "oversight".

People say the subspecialties are "fellow driven" but I'm trying to remember when and where that was the case. Only inpatient Rheum and ID actually have a fellow on the service with residents....and I was thankful to have their input.

The MICU and CCU have an abundance of fellows...but this will become more common with resident work hr restrictions. Somebody has to see the patients.
Wrong. People who live in the cities go to the "U" or the county...it just wouldn't make sense if you were sick to drive an hour north for care. Plus, if you're TRULY SICK, how exactly would you convince the ambulance driver to drive you further for some inexplicable reason. These types of comments are just ridiculous. El oh el.

On the other hand, we get alot of people who travel south from the cities because they're tired of not getting the treatment they expect or the answers they want. I'd be a fool to assume the trail of patients didn't go both ways though...I've seen patients get bent out of shape over their care at Mayo too.

Last edited:
They have excellent didactics (too much, if such a thing were possible?) and simulation everything. You may be the type that learns better that way. This is one of the fun things about this time of the year, you get to start deciding how you want to train, because every place will be a little different.
Again, are you posting heresay? First-hand experience?

IMHO we have excellent didactics. The IM consultants who are "allowed" to rotate on the teaching services have all gone through a validated curriculum that teaches "teachers how to teach." The empahsis is on diagnosing the learner and modifying the teaching style to the learner, rather than modifying the learner to the teaching style.

On inpatient medicine, you have 30 minutes of morning report and a 1 hr noon conference. 1.5 hrs of didactics M-F. Too much??:rolleyes:

Didactics vary on other rotations, but the expectation is at least 30 min to 1 hr of dedicated didactics M-F. Too much??:rolleyes:

We have a very modern simulation center, however, I only went through 4 simulations in 3 years. 1) dealing with a difficult patient 2) 5 unique "codes" as code team leader 3) RIJ line placement and 4) musculoskeletal exam on Rheum. I would rate all 4 sessions as good to very good. How exactly is that "simulation everything"..:rolleyes:

jdh71 said:
You have a hard time beating their fellowship matches (and they do look kindly on their own for their Cardiology program, arguably top five for that specialty)
Can't argue here. The commitment to didactics continues in fellowship training. When I interviewed around the country for CV fellowship, I was struck by how common fellows interpret echoes in isolation using a "poster of formulas." I would argue NOBODY learns best this way.

At Mayo, we have one of the largest dedicated echo floors anywhere...the ratio of learner to consultant is 2:1. That means you get hands on instruction with a level 3 certified Echocardiographer for every encounter....and because it's 2:1, you learn by working the other fellow's case as well. Mayo Cardiology has to be seen to be believed. We aren't the best at everything, and we dont get the numbers of say Cleveland Clinic, but that is the only place I would say offers comparable exposure. But, you will not get the dedication to teaching that you get at Mayo.

This is not the thread for "impressions of Mayo Cardiology" so I will stop there.

Last edited:
Gotta argue here. jdh71 what first hand experience do you have with anything you're talking about in your posts above...? Please don't tell me you achieved this level of enlightenment from one interview day...

mcvygk.jpg

Nah man. I know plenty of people there.

Look your medicine is different when your base is a mostly white, rural population when it comes to patient diversity. If you've not done medicine in a big city hospital, I'd turn the argument around on you and ask how could you possibly know what you didn't see?

And I know for a fact that the surrounding small hospitals send the sickest patients to the cities and not "the U" (unless they are liver or heart/lung tx patients or candidates) but to Regions and Hennepin County. Mayo likes transfers in who can pay, and without arguing the politics or economics of that situation, it decidedly translates into more patients going to the cities and not to Mayo.

Your points about the subspecialties and the fellows I'll have to cede. The complaints here largely came from people rotating in the MICU.

Look, just because some makes some criticism/concerns about your training spots doesn't mean that I'm saying those places are bad. I constantly get PMs asking what is so "bad" about CCF. Nothing. It's just not as good as some people try to tell you. Don't get it twisted. Or get your butthurt.

And I know for a fact that the surrounding small hospitals send the sickest patients to the cities and not "the U" (unless they are liver or heart/lung tx patients or candidates) but to Regions and Hennepin County. Mayo likes transfers in who can pay, and without arguing the politics or economics of that situation, it decidedly translates into more patients going to the cities and not to Mayo.
I don't have any inside info on this, and I've never heard of a potential transfer getting refused because of insurance concerns...but I can imagine that it happens with some degree of regularity.

Your points about the subspecialties and the fellows I'll have to cede. The complaints here largely came from people rotating in the MICU.
No question that the MICU and the CCU are the most fellow driven.

Look, just because some makes some criticism/concerns about your training spots doesn't mean that I'm saying those places are bad. I constantly get PMs asking what is so "bad" about CCF. Nothing. It's just not as good as some people try to tell you. Don't get it twisted. Or get your butthurt.
Agree, but the med students are living and dying by what gets posted in these threads. Just trying to make sure what they read resembles the truth.:thumbup:

Last edited:
The outpatient subspecialty (aka resident education) clinics are a veritable goldmine of papers and abstracts. In regards to autonomy, there are no fellows working with residents in the education clinics, it's just you and the consultant...re-read that sentence and let it sink in. This was my experience in GI clinic, CV clinic, Pulm clinic, Onc clinic, Endocrine clinic, Rheum clinic, etc.

I think the questions about autonomy are not with regards to clinic, but rather the inpatient services. Honestly, how else would a clinic work for a resident other than you seeing the patients and presenting to an attending? Do some places make you stand in the corner while the fellow or attending interviews or examines a patient? That just makes you a glorified medical student.

For the med studs interviewing: "Autonomy" gets thrown around as some magical thing that shouldn't be usurped. Know that it has pros and cons. When you have no idea how to handle a sick patient and no one to ask, it can be a pretty crappy feeling. I can remember more than a handful of times during intern year where I had no idea what to do next for a patient. That said, if you never feel like you are in a little too deep, you won't mature as a doctor. It is a delicate balance between too much and too little help. I know for me, if I always had someone on call with me to ask, I just wouldn't have learned to make decisions on my own.

Taking call alone is a great thing if you have backup around to help. You shouldn't be seeing patients you admit with a senior. But again, that said, there should be someone looking over your shoulder and someone there to ask when you have questions. I personally think the idea of team call (where you and a senior are taking call together) is a bad system for learning.

The MICU and CCU have an abundance of fellows...but this will become more common with resident work hr restrictions. Somebody has to see the patients.

I think this is the thing people are talking about when they worry about not enough autonomy. A fellow should never be the one seeing the patients. It should always be the resident. The best training comes when the residents are the first and often only person to see the patients prior to the presentation to the attending. This is often a major critique of CCF, especially in the CCU where it is almost entirely fellow driven.

The new work hour thing is a bitch for sure is slowly but surely crapping on resident autonomy and education. Thanks ACGME.

View attachment giant-crapping-elf.jpg

I think the questions about autonomy are not with regards to clinic, but rather the inpatient services.

I did address this above...

BlackNDecker said:
Same goes for the inservice rotations your intern year....the senior resident and attending aren't there to stifle your independence. Quite the opposite, if the attendings get poor evals from residents they get booted from the teaching services. Autonomy is demanded, because starting 2nd year you are alone overnight on GI and Pulm services. If you don't show that you can formulate an independent plan by mid to late intern year you may find yourself flagged for academic "oversight".

Whether you get that complete, 100% autonomy your PGY-1 or your PGY-2 year is irrelevant IMHO...as long as you get it. Our program prefers to give the 100%, overnight, alone with complex patients , kind of autonomy during PGY-2.

Instatewaiter said:
Taking call alone is a great thing if you have backup around to help. You shouldn't be seeing patients you admit with a senior. But again, that said, there should be someone looking over your shoulder and someone there to ask when you have questions. I personally think the idea of team call (where you and a senior are taking call together) is a bad system for learning.
I'm not sure you'd call it "team call" but our interns on inpatient medicine will stay overnight with a PGY-3. Two interns with 1 senior resident...it's really more in the event the interns cap out and the MOD needs to plug the patients somewhere. I'd like to think my interns enjoyed the experience. The intern was responsible for the orders, plan, etc and I focused my teaching overnight on relevant "physical exam" findings. There is always something to learn about the physical exam.

FWIW, I moonlight in a small ED an hour out of town. We get everything from CVA, to hemoptysis, to STEMI, to intussusception, to URI, to ingrown toe nail. I have never been at a loss for a plan or had to leave the patient's bedside to search the web. I'd like to think that's the result of a well rounded training program and an enthusiastic learner.

Instatewaiter said:
I think this is the thing people are talking about when they worry about not enough autonomy. A fellow should never be the one seeing the patients. It should always be the resident. The best training comes when the residents are the first and often only person to see the patients prior to the presentation to the attending. This is often a major critique of CCF, especially in the CCU where it is almost entirely fellow driven.

The new work hour thing is a bitch for sure is slowly but surely crapping on resident autonomy and education. Thanks ACGME.
ICU x 3 was a miserable experience for me...but everyone's experience differs. Some people get totally hands off fellows...and some residents wind up with fellows that want to scrap over every measley line. I had a mix of both...but personally, I just don't enjoy the ICU.

Last edited:
very interesting and helpful discussions here. I want to thank all friends who are imbuing this thread with their valuable insight.

After crunching down on lots of the talks here on the forum, I really got the feeling that you cant go wrong with most of these programs and differences tend to be trivial.

Interestingly, for MN programs, I got bashed down pretty harshly by some friends (residents) when I told them I am opting for the cities against mayo. They were all over Mayo (some trained there), and considered me blaspheming.

To tell you the truth, it was more of a gut feeling and nothing scientific built into it. I strongly believe that good education could be procured at the cities and at mayo (and at CCF for that matter), and fellowship placement would be great for all three options.

Correct me if I am wrong :)

I strongly believe that good education could be procured at the cities and at mayo (and at CCF for that matter), and fellowship placement would be great for all three options.

Correct me if I am wrong :)

You aren't seriously suggesting that procuring residency training at any willy-nilly ACGME accredited, regionally recognized, academic medical center will result in sufficient cognitive and technical skillsets to work-up, diagnose, and treat 98.9% of disorders effecting the individuals living on the planet....ARE YOU?!?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If that were truly the case...then you would also be suggesting, by extension of logic, that >90% of the threads in the IM subspecialty forum are pointless.

Insert funny Internet pic.

/irony.

lol you make it sound sinister! :D

no, thats not what I am saying, what i meant is: at the level of programs we are talking about (most of the time on SDN) (Emory, CCF, Mayo, U Minnesota, U Iowa, Dartmouth etc ..) (other than the top 30 that people keep mentioning) one cant really go wrong (or at least I was under this impression)

I cherish hierarchy, and give my elders so much respect :) So correct me if I am wrong

lol forums need vocal-tone cues for the mentally challenged (such as yours truly :D)

You aren't seriously suggesting that procuring residency training at any willy-nilly ACGME accredited, regionally recognized, academic medical center will result in sufficient cognitive and technical skillsets to work-up, diagnose, and treat 98.9% of disorders effecting the individuals living on the planet....ARE YOU?!?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If that were truly the case...then you would also be suggesting, by extension of logic, that >90% of the threads in the IM subspecialty forum are pointless.

Insert funny Internet pic.

/irony.

Look, don't wish too hard for the pointless threads to go away. It is really the only action the IM forum gets.

Without them there would be literally no action in the IM forum and JDH would lose his shit.